Putnam pointers? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Slow Poke

Sportbike: BMW Dakar
Years Riding: since '00
How you found us: member

Putnam pointers?

Any pointers concerning putnam for all you guys who have been there before. I hear itís kinda hilly, almost like grattan. Any secrets to going fast? Itís going to be exciting watching lupi lap the field, and the Kruz v Jim battles.

Can you tell Iím getting excited.

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are the legislators."

www.allenskillicorn.com

Follow my views on Life (snarkiness), Liberty (politics), and Pursuit of Happiness (motorsports) on twitter. http://twitter.com/allenskillicorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 09:35 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

i havent been there before...but heres a tip...lower tire psi a couple pounds more then average...to keep higher tire temps in this cold

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 10:01 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Never been there..can't wait.

I think one of the Putnam threads has a detailed description, turn by turn. I'm actually too busy today to dig that stuff up

Oh yeah,

I'm itching to ride!

Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 10:03 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

some tips:
warm tires good before going all out
stay on pavement
stay out of my way
dont stuff kruz (he dont like that)
ahh hell with it stuff kruz (its fun)
when the track turns you should be turning also
when the track is straight you should be full throttle
careful in turn 10 wall close to track
hope this helps

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 10:42 AM

Lets see...

From what I remember from last year here are some pointers.

1.) Turn1 is SUPER fast, not even really a turn...more of just a change in trajectory to hurl you into turn 2.

2.) the pavement is super grippy....you can carry crazy cornerspeed. and the side bonus is you get to see your tires get digested thoughout the day.

3.) Be wary of those slow moving objects on the track in the I group....namely JimGoSlow/Kruz/Jeff/Champ....ect
After you blow by those turtles you can spend your time chasing a rabbit like Kneeinpain.

4.) Go really fast....and when you need to turn, turn.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 11:10 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Paraphrasing an anonymous source from another board

If you brake between T10 and the bus stop, you're a wuss (or something like that)...

Can we go now?????

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 11:17 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5

Send a message via AIM to Grover
I stole this from the previous putnam thread. Kim stole it from the putnam website. Page 8 (I'm pretty sure it's that one) has a write up by Jack as well.

Kim and I will be like kids in the van.. 'are we there yet, there yet' Jumping up and down, etc.

Tray Batey on Team Valvoline EMGO Suzuki GSXR, Putnam Park-1995
(photo courtesy Team Hammer, Inc.)

FAST LAP AT PUTNAM PARK ROAD COURSE
by Tray Batey

Accelerating toward turn one, the brake markers come into view and I ease the bike to the left of the track as I approach them. I brake at the chosen marker and aim the bike toward the right hand turn one after releasing the brakes. I put the bike approximately 12-18 inches from the inside edging of the turn at its tightest point and let it run wide toward the left at the exit in order to connect my cornering arc with the enterance to turn two. Before turn two tightens up, the bike should be outside toward the left against the dirt edging. At this point the bike is about 50% of full lean angle and I go to full lean at this point still approaching the right hand turn from the left. The bike clips the inside of turn two at the exit and carves a graceful arc toward the outside of the track approaching the right hand turn three kink.

The bike slips as I apply more throttle and bites in hard as the rear wheel hits the edge of the concrete lining the outside of the kink. I let the rear tire follow the grove of the concrete apron and pull the bike back down to point me toward turn four. Briefly I apply full throttle through the dip going ino turn four to keep the suspension stiff and prevent bottoming. I let the bike enter left hand turn four about mid-track as the extreme inside is slightly off-camber and traction is poor. I tighten my line around four until the bike is approximately 8 feet from the inside curbing toward 3/4 turn. Here I apply more throttle and slowly pick up the bike as it squirms toward the right hand edge of the track, accelerating hard now toward turn five, a right hand turn.

Turns five and six are extremely flat and it is very easy to become lost here and lose your positioning. Good reference points here are critical for a very fast lap. I let the bike ease back over to the left as I approach turn five and prepare to brake slightly and backshift. I turn the bike in toward the right and graze the concrete curbing on my right with my right knee. The bike is going very fast now and the turn has not opened up enough yet for me to see where I'm going. The point at which I dropped the bike will determine if I will stay on the track or not. No room for changes at this speed. As the outside of turn six comes into view, a concrete curbing becomes visible lining the outside of the track. The bike rushes at the concrete at an angle and touches the edge with both wheels. The bike slightly berms off the concrete and changes my arc enough to point me toward turn seven, the tight right hand bus-stop. I'm using full throttle again now and ease the bike to the left approaching the turn. Maximum braking and start to backshift, as the turn draws near, I pitch the bike down on my right knee while I'm still on the straight area preceding the turn and let the front tire start to scrub the remaining speed as the bike slowly starts to arc to the right. As the speed slows, and the front tire starts to bite in good, the bike tightens up its arc and I aim for the inside curbing from my outside approach. I graze the curb with my right knee and start to apply throttle. The bike squirms badly, finally finding traction and with the last hard twitch it lofts the front wheel.

The next upshift is made with front still airborne and the bike rushes down the hill toward Dead Bear turn. The front slowly returns to earth as I approach the left hand turn and I leave the throttle on as long as possible and move the bike to my right. The track runs downhill slightly in the braking area and I use the brakes firmly but not suddenly, giving the front a chance to grip in. I release the brakes and drop quickly onto my left knee, letting the front tire scrub off the remaining speed. I stay mid-turn through the entrance and tighten my line to the inside halfway through. The asphalt starts to climb uphill at this point and I keep the bike o my left in order to give myself plenty of room once I start to accelerate hard. As the bike starts to climb the hill I use more and more throttle, letting the force of the machine hitting the slight incline provide the rear tire with more traction. The bike squirms badly and heads for the outside of the track approaching the exit.

Full throttle now and I'm setting myself up for the long right hand carousel turn. I move left on the approach, brake hard against the slight incline, backshift, and drop the bike onto my right knee. I'm going too fast to make the turn but as I reach full lean, the front tire starts to scrub off the unnecessary speed. As the speed slows, the bike gradually starts to turn right against the incline. I let the bike have its way until mid-turn, there I bring it in tight to my right against the concrete as I crest the hill and start to descend. I let the bike run out about mid-track and gradually apply more throttle as I make my run toward the right hand kink. I lift the throttle slightly as I lean in, scrubbing speed gently with the front tire. I re-set the throttle just before reaching maximum lean and the bike runs out against the concrete curbing. The curbing causes the bike to slightly tighten its arc as I approach the right hand turn emptying onto the front straight. The bike is pointed toward the right hand curbing and I just graze it with my knee as the turn starts to open up toward the exit. I let the bike run wide now, still at full lean and gently apply more throttle. The bike squirms toward the barrier lining the outside of the pit area. The bike just grazes the edge of the pavement on the left and I pull upright hard, tucking in and upshifting down the hill toward turn one again.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 12:46 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Very funny guys...
It's nothing like Grattan....no elevation changes.

Turn one is not a turn...it's like a 4 lane wide sweeper. MaKe one big turn out of it.

Watch out for stuffers....guy with new elastic leathers.

Just be smooth and trust your bike...this is one course where you don't have to worry about potholes and bumps.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 12:51 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20

Just caus I a slow poke doesn't mean I'm a turtle. More like a snail.

Still need my wide load sign and the blinking hazard lights.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 01:35 PM
IDK WTF TO PUT HERE NOW!

Sportbike: The GF!
Years Riding: 3,201,394
How you found us: champ91

Send a message via AIM to Lupi Send a message via MSN to Lupi Send a message via Yahoo to Lupi
Quote:
Originally posted by GroverSV650S
Kim and I will be like kids in the van.. 'are we there yet, there yet' Jumping up and down, etc.

poor poor john
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 02:05 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Quote:
Originally posted by Lupi

poor poor john
now thats funny!!

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode