Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover

Well, I didn't seem to see a thread, so I guess I'll start it. I had other commitments this weekend(read: Army). I did go to the LCR Advanced Rider's course on Monday. It was in conjunction with the LP track day today. Even though Yahoo and Weather.com BOTH said 80% chance of rain throughout most of the day, we only got a couple sprinkles after the track went green at 9. By 10AM, pretty much everybody could go full tilt.

This was the first time for me at Blackhawk since the last CLSB day, so I spent the better part of the day getting my bike legs back. By the end of the day I was down to within 5 seconds of last year's race pace.

Rick taught some good things in the school. Feedback wasn't that great and we didn't get a chance to get T7 critiqued. He was a bit short handed, it was just him and Mark Stiles, guru of 2 smokes. He did explain how to learn different lines, which will be essential if I want to pass certain bikes on the track. I passsed Kimmy coming into T1, next time out she changed her line to block it . Guess I'll have to try that super deep, throw it in pass.

My brakes are pretty much shot now. Sad thing is they are only SLIGHTLY more used than my tires (little over a year). Either Ed and Super Dave set the bike up perfectly or I'm super slow. Race tires lasting a year??

I'll probably do the Private Track Time day in a couple weeks to help find a couple more seconds.

-Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 10:11 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Shouldn't this be in the Track Talk forum?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz
Shouldn't this be in the Track Talk forum?
That appears to be the unwritten rule. The forum for After ride reports states "discussion of how much fun you had riding with your buddies". Doesn't specify track or just street. I have started similar threads in both and had both moved before. Maybe the forum descriptions should be updated??

But all that's I'd like to get the details on how Jeff, Kim, and Dave did.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
It's been three weeks shy of a year since my last race. Even though I'd managed seat time at both Mid-America and Autobahn in the past month, I was still somewhat apprehensive as to how far I'd "reset".

Threw on my practice tires Friday morning and started cranking out laps. Attendance was fairly light, so the practice was run in an open track format - closing periodically to allow traffic in. I alternated between the '98 and the '00 and quickly got into a smooth, steady rhythm.

After lunch, we split into two groups (AM and EX) and began running 20-minute sessions - and John put our beacon out. I took a quick look and was both surprised and thrilled to see that I was clicking out times on a par with what I had been struggling to reach LAST spring. We swapped out the tires on the '98 with the latest and greatest dual-compound Michelins... after one warm-up lap, I clicked off a full second faster than I'd managed to run last year - and without even feeling like I was working hard! I was STOKED!! When registration opened that evening, I signed up for three more sprint races in addition to SuperTwins.

Cindy didn't need me on the bridge Saturday, so I pretty much hung out and relaxed. The awesome guys over at Lithium Motorsports had generously donated several items to our impromptu silent auction (which netted $500 to be divided between the Wegman Benefit Fund and the Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer, in the names of the recently-deceased fathers of two prominent members of the local racing community - "Super Dave" Rosno and Vesrah Suzuki's Mark Junge).

Sunday morning, went out for two very comfortable practice sessions, then gridded up for the first race of the day, Unlimited Supersport. Finished 8th, grinning from ear to ear!

Heavyweight Supersport went well too... but by the time HWSB rolled around, my rear tire was looking quite shagged. Still, I managed to avoid a last-place finish.

Last race of the day was SuperTwins. Gridded on the first AM row alongside Dave, Michael Jordan and Mark Bernard, it was going to be a fun race. In my excitement, I blew past my grid spot by about three rows... frantically backpedaling as the first wave (ULSB) took the green flag. Yikes! My miserable start left me well behind the field, and I struggled to regain ground. Coming around Turn 7 on the last lap, I suddenly lost all drive and the motor ZINGED past redline. WTF??? I pulled in the clutch and started messing with the shifter, frantically waving my arm as I moved to the inside line. Missed pit-in and nursed her down the front straight, crossing the start/finish line. Come to find out I'd spit the chain! GRRRRRRRrrrrrr...

John had the bike back together and ready for Monday morning (the Learning Curves advanced rider school). We made suspension changes in an attempt to clean up the badly shredded back tire. Unfortunately, this made the bike noticeably harder to ride. The more we changed, the more unhappy I was. Finally, we took the bike and tires over to Tom Mason, the Michelin Guy, who observed that John had mounted the softest tire in our inventory (the set we had purchased to use at Road America!) - hence the excessive wear. Threw on a different, new set of skins just in time for the last session of the day and returned the suspension settings to what my tuner, "Super Dave" Rosno, had prescribed... and I went back out for my favorite part of the day - practicing race starts. After every lap, John would come out on the grid to inspect my tires for wear. I was pretty tired, but the bike felt good. On the last "practice start", I looked to my left and saw I was gridded next to Grover. Watching the "1" board turn sideways, I felt the familiar surge of adrenaline through my veins, knowing I HAD to give it my all this time. Green flag dropped and I was full-tilt-boogie heading into Turn One. Knowing Grovie was most likely hot on my heels, I pushed as hard as I could... all the way to the checkered flag.

Thanks to: Spyder Leather Works, SportbikeMike.com, Trackside Engineering, Lockhart Phillips, Suomy USA, APAC Customer Services, Inc., Learning Curves, PrivateTrackTime.com, VisionSports and the Midwest Safety Crew!

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!

Last edited by KBOlsen; 05-09-2005 at 11:03 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 10:44 PM

Sportbike: All kinds.....
Years Riding: motorcycles are dangerous
How you found us: as

Well the weekend was okay....not too bad not too good tho...
had tons if issues with the bike.....Did what I could to work thru them....got down 1:12.0xxs. Not too bad since everyone was going a bit slower than last year's (the last bhf in sept) pace. Larry and Shawn were doing mid high 11s on their 600s. Had some good battles with my buddy Brian Hall. Won HWSB and took 2nd by (.009 sec) to Brian in HWSS and a couple of 3rds behind larry and shawn. Like I said all and all not too bad of a weekend....Pitched my bike on the last lap of ULGP in the last turn (T7)...tucked the front in a battle for 2nd. I'm having some issues with the front Michelins.
The '05, I'm learning is quite a bit different then the '03-04 bikes. (R6s)

It was good to see some of you out at the track havin' some fun.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

Well for me I spent all day Sat. wrenching on the bikes. I got a new rear shock for the one, that was easy enough.
Then for the other one, I had some bushings made up that were suppose to take the play that was in the shock out
leave it to say that didn't work so well and it was still moving around, so I just threw it back together and
hoped for good weather since the other bike had slicks on it. Luckily the weather did hold out, so I ran the bike
with the shock problem for the Supersport race then the other one for the remaining races.

All of the races I got a great start and was either first or second going into one, but it didn't take long
before the really fast guys got by me. I finsihed 4th in Supersport but then one guy got DQ's for the stupid
air filter deal again, and Ryan Hall withdrew because someone was complaining that his bike wasn't supersport
legal, and he was only running that race because a friend of his was suppose to be in it. So he just withdrew, which
wound up leaving me with a 2nd place finish for that one. Then there was a guy who had just taken his license
clinic the day before and that guy was flying too, running 19'2 and I think some 18's. So I've got some work
to do to gain about 3-4 seconds which should be interesting.

Other than that pretty undramatic, and sometimes downright boring 2 of my races I wound up riding aroudn by
myself in 5th place which gets boring, I like "racing" with people.

Then Supertwins I managed to finish 4th, I had 3rd for about 3-4 laps but then a guy on RC51 got by me, and
I wasn't catching him back.

All in all it was a good weekend though, good finishes and good points, I'm in 2nd now for Superbike and Supersport
Not sure about Supertwins since one set of race results still hasn't been posted and 5th for GP.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 09:13 AM

Kim....are you gonna finish your story or what?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 09:24 AM

Sportbike: R6, FE570, TZ250, CFR450
Years Riding: 33
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to racingxtc7 Send a message via Yahoo to racingxtc7
Still, getting use to the bike. Saturday, mostly 1:25s with some 1:24s and 1:23s. Sunday, some 1:22s in practice. I know where I need to work on. I'm hoping for sub 1:20s next time!!. We'll see. Season goal is 1:18s.

CCS/USGPRU#976
<----Jeff
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 09:32 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

i wanna hear some lap times!

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 09:37 AM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

You guys are my heroes and heroine, K.B.

Bill Taborn, Jr.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 10:12 AM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

I learned 2 things this race weekend. No.1: I need to lose about 40lbs. No. 2: I'm slow. I finished 5th in my race and never been so glad to place so low since I felt like I was about to pass out by the 3rd lap. I'm surprised nobody came by me after I ran out of steam. My lap times were a joke so I won't even comment on that. I hope to be in a bit better shape by the next race.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!

Brian... "slow" is always relative. As Ed Key says, "Lap times don't win races".

Set small yet distinct and clear goals for yourself every time you go out. Focus on one specific area of your performance at a time. Break it down corner-by-corner if you need to. Scare yourself just a little bit. It'll come around when you least expect it. (You've been doing this longer than me, so I'm sure I'm not saying anything you don't already know).

Are you doing any cardio? Try to get at least 30 min./day 5 or 6 days a week. Sweat is good. Guys can lose weight much more readily than women, especially at the outset. You'll be getting your leathers altered by July!

Kim
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!

Last edited by KBOlsen; 05-10-2005 at 10:59 AM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 11:13 AM

KIm?

How did you finish in that race?....you know the one you started to talk about.

Quit being a tease
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOlsen
Brian... "slow" is always relative. As Ed Key says, "Lap times don't win races".

Set small yet distinct and clear goals for yourself every time you go out. Focus on one specific area of your performance at a time. Break it down corner-by-corner if you need to. Scare yourself just a little bit. It'll come around when you least expect it. (You've been doing this longer than me, so I'm sure I'm not saying anything you don't already know).

Are you doing any cardio? Try to get at least 30 min./day 5 or 6 days a week. Sweat is good. Guys can lose weight much more readily than women, especially at the outset. You'll be getting your leathers altered by July!
Ed's new motto should be "lap times don't win races but bikes that don't have electrical issues do"

Anyways, it wasn't that I needed to break down the track and work on anything specific. It was more or less my head not being in the game. I was having a hard time hitting my marks and it was just a struggle to get any kind of rhythm going. Found myself trying too hard and getting tired in the process. I found out early April that I weighed 233lbs (most I've ever weighed in my life) and bought myself a treadmill and started running about 3 miles every night and burning about 600 calories a night right up to Thursday of last week. I lost about 9lbs and definately lost some inches off my waist but boy was I in for a surprised when every part of my body was burning after just one session on Friday. Hopefully I'll drop a few more lbs and get some stamina back for the next race. My goal is to be at 185lbs by the September round at Autobahn so I can be competitive against the dwarfs that usually ride 250 GP bikes.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys
i wanna hear some lap times!
Well mine sucked I was off pace and didn't even go faster in the race than I did in practice which is odd usually race pace is about 1-2 seconds faster.

Anyway I was running 1:22's - 1:23's consistantly but nothing better.

Ken, you need to start racing man they've added classes this year that your 9R can run in. Now there are 3 or 4 unlimited classes where you can run up 1000cc motorcycles.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 11:35 AM

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Rice
I weighed 233lbs...My goal is to be at 185lbs by the September round at Autobahn so I can be competitive against the dwarfs that usually ride 250 GP bikes.
Wow, I haven't been that light since I was a senior in high school! That must KILL my lap times.

Bill T., Jr.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Taborn
Wow, I haven't been that light since I was a senior in high school! That must KILL my lap times.

Bill T., Jr.
Not if you ride a GSXR1000. I think I was around 210 last year and I did some 15's at blackhawk on a 1000 the very first time I rode it. Weight shouldn't effect you too much on a big bike but on a little bike, your weight makes a huge difference in the way you drive off of corners and how well you can tuck behind the bubble.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Supertwins was the last race of the day, and that's where I finished. Sorry to leave you hanging by a.... chain!

Kim
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Rice
Not if you ride a GSXR1000. I think I was around 210 last year and I did some 15's at blackhawk on a 1000 the very first time I rode it. Weight shouldn't effect you too much on a big bike but on a little bike, your weight makes a huge difference in the way you drive off of corners and how well you can tuck behind the bubble.
If I understand this correctly the theory is that eight pounds is worth about 1 HP? Is that about correct? Typically I have my 600 Kan-O-Tuna on the track. I'm still dumb enough to have, and be in the process of paying for, a streetbike which is my GSX-R. I'm just now starting to consider building a good track bike from a wreck, or ten.

Bill T., Jr.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Taborn
If I understand this correctly the theory is that eight pounds is worth about 1 HP? Is that about correct? Typically I have my 600 Kan-O-Tuna on the track. I'm still dumb enough to have, and be in the process of paying for, a streetbike which is my GSX-R. I'm just now starting to consider building a good track bike from a wreck, or ten.

Bill T., Jr.
Yeah I heard that as well but most importanly for me... my damn gut gets in the way of getting into a full tuck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode