AMA responds to Buell statements in RRW - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
AMA responds to Buell statements in RRW

http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/index.html

Here we go!

For the link-impaired:AMA Pro Racing Responds To Erik Buell's Comments

Copyright 2002, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

This just in from AMA Pro Racing:

Your website recently published an interview with Mr. Erik Buell concerning AMA Pro Racing’s replacement of Buell Pro Thunder with the BMW BoxerCup at Daytona. It’s clear from the interview that Mr. Buell was under the impression that AMA Pro Racing replaced the Pro Thunder Championship with a BMW BoxerCup Championship - an incorrect assumption. For the benefit of your readers, a single round of the BMW BoxerCup Series, managed by BMW and sanctioned by UEM, will run in conjunction with the AMA Superbike race at Daytona. AMA Pro Racing has not added another class to its Superbike Championship.

Mr. Buell’s comments regarding Merrill Vanderslice, AMA Pro Racing and me are patently false. I assure you that Merrill and I are not liars or lunatics, and that AMA Pro Racing is not “out of control.” In fact, the growth experienced in the AMA Superbike Championship in recent years validates generally good management by our organization. Since 1999, estimates show that our live television audience has doubled, our average event purse has increased approximately 32% and our race tracks are safer. Significant investment has been made in personnel and equipment to improve operations and credential holders can comment on rules prior to their enactment. The result? The 2003 AMA Superbike grid is likely to be the most competitive in the world and the Championship is well-positioned for continued growth. That Mr. Buell chooses to describe these results as “out of control”, “bizarre” and “a tragedy” shows a self-interested perspective all too common in sports today.

Mr. Buell’s comments concerning Buell Motorcycle Company’s support for the series and the implication that AMA Pro Racing forced rules changes upon the class are a contradiction of his letters to AMA Pro Racing dated October 5th, 2000 and July 19th, 2001.

In his October 2000 letter, Mr. Buell describes the then current trends in Pro Thunder as “disturbing” citing:
1) “the number of brands on the grid is down” 2) “the number of brands on the podium is way down” and 3) “expense of the class is up.” Continuing, “Triumph is out, BMW is out, Moto Guzzi, Laverda, etc. Buell is the only one left trying to support the class”

In that letter, Mr. Buell requests two changes to the 2001 technical rules for Pro Thunder, those being:
“water-cooled multi-valve twins limited to 750cc, and a weight limit of 380 pounds for all bikes.” He then states: “Quite frankly, if the current rules for Pro Thunder continue for 2001, we will probably pull out”.

New technical rules for Pro Thunder based on comments from competitors, the road race advisory board and Mr. Buell were subsequently enacted. Those new technical regulations met Mr. Buell’s stated objectives.

In his July 19, 2001 letter, following-up discussions with AMA Pro Racing technical staff, Mr. Buell ranks combining Pro Thunder and 750 Supersport (now Superstock) as his “far preferred” alternative, stating that:
“we are willing to step up to this challenge and invest in the future of the class. This could include class sponsorship and/or team sponsorship to ensure competitive motorcycles are on the track for a good show.”

Subsequently, Pro Thunder equipment was made eligible for competition in the 750 Supersport (now Superstock) class. Therefore, Mr. Buell’s statement in his interview that he informed AMA Pro Racing “we won’t be able to run in that (Superstock) class, it’s a different level from where we are” is simply untrue. Is he suggesting now that he no longer plans to invest in the future of the class?

It gives me no great pleasure to discredit Mr. Buell in this manner, but his unwillingness to correct the record leaves our organization no other option. We are all passionate about racing. That very passion drives us to focus our lives on this sport. In this case, it appears Mr. Buell’s passion overpowered his judgment and his remarks were inaccurate and unfortunate. Mr. Buell owes AMA Pro Racing an apology.

Regards,

Scott Hollingsworth
CEO, AMA Pro Racing

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!

Last edited by KBOlsen; 11-18-2002 at 09:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:11 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

I still tend to believe Erik's side of teh story.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:18 PM
habitual line stepper

Sportbike: F4,Brutale,Warrior,DRZ
Years Riding: X
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Jack
Game ON!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 10:39 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: SBN

hmmm a little he said, he said goin on.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 08:20 AM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
The gloves have been dropped

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 09:25 AM

Sportbike: XB12R, H1, TTR125
Years Riding: I still have some money left...
How you found us: old member

Hey, and even though AMA Pro racing voted against the shift thingies, they are going forward with it.

For some reason they had, Merrill, Bob, and my friend Ron Barrick vote. Barrick voted against, Merrill and Bob voted for...

You can't argue with city hall?

Supersport bikes with electronic shift cut outs.

Name one street bike that has it stock? How's that for "production based"...

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
Super Dave's Race Against Childhood Cancer
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 07:18 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Quote:
Originally posted by Super Dave

None that I know of. Any bets someone will try to get CCS to allow them?

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 08:30 AM

CCS Supersport rules are way more open than AMA rules. You have to read the rule book specifically, but there is a lot of gray area.

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Super Dave
Hey, and even though AMA Pro racing voted against the shift thingies, they are going forward with it.

For some reason they had, Merrill, Bob, and my friend Ron Barrick vote. Barrick voted against, Merrill and Bob voted for...

You can't argue with city hall?

What everyone fails to understand is that the factories have been using a whole bunch of things over the years that are not really in the spirit of the class. Who cares it is racing , if you can build a better mousetrap i say do it.The whole idea of racing is competition. I say allow the stuff that they can't catch anyway it makes it much fairer in the grand sheme of things for everyone.How can it be fair to begin with when Honda supplies a bike direct from Japan that is already race ready , and they have been doing it for years. I say make them available to anyone that can prove that they can actually be competitive on them.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 09:54 AM

In many ways, I agree, Jim. In some, I don't.

You build a better mouse trap. You look at the rules and do what you can to make the bike competitive. Get some guys to ride it, and off you go.

I have an issue with the AMA's "Good Ol' Boy" attitude about looking the other way at things that are not right.

How about the HRC cams, pistions, and ignition boxes? Doctor Bob told me how some of the bikes looked funny at tear down. When I got an F2 at the end of 1992, we asked someone that worked on the Commonwealth bikes at the time what we should do to it. He said, "Use the HRC this and that, etc. etc."

I guess where does it end?

The series should be made up of a bunch of SUPPORTED teams, not a small number of factory teams.

So, Jim, can you and I make some more noise on RRW? You and I know what's going on in the class for real.

I think we agree that what is going on is not in the spirit of the rules. You compete in the AMA Supersport class, I help people get into it. Don't do it myself because it just seems like a big waste of money.

I would enjoy shaking up the bushes. We can do it on my name so that you don't get any flack....Because there might be, I would guess. It would be denied, but....

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 10:13 AM

I guess i could write a book about Supersport racing and it would be very interesting reading, what has been done in the past is just that history. We should be concentrating on what can be done to make it better. I think bottom line is go to WSS rules. Make it so if you can't run within 5 secs of pole time you can't race as sometimes you can have problems in qualifying.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 10:31 AM

Yes, making AMA SS into WSS might be the answer. At least we wouldn't be trying to give the impression that it is "production".

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode