Track Help - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Joe

Sportbike: 2007 GSX-R600, 2007 KX250F, 2004 YZ450F, 2006 CRF50
Years Riding: As long as I been ridin your mama
How you found us: Joemama

Send a message via MSN to Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Joe
Track Help

I am going to try my luck this year with some track time. My questions are:

What do I need to get to prepare my bike for the track?

I am going to ride it there so will I have to get there real early to get it ready?

Should I look at getting some different tires?

Is there some special tape I should use to cover the heardlight that won't leave a nasty residue?

Also should I remove anything prior; like the turn signals, parts of the faring, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Joe-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Slow Poke

Sportbike: BMW Dakar
Years Riding: since '00
How you found us: member

go to nesba.com and download there riders manual. it's very informative.

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are the legislators."

www.allenskillicorn.com

Follow my views on Life (snarkiness), Liberty (politics), and Pursuit of Happiness (motorsports) on twitter. http://twitter.com/allenskillicorn
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:05 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama
I am going to try my luck this year with some track time. My questions are:

I am going to ride it there so will I have to get there real early to get it ready?

Is there some special tape I should use to cover the heardlight that won't leave a nasty residue?

Also should I remove anything prior; like the turn signals, parts of the faring, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Joe-

tape off all your lightsm use blue tape. pull the fuses for your head lights and turn signals.

yes i would plan on getting there 2 hours before tech opens to get all your stuff done.
if your a B rider, you need to have a good set of tires. BUT be warned a set of race tires are the REAL way to go. much more grip then DOT tires, and the upfront cost of race tires beats, fixeing your smashed up bike cause you lost traction where a race tire wouldnt have.

ALSO if i was rent a truck or something your going to be tired on the way home! not only that god forbid something happens your screwed getting it back home in peices.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:06 PM
G2G

You can pick up duct tape at Menards they sell the colored stuff. Tape over you headlight tailight signals and remove your mirrors when you get there. Or you can tape over them. To be on the safe side saftey wire you fill and drain plug. You can do the filter also while you are at it. For tires you can get by with the oem ones you have on your bike if they have good tread. Or you can buy some pirelli diablo Corsa's or any newer trackday tire. I would not waste my money on full blown race DOT's cuz if you ride to the trackday the will be worthless when you get there. Plus there is no need for them if you are not racing. Michellin has a nice tire that is out called the sport piliot cup of something like that. If you need help with getting the bike ready shoot me a PM and I can stop by and help you out.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys
BUT be warned a set of race tires are the REAL way to go. much more grip then DOT tires, and the upfront cost of race tires beats, fixeing your smashed up bike cause you lost traction where a race tire wouldnt have.

So should I have a set of race tires put on before I head out and then my street tires put back on once I'm done or can I ride with race tires on the street?

Joe-
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Don't ride to the track. Get a ride or rent a truck or trailer. There are quite a few people from around your area that may be able to give you a ride if you pitch in for travel costs.

That's my only bit of advice.

+1 on going to NESBA.com for all other info.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:10 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

What Allen said for the specifics...

Depends on what class you plan to ride in. Everyone starts in Beginner or Introduction. The introduction class allows you to ride 2 twenty min sessions with minimal prep to your bike and relaxed gear requirements.

I am going to ride it there so will I have to get there real early to get it ready? Again, time requirements depend on the class, but for the most part Beginnner or Introduction should only require ~30mins to prep.

What tires do you have on now? As long as you have plenty of tread left, most sportbike tires are more than adequate for a trackday pace...especially in Beginner.

Is there some special tape I should use to cover the heardlight that won't leave a nasty residue? Painters tape works well...the most common is the medium blue flavor. Make sure to unplug your lights or pullout the fuses so that the gum from the tape doesn't get all sticky.

Also should I remove anything prior; like the turn signals, parts of the faring, etc? I recommend removing your mirrors, turn signals are not required, but should be taped up. Any lenses that could break and leave sharp objects on the track should be taped up. (Headlight, turnsignals, reflectors, brake lights, etc.)
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:12 PM
YO MAMA

if you went this route, you need to have them mounted at the track. then take them off and put on the street rubber at the track.

heat cycles is what kills race tires " the tire heating up and cooling down.

i tell you what, your in plainfield so am i.

ill be the closest if you need a hand or what not.

wish i had a trailer but i dont, i use my full size vans to load my bike into.

but anyway,

here are some questions.

how long ya been riding aggressive?
how many track days you plan to do this year?

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

Quote:
So should I have a set of race tires put on before I head out and then my street tires put back on once I'm done or can I ride with race tires on the street?

Joe-
See G2G's post above. You will quickly go through the usefull life of a set of race tires if you were to ride on them to the track. The best bet is to go with some Pirelli Diablo Corsas for dual duty use.
Download the riders manual off Nesba.com (as mentioned earlier).
I would highly suggest that you consider renting a trailer, if you make a mistake (or someone else near you for that matter) you may have trouble on the return leg of the trip.
YOU WILL HAVE A BLAST. ENJOY

the uncarved stone
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Joe

Quote:
here are some questions.

how long ya been riding aggressive?
how many track days you plan to do this year?
This will be my first year on a sportbike, I rode a cruiser before that. I was thinking that I will try 2-3 track days this year depending on how things work out.

Does the beginner class get pretty agressive?

Joe-
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:18 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Don't forget to pull the fuses for the lights, or the tape might get little sticky
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:21 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Does the beginner class get pretty agressive?
Joe-
It can...As long as you stay on your line and don't make sudden, irrational movements, or stop in the middle of the track because you don't know what to do when somethings happens, you should be fine. Take it very easy on your first day and just work on the basics, going as slow as you feel comfortable with. The speed will come later when the technique begins to flow better.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:22 PM
YO MAMA

ahh ok then. simple.

get yourself some of those diablo Corsa's OR a set of metzlers M1 tires "thats what i used a few times" i havent tried the corsa's but the M1's heat up FAST and do a darn good job as long as your not turning 1:25 i think you wont, but if you get close you need race tires.

the B class for the 1st part of the day is a parade WHICH is good it gives you time to get use to the track.

i would suggest IF after your 1st track day you love it and you REALLY wanna get better come back and talk to me.

ill help you out there is PLENTY of guys on here doing track days longer then i have but for some reason, i only have like 3 years of track time 2 years which was nothing really, but i am kicking there ass still and they have been doing it longer then me and i am on a 9R!

well all joking aside, let me know if you need some help.

ill be happy to lead you in the right direction, and not give you bullshit advise.

plus too if you need tips or what not from tech to rider help, let me know ill be in the Team Go FAst pits inside T5 with the boyz.

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:24 PM
YO MAMA

p.s., i didnt mean to sound like dont take other track riders advise, i just meant since we are in the same town, i could give you more info, and a hand if you need it.

PLENTY of hard core track guys and racers on CLSB better then me BIG TIME!

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Joe

Quote:
ahh ok then. simple.

get yourself some of those diablo Corsa's OR a set of metzlers M1 tires "thats what i used a few times" i havent tried the corsa's but the M1's heat up FAST and do a darn good job as long as your not turning 1:25 i think you wont, but if you get close you need race tires.

the B class for the 1st part of the day is a parade WHICH is good it gives you time to get use to the track.

i would suggest IF after your 1st track day you love it and you REALLY wanna get better come back and talk to me.

ill help you out there is PLENTY of guys on here doing track days longer then i have but for some reason, i only have like 3 years of track time 2 years which was nothing really, but i am kicking there ass still and they have been doing it longer then me and i am on a 9R!

well all joking aside, let me know if you need some help.

ill be happy to lead you in the right direction, and not give you bullshit advise.

plus too if you need tips or what not from tech to rider help, let me know ill be in the Team Go FAst pits inside T5 with the boyz.
Thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out. I think I am shooting for the June 11th day at the autobahn for my first.

Joe-
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:33 PM
YO MAMA

cool ill be there, plus too if i can, ill try to set a side of my race tires that are pretty good on the side for you, that way if you want to use them, there yours, i should have a few set of take offs by then

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:41 PM
G2G

If you don't have transportation to the track thats fine you are pretty close to home. I am sure plenty of guys from the board will be going there also if you need a hand. Just bring a packback full of water, gatorade and some food. You will be set. I fyou need anymore help besides Oddy's let us know. Since he is local to you have have nothin to worry about except that he is a slow kawi rider.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:47 PM
YO MAMA

OH i am SO gonna be gunning for you steve this year, hope you do some more nesba days!

OH DUH joemama, here is an idea too, INCASE you decide to ride, i usually have enough room in my van to put some extra stuff in there like gas, tires, cooler, etc..... so you can throw some shit in there if ya want.

p.s. this all is possible as long as you get your ass out to meet us sometime, i have yet to meet you, here i am giving you tack offs, space in my van and the help of a track vet. and i havent even met you, AHHH CLSB!

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:49 PM
G2G

Quote:
OH i am SO gonna be gunning for you steve this year, hope you do some more nesba days!

OH DUH joemama, here is an idea too, INCASE you decide to ride, i usually have enough room in my van to put some extra stuff in there like gas, tires, cooler, etc..... so you can throw some shit in there if ya want.

p.s. this all is possible as long as you get your ass out to meet us sometime, i have yet to meet you, here i am giving you tack offs, space in my van and the help of a track vet. and i havent even met you, AHHH CLSB!

Yeah I have never done a Nesba day but I might this year since they have alot of Autobahn dates. I will have my mounted just in case you get close
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:51 PM
YO MAMA

whats your best at blackhawks or putnam?

post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 05:38 PM
G2G

1:17 on a stock engine SV and 1:19 at Putnam on same set up. These are consistant times not just once every 5 or 6 sessions. I would love to get on a built Sv and or newer FI sv to see what I can crack out.
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Joe

Quote:

I was waiting for the weather to turn, but I suppose I could try to make it to BWW once.

Joe-
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 05:43 PM
YO MAMA

you got me beat, i usually do 20's average with low 19's when i am warmed up, and got a 18.4? i think chasing someone once.

i GOT to work on going in fast this year, VERSUS rolling on it to hard on the exit. i must carry speed!

i got some fine tuning to do this year.

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 05:46 PM
YO MAMA

yep putnam 19's i had to change my set up though.

not bad for 1st time there for a weekend, and it rain on sunday "dizzle" i had one of the motovid guys chasing me and it started to drizzle i dont know what my issue was but with slicks, and even a wet track, being smooth i still ran 19's the motovid guy backed off. i got it on DVD it was some good watching.

i almost have that track down, only was able to get 70% of it down before i left.

post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 05:53 PM

I guess anybody

Hey, not to take over the thread (cause it's extremely helpful) but should I even consider the track with my bike? Also, I have a textile jacket with armor and padding and was about to get some textile pants (I'm only doing beginner stuff). Is that kool as well?
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 05:55 PM
G2G

Trust me if you buy an SV you will learn how to go in hot or else you won't be going anywhere. That is where I drop most of my times. Putnams staight away kills my times.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 06:00 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2Go
Yeah I have never done a Nesba day but I might this year since they have alot of Autobahn dates. I will have my mounted just in case you get close
Hey Steve since you've never done a NESBA day you'll be in B group with me!

I'd email some results to Garth or Mahly and see if you can get bumped a couple times.

-Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 06:03 PM
G2G

I believe I know those two guys but that would be the reason why I would not sign up. To spend money for a trackday and have to be in the B group not being able to pass. No thanks.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 06:10 PM
YO MAMA

Steve as head of CLSB and a member of NESBA i am sure you would only need to run 1 sesson in "I" group with a C.R. behind you, IF not right into A, with my recommendation.

post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2Go
I believe I know those two guys but that would be the reason why I would not sign up. To spend money for a trackday and have to be in the B group not being able to pass. No thanks.
When you sign up, you get the option of picking which group you would start out in. I have heard CRs question some riders abilities, but it's never seemed to be a problem.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode