Question for Advanced guys @ Autobahn 9/26 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

Question for Advanced guys @ Autobahn 9/26

Just wondering how you guys did out there and what your thoughts are on the full track. Also what kinda times were you guys running out there?

Track Junkie #79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:26 AM
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan1300
Just wondering how you guys did out there and what your thoughts are on the full track. Also what kinda times were you guys running out there?
I loved it. There was only 8 or so guys there and we had like miles of track...FUN.

The transition between the North and the South track is real bumpy. The transition between the South and the North is very cool with getting air over "the hump".

I don't remember the times, I am thinking in the 2:30's area maybe...I'll have to check my laptimer to be sure.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975

Last edited by ronhix; 10-04-2005 at 08:29 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:48 AM

Sportbike: GSXR 750
Years Riding: 28 years
How you found us: Cruising the 'net

It was a great day. There were only 8 riders, full course, green track all day. 5 control riders and three of us paying folks. I had a blast. It was great hanging out with everyone and having some time to talk.

My best lap was a 2:50. Three seconds better than my full track Autobahn day. After lunch, I burned a whole tank in one session. I feel that I probably broke into the '40s but the beacon was removed at about 3:30 because Matt Drucker had to leave. Can't wait to pick it up again next year. I have a lot of room left for improvement. I can see ten seconds left on the table. Wishful thinking maybe, but belief is very powerful, and is half the battle.

Blarney gave me some good advice towards the end of the day that helped me relax on the bike, and help me to get it initiating turns turned quicker and with less effort. I want to work more on that next chance I get, as it really made things easier.

I had fun running with Ron for a while. I love green track time all day. I just love to ride fast, even for an hour at a time. My bike behaved great, except for one thing.

I was coming into turn one at the end of the front straight about 10 minutes into a session. I went to grab some front brake, and the lever came right back to the bar!! "Oh shit!", I say to myself. It took me a second before reality sunk in. I thought "This can't be happening! Nothing ever fails on this bike!". I kept pumping the lever in disbelief. I got NOTHING....

Since my engine was at 11k rpm, chopping the throttle gave me a lot of engine braking. I was able to slow enough to make the turn. I usually brake over a long period (much too long, evidently) going into turn one. I think this saved me this time.

So I continued for three miles with a hand up or a foot out to get to the pit entrance. During this time, I was not using the brakes at all. At one point, I forgot again that I had no brakes. I was most of the way around before I even remembered that I had a rear brake, which was pretty dumb on my part. I just never use it on the track.

It gouged my rim all the way around, and ground some metal off of my caliper. I was so lucky that I didn't even care. I had some spare caliper bolts and put it back together. No leaks, I had good pressure at the lever, and I was back out within 15 minutes.

When I got in, I found my front caliper dangling by the brake line. I had forgotten to tighten and torque the bolts after the last tire change. I am going to safety wire it from now on, so I have a double check to make sure they won't come out.

I probably did more laps than anyone that day, with 267 miles of riding. I stayed pretty fresh, and my times didn't get any worse all day. Working out and cardio really helped me. Overall, it was a fantastic day. It was completely worth the money. No one crashed all day, as far as I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:57 AM
I'm a blessed man

If you were running in the 2:50's Zippy, I was in that area as well...maybe a little quicker toward the end of the day.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Thunder man

Sportbike: 98 ZX-9R, 08 R6, 11 R6
Years Riding: A long time
How you found us: been here from the begining

My best was a 2:45. I think Marshall's best was a 2:43 at the same time.

Brent
Nesba Dir/CR #319
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 09:15 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

2:30s That is moving Ron.

Im so slow on the south course, epsecially the north to south transition it's pathetic. I put the laptimer on one session and clicked off a couple 48s.

Im a big fan of the north track, not the south or the full. Just doesn't seem to tie togehter very well. Two very different tracks.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
I was coming into turn one at the end of the front straight about 10 minutes into a session. I went to grab some front brake, and the lever came right back to the bar!! "Oh shit!", I say to myself. It took me a second before reality sunk in. I thought "This can't be happening! Nothing ever fails on this bike!". I kept pumping the lever in disbelief. I got NOTHING....
Eeek! That moment of terror when you realize your brakes aren't there, followed shortly by relief that you're not going to die after all, followed immediately by the realization that your normal braking marker is girly-man early

And you need to fire your mechanic. Who is you.

I remember it well...

Glad you made it through that experience, Zippy.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 10:32 AM

Sportbike: GSXR 750
Years Riding: 28 years
How you found us: Cruising the 'net

Yes, I have slapped my mechanic and told him if he ever, ever does that again, he's FIRED! Dumb ass!

I love the North Course, I am getting to really like the Full and South courses, no matter what anyone says about the bumps. They just make you think more, and adapt. The entrance to 5 is quite bumpy, but much better than before the section was repaved. When I grow some huevos, I'll be going in hard with no brakes at all. You have almost no opportunity to use brakes anyway, because using them lets the bumps destabilize the bike. And since the turn opens up there, you can go really fast right over the bumps and head straight for the apex. You can always finish the turn way past the apex where the pavement is good again. There is actually lot of room out there. That turn alone is going to be a real advantage for me once I get it down.

I love the South to North transition. I am learning to keep it pegged over the rise and well down into the landing zone. I'm sometimes downshifting one before entering the next turn after. Other times, I experiment with keeping it in the same gear there. If I get fast enough through there, the higher gear could work fine because the rev's will be up. Since you are almost heading right for the corner station, it is a little intimidating. But I know someday I'll be rushing in, straight to the knee down position without hesitation. Hopefully I'll get that down better next year.

Wish I was there now...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Got Safety Wire ?

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:11 PM

Monday was an awesome day. I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, and having time to get to know everyone a little better. I spent much of the day riding with Ron, which was great since we are close in speed and Ron was faster in several turns. That really helped me gauge my own skill on each particular turn. As for laptimes, Ron, Zippy, and I were pretty steady at 2:50. After following those two for a few laps in the second to last session, I had some kind of revelation and finished the rest of the session doing consistent 2:46 laps. During our last session (with no timer) I'm sure Ron and I were at that 2:46 pace.
The more I ride Autobahn, the more I like it (north and south, bumps and all). I agree with Zippy, the south/north transition is fun. You just have to think ahead a little bit, make sure you are headed in a straight line, and pin it! The only thing I worry about, since it is a blind crest, is someone overshooting or crashing in the north/south transition, and crossing paths with bikes cresting the hill at 140mph. There would be no time for a cornerworker to warn you. I guess there's a slim chance of that kind of incedent though.
I'm really surprised that more people didn't take advantage of this special day. It was a great chance for CRs to just ride and have fun without any other obligations, and for "A" riders to get plenty of track time. I'll bet NESBA lost a bundle of money on it. Hopefully we'll have the same type of day next year.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:26 PM
I'm a blessed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd
I'll bet NESBA lost a bundle of money on it.
+1, only 3 paying members and rental fees for both North and South track...I don't have a degree in math but those numbers just ain't good at all.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:28 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Barry holy crap! I didn't know you got the bump! You started the season in B group as well right?

CONGRATS!!

Lots of fast folk on the track these days!!

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:58 PM

Sportbike: none...all gone
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: ken

Way to go guys. You know a good pit manager is worth his weight in gold. Oh, darn it I don't weigh much.
Glad to read all of your descriptions of the track. Some day, soon, I will be able to judge for myself. Not dead yet boys.
Hey Zippy and Barry you got to go sledding with me.

CCS race official
sold the track bike
too slow to ride

"Repairs end December 31. 2011."

OK, it was a tough day.....back open again!!!
Bring me your broken down machines.

Butch @ 630-777-0273

Ytrap #819, forever in my prayers.
Arch, this Bud is for you..
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:59 PM

Sportbike: none...all gone
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Barry holy crap! I didn't know you got the bump! You started the season in B group as well right?

CONGRATS!!

Lots of fast folk on the track these days!!
Patrick, are we destined to be "B"guys forever? NOT.

CCS race official
sold the track bike
too slow to ride

"Repairs end December 31. 2011."

OK, it was a tough day.....back open again!!!
Bring me your broken down machines.

Butch @ 630-777-0273

Ytrap #819, forever in my prayers.
Arch, this Bud is for you..
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 11:51 PM

yep, started the season in Beginner, crashed on my first day, then I put my head down, did alot of reading, soaked up some CR knowledge, and gained plenty of confidence. I have loved every second of it . Maybe next year I'll try a few races. Thanks for the compliment Patrick.
Butch, I'd love to try a snowmobile. Growing up in the south, I've never been within 50 feet of one, and there's nothing like learning from a supreme guru .
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

Sounds like you all had fun out there. Very impressive times too!

Someday I hope to climb the ranks and join you fast guys! My best in "B" was a 3:02. Can't wait 'til next year!

Track Junkie #79

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode