Who's interested in attending a track school in 2003? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Who's interested in attending a track school in 2003?

Ok, a few of us have tossed around the idea about attending a track school (i.e. Reg Pridmore, Keith Code, etc...) to improve our riding and track skills. Although they can be somewhat costly I thought that if we get a group together to attend we may be able to get a price break (kinda like a group buy). So let me hear from ya, who'd be interested in attending a track school next year. If the interest is out there I'll do the leg work and see what we can come up with.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 12:07 AM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: SBN

interested yes, but $$$ would be a major factor.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 12:13 AM

Me Too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 02:25 AM

count me in.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 05:10 AM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

I'd be in if you are talking about a local school. I'm probably going to do one like Learning Curves. Their price isn't that bad. I also want to do several track days. NESBA control riders will give you some good feedback if you ask. I try to talk to a different CR after each session. (is "you suck" good feedback?)

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 06:24 AM
Slow Poke

Sportbike: BMW Dakar
Years Riding: since '00
How you found us: member

FYI, I actually got more out of my Nesba beginner day than the Learning curves school. The LC school is focus on getting you your CCS license. I learned more about procedure, when to do warm up laps, and stuff than riding. I even approached the instructors and asked for advise.

The big $$ school could be a little different, but riding is very subjective. Most riders don't agree about certain techniques. The schools are only effective if taken with a grain of salt.

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are the legislators."

www.allenskillicorn.com

Follow my views on Life (snarkiness), Liberty (politics), and Pursuit of Happiness (motorsports) on twitter. http://twitter.com/allenskillicorn
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 07:33 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time

$$$$ will be an issue but I'd like to

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 09:09 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

What? A class that might teach me how NOT to make an ass out of myself at trackdays? Or maybe even how to avoid that pothole on the way to work?

I'd be up for that. I'll agree with the masses on the $$ issue, but I'm definitely interested.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 09:18 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Quote:
Originally posted by Underdog
What? A class that might teach me how NOT to make an ass out of myself at trackdays? Or maybe even how to avoid that pothole on the way to work?

I'd be up for that. I'll agree with the masses on the $$ issue, but I'm definitely interested.
I heard allen is giving a class on this out in huntley!!!

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 09:24 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

You guys really need to attend a NESBA day other than BHF where there isn't a maxed out group of beginners. BHF is always crowded because of it's proximity.

A perfect example is my my first ever track weekend at Putnam Park almost exactly one year ago. I had Carol Drucker spend time with me ALL DAY day Saturday...every session. I was the slowest guy out there....I got lapped 2-3 times by Mark and Steve. By Sunday I moved up to the CR Jim who helped me a ton....he spent most of the day with me. Stupid little things he noticed like my foot position made a world of difference. Sunday afternoon there were <10 beginners out there....by the last session there were a handful of out there. I was working with Garth. Get to more NESBA days and ask for help before you line up in the staging area. The CRs want to help, just ask.

For $1000 they better have umbrella chics bl*wing me after each session....
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 09:25 AM

Ryan (Slickrock22) did the Keith Code school and said it was a waste of time and money.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally posted by Kruz
You guys really need to attend a NESBA day other than BHF where there isn't a maxed out group of beginners. BHF is always crowded because of it's proximity.

A perfect example is my my first ever track weekend at Putnam Park almost exactly one year ago. I had Carol Drucker spend time with me ALL DAY day Saturday...every session. I was the slowest guy out there....I got lapped 2-3 times by Mark and Steve. By Sunday I moved up to the CR Jim who helped me a ton....he spent most of the day with me. Stupid little things he noticed like my foot position made a world of difference. Sunday afternoon there were <10 beginners out there....by the last session there were a handful of out there. I was working with Garth. Get to more NESBA days and ask for help before you line up in the staging area. The CRs want to help, just ask.

you had all this hands on training and I still kept up with you on my first track day? Boy, with a bit more practice I'll have you carrying my jock around the pits and washing my bike, honda boy.

Chris
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Your probably right. I think I've learned more following Ken and some of the rest of you guys around the streets this summer than I have in the whole 9 years I've been riding. Next year NESBA day is a must.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 09:38 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Quote:
Originally posted by Vcook

you had all this hands on training and I still kept up with you on my first track day? Boy, with a bit more practice I'll have you carrying my jock around the pits and washing my bike, honda boy.
yes, but he looks good with that knee down doesnt he!!

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 09:40 AM

Read Twist II. It really helps!!!!!!!!

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 09:54 AM

I took two schools - neither was cheaper than 350$/day and STAR was where (at Road America) I learned a lot. It's mostly things you already hear/know but it does help to hear them from the current AMA FX champ/his flunkies and to see them and how f-ing fast they really are.

I think I posted something (long) about STAR on another board, I'll try and dig it up for you guys. Also - my personal thoughts I agree w/Kruz. If you haven't been on a track before or aren't comfortable out there then you won't get as much (read waste of $$) out of a day where you just ride. Once things become automatic for you and you can start concentrating on certain things is when a school becomes worthwhile IMO.

P.S.
Since people can't agree what even turns a bike it's easy to understand they don't agree on how to ride it - so go to these schools and try to take from them what works for you and not everything.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 09:58 AM

found it:

I did Road America yesterday for the first time w/STAR. LTL, I hope you got your headshake problems solved!! That is one FAST track - very different from the tighter tracks I'm used to - but it was cool to have the extra HP motoring down all the different straights. Saw 178 indicated, and was in the 170s a few times... braking is a lot different than from 140s! I ran in the advanced group and there were some Really Fast guys - also the instructors were the real deal as well... I was behind one (ok, he blasted by me on the brakes) going into 5 and he backed the rear into the turn, and then lit it up through the carousel. Cooool....

What I learned:
SET UP YOUR BODY EARLY - especially for the crazy braking at Road America, it really helped illustrate to me how important it is to set up early, get your downshifts in, and then brake. My bike went from bucking underneath me to a smooth ride.

they're big fans of practicing "middle" entry lines - helps when your racing and someone is on the outside going into a turn.

reference points - they are your friend, be very conscious of them... I noticed I had them, but wasn't deliberately aware of what I was using. Once I made an effort to sort it out, no matter what the corner, I was faster though it.

I also gained 10MPH through the carousel after getting off the bike even more.

Corner exit speed is absolutely critical at Road America, unless your the guy on a liter bike surrounded by 600s All in all I had a good time and I really gain a lot of useful information. I was running sub 3 minute lap times at the end of the day but not by much E. Boz set the lap record there a few weeks ago with a 2.08... WOW.

P.S.
It was cool motoring down the track and seeing the places where I watched the AMA guys a few weeks ago... I got to pretend I was Nicky until I had to brake
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Chris....I don't think so....

I was slow at the SBN day and told you where and when I would pass you. You were helpless as I burned past you.....I've improved a ton since then.

I'm turning consistent 1:28s and 1:29s at BHF....even a couple 1:27s. Since you are still a street squid and cannot relate I'll give you point of reference....Our local fast guys like Cherry and Loudes are turning 1:22s, JimGoslow is a little higher but I question his timer?

I am not fastest by any means, but I do get a little better every time. I know where I can shave a few seconds off, I just like to take baby steps along the way.

YOU NEED TO QUIT TALKING SMACK AND MAKING EXCUSES AND GET THAT LAME GIXXER OUT TO THE TRACK....I'll beat you (again)like the red-headed child you are...

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Man, its so easy to push your buttons. Your just mad that when I went to the track I was leading your ass for a while. Yeah, I had to do some following too, but that was like riding behind an old lady. I dont want to hear any excuses from you either! If and when I get my sorry ass to the track I'll show you who's boss.

Chris
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 10:16 AM

Quote:
yes, but he looks good with that knee down doesnt he!!
DAM STRAIGHT I DO!!!! Thanks Jim

And I don't even need Jack's photochop....

I really think that the non get off the bikers (Jim, Dave, and even Ryan) are going to hit a wall in progress sometime soon. You guys are fast and smooth no doubt, but you are nearing your lean limits. Man, once I learned how to "get off" I felt so much more comfortable leaning it over.

Have anyone of you ever gone snowmobiling...I mean real tight fast trail riding where sharp turning is crucial? If you have you know you need to at times shift all your weight to the side you are turning. The principle is bikes is similar, get off that seat and lean that bitch over!!!!! You'll be suprised how much you can get off.

BTW, Michael....
Ryan is Advanced but has been riding for less than a year....he just has some massive balls....well at least he used to...until he highsided at MAM. Now he barely even comes out
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 10:19 AM

Chris...you were leading because I let you line up in front of me.

Come on out to Putnam.....last NESBA event of the year.

Did you buy Fred;s leathers yet or are you still sticking to the house story?

Hey....Did you close yet on that townhouse yet....
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Hey....Did you close yet on that townhouse yet....
oct. 11th

Chris
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 10:38 AM

Chrissy started it.....
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 10:41 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Obviously i was going to fast for you to watch sunday, but if you could have seen you would have seen me off the bike, what i dont do like the rest of you is put my knee 3 miles out. that is the best ive ever rode on the track and i can see the improvement, getting the knee down(by the way i did) consitently will come, that wasnt my big concern, i wanted to be smooth before i go for the balls to the wall thing.

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 10:50 AM
habitual line stepper

Sportbike: F4,Brutale,Warrior,DRZ
Years Riding: X

Send a message via AIM to Jack
trash talk, ya gotta love it!

You guys sound like a bunch of Jerry's kids fightin over a pudding pop!

No offense to Jerry's kids of course....

I'm lov'n it!
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack
umustdie, I alone am best

i love your titles. is this a reference to the song by the bloodhound gang that starts with this line? Somehow I didn't picture you as a megadeth/bloodhoundgang fan. Man, talk about bastardizing a thread.

Chris
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 11:48 AM
habitual line stepper

Sportbike: F4,Brutale,Warrior,DRZ
Years Riding: X

Send a message via AIM to Jack
Vcook, you're good! Yep, Bloodhound gang....
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 11:57 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Quote:
Originally posted by Vcook

i love your titles. is this a reference to the song by the bloodhound gang that starts with this line? Somehow I didn't picture you as a megadeth/bloodhoundgang fan. Man, talk about bastardizing a thread.
You havent been by his suburban at the track have ya??

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast

You havent been by his suburban at the track have ya??
I think I have to check it out now. We have similar tastes in music.

Chris
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 12:44 PM

how much if resonable i am considering very much so

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode