Getting starting on the right track (pun intended) ;) - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Party on, dudes!

Sportbike: Bianchimatic
Years Riding: not long enuff
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to youngkow
Getting starting on the right track (pun intended) ;)

I want to do track days this year, and I did sign up on nesba. But they don't really have a class that I could take that gives riding lessons. Or did I overlook something on their site? Anyways, this will be my 6th season of riding, but I've never really "pushed" it. Do you think it would be ok just to start at the beginners group or would it be a wiser choice to go with a Learing Curves or something like that? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Thats what beginners class is. Just to get acclimated to track riding. Theres no real pushing it in beginners. Learnign Curves just teached you track etiquette and race procedures. They assume you already know how to control your bike.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 09:13 PM
G2G

No need to go to learning curves till you decide to go racing. It will not help you out as much as alot of trackdays would like Rob said it teaches you the basics of racing like flags and ediquite (sp).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngkow
I want to do track days this year, and I did sign up on nesba. But they don't really have a class that I could take that gives riding lessons. Or did I overlook something on their site? Anyways, this will be my 6th season of riding, but I've never really "pushed" it. Do you think it would be ok just to start at the beginners group or would it be a wiser choice to go with a Learing Curves or something like that? Any advice would be much appreciated.
When you say "riding lessons" do you mean you dont know how to ride yet? or just never been on the track? if youve are just learnign how to ride I would reccomend an MSF course.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 09:58 PM
G2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
When you say "riding lessons" do you mean you dont know how to ride yet? or just never been on the track? if youve are just learnign how to ride I would reccomend an MSF course.
Hey Tony I think he means on the track trying to push it. He has been riding for a while.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2Go
Hey Tony I think he means on the track trying to push it. He has been riding for a while.
Ok just checking, I'm just picturing someone at a nesba day trying to figure out how to use the clutch

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 10:04 PM
G2G

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Party on, dudes!

Yeah, I've been riding for 5 years, although I just signed up for a MSF class this year. Thought it'd be handy and I also heard it would help with insurance. I just wanna be safe on the tracks. But if the beginners group doesn't push it too much, then I guess I can gradually learn the techniques. Thanks guys!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 06:04 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
You may want to consider a school, like Star or California Superbike School. As far as location, I recommend looking for a school at Gingerman, it's a bit safer with respect to run off room compared to other local tracks.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 07:43 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
NESBA's beginner group is pretty mellow and very safe.

I'd also highly recommend PrivateTrackTime or SportbikeTrackTime. PTT will have several dates at Blackhawk and Autobahn this year. STT runs at Gingerman and also Autobahn. PTT offers a lower track density and has scheduled dates that are specifically designed for track newbies (complete with drills and a low student-to-instructor ratio). STT has a very structured beginner group that includes skill-building drills and classroom time.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Slow Poke

Sportbike: BMW Dakar
Years Riding: since '00
How you found us: member

I'm a big fan of nesba. I took the free intro with about 1.5 yrs of street riding experience. I had no desire to race or even do serious track days at the time, I just thought it would be fun to try out. I sucked, look at my pic. Back then I thought that was a lot of lean angle (I ocasionaly even scrapped my toes). Man I sucked. doing that nesba intro day was the BEST thing I ever did on a bike!

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are the legislators."

www.allenskillicorn.com

Follow my views on Life (snarkiness), Liberty (politics), and Pursuit of Happiness (motorsports) on twitter. http://twitter.com/allenskillicorn
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngkow
Yeah, I've been riding for 5 years, although I just signed up for a MSF class this year. Thought it'd be handy and I also heard it would help with insurance. I just wanna be safe on the tracks. But if the beginners group doesn't push it too much, then I guess I can gradually learn the techniques. Thanks guys!
You should go to the ERC course, not the MSF. MSF will not do you any good, and the erc issues the same sort of certification that may help you out on insurance rates. I took the ERC course with 500 miles under my belt. I already knew haw to ride, I was just interested in strategies etc.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 11:05 AM

Sportbike: 2006 FZ1
Years Riding: I only take walks

Send a message via Yahoo to Cougar8000
Brian, I would disagree with you on BRC and ERC point. ERC primarily works on improving your ability to ride. While BRC reinforces your riding ability it also drives home the point of gathering information and paying attension on the road. And how to deal in diferent situations.

That said I firmly believe that BRC should be taken at least once every 5 year to sharpen your mental road skills. And ERC taken in between. I.e every 2 to 3 years alternate then.

Alex - Certifiable MSF Instructor
2006 Yamaca FZ1
The truly happy person enjoys the scenery on a detour

A man should choose a friend who is better than himself. There are plenty of acquaintances in the world; but very few real friends.

RIDE for Kids Donations

https://www.mishacycles.com
MishaCycles on facebook
Misha Tactical Arms, Inc
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 11:28 AM
I break everything!

Sportbike: SV650S, ZX6R, GSXR600
Years Riding: Since 04/2003
How you found us: Google

Like Kim said, SBTT holds a very structured track day for beginners. They had mandatory classroom sessions where they would go over things like countersteering, lines through the corners, hanging off the bike, and such. When I did it, they split the beginners group up into seperate groups as well depending on your relative ability and had about one instructor for every 4 or 5 students.

I've rode with NESBA and SBTT, and I think SBTT is great for first timers, but the mandatory class sessions get a bit tedious if you have to keep on going and hearing the same things over and over again, so I've been doing mostly NESBA since then.

SBTT is hoding a track day at Putnam Park on April 9-10, and NESBA is at Blackhawk Farms the next weekend

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar8000
Brian, I would disagree with you on BRC and ERC point. ERC primarily works on improving your ability to ride. While BRC reinforces your riding ability it also drives home the point of gathering information and paying attension on the road. And how to deal in diferent situations.

That said I firmly believe that BRC should be taken at least once every 5 year to sharpen your mental road skills. And ERC taken in between. I.e every 2 to 3 years alternate then.
I have seen youngkow ride, and from what I know of the MSF course, I would say he has the basics mastered.

I have never taken the MSF course, so you are suggesting that I should take it? What possible benefit would there be? I need to learn how to walk my bike? Or learn how to ride a 250?

I can appreciate reinforcing street strategy, for the casual rider. But, when you ride 10-20k miles a year, do not you formulate strategies that work for you, and your riding style? The ERC course has 4 hours of class that goes over street strategy.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 12:25 PM

Sportbike: 2006 FZ1
Years Riding: I only take walks

Send a message via Yahoo to Cougar8000
Brian, I am not suggesting that you or youngkow take one. My statement was general not related to your experience. Most riders do not put more then 6K a year even if that. Those people are the one that are primary candidates for the course.

On the other hand. It might not pertain to you, but it is right on the dollar for someone else. Some people even if they put more then 10K a year does not mean they know basic road strategy and avoidance techniques.

Last year a had an older gentelmen in my class, he was in his 70th. Riding for more then 40 years and when we were done with the class on Saturday he was surprised how much he did not know.

I know people that been riding for sometime and still have no clue what counter steering is all about. God fobit if I try to explaine it to them, since they are so convinced that they know it all.

I guess it is all comes down to how true are you to your self. If you have a even a slight doubt take the course.

Too much pride is a sure recepy for disaster.

I think we are getting away from the main topic. We can continue this in another post or in person over acold one.

Alex - Certifiable MSF Instructor
2006 Yamaca FZ1
The truly happy person enjoys the scenery on a detour

A man should choose a friend who is better than himself. There are plenty of acquaintances in the world; but very few real friends.

RIDE for Kids Donations

https://www.mishacycles.com
MishaCycles on facebook
Misha Tactical Arms, Inc
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Party on, dudes!

Thanks guys for all the advice. I guess I should've gone for the ERC, but thought I needed to do the BRC first. I just want to be the safest rider possible. Anyhoo, thanks again everyone! Now to look for a trailer........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode