Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover

I'll start the thread off. I got in about 5PM on Saturday, just after the races finished up. Unpacked a bit and ate. Then hit the Benefit Auction. FIRST item I see I won, a "Team Honda" pit crew shirt signed by Alex Barros and Troy Bayliss. It's cool. Beer was everywhere naturally. The auction ended up bringing in $29,000. Gordie is working hard to get some big names in for next year. Autograph sessions, etc.

Sunday was racing. My f'n bike battery decided to completely crap out, first two times I started it I had to use Kevin's spare truck battery. Time for a new one! I can't remember my places or times, I didn't look at either of them. I also have to find where my temperature sensor in the radiator goes. I forgot to plug it into whatever harness it goes in. Noticed that when there was water boiling out of my overflow!

Had a good time after the first practice session. That session royally sucked because I haven't thrown a leg over a bike in 2 months.

This is the last race for me this season. I've got a bunch of other things going on for the race weekends. I've got lots of pictures to sort through later in the week.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 10:34 AM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

Here's my version....

Rolled into the track late Friday morning and got situated. The first practice session was spent breaking in a new top end on my bike and things were looking good as I broke into some 19's while breaking in my motor. For the second session, I leaned out my main jets 1 size and ended up turning 6 low 17's in a row so my goal for the next session was to dip into the 16's which I have only done once before. I did two more sessions and worked on a few corners to try to improve my entry speed as well as drive but was still stuck in the 17's for both sessions.

First practice session on Saturday looked like it was going to be the usual but I actually got a 2 clean laps in and then got stuck behind a pack of 15 or so of slower riders. Not sure if they were just following each other around or if they couldn't get around each other but it was pretty dangerous to come up on them so I just fell in line with them and pulled off the track. In checking the times, I saw that I turned the fastest lap of that practice session so it made me feel pretty confident about how things would go over the weekend.
The second session pretty much went the same way except this time a few guys had gotten up to speed and there were about 4 or 5 guys all running around the same times. Since I don't race on saturday, I got to watch some good racing. I also noticed that there were an overabundance of guys walking around with slings around their arms. Good times were had at the Wegman benefit and unfortunately we had to see some grown ass hairy men in lingerie.

Sunday is always my favorite day since all the sprint races are on Sunday. I was pretty excited about the LWGP race since that is the only race I run. My goal for the race was to break into 16's and finish in the top 5. Looking at the grid position, I found myself in the outside of row 3. This was not good since I can't launch that little 250 for the life of me and the guys I wanted to race were all on the front row. My race was race 9 of the day so that gave me to opportunity to sit in my pits and get all nervous and stupid before my race. I must literally have taken about 20 trips to the pisser in a two hour period. My race is finally called and I get out there and do the warm up lap and get into my grid position. The green flag drops and I get my usual shitty start and about 5 guys get by me on the start from the rows behind me but they all got on the brakes way early for turn 1 and I somehow came out of turn 1 in 9th position. Made a pass on an SV rider around the outside of turn 3 and another rider in turn 5. I made another pass on the drive coming out of turn 6 and drafted and outbraked another guy into the kink before turn 7. Coming onto the front straight I could see a really fast 125 rider so I got tucked in and went by him about half way down the front straight only to get outbraked by him going into turn 1. I got him on the drive out of turn 1 only to get outbraked by him again in turn 3. I followed him and made my pass stick going into turn 6 and set after a really crafty dude on an SV. I tried to put a pass on him in just about every corner and he blocked me everytime. He took defensive lines everywhere and he would just saw off your front wheel if you showed it to him. I followed him for 2 laps found the opportunity when he left a little room open in turn five and I went into the inside of him and outdrove him coming out to outbrake him into turn 6. Once I got by him, I was able to see 1st and 2nd down the front straight. That lit a fire under my ass and I went about as hard as I have ever gone and narrowed the gap between 2nd place and myself to 2 seconds before the checkered flag flew. It was one of the best races I ever had and it was one hell of an accomplishment just to keep Ed Key insight throughout a race. I never did end up getting any laps in the 16's. I skipped 16's altogether and went to the 15's with a best of 1:15.7
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 10:39 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

15's?! Holy shit!

Nice riding Brian!

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 10:46 AM
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

Rev! That's awesome man. 15's is huge, if you just got those starts down man you'd be giving Ed a run for his money.

Sorry I wasn't there guys, hopefully I'll catch up with everyone at the Autobahn and the next BHF round.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 10:57 AM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Practiced all day Friday, which helped alot! Ran consitant 21's and a few 20's all day.

Fresh Tires for Saturday morning

Saturday GTL I finished 2nd place thanks to a mechanical by Kane (loose ignition wire), I couldn't catch Hall. I ran consistant 19's all day and ran one high 18. Fastest time ever at BHF for me.

LWGP and LWSB I finished 3rd. Couldn't catch Hall or Kane, ran 19's and 18's consistantly all day Sunday.

Great weekend, Fun auction, good group of people, perfect weather.

See everyone at Autobahn.

Nick

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

Sounds like I missed one helluva weekend.

Congrats Rev on the awesome finish and lap times

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 12:39 PM
G2G

Hey Brian I told you weight watchers will work for you, your fat is is up to speed. Just kidden dude! Congrats on your finish and your laptimes!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2Go
Hey Brian I told you weight watchers will work for you, your fat is is up to speed. Just kidden dude! Congrats on your finish and your laptimes!

Steve Autobahn..... Autobahn Steve? Ya big sissy!

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 02:00 PM
G2G

My youngest daughter had a birthday on Sat. and the oldest had soccer on Sat. and Sunday so no racing for me. Autobahn is a maybe. Going to Cali to do some trackday Laborday weekend at Thunderhill then to Jennings in Oct.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 02:39 PM

Sportbike: All kinds.....
Years Riding: motorcycles are dangerous
How you found us: as

Blackhawk...always a good time!

Raised some good money for the Wegman

Had a rough Saturday...Won GTU but destroyed my bike in the process.
Running around crazy to get it back together, raced MWGP got a shitty start (which was the story of the weekend for me...lol) had to settle for 4th place even tho I turned the fastest laps of the race.

Sunday was okay, again struggling with bad starts I ended up playing catch up for most of the races. Took a bunch of 2nds, won MWSS.
Dipped into the 10s in ULGP, Did 1:10.912 and 1:10.931 and the rest low 1:11s racing Andy Feuersthaler on his 750. Not my fastest lap, I did a 1:10.8 in July racing Andy...lol but I'll settle for it. And Michelin didn't have any new front tires for me so I did the whole weekend on take offs...I know I can go faster with some fresh sticker tires....

But all in all it was a good weekend, got some points I needed.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano5150
Blackhawk...always a good time!

Raised some good money for the Wegman

Had a rough Saturday...Won GTU but destroyed my bike in the process.
Running around crazy to get it back together, raced MWGP got a shitty start (which was the story of the weekend for me...lol) had to settle for 4th place even tho I turned the fastest laps of the race.

Sunday was okay, again struggling with bad starts I ended up playing catch up for most of the races. Took a bunch of 2nds, won MWSS.
Dipped into the 10s in ULGP, Did 1:10.912 and 1:10.931 and the rest low 1:11s racing Andy Feuersthaler on his 750. Not my fastest lap, I did a 1:10.8 in July racing Andy...lol but I'll settle for it. And Michelin didn't have any new front tires for me so I did the whole weekend on take offs...I know I can go faster with some fresh sticker tires....

But all in all it was a good weekend, got some points I needed.
You're a fast MO FO! 1:10!!!! Thats Rockin the house Bro! Good job out there Dan, I was rootin for you trying to shake off the pre race jitters. Its amazing how the nervousness all goes away after you hit that warm up lap.

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
You're a fast MO FO! 1:10!!!! Thats Rockin the house Bro! Good job out there Dan, I was rootin for you trying to shake off the pre race jitters. Its amazing how the nervousness all goes away after you hit that warm up lap.
Ya you hit the track...and it all goes away, all you're thinking about it a way to win!!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 03:51 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Great job fellas....
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 06:30 PM

Sportbike: none...all gone
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: ken

Way to go boys!

Nick, thanks again for the use of the board.

Dano, sorry you had the f'd up crash but cheered for you all weekend.

I simply worked the pits for Marshall from NESBA. Two 2nd's, two 3rd's,and a 5th and he got his best lap times into the 13's all on Sunday. I forgot Saturday but I know it was no worse than 5th all weekend.

Good to see Matt Drucker from MDRacing do good as well. More personal best from what I heard him say.

Grover, good to see you out there.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchf
Way to go boys!

Dano, sorry you had the f'd up crash but cheered for you all weekend.

Well you know my handle bar (clip on) didn't hit the ground....so is that really a crash?
But ya it was messed up. I was ready to kill that kid
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 08:48 PM

Sportbike: '14 BMW S1000R, '06 Triumph Scrambler / '06 BMW R1200GSA
Years Riding: Long time...
How you found us: VTR 996 - in '02

15's, 13's TENS!?!? Christ, I don't even want to post what I did. Well, once I got past the riders holding me up, I was doing low 18's trying to catch the leaders in Formula 40 - who were doing mid-18's. Ended up finishing 4th. Very frustrating. Gotta sign up early and not start from the last row anymore.

On the bright side, it was fun seeing Dano destroy the field in GTU on Saturday. Congrats, Dan.

Tom / '06 Triumph Scrambler / '06 BMW R1200GSA / 1969 Honda Mini-Trail / '14 BMW S1000R
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 09:34 PM

Sportbike: none...all gone
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano5150
Well you know my handle bar (clip on) didn't hit the ground....so is that really a crash?
But ya it was messed up. I was ready to kill that kid
Ya, you said that. Next time I'll just say the "oops". Want a sticker?
I figured when you got to replace the upper, it qualified as a crash.
That swollen lip looked like fun too. Oh, thats right you looked right at me and didn't remember me. bfd, you had enough to do being pissed and all. The old guy named Butch.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 12:01 AM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebothkats
Rev! That's awesome man. 15's is huge, if you just got those starts down man you'd be giving Ed a run for his money.
Give Ed a run for his money. That's funny Ed can do 13's if need be and all I have in me is maybe some 14's and that's just way too much work on a 250 so unless he blows a motor, I've got nothing for him. Anyways, you missed a good time bro. We'll see you at autobahn in 2 weeks where I won't be the only one with shitty starts since there will be a 250 GP race.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:57 AM
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Rice
Give Ed a run for his money. That's funny Ed can do 13's if need be and all I have in me is maybe some 14's and that's just way too much work on a 250 so unless he blows a motor, I've got nothing for him. Anyways, you missed a good time bro. We'll see you at autobahn in 2 weeks where I won't be the only one with shitty starts since there will be a 250 GP race.
I was thinking of Supersport where Paul James runs 16's and 15's which puts him right on Ed's tail. But you're right he can run his other bike in LWGP. Still great job man, and 15's is flying especially on a 250.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
I put **some** pictures up on my website. Still probably have another page of them if I bother with making them. No poking fun at the simpleness of my webpage.

http://www.geocities.com/sv650_chris/august272005

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode