Chris Carr Signed My Sweatshirt! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Chris Carr Signed My Sweatshirt!

Flew out to Delaware on Thursday to attend the 2-dayAmerican Supercamp in Harrington.

The program was held in the horse arena at the State Fairgrounds. There were about 45 riders, split into 3 groups according to abilities. Participants ranged from expert-level club racers to sport touring street riders, the youngest were teenagers and the oldest was a gentleman in his early 70's.

We started at 10:00 with a classroom session discussing the fundamentals of body positioning, charging the corner, turning and gassing out, and rode until 6. Beverages, fresh fruit and kick-butt chocolate chip cookies were provided, along with a catered lunch (Friday was spaghetti with meat balls, salad and all the trimmings... Saturday featured chicken Vesuvio!).

We performed a variety of drills, crashed a lot and had a great time. Chris Carr was the guest instructor - I tell you, it's easy to see why he's a six-time champion. The bike was a perfect extension of his body and he clearly loved what he was doing. Watching him was pure poetry in motion.

Flat track is an incredibly physical sport. The riding style is completely different from street riding or roadracing... instead of leaning forward and in, you're supposed to lean back while up on the gas tank, keeping your hips ahead of your shoulders - and counterweight the bike. I found myself wishing I'd spent more time working on my upper body strength (especially when we were doing the "donut drill"), although my legs were fine. If you're considering taking this school you'll want to do some real conditioning if you're not already pretty seriously athletic.

Day 1 we rode a very short oval... learning the lines and the bikes. Two or three instructors would ride amongst us, and the others would be standing at various points on the track, giving direction. As the day went on, they'd "mess" with us... bumping our back tires, causing us to slide... poking our butts with sticks when we weren't moving them properly... it was an absolute BLAST!

Day 2 the track was set up as a mini TT course (left and right turns). Mid-morning, they soaked the track and we went out to play in the mud. It's all about traction management - learning to feel what the bike is doing and controlling it. We were out there having a blast - racing each other, falling down, getting up laughing and covered in umm.. mud (did I mention this was an equestrian arena?)

Things started to "click" for me on the afternoon of the 2nd day. I was starting to get the rhythm, had relaxed and was getting in progressively deeper and harder (hey, it's all relative). I'd gone off the line coming out of a turn after avoiding a crashed rider when disaster struck. I came out waaay wide in some very soft muck... got on the gas, was riding out the fishtail when I fell down hard with the bike on my right knee. Danny told me later that he and Chris were both watching when I fell, and cringed when they saw where my leg ended up. I got up right away, got the bike started up again with a little help and managed to ride a couple more laps. I was limping a bit at the end of the session and something just didn't feel "right". By the time we were to suit up for the next session, it was starting to "give out" when I walked. Uh oh... I was done for good at around 5:00. By the time I had cleaned up, loaded my gear and driven 30 miles to my Mom's house, I could hardly get out of the car. After a late-night visit to the emergency room, I'm now sporting a full leg brace and crutches, and will be seeing my orthopaedic guy as soon as I get back to Chicago. Guess who won't be racing at Road America this weekend!

All in all, Supercamp was a fantastic experience. I'll definitely be back next April - and maybe sooner!

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 02:55 PM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

good write up.

sorry to hear about the knee.

what do you think is wrong? ACL?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 03:39 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Ouch..much worse than when we talked. You hit the emergency room after I called?

Sucks, especially so close to racing season.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

I'm glad you had fun.

Told you so!

Sorry about the knee.

Ready to buy a RM100?

P.S. I have a CC sig on my lid.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Evil Moderatrix

Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!

Yeah, by the time I got to Mom's I could barely get out of the car - so we went to dinner and then up to the E.R. I'm hoping it's not ACL - actually I just hope that whatever it is, is just sprained and not torn. This is the WRONG time of year for surgery!

We'll find out (hopefully) Tuesday or Wednesday.

Kim
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

I was really jealous until you mentioned the knee thing. Now I'm just jealous, not really.

Hope you get better quickly and that it's no big deal.

Bill Taborn, Jr.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 08:20 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

WOW heal up fast Kim, what kinda race school was it for?

flat tracking or some course to inprove on road course with our bikes?

reason i was is, having AMA racers RIP by me when i am turning 19' and 18's the way they did, i need more learning!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 08:51 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys
WOW heal up fast Kim, what kinda race school was it for?

flat tracking or some course to inprove on road course with our bikes?

reason i was is, having AMA racers RIP by me when i am turning 19' and 18's the way they did, i need more learning!
American Supercamp is a school for flat tracking. But almost every fast, sort of fast, fast guy/girl on any race track has to know how to use traction and how to react when it's not there. This school seems to teach that. All fast American riders (bostroms, haydens, etc.) put some serious seat time and racing doing flat track. Plus, you ride for two days balls out because it's not your bike your crashing! Not that it's possible to destroy an XR100

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20

glad you had fun Kimmy. Sorry to hear about the knee. Heal up girl I still have to catch you on the track. If I ever get back on it.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:07 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

AHH thats what i was thinking grover, traction managment period! i just didnt know if Kim was going into a differance hobby now.

Kim, when ever you get a chance post up some more details, like how much was it, how good was it, do you feel the instructors REALLY helped teach and get it threw the students or was it, go out there and try to stay up while i push you

thank kim

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Evil Moderatrix

It was $600 for two days (they don't do a one-day program)... the instructors are some of the TOP flat-track riders out there BUT they also have excellent communication skills and are VERY willing to work with you to help you "get it". It's all about having a good time - bottom line. There's a reason why Supercamp events sell out months in advance.

I'd recommend it highly.

Kim
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 07:28 AM

Sportbike: CURRENTLY LOOKING
Years Riding: since I was 8
How you found us: The NET is MINE

Heal Up Kimmy!

Logtar - John

My Blog - @Logtar - Google+
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 10:35 AM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
Not that it's possible to destroy an XR100
Danny Walker is very proud of the fact that they have done that in one of their classes. Otherwise the bikes are in top shape.

GUYS! How many years have I been telling you about this school and how much better a rider it will make you? I've gone to the Springfield class for years. I'm finally going to miss one this year. It is the best 6 bills you can spend on riding.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode