HELP - Front brake master cylinder screw broke! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
I'm a blessed man
 
ronhix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 3,707
Location: Aurora, IL
Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net
           
HELP - Front brake master cylinder screw broke!

Hey Guys,

I got three days at Autobahn this weekend, I gotta get this thing!

I was taking the lid off my front brake master cylinder to top off my brake fluid and one of the screws broke right in half leaving about half the screw's shaft stuck down in the master cylinder housing. The threads in the housing are all screwed up so it looks the previous owner may have cross threaded the screw.

Here's the deal, I got 4&6 checking on a new master cylinder assembly for me but the OEM part ain't cheap and availability is also gonna be an issue. As a last resort I might can get a whole new assembly, but I gotta pull the trigger on it today to get it here by this weekend.

Can I fix this myself? I am thinking I could just drill and tap the housing and then replace the original screw with one a little bigger. Any suggestions?

Even better, anybody got an extra front brake master cylinder for a 1999 - 2005 CBR600F4?

Link to online fiche, I need just the master cylinder housing (#6 is the whole assembly in the fiche)

I got three days at Autobahn this weekend, I gotta get this thing fixed before then!

HELP!

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
ronhix is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 10:44 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 153
 
Ron,
I would loan you the one off my Super Hawk if it fits, but I doubt it will.
I have steal braided lines coming in Friday and I will have my system apart. (And I am out of town that weekend and can't ride anyway.)

Those are pretty narrow screws to try to drill, tap, threadlock, and remove. but If you can get the tools, try that!

Ken
V2_Ken is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Slum Overlord
 
bmoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Uki Village
Posts: 1,943
Location: Uki Village
Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job
           
Ron,
You might be able to get away with drilling out the old one and then tapping with one size up, but it's going to be pretty tight tolerances so try and have a steady hand. Do you have access to a drill press?

the uncarved stone
bmoney is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
I'm a blessed man
 
ronhix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 3,707
Location: Aurora, IL
Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney
Ron,
You might be able to get away with drilling out the old one and then tapping with one size up, but it's going to be pretty tight tolerances so try and have a steady hand. Do you have access to a drill press?
No, I don't have a drill press.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
ronhix is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Slum Overlord
 
bmoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Uki Village
Posts: 1,943
Location: Uki Village
Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhix
No, I don't have a drill press.
I'm down in the city and have a cheapo set-up at home, but it's better than doing it by hand. If you can't find anything closer to you, you're welcome to come by and use mine. You might try local welding/metal fab shops in your area.

the uncarved stone
bmoney is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
I'm a blessed man
 
ronhix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 3,707
Location: Aurora, IL
Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2_Ken
Ron,
I would loan you the one off my Super Hawk if it fits, but I doubt it will.
I have steal braided lines coming in Friday and I will have my system apart. (And I am out of town that weekend and can't ride anyway.)

Those are pretty narrow screws to try to drill, tap, threadlock, and remove. but If you can get the tools, try that!

Ken
Thanks for the very generous offer Bro, but your SuperHawk setup is a lot different than my F4i.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
ronhix is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
I'm a blessed man
 
ronhix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 3,707
Location: Aurora, IL
Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney
I'm down in the city and have a cheapo set-up at home, but it's better than doing it by hand. If you can't find anything closer to you, you're welcome to come by and use mine. You might try local welding/metal fab shops in your area.
Cool, thanks for the offer Bmoney!

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
ronhix is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Moderator
 
maks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,613
Location: Chicago
Sportbike: 2002 CBR F4i
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Original Gangsta
           
Send a message via AIM to maks
I'm not riding my shit for a while, so if you wanna drive up to Round Lake and do all the work, you can probably steal mine. Let me know so we can make arrangements. P.S. I'm outta town starting Wednesday night, so it needs to be soon.
maks is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
I'm a blessed man
 
ronhix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 3,707
Location: Aurora, IL
Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by maks
I'm not riding my shit for a while, so if you wanna drive up to Round Lake and do all the work, you can probably steal mine. Let me know so we can make arrangements. P.S. I'm outta town starting Wednesday night, so it needs to be soon.
You got mail, Maks.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
ronhix is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 12:21 PM
BEER!
 
Grover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Posts: 5,970
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN
           
Send a message via AIM to Grover
For mapping Ron, plan on going to highway 120 and highway 134. I live about a mile from there.

Either of you shoot me some IMs. I should be around most of the week but need some warning to make sure I'm at home.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
Grover is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
I'm a blessed man
 
ronhix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 3,707
Location: Aurora, IL
Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net
           
Thanks for being so willing to help guys! The best part of CLSB is YOU GUYS (and others like you)!

Matt Drucker (mdracingstp.com) was able to find me a Nissin master cylinder assembly for significantly less than an OEM replacement would have cost me, and he was able to get it shipped to me ASAP so I can make Autobahn this weekend. SWEET!

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
ronhix is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle
 
Sticky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: planet earth
Posts: 6,707
Location: planet earth
Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network
           
Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhix
Thanks for being so willing to help guys! The best part of CLSB is YOU GUYS (and others like you)!

Matt Drucker (mdracingstp.com) was able to find me a Nissin master cylinder assembly for significantly less than an OEM replacement would have cost me, and he was able to get it shipped to me ASAP so I can make Autobahn this weekend. SWEET!
woo hoo!

<--------Sticky Nicky
Sticky is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome