A Word to the Wise: Bleed/Change Old Brake Fluid! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Must... brake... later...

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha R6 in Race Trim
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: member

A Word to the Wise: Bleed/Change Old Brake Fluid!

Just wanted to share an incident that occurred at the track this past Saturday.

As I was going through tech inspection, the Nesba instructor looked at my brake fluid and advised me to change it soon since it looked pretty dirty. I had changed the brake fluid about 1 year ago to some racing fluid, and was actually planning on changing it sometime this week. I figured it would be alright for one more day at the track though. Boy was I wrong!

The first session out I was getting comfortable, and started to pick up the pace about mid-session. At the end of the back straight, I passed Paul from Polar-Optics on his inside intending to brake a little deeper to pass him. After I completed the pass I pulled in my front brake lever... and NOTHING HAPPENED! No brakes! So I did what I was taught to do, which was pump the lever until fluid came in. Well fortunately the fluid did come back in and in my efforts to pump, I locked up the front tire. After about a few feet of having my front tire begin sliding out from under me, I realized what was happening and let go of the lever to go coasting off of the track. Saved that one, but just barely.

I got back in the pits and went to apologize and explain what had happened to Paul. We then proceeded to diagnose the problem. He first asked if I had a tankslapper which might have pushed the pads back, but I didn't. Then he asked how old my brake fluid was. When he heard it was a year old, he immediately went for a cup with a small hose attached that looked like it was for a urine sample. "Bleed your brakes! I'll bet you'll find an air bubble." Sure enough I did, even though Vcook and I were really careful when we put the new fluid in a year ago about getting all the air bubbles out. Evidently brake fluid is water soluble and begins picking up moisture through time, which can lead to expansion and air bubbles at very inopportune moments. I never had this problem before, but luckily it didn't lead to anything more serious than a loaded pair of underwear.

So the moral of the story: Change your brake fluid every year and be sure to bleed out all the air bubbles. Nothing worse than pulling in that lever and having nothing happen.

I have an appt. with Vcook this week as soon as he is available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 07:07 AM
Got my new Ride......

Sportbike: YZ250, GSX-R750 K1, ZX-7R (RIP)
Years Riding: Since I was about 10 yrs old
How you found us: JimGoFast

Good Info !!

And even if you think you got all the air bubbles out when changing the fluid, its always a good idea to bleed them again from time to time to make sure all is good. As the fluid picks up moisture & contaminants, it will BOIL easier. If you manage to boil it slightly - you will obviosly have more air/vapor in there. This can cause vapor-lock ==> which means fluid is in such bad shape that it boils enough to fill the chamber with a significant amount of compressable vapors -then it will feel like you almost no brakes !!!

- Sam
NESBA #749

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode