Track Day Trailer Recommendations? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Track Day Trailer Recommendations?

I am looking for recommendations for a track day trailer that can haul up to 6 bikes. Mostlikely wold normally be carrying 3 or 4, but it would be nice to have the extra room for trips like RoadAtlanta or Barber.

Does anyone have or know of a trailer that fits that bill? I know that the NESBA trailer can hold up to 6... Anyhow, any thoughts on size and brand would be appreciated.

I am not in any hurry, but would like to get one by February or so.

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

Brian
NESBA Addict

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 05:36 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Brian McLaughlin has a 7x14 double-axle for sale that could accomodate 6 bikes (if you are good at loading).

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 05:36 PM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Sportbike: Rockets & Harleys
Years Riding: Me love you long time
How you found us: CLSB DECAL

NESBA SITE has a sponsor for trailers on there. I say check them out first.

Then search in here for post for Indiana vendors, worth the trip for savings.

Big place in Morris off 80 but they dont deal..... And one on 47 South of 80 on route to Starved rock ride left hand side...

***Ashwin RIP Brotha you will be missed***

www.dcdecals.net www.firespeed.com

Life's Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave Safely In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out, Shouting "HOLY SHIT... What A Ride!"

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never under estimate your opponent (mentality). Expect the unexpected (could work out in your favor). Two, take it outside(or to a table). Never start anything inside the Bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

Turning Shit into Sugar!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 05:37 PM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Sportbike: Rockets & Harleys
Years Riding: Me love you long time
How you found us: CLSB DECAL

Shit you dont like KRUZ trailer, you got everthing else.....hehehehehe

Dont think you could get 6 in there though?

***Ashwin RIP Brotha you will be missed***

www.dcdecals.net www.firespeed.com

Life's Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave Safely In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out, Shouting "HOLY SHIT... What A Ride!"

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never under estimate your opponent (mentality). Expect the unexpected (could work out in your favor). Two, take it outside(or to a table). Never start anything inside the Bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

Turning Shit into Sugar!!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

I have been looking at internet-trailer.com, the NESBA sponsor, and a wide variety of others for about two weeks. I have a 7.5x14 trailer that I use from a friend right now, and it can handle three bikes and all the crap... but that is a pain to load, etc...

As far as Kruz's, his is a little larger and taller, and the v-nose is great. I know he loaded 4 bikes in there once. But we will have 3-4 bikes every time, and more on longer trips if others come with us.

I was thinking something like 20-22' which is about what the NESBA trailer is. There is a HUGE dealer on 231 on the way to Putnam. They have 5 brands and over 600 trailers in stock http://www.detrotrailers.com

So, I'll probably get something from them when I have the selection made, OR I could go the way that Zeus did with at travel hauler. Back half is garage, front half is living quarter of a large trailer. I looked at 30WP Cherokee WolfPack this past weekend, way cool trailer... http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/flo...kee/floorplans looks like it can take 5 bikes pretty easily in the back half.

Or, I could just go with a purpose built trailer like the NESBA one... just looking at options so that I can budget for it for the beginning of next season.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 05:53 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjohn
Shit you dont like KRUZ trailer, you got everthing else.....hehehehehe

Dont think you could get 6 in there though?
Think Kruz's tops out at about 4 bikes. Wink, you opposed to buying used? If not, NOW is the time for shopping. Racers that are upgrading, etc are selling their trailers. Good idea to be looking now in case a deal shows up.

6 bike trailer would definately need a double axle. You need to weigh the cost difference/availability of one of those big trailers to how often you plan on using that extra capacity. Even a four bike trailer would haul all the stuff you need for almost any occasion. And you can pick one of those up a heck of a lot easier, especially used.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

No problem buying used. I have been watching WERA, CCS, NESBA and here for trailers. You are absolutely right about easy to find a 4 bike trailer used.. and so far, I have seen nothing bigger out there available.

So... I may just keep looking, or get a heck of a deal on a big trailer in the winter months when no one can sell any trailers (other than snowmobiling)...

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:04 PM

What are you going to be pulling the trailer with because that will make a huge difference. Putting 6 bikes in a 20' trailer means there could be a lot of extra weight on the toungue and if you truck may not handle that.

One thing to think about is that if you get a 8 or 8.5 foot wide trailer you can put the bikes in sideways which will leave more room up front.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

Excursion V-10, with additional tow package. Looking for 8 to 8.5' trailer for exactly that reason. Current one I am using is 7' wide...

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink
Excursion V-10, with additional tow package.

See that is why I asked.........with that set up stick with a 5x8 open trailer so the truck can handle it.

I kid, I kid

If you want to haul that many bikes I would say around 24'. You want enough room for the bikes AND all the other stuff. You will slowly start accumulating more and more stuff to take to the track. Always buy bigger than what you think when it come to trailers.

Last edited by Strick; 10-24-2005 at 07:18 PM.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

Gotcha, I jsut sent an email off to Chris Moon (NESBA) to see what kind of discount they have with Worthington (sponsor). Also what size trailer Garth is driving. I think it is around 22' but not sure.

The Travel Trailer that I was looking at is 30', and they said no problem pulling it with my Excursion.

Hell, a 5x8... I wouldn't even be able to see that little thing back there! LOL!

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:23 PM

[QUOTE=Wink]

The Travel Trailer that I was looking at is 30', and they said no problem pulling it with my Excursion.

QUOTE]

Yeah well they will tell you anything, seriously. An Excursion with the V10 is big enough but a travel trailer or any RV will be a lot more weight than just an enclosed trailer. A 30' RV is getting to the max for you vehicle.

I have a 24' toyhauler and it weighs around 8K pounds loaded with a bike, zuma, all the other track stuff, water tanks, propane, etc....
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:25 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
heck I got two bikes in an enclosed 5*8 trailer and took it to Barber. I too am looking for a trailer.

Wink, just make sure you get one with a ramp door.

Triton make nice alu trailers, but not sure if they make that big.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:51 PM

Sportbike: smokey one
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: stumbled onto you

[QUOTE=Strick]
Quote:

QUOTE]

Yeah well they will tell you anything, seriously. An Excursion with the V10 is big enough but a travel trailer or any RV will be a lot more weight than just an enclosed trailer. A 30' RV is getting to the max for you vehicle.

I have a 24' toyhauler and it weighs around 8K pounds loaded with a bike, zuma, all the other track stuff, water tanks, propane, etc....
It seems a whole bunch of us are thinking about trailers. Great minds think alike ???? My brother and I are investigating toy haulers and gathering ideas. I would like to be able to haul my "other car" around for it's track days too, so the garage and weight capacity is important.

Strick. Since you already have one, what things would you recomend or change on yours if you were to "do over". I could go to a gooseneck but sort of like the idea of leaving my truck bed open for other cr&*. We would be pulling with a F350 power stroke so the truck is not a issue.

WERA 917 EX
NESBA 917 A
CWIRA 917

Aprilia
RS250 dsb
Kaw 6r ss
ice
KX500 open C
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:54 PM
that punk kid

Sportbike: '05 ZX-6R (636)
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to AdrenalinJunkie Send a message via Skype™ to AdrenalinJunkie
Why dont we do like a group buy or something like that?

Adrenalin Junkie
- '05 Suzuki GSXR 1000
- ** retired ** '05 Kawasaki ZX-6R
- NESBA "A" #616
- Founder/President - Creatix, Inc.
- Founder - BartendChicago - BartendChicago.com

Wikipedia - Adrenaline Junkie - An adrenaline junkie is somebody who feels as if they are addicted to adrenaline. Adrenaline junkies may enjoy competing in extreme sports like skydiving, surfing, motorcycle racing, or anything else that gets their heart rate up. This sort of addiction is brought on by enjoying the (adrenaline) "rush" gained from these activities.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5AXIS

Strick. Since you already have one, what things would you recomend or change on yours if you were to "do over". I could go to a gooseneck but sort of like the idea of leaving my truck bed open for other cr&*. We would be pulling with a F350 power stroke so the truck is not a issue.

I wouldn't do much over as far as the trailer I have. A lot of friends in Atlanta have some type of toy hauler for racing, so I got a chance to "use" them. One has a 39' fifth wheel with a separate garage. The whole unit is real nice but really big and was serious overkill if you don't have kids.

The wife and I looked at a lot of them and settled on a KZ 24' toy hauler. It does not have a separate garage but the size really fits what we wanted. Since it is my only trailer it is not way over kill for just doing a one day track day. If you don't want all the "true" rv features a Camp master style would be really good.

It is all a matter of what you are going to use it for and what you really need.

Last edited by Strick; 10-24-2005 at 08:16 PM.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

For me, thinking of the travel trailer/toy hauler idea. Need to have plenty of space though. I have 4 kids, a brother and a wife that hope to be going to track days. 4 of us will be riding... without taking any friends here or there.

So, that is why I was thinking of the 30' Cherokee. It is 8' wide, and on one side it is 13' deep and on the other side it is 16' deep. If I stack the bikes sideways, it should easily take 6 plus all the extra track/race day crap... and still have the rest of the trailer to relax in.

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 08:37 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Here's the hot setup https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...ad.php?t=32869

But seriously if you're looking to haul 4+ bikes on a consistent basis, mine is not the best trailer. We took 4 down to Barber and they fit pretty well even with gear, but sportchocks are key because we had to angle them into the v-nose.

If I had to do it over again and had double the budget, Id go all aluminum. It's nice to have something 7 or 8 feet wide instead of 6, but then the sides are wider than your vehicle and really cutting into your aerodynamics.

Toy haulers/campers are nice, but "camping" gets old in my opinion. I like to camp, but not while Im on a trackday weekend. Its nice to be able to sleep in a decent bed and get a nice shower.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz
Toy haulers/campers are nice, but "camping" gets old in my opinion. I like to camp, but not while Im on a trackday weekend. Its nice to be able to sleep in a decent bed and get a nice shower.

First of all one of you have to change avatars.

"camping" at the track is not big deal, hell the wife and I did it for 2 years out of a 6x15 v-nose. It is nice to have a bathroom and all the "house" stuff at the track. Look at Autobahn, I don't have to wait for the bathroom.

Wink there are a couple of nice toy haulers out there that have a really big garage area that canbe used as sleeping quaters. I like KZ because they are pretty well built but not priced out of reach.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

Strick - Avatar changed. But at least my picture was on MY bike! J/K John... get a new bike already!

John,

I'm with you, I don't wanna camp either. But I do like the thought of the kids or wife being able to relax a little more. Maybe I could drag them there more often... I'd still do the hotel at night most likely.

I think that 8' wide is the trick, in that manner I can load them sideways if we had to pack more bikes. Short term, wide trailer, just for toys. Long term, wide trailer with seating area inside like the travel trailers...

Strick - Who is KZ and do you know of the website?

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 09:32 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
If you don't plan on "camping" at the track, don't bother with a toy hauler. Trust me, it's NOT camping. The beds are comfy, it's got AC/Heat, fridge. They can come extremely decked out. Now, a toy hauler for 6 or so bikes with room for 6 would have to be a big ass one.

If you plan on hotel staying, opt for a regular trailer and install the few creature comforts you want.

-Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 10:49 PM

Quote:
They have 5 brands and over 600 trailers in stock http://www.detrotrailers.com
I bought my trailer there last year, and they were great to deal with. They had the best price around, were courteous and quick, and even threw in a few extras at no charge. Highly recommended!
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 12:17 AM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

This is what you need.

Last edited by YZFRob; 12-28-2006 at 05:36 PM.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

Barry - thanks, hope to buy it there then. It is right on the way to Indiana University and I go right by it whenever I visit my daughter. Glad to hear it is a good group.

Rob - Saw one of those at Autobahn last time. Hmmm.. nope, that is way too big. Also, way WAY out of my price range, LOL. But thanks for the thought.

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 07:49 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Quote:
Barry - thanks, hope to buy it there then. It is right on the way to Indiana University and I go right by it whenever I visit my daughter. Glad to hear it is a good group.

Rob - Saw one of those at Autobahn last time. Hmmm.. nope, that is way too big. Also, way WAY out of my price range, LOL. But thanks for the thought.

Well it would be too small for what I would get one for.

I want a nice T2000 with a 53' double stacker that has a full living area in the front and a roof observation deck. Sucks that a Formula Continental wont fit in my 6X12.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 07:59 PM

Sportbike: smokey one
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: stumbled onto you

If only the money tree were in season... http://www.dealsonwheels.com/search/...-200510-000023

The toy hauler is a relatively new market segment. I think we will be seeing many seldom used trailers on the market in the next few years. I spotted a 03 UScargo 28' w 14' garage for $9K. That is very do able for a working fool like myself.

WERA 917 EX
NESBA 917 A
CWIRA 917

Aprilia
RS250 dsb
Kaw 6r ss
ice
KX500 open C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode