How much is too much? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
habitual line stepper

Sportbike: F4,Brutale,Warrior,DRZ
Years Riding: X
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Jack
How much is too much?

OK, my dream bike is up for sale. It's a track-only RC. A very custom bike, carbon fiber everything.

e-bay link

I've never really been able to justify why people buy fancy cars and stuff, but I know I would have a blast riding this bike around the track! But it would scare me too, wadding my current track bike is one thing, but wadding this? Riding something this expensive without insurance would be a little scary.

I wouldn't buy it because I think it's the hottest piece out there. In fact, there are much better and faster bikes out there for much less money. It's just that I've been following the creation of this bike for a long time, and drooling over it. It's an awesome piece of machinery, and very few if any like it. I'd get a lot of pleasure out of tooling around on it.

What do you think?

Last edited by Jack; 12-02-2002 at 10:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 10:55 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

In my opinion.....

You gotta keep your priorities straight. You made a good point in how would you feel if you balled it up.

I won't finance toys and I want to make sure all my other priorities are taken care of. I hate to admit it but my wife, my house, and putting food on our plates are not going to suffer cause I need to take on another bike payment, nor will I set back my retirement. If the money is there to throw away I will do it. Right now $$$ is a bit tight for me but that may change after January. So I have been holding off on some things I want for the bike.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 11:05 AM
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

I say if you can afford it comfortably (Note this is your judgement) have at it, just make sure you ride it. If it is sitting in your garage collecting dust, then NO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
habitual line stepper

Thanks Brian. I'm good in that respect, my toys are all paid for. This one would be hard to swing though, I'd have to sell a few things.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Financing isnt always a bad thing you just gotta make sure its under control. You cant put yourself in the poor house with it. Hell if I had to pay cash for a bike I would be riding around on a 1982 moped.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack
Thanks Brian. I'm good in that respect, my toys are all paid for. This one would be hard to swing though, I'd have to sell a few things.
Welcome,

well then I guess it's just a judgement on your part on what your willing to do without and keeping in mind you may have nothing if by chance the bike gets binned. If you don't care that you have to sell those thing then do it dude. I'd love to have any track bike right now, but I'm not willing to start selling anything I got to get it. I figure I'm only 27 and those things will come in time.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 11:15 AM

No such thing as TO MUCH!

If you have the means.....GO FOR IT!!! I read about that thing, its lighter than Colins WSB RC!!!!!!! You won't wad it up, I've seen many bikes crashed on the track....bikes get mangled...but I've yet to see one get outright destroyed beyond repair.

Get it and enjoy it, then take your wife out!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 11:15 AM

I was under the impression that most of the racing you guys do is covered under normal insurance... is it tougher to get a track bike insured or what?

The ebay link is broken... but I'd love to take a look at it...
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GsxrTony
Financing isnt always a bad thing you just gotta make sure its under control. You cant put yourself in the poor house with it. Hell if I had to pay cash for a bike I would be riding around on a 1982 moped.
No it's kool if your comfortable with it. I'm not because I worry too much about what can happen in the 3-5 years I'm finacing it. Plus if your gonna take it on the track I'd be awfully upset if I was making payments on a bike still a few years after I balled it up and haven't had the $$$$ to fix it. I like to pay cash for my toys that way all I can lose is the toy itself.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 11:17 AM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

None caims anything on thier insurance. I'm sure you could get insurance for the track but it would be expensive I'm guessing. If you ball it at the track it comes out of your pocket.

Also exact reason my Busa has not seen the track yet. Cant afford to self insur it.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy

No it's kool if your comfortable with it. I'm not because I worry too much about what can happen in the 3-5 years I'm finacing it. Plus if your gonna take it on the track I'd be awfully upset if I was making payments on a bike still a few years after I balled it up and haven't had the $$$$ to fix it. I like to pay cash for my toys that way all I can lose is the toy itself.

Oh I see where your comin from I was just saying that I never have that much cash on hand to buy one out right. I usually just finance them and bang away at the payments and pay them off early.

- Ronald Reagan

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stydie
I was under the impression that most of the racing you guys do is covered under normal insurance... is it tougher to get a track bike insured or what?

Not covered on the track bro.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 11:21 AM
Administrator

In fact idf you ball it and claim it a lot of guys will give youshit for claiming it. All that talk about raising all our rates and shit.

- Ronald Reagan

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Oh I see where your comin from I was just saying that I never have that much cash on hand to buy one out right. I usually just finance them and bang away at the payments and pay them off early.
Exactly, I like to keep the payments and credit lines open for necessities and emergencies, but that's just my comfort level. The only things I pay on is my house and one of my cars. The rest is paid for. That way I can concentrate on bangin' out payments to my retirement funds.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 11:35 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

You know i always thought 1 bike could keep my happy so long as i changed every so often. But now im not happy with 2 bikes, I want to have a v-twin race bike, i want a two stroke race bike and so on and so on.

So I say if you have the ability do it!! i would/will!!

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 11:59 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
You know i always thought 1 bike could keep my happy so long as i changed every so often. But now im not happy with 2 bikes, I want to have a v-twin race bike, i want a two stroke race bike and so on and so on.

So I say if you have the ability do it!! i would/will!!
Jim would use a different one for each session. Damn, I'd hate to be the guy behind him in the tech line.

"this may take awhile"

Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stydie

The insurance thing varies on several things...

Race bikes (like my HawkGT)-- NO insurance at all. If I bin it, I fix it. The only type of insurance you can get on a RACE bike would be off-track (theft/fire...ect), I've heard of ON-track insurance being availible, but you'd probably be looking at a $50,000 deductable= NOT WORTH IT

Trackdays (on a insured street bike)-- This is a gray area, some insurance Co's will cover on-track crashes. I know Statefarm does and I know several Nesba members who have claimed totaled bikes in track crashes. Statefarm told me that coverage is good...unless
a your racing (any competative event)
b your renting out your bike

My personal feelings are that if your insurance co. is willing to cover a trackday crash and you don't bend the truth why not claim it? You paid for the coverage. If you pull some shady stuff to get the claim to go through then I think you'd have some bad karma.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by vtr996

My personal feelings are that if your insurance co. is willing to cover a trackday crash and you don't bend the truth why not claim it? You paid for the coverage. If you pull some shady stuff to get the claim to go through then I think you'd have some bad karma.
My feelings are not to far from yours. Although most people will give you some heat for that position. They always bring out the you play, you pay aspect. both points of view have thier merit though.

- Ronald Reagan

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 12:07 PM

Wow....I was under the impression Statefarm would not cover anything that happens on a "racetrack". I know that's what my agent told me when I was dragracing.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy
I know that's what my agent told me when I was dragracing.
Key being competitive event. Track day is instructional. Thats allowed.

- Ronald Reagan

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 12:10 PM

Quote:

My feelings are not to far from yours. Although most people will give you some heat for that position. They always bring out the you play, you pay aspect. both points of view have thier merit though.

I feel the same way. I claimed my accident in March and I know it didn't make some happy since we were out playin, but I told my Insurance co it was my fault and if it's policy for them to raise my rates for that they will and I pay for it in the end. IMO

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Key being competitive event. Track day is instructional. Thats allowed.
I'll have to check again. I know my agents office help was a little slow at the time. If you know what I mean.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 12:42 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:

Of course you should make a claim, IF you understand that some companies are now jacking your rates for ONE at-fault claim and potentially dropping you for two. I know State Farm is accepting no new business from people with claims on their record.

As far as getting heat, we all know one thing for sure, insurance is a business and businesses need to make money. The line is a bit blurry but I think it's safe to assume that high-chair wheelies or falling off doing a standing christ is outside the boundaries of what the companies THINK they are insuring and lying about the crash is NOT the coverage you "paid for".

Insurance is SUPPOSED to be about assigned risk, and guess what, as the assigned risk of all riders increases we all pay the cost for the increased risk. Given a choice, I prefer passing along the bulk of the cost to those who show the bulk of the risk. To a degree that already happens, up to the point where people no longer carry insurance because they can't afford it and that cost then gets passed along to the rest of us.

As Bette Midler said, "Honey I'm old and can afford more insurance." So if in one breath you're bitching about insurance rates and with the next breath practicing behavior that raises insurance, well... I'm old and can afford more insurance.

Dave
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BusaDave

As Bette Midler said, "Honey I'm old and can afford more insurance." So if in one breath you're bitching about insurance rates and with the next breath practicing behavior that raises insurance, well... I'm old and can afford more insurance.

I laughed so hard during that part of the movie.

BTW: Good point Dave. I also thought about it this way when I claimed my accident. I was accident free since I was sixteen, no claims on bikes or cars or home. So i felt that I paid all those years I was going to use the coverage as long as the Insurance co agreed to cover me. So I did.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Well throw in a picture of a donkey fuckin a chicken and we can offically consider this thread basterdized

- Ronald Reagan

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 01:57 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20

My take on the original question, Jack is if you'd be comfortable affording it then do it. If you are not then don't. Its all about your comfort level.

As far as the insurance thing. I would claim it if it ammounted to a substantial amount. If your less than or relatively close to your deductable, no way would I claim it. And at the relatively low value of my bike anymore, it would almost have to be a total loss but thats my situation.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 04:30 PM
Lovin this Twin

Sportbike: 05 SV1000S, Wide Glide, DR350
Years Riding: 1/2 hour then it rained
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooligan
Well the highest bid was 20K and the reserve wasnt met........ what will this thing sell for?

I personally think its rediculous to spend that kind of money on a bike for track days.

And if you do lay it down.............How readily available are these rare parts that this bike has?

BTW... it sure is purdy!!!!

Id buy it if money wasnt an object.

This is gonna hurt!
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
habitual line stepper

Quote:
Originally posted by HooliganZX6
Well the highest bid was 20K and the reserve wasnt met........ what will this thing sell for?

I personally think its rediculous to spend that kind of money on a bike for track days.

And if you do lay it down.............How readily available are these rare parts that this bike has?

BTW... it sure is purdy!!!!

Id buy it if money wasnt an object.
Actually, there weren't any bids. I've talked to the owner and I know he's got over 30K invested.

They're considering raffling it off. The owner has agreed to it. They would need to sell $30K worth of tickets at proably $150 a pop. I'll let you know if it happens.

Yeah, it's silly the more I think about it. I was hoping you guys would talk me out of it, but I think most of you just want to give it a go! I don't need anything exotic, I'll probably just invest in a piece here and there. I just hate paying retail for anything.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 08:46 AM

Looks like the auction ended. I've seen SP-2 racebikes on a California HRC shop. They retail for $25-30k.

e-mail the guy and offer him $22k. Sounds like it's as well spec'd as a factory bike minus the factory 160HP engine.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 01:21 PM
G2G

He won't take under 30 grand for it. No matter what.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode