Penske vs Ohlins - Opinions are like ... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

Penske vs Ohlins - Opinions are like ...

Penske vs Ohlins?

Which suspension do you like best and why?

I am looking at the .25 front end and also the rear shock for a 2005 GSXR 1000.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

LOL.. just get a Pogo stick Ron, you don't need a good suspension. Stock is perfect for you specifically.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
I'm a blessed man

Somewhere there is a village missing its idiot...

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 07:16 PM
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhix
Somewhere there is a village missing its idiot...

From what I have read, Ohlins internals for the forks, and the high end Penske shock is slightly better for the rear, by opinion only. Something about better low & high speed compression adjustment.

I have all Ohlins suspension on my bike and don't really know how to use/adjust it. I understand some of it, but there are so many adjustments it's confusing.

Mike

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 07:53 PM

Sportbike: smokey one
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: stumbled onto you

I too have ohlins on my rs250... I really suck so I can not comment on their performance based upon my riding. I get the sense that the prevailing line of thought is the Penske tripple adj is the ticket for everyone short of having ohlins support. Either should be capable of much more than most of us.

WERA 917 EX
NESBA 917 A
CWIRA 917

Aprilia
RS250 dsb
Kaw 6r ss
ice
KX500 open C
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 08:12 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Penske shocks are supposed to be the best out of the box shock. But, if you can get a deal on ebay, take it. Any good shock can be revalved and set up to your needs.

As for forks, you'd be better - spend less money, with compression and rebound work without spending big bucks on cartridges. But, if you can buy the cartridges here are your choices Ohlins, K-Tech, Traxxion Dynamics, and GP Suspension. All of these cartridges are available stateside.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 08:16 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
I'd discuss this with whoever you plan purchasing from. Suspension is tricky to say the least. For the front end, I'd just change the internals with stiffer springs, rear I'd go with whatever brand your suspension guru suggests.

-Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:54 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
I've had good luck with the Penske's, just picked up an Ohlins from ebay. Once gone over and properly sprung, we'll see how it stacks up.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 07:50 AM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
I have Ohlins on my 750 that I'm selling and love it. The new bike I'm leaning towards a Ohlins again but may try a penske.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Check out the stuff Dan Kyle, of Kyle USA, posted on the WERA board about cartridges.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php...0&pagenumber=1

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 04:16 PM
-= OuterSpace =-

Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle

http://www.elkasuspension.com/roadracing.html

04 Yamaha YZ450F - Off-Road it, mang
06 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i
09 Yamaha Raptor 700r

- Mike - OldSkool - MC -
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:11 PM

If you are doing an Ohlins 25mil kit in the front, why would you go with anything other than Ohlins in the rear? I am sure they work great together.
I would go with ohlins all around, but that is just my thought.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:32 PM
4&6

Not to be rude , but there isn't a track day guy out there that needs a 25mil cartridge kit.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:42 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4&6
Not to be rude , but there isn't a track day guy out there that needs a 25mil cartridge kit.
Just curious about that... the difference between the 20mm and 25mm is feel isn't it? What makes you think that there isn't a track day out there that couldn't hold his own with the guys on the circuit using 25mm?

Just because someone isn't racing, doesn't mean that they can't or shouldn't have the best. Or, just becasue they are starting on track days, doesn't mean that they won't become racers.

Personally, I think a better response would have been to explain perhaps why a lowly 'track day" rider doesn't need to spend the extra money on the 25s. If you could help educate me (perhaps others as well) I know that I would certainly appreciate it.

And help would be enlightening.

Thanks,

Brian

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:58 PM
4&6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink
Just curious about that... the difference between the 20mm and 25mm is feel isn't it? What makes you think that there isn't a track day out there that couldn't hold his own with the guys on the circuit using 25mm?

Just because someone isn't racing, doesn't mean that they can't or shouldn't have the best. Or, just becasue they are starting on track days, doesn't mean that they won't become racers.

Personally, I think a better response would have been to explain perhaps why a lowly 'track day" rider doesn't need to spend the extra money on the 25s. If you could help educate me (perhaps others as well) I know that I would certainly appreciate it.

And help would be enlightening.

Thanks,

Brian
most track day guys are there having fun and enjoying the day , your stock front end with whatever valves even restacking the stock ones set up properly will work perfectly for you . I am not saying you shouldn't spend your money on them but why waste it when it will not help you go any faster in lap times. Inever said a lowly track day rider so keep the attitude to yourself!Most people here are always looking at a price they can afford, just trying to help you out.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 06:02 PM

OK so what if I'm a "track day guy" that runs about 4-5 seconds off the track record? Is that still too slow to take advantage of the 25 mm kit? I'm not being an ass, I'm just asking what, in your opinion, ARE the advantages to this upgrade, and who DOES need them?
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 06:09 PM
4&6

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd
OK so what if I'm a "track day guy" that runs about 4-5 seconds off the track record? Is that still too slow to take advantage of the 25 mm kit? I'm not being an ass, I'm just asking what, in your opinion, ARE the advantages to this upgrade, and who DOES need them?
Fair question! Lets assume you can do 13's at Blackhawk. Thats pretty good.
The 25mil kit will maybe help you a tiny little bit to run at that pace. If your doing high 9's they wouldhelp maybe a little more. Mark juge holds the track record , i believe he uses traxxion 20 mil cartridges. Brian hall does low 10's he uses K-tech valves in his stock cartridges. Andy fuerinstaller does low 10's he uses traxxion, dan ortega uses ohlins 25 mil cartridges i believe. Shawn conrad uses stock forks with heavier oil , yes he does 10's. Dan Doty i think uses race tech he does 10's Drucker can tell you for sure. The pattern is that the 20mil stuff works great!
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 06:27 PM
Tell the police I'm busy

Sportbike: GSX-R 750
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4&6
The 25mil kit will maybe help you a tiny little bit to run at that pace. If your doing high 9's they wouldhelp maybe a little more. Mark juge holds the track record , i believe he uses traxxion 20 mil cartridges. Brian hall does low 10's he uses K-tech valves in his stock cartridges. Andy fuerinstaller does low 10's he uses traxxion, dan ortega uses ohlins 25 mil cartridges i believe. Shawn conrad uses stock forks with heavier oil , yes he does 10's. Dan Doty i think uses race tech he does 10's Drucker can tell you for sure. The pattern is that the 20mil stuff works great!
20 million dollars better work great. If I couldn't get by on that I'd have to look for new planet.

NESBA #95 A

Last edited by emoor; 12-20-2005 at 07:14 PM.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4&6
most track day guys are there having fun and enjoying the day , your stock front end with whatever valves even restacking the stock ones set up properly will work perfectly for you . I am not saying you shouldn't spend your money on them but why waste it when it will not help you go any faster in lap times. Inever said a lowly track day rider so keep the attitude to yourself!Most people here are always looking at a price they can afford, just trying to help you out.
Attitude?! I asked a fair question, and reworded it a few times prior to posting so not to show any attitude. However, now I have one.

Edit: remaining three paragaphs deleted after rewriting them three times. (My attitude was showing far too clearly)

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 11:43 PM
4&6

I must have misunderstood you then , I was just talking about lowly track day rider . i never refered to anyone as that.
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 12:04 AM
This show is 'Rated NC17'

Sportbike: Honda's & Yamaha's
Years Riding: Late 80's
How you found us: CLSB found me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd
OK so what if I'm a "track day guy" that runs about 4-5 seconds off the track record?
Really? 13's, Really?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4&6
The 25mil kit will maybe help you a tiny little bit to run at that pace. If your doing high 9's they wouldhelp maybe a little more. Mark Junge holds the track record , i believe he uses traxxion 20 mil cartridges. Brian hall does low 10's he uses K-tech valves in his stock cartridges. Andy Fuerinstaller does low 10's he uses traxxion, dan ortega uses ohlins 25 mil cartridges i believe. Shawn conrad uses stock forks with heavier oil , yes he does 10's. Dan Doty i think uses race tech he does 10's Drucker can tell you for sure. The pattern is that the 20mil stuff works great!
"13's at Blackhawk are pretty good" That's great! Go race CCS or WERA and have the majority of your season paid for. Listen (and learn) from the pro's and see what the fast kids are using. Nuff said. . .

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. ~ Buddha
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 08:17 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Nice to see the bench racing season in full swing.

I think when 4&6 begins a post with "not to be rude" you all should keep your huge wangs in check and relax a little. It's not like they don't have our best interest in mind when they make suggestions.

For instance, I once asked if an RC211V would help me shave a few seconds off my 2min laptimes at BHF. Their answer?

"Probably".

So see? The system works.

Now everyone take a deep breath and go buy whichever forks best accent your color scheme. Done and done.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Point well taken Patrick.

Now, who makes them in Flourescent Yellow?

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

TO add to a comment Kim made......

THe "old" 750 had Ohlins and I deem it about equal ( once adjusted ) to the "new" 750 with a Penske Triple on the back.... really really close.

Difference, the Ohlins had to be re-sprung and fiddled with to get it right.
THe Penske ( From Lindeman ) was right out of the box.

The "old" fork have Ohlins springs and stack, otherwise stock and were good.

The Lindeman forks on the "new" bike are better ( with springs and a stack adjustment) than the Ohlins forks on the "old" bike.

Amazing what a good tuner can do with "stock" forks.

The high-dollar stuff is marginally better but the law of diminishing returns applies heavily here... spend the extra dash and go to Spencer.

Tom

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
I'm a blessed man

Just for the record, it is not about shaving seconds...it is about getting the best feel I can get from the front end. I like to run hard, but I like to do it as safely as possible.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 01:46 PM
4&6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhix
Just for the record, it is not about shaving seconds...it is about getting the best feel I can get from the front end. I like to run hard, but I like to do it as safely as possible.
Good Point Ron!
it's just any of the options we give you the same feel when installed and adjusted properly. As an example Larry Denning liked the K tech 20mm valved forks better at Blackhawk versus the Ohlins 25 mil cartridges. The Ohlins were way to vague and had no feeling . Both on his 636 and R1.The point i was trying to make is that sometimes the most expensive option isn't always the best solution. jim
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 01:47 PM
4&6

Oh , not to change the subject , on a gsxr1000 the money would be better spent on a yosh em pro ecu. you can control so many functons that will make the bike more rideable. Jim
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
I'm a blessed man

Cool, thanks for the input Jim!

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tWisTEd
Really? 13's, Really?!

"13's at Blackhawk are pretty good" That's great! Go race CCS or WERA and have the majority of your season paid for. Listen (and learn) from the pro's and see what the fast kids are using. Nuff said. . .
For the record, I don't run THAT fast at BHF, but I fully expect to by the end of the season I was just using that as an example of some times I have seen track day guys put out. And yes, I am going to do some racing next year.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:28 PM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

trackday guys=racers

I would think that most racers do trackdays and alot of trackday guys race. That being said, the fellas that do 13's or better at BHF are either racers or ex racers(Garth, Drucker, Fedderson). Am I wrong? Oh and doing a 13 once don't count.

Almost forgot the point of the thread.... I have stock suspension front and rear and they work mighty fine for me. Of course it's a stock Ohlins rear shock.

Last edited by Chunk; 12-21-2005 at 11:31 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode