naked track bike? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

naked track bike?

I've been thinking of getting a track bike. I thought I'd get a 600 and put on race plastics. Then it occured to me to just leave the plastic off. Strip off the uppers, lowers, tail, lights, gauges (?), everything not absolutely necessary. Save all the stuff for resale or e-bay it to pay for track time. What purpose do they serve? I'm not looking for that extra .1 sec aerodynamics offer so why risk my wallet? whadda you guys think?

And yeah I know it would look like shit but so would thousands of dollars worth of plastics after I get done throwing them down the asphalt.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 08:01 PM

<----------Nekid track bike

The only downside to that idea is if you ever decide to race you'll at least need a belly pan.

IMO the aerodynamics don't really do dick until you get over 110-120+mph, and even then if you've got the hp its no biggie. My little hawk with 52rwhp and all the aero's of a barn door was clocked at 118mph on radar at the end of Grattans mainstrait, a good fairing would MAYBE give me 2-3mph on the topend (guessing from other hawk racers I've talked to on this subject).
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 09:02 PM
long distance

Sportbike: Many
Years Riding: since 81
How you found us: LiLbirdy

The idea is good , BUT if you go down I would rather trash some plastic then a motor or frame. If you are serious about getting a track bike , PM this guy MPS71 , 00 Zx-6r track ready!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

I'm serious about a track bike but I have a little court thing to take care of. Then we'll see how the cash flow is.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ddub
The idea is good , BUT if you go down I would rather trash some plastic then a motor or frame. If you are serious about getting a track bike , PM this guy MPS71 , 00 Zx-6r track ready!
Plastics protect your frame & engine????

racers use frame sliders and HD case covers to protect the pricey bits.

Tis the season to buy a racebike, lots of new models coming out in the spring. I expect you'll see lots of 600's and SV's for sale.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 10:48 PM
long distance

Sportbike: Many
Years Riding: since 81
How you found us: LiLbirdy

VTR, I have raced for a few years and YES the plastic WILL save the bike from more damage than if it was'nt there, yes I agree sliders work and so do HD cases. that stuff wasn't around when I was racing.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 12:01 AM
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

The other advantage to running full plastics (and the reason all racing bodies require at least a bellypan) is that if you do crash, there's less of a chance of you spilling fluids all over the track (and ruining everyone's session at a trackday.)

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 01:53 AM
CLSB RESIDENT REDNECK!!!!

Sportbike: Used to have a 2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i Red/Black
Years Riding: 9 Years on n off
How you found us: SBN

Buy a '01 F4i Red/Black and strip it. I'll buy all your plastics

Mark

Mark

2001 F4i Red/Black ( She Gone )
2003 GMC Sierra Z71 Pewter
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy View Post
lol It's even typed in redneck!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is based on a true story: Chuck Norris once swallowed a turtle whole, and when he crapped it out, the turtle was six feet tall and had learned karate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode