Track days plastics - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Track days plastics

Here's what I'm trying to figure out:

I don't want to risk wrecking the OEM plastics on my CBR, as the Smokin Joe parts are rare and expensive.

My two options, replace everything with used OEM plastics from other bikes, or go with race plastics.

I found an upper and lower set, brand new online for about $350, which is much cheaper than new from the vendor (seller's bike was stolen, doesn't need them anymore). But then I'd need a tail section, probably a fender, and then I'd have to remove the headlight. What else would need to go?

Basically, is it going to be a major PITA to convert the bike back and forth if I want to ride it on the street? Or should I just ride on the street the first half of the season, then drop the insurance, convert to track mode and leave it that way?

Arghh...the more toys I by the more complicated everything gets. I'll just NOT crash, then I won't have to worry about any of this stuff....lol

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 08:58 AM

Sportbike: none...all gone
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: ken

You need a track only bike. Might be less in the long run.

CCS race official
sold the track bike
too slow to ride

"Repairs end December 31. 2011."

OK, it was a tough day.....back open again!!!
Bring me your broken down machines.

Butch @ 630-777-0273

Ytrap #819, forever in my prayers.
Arch, this Bud is for you..
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

I know...I just still don't have a house (read:garage) yet cause I cant sell my damn condo. So I walready have 2 bikes spread across 2 relative's garages. I just can't see myself using the Ninja for either a street or a track bike at this point; it's soo outclassed by the CBR.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 09:12 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

I've been in your shoes before...brand spanking new F4i...riding trackdays thinking I won't crash. Wrong! Luckily it was a minor crash and the plastics were still in good enough shape to sell and pay for the trackbike conversion.

If you really want a dual duty bike AND you really treasure your Smokin Joe plastics AND you don't plan on doing more than a handful of trackdays per year AND you don't plan to race or run advanced sessions, then I recommend you buy a used set of street plastics you can tolerate and use them for both. Unless you enjpoy torture do not worry about removing all the lights eeach time you take her to the track.

BTW IMHO, the Smokin Joe skins are not that special. Are you sure you really want to save them?

You should buy Butch's SV as your second bike.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

I'd like have a dual duty bike so I don't have to deal with the cost and maintenance of 2 bikes, plus I'll never want to ride the Ninja after getting used to the CBR.

I don't really 'treasure' the SJ plastics, and the right lower side is already a little scuffed up.

I plan on doing a bunch of trackdays, but no racing or advanced sessions. I'm out there to learn and have fun, I have no desire (or $$) to push the ragged edge.

Maybe I'll just look for spare plastics that are already scuffed up for track days.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 11:53 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

I say just look for a good set of frame sliders and try not to worry about it.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 02:48 PM

Sportbike: GSXR 750
Years Riding: 28 years
How you found us: Cruising the 'net

I did my first year with street plastics. I use a track body now, and swap it when returning the bike to street mode. I bought the body used so I could keep my street plastics in good shape. The track body is much more durable than brittle street plastics, and can even help protect the bike to some degree. I was sure that I would eventually crash and completely wreck my street stuff. As far as crashes, I've seen more in B and I than in A. It's not the speed that gets you, but the mistakes, which happen more to track beginners.

37 track days later, and I'm still waiting for that first crash! But I am sure it will happen eventually. I'm much too chicken (and cheap) to crash!

Unfortunately, riding on the track is so much more fun that I seldom bother to ride the street anymore, so I just leave it in track mode nowdays. I'm signing up for 16 days this year, so I'm pretty sure it will barely see the street.

I think you'd be best off getting a race body, used if you can. I bought mine used, and had to do some fiberglass work to make it good. I got a body and a used tank for about $350.00. It does help give you peace of mind.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 11:56 PM

Sportbike: 04 Zuma, 06 Crf50
Years Riding: sho' nuff!
How you found us: Nesba

f3 and f2's are popular track and race bikes, you can probably find a used set of race glass pretty cheap and just swap it out for the track days.
check out the nesba and wera classifieds... should definitly be able to find something there, nice and cheap too.
That way you won't worry about screwing up the factory stuff at the track and you can push a little harder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode