What Goes Up? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

What Goes Up?

Not my bike. It fell down, off the trailer at exit 269 between I-55 and I-355.

Thumbs Up!

Everybody I met and had the chance to see again. Chris, Dave, Karen, Ethan, Grasshopper(sorry about the Bud Lite), Jeff, Steve(?), Butch(mobile machine shop and host wití da most!), Son(sorry, Bro, Iím just that short on brain cells today), and Ladies, Ron, Maria, & the Hix crew, Ken, the guys who helped me unload the bike and load it again at BHF after leaving my ramp on the highway Ė not to be disgusting but one guy was almost emasculated by my unsecured to the ball trailer when it popped off the ball while unloading the bike, Mr. & Mrs. Larsen Ė King and Queen of the breakfast burritos, Carol(? Ė NESBA registrar), Mr. Lange(? Ė NESBA guy), BHF Security guys, the guy on the ZX-9 who couldnít lose me at ACC, and Mark Bernard Ė who I finally passed and ran off track chasing Ė however, I still had faster lap times! Sorry, Folks. If I hadnít been so disoriented I would have left you with the beer I brought. Unfortunately given the events that transpired I was too preoccupied with leaving before the track went green. I was too afraid something REALLY bad would happen before I could get home!

Thumbs up to ACC for the north course. Nice flow, bad curbs, too few bathrooms and showers, however. I only made the last three sessions of the day and I still made it within two seconds of the fast two riders in my group.

Thumbs up to BHF. Very nice track, at least the where I crossed into the infield and could look out at the course! Older facilities or not, they more hospitable than ACC. Beautifully wooded surroundings too, just like home.

Thumbs up to the CCS folks. No matter how much they want to laugh at me and my antiquated bike they always treat me like Iím a competitor.

Thumbs Down!

Thumbs down to Chicago toll roads! Either I was doing something really wrong, going from ACC to BHF and back home, or the tolls are so draconian that I couldnít afford to live in Chicagoland! I spent about forty bucks in tolls. I spent less leaving Ohio and traveling through Indiana than I did going from ACC to BHF.

Thumbs down for me not knowing how to secure a trailer! The trailer fell off the ball less than ten minutes into my trip. I obviously didnít know enough about my new trailer. Thanks for explaining how to fix that problem, Butch! Going home was all good.

Thumbs down for me not being prepared to leave early enough to make it to ACC for the full day.

Thumbs down to me for running so little air pressure in my front tire that the bead came unseated and I could have had the tire come off the rim while on the track! This was one of a few problems that prevented me from running at BHF. Did I mention that I lost some of my keys, my cell phone wouldnít work, and I couldnít get the pay phone at BHF to even call the operator?

I donít think Iíll make it back this season. My wife has had all the stress she can take. Be that as it may I had a great time and Iíll miss you all!

Christís peace and lithium grease!

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 11:09 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

that sucks, but hey on the wife part,,,carol came to the morning meeting and was asking who knew you cause your wife called so i gave her the low down to pass along, that you were fine but the bike was broke so your heading home.

good choice btw

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50

Thanks, Bro!

Bonnie did get the message. She was worried that I might have the trailer come off again or that the bike might come off again. Not to mention that I might get wacked by a car if I had to load the bike again!

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 07:24 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
The trailer wasn't secured? How did you fix that? It was kinda loose but you drove all the way out here with it like that. We got your message by the way. Thanks for calling.

I hear you about the tolls. I paid $10 in tolls to Autobahn and back. They consider my car with a trailer more expensive than a semi!

Good to see you out at the track day on Friday. Bummer you got in so late you missed the morning.

-Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

There's a vice grip type adjustment at the bottom of the hitch. You press up on the plate above the nut. The nut adjusts the tension of the lock, so when you close the lock around the ball it's as tight as it needs to be to prevent dislodging.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Speaking of the ACC track sessions: it wasn't a zip tie you saw rolling across the track, it was my toe slider. The toe slider from my right boot is gone and there's a hole where it used to be.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 07:47 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Dude, that's some scary shit. Glad you made it through!

*You should have been running 30 psi minimum in that heat.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky
Dude, that's some scary shit. Glad you made it through!

*You should have been running 30 psi minimum in that heat.
That's odd. Becuase of the heat I was expecting 28 psi to be a better number due to expansion.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 08:47 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Tire vendors(Moose) always told me to run higher pressure in heat since you don't want it to heat up as much. I remember days like last weekend being recommended to run 34-36 psi, this is perhaps a good topic, albeit a bit on the late side.

*paging 4&6

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 08:54 AM
Thunder man

Sportbike: 98 ZX-9R, 08 R6, 11 R6
Years Riding: A long time
How you found us: been here from the begining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Taborn
That's odd. Becuase of the heat I was expecting 28 psi to be a better number due to expansion.
It is the opposite more pressure on warmer days than a cold day. The tire heats up more with lower pressure thus the air expands more plus the tire over heats so you lose traction.

Brent
Nesba Dir/CR #319
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 08:56 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

didn't get to finally meet ya Bill, got to BHF around noon on saturday... hopefully there will be a next time

as for tolls, i finally broke down and got an Ipass... when pulling a trailer, i just fly thru ipass lanes... the few times i went thru manual though, i never got charged extra for the trailer the tools do suck however...
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

BWA,

Sorry, Bro! I was trying to get out before the track went green and something worse happened Worse yet, I took the beer home instead of leaving it for you guys!

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 09:47 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Geez, Bill!

I was standing with the Race Director when your message to Dave came in (was Assistant Starter for the weekend). Wish someone would'a let me know you were there! In any event, glad you made it home safely.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 10:01 AM
G2G

Maybe I am going goofy but did I meet you Bill at ACC???? Are you black????? I did not recognize you? I was pitted with Grover and Dave (LBK).
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 10:02 AM

Sportbike: none...all gone
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: ken

Talking

Great to meet you my friend. Sure glad your mishaps ended safely.
We'll have to get together when if son (Chris) gets a chance to ride Mid Ohio.
I tried the 1st session Sat but not healed enough yet.
Glad I decided not to continue in that heat.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Kim. It was a typical track weekend of late. But, ACC was a good time anyway.

Steve, I was there, ACC, Friday. Black? Yes, by census standards. You don't want to get into all that now, however.

Butch, you and Chris get to ride Mid OH let me know. I haven't been on that track since 99. I've heard the cement patches are tougher to deal with now but it's a very rhythmic track. Work for your rhythm and you'll get comfy quick.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 11:27 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Steve, Bill was there on Friday only. He took off right after Dave, Karen, and Ethan showed up. Think we managed to suck down a beer before he took off.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 12:40 PM
G2G

Oh ok I thought I missed something. I thought that the pic in his avatar was him. I guess I was right. Hopefully I will me you next race.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2Go
Oh ok I thought I missed something. I thought that the pic in his avatar was him. I guess I was right. Hopefully I will me you next race.
Yep, that's me but it's a full beard now. Ody asked me what happened to the goat face when I met him then I realized the avatar had the goatee.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode