CCS Question, especially for you SV guys - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
I break everything!

Sportbike: SV650S, ZX6R, GSXR600
Years Riding: Since 04/2003
How you found us: Google

CCS Question, especially for you SV guys

I'm interested in racing with CCS sometime probably next year, maybe this year but highly doubtful. Couple of questions:

I gotta 2003 SV650S that I wanna race with. Bone stock right now. So far as modifications go, can I do the following and still be Lightweight Supersport legal:
-Revalve forks, new springs, Racetech cartridge emulators
-Penske shock
-Pipe and power commander
-Plus the normal, clipons, rearsets, brake lines, and such...

But I can't say stick some GSXR 750 forks and still ride Supersport right?

Also, are there any other classes I could ride in without getting killed, or would I be best off sticking to riding in the class that fits my bike the best?

Last question for the moment, am I fast enough? For reference, my best times are 1:43 or 1:44 (lap timer wasn't workin, this is from someone chasing me) at Autobahn South, and a recent 1:23.75 at Blackhawk, with consistant 1:24 flat. Constantly improving though. This is on a GSXR 600, SRAD type (96-00) with stock revalved suspension that wasn't set up to my weight with even basic settings. I dun wanna be the backmarker that everyone has to ride around and get stuffed in every corner.

SV Racers, post up! Thanks!

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
I break everything!

Oh, and before I forget, what motor oil and tires do you guys run? Does the little pad that Joe Rocket gave me count as a back protector? Can I power up a wheelie down the straight every time to practice for the checkered flag lap when I finish 2 seconds in front of the race leaders even though I'm a lap down? And it says DOT helmets are OK, so my beanie helmet should pass tech just fine rite? Wouldn't want the photographers to miss my race face...

Edit: Disregard this entire f'in post, I'm an idiot and yes, I have a real back protector

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276

Last edited by JonGu; 06-28-2005 at 07:46 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 11:04 PM
Old School

Sportbike: 85 V65 Sabre
Years Riding: 27 years of street and dirt before that
How you found us: from roach

Send a message via AIM to WITMAN
I would recomend hyper pro

my 01 svs has a full hyperpro set up front and rear and it does track days like no tommorrow courtesy of 4&6 which I would highly recomend them over the penske as my buddy has a race svs with this and does not like the feel but does like my bike. my 2 cent

<............... Whitney

TWO WHEELS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO EXPERIENCE HEAVEN ON EARTH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 11:18 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Most racers use Penske, perhaps Ohlins rear suspension. I've got a Penske 20-something clicker and racetech .85 front springs.

For Supersport you can change all fork internals but have to keep the same outer dims. Meaning, as you pointed out, no changes to inverted forks. The other BIG thing you can't change is the air filter and air box. Don't buy into the K&N air filter they CLAIM is exactly like OE and SS legal. You throw one of those into your bike and manage a podium, you'll get disqualified everytime.

Your lap times won't WIN races, but it will currently give you a shot at top 5 in supersport (assuming you can keep the same time with an SV). Tire-wise, I use Michelin Power Pilots, Dave uses Dunlop, Steve (good2go) uses Pirelli. So, tire choice is really whatever works for you.

Most of the lightweight FAST guys don't stuff you into corners, they are WAY too fast to do that. Most of the time they just opt for a tighter line and are gone before you can even think about it. Either that or just get you on the brakes, which is generally the preferred way of getting around.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 11:20 PM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

Quote:
Originally Posted by vimkgt
I'm interested in racing with CCS sometime probably next year, maybe this year but highly doubtful. Couple of questions:

I gotta 2003 SV650S that I wanna race with. Bone stock right now. So far as modifications go, can I do the following and still be Lightweight Supersport legal:
-Revalve forks, new springs, Racetech cartridge emulators
-Penske shock
-Pipe and power commander
-Plus the normal, clipons, rearsets, brake lines, and such...

But I can't say stick some GSXR 750 forks and still ride Supersport right?

Also, are there any other classes I could ride in without getting killed, or would I be best off sticking to riding in the class that fits my bike the best?

Last question for the moment, am I fast enough? For reference, my best times are 1:43 or 1:44 (lap timer wasn't workin, this is from someone chasing me) at Autobahn South, and a recent 1:23.75 at Blackhawk, with consistant 1:24 flat. Constantly improving though. This is on a GSXR 600, SRAD type (96-00) with stock revalved suspension that wasn't set up to my weight with even basic settings. I dun wanna be the backmarker that everyone has to ride around and get stuffed in every corner.

SV Racers, post up! Thanks!
Everything you want to do is fine for supersport. Put GSXR forks on and now you've got what is classified as a superbike. The best classes for your bike is lightweight supersport, lightweight superbike,GT Lights, lightweight GP, thunderbike, and super twins. As far as being fast enough. There is no such thing. You race if you want to race. Will you win with those times? No. The current fast lightweight am is doing consistent 18's at BHF. Last and most important thing..... you WILL get stuffed if you race. Guaranteed!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
I break everything!

Sounds good enough, I don't have to win races or get podiums, but I dun wanna be the guy running dead last with the spectators wonder whether I'm actually racing or just out there taking a Saturday stroll. I know I'll get stuffed sometimes (prolly all the time) in racing, so I'm gonna make it my goal first to get into NESBA Advanced group and get some experience with being passed on the inside, outside, going 3 wide into a turn, etc. before starting racing. Thanks for the feedback, anything else you could share is appreciated.

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:12 AM
BEER!

If you plan on racing the SV, start track riding it now. The power comes on in a different way obviously so you'll have to adjust your riding a bit. If you haven't done the mods yet, get them done. Main ones are front suspension and front brakes. The brakes are substandard for the times you can pull, and stock suspension will leave you puking in your helmet during elevation changes.

NESBA/CCS #142
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
I break everything!

Sounds good, I want to take it to the track bad, but not before I at least do the front suspension and brake lines/pads, right now it feels like crap even during regular street riding from all the diving on the brakes. Plus I weight like 250 with gear, I wouldn't dare take it to the track in its current form.

August's NESBA at Autobahn will be (hopefully) my first outing on the SV if I get the forks in shape by then. Maybe I'll even have the rear shock by then too if I can figure out how to install the damn thing myself and come up with the money for it. Kinda sad, my old gixxer isn't even worth as much as the suspension on my SV will be hehehe...

The North course there looks like it would be a great place to break in the SV

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:34 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Racing and track days are different animals. If you want to race, go racing. A track day is a non-competitive environment - totally different experience, even if you're riding with the "A" group.

Get yourself a REAL back protector. Don't skimp on personal protection.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
I break everything!

lol, OK, that's the 2nd comment I've gotten on that, disregard the entire 2nd post, that was just a stupid attempt at a joke I'm using a Bohn Pro-Racer right now so I think that should be good enough, have an Alpinestars Tech one too but it didn't fit in my leathers, hence the Bohn.

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:39 AM
G2G

I have been racing Sv's for the last 5 years. These are the mods I would do in order to start RACING not trackdays (if it was trackdays bodywork would be last)

Full set of bodywork........this is needed in order to race
Front forks revalved........send them out to Thermosman
race rubber...................The new michellin piliot races are suppose to be the shit. They just came out with the SV 160 for the rear so I will be running them soon
Steel braided front brakelines
Front brake pads............Vesrah
Rear shock....................Penske, ohlins,stay away from Fox
Gearing........................Afam ect....
Exhaust full system.........M4

The classes to race are exactly what Rev mentioned earlier LWSS,LWSB,LWGP,Thunderbike,GTlights,Supertwins. That gives you 2 races on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. Don't worry about what other peoples laptimes are and where you would finish. Get out there and get in the mix. Get laps under you belt. The only way to get faster is to practice and trackdays and races is the way to do that. If you need any more info or help PM me.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:46 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Here's something to keep in mind, for the amount of money that you're going to put into your street bike you could buy a fully prepped race bike. Look for one SS legal with a salvage title and you're set.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
I break everything!

This is true, but I'm a fledgling (shitty) mechanic and one of the big reasons I'm doing an SV is so I can learn to build up a basic race prep bike from stock to get the wrenching experience too. It took me like 5 hours to replace a master brake cylinder, remove the hand controls from my bike, hack down and bend back a clipon, and put it all back together, plus take off the wheels and put em back on with fresh rubber. I think anyone else coulda done it in 2

I heard the SV is a pretty easy bike to work on too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky
Here's something to keep in mind, for the amount of money that you're going to put into your street bike you could buy a fully prepped race bike. Look for one SS legal with a salvage title and you're set.

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 08:45 AM

Oh, you have a track bike already. Well, if money isn't too much of an issue then have at it! It will definitely be a fun project and a well blazed trail.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:03 AM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

I was going to start a thread just like this!

I plan to start racing next season with ccs.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 12:25 PM
BEER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D
I was going to start a thread just like this!

I plan to start racing next season with ccs.
Cool! I should have taken pictures of the pit area we had going at Autobahn. 5 guys racing SVs, all in one pit area. Paul James and another fast expert guy was right there too. During the lightweight races the area was a ghost town

NESBA/CCS #142
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
Cool! I should have taken pictures of the pit area we had going at Autobahn. 5 guys racing SVs, all in one pit area. Paul James and another fast expert guy was right there too. During the lightweight races the area was a ghost town

Sweet!
That's how it was with the 400 guys when I ran GLRRA. Lightweights rule!

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
I break everything!

Oh yeah, I was wondering too, do you guys run 120/60 or 120/70 tires? I'm guessing a 120/60 might make it more nimble and that an SV doesn't really need the width of a 120/70 but I dunno...

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode