Autobahn North as a first trackday? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Autobahn North as a first trackday?

Well as you may or may not know, NESBA is holding a Blackhawk event on May 13th/14th... although I've heard Blackhawk isn't the friendliest track I REALLY have to restrain myself from signing up, school gets out on the 27th for me so I'd just like to finish out strong and not have my first freakin track day to worry about when I should be studying for finals that following week.

Anyway, Autobahn North is very early June, and I want you to give me reasons not to attend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 08:42 AM
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAlfredPrufrock
although I've heard Blackhawk isn't the friendliest track
BHF is probably the MOST friendly track in terms of environment. Easy to camp, good place to hang out after the day is over, electric is avail for like $20 for the weekend, etc. It is one of my favorites for this reason...and it is close.

The track itself is a good track, just not the safest due to the lack of runoff in certain areas.

I did my first track day at BHF and got comfortable by noon on the first day so you should be fine.

Ask for Ron, I'll take care of you.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975

Last edited by ronhix; 02-13-2006 at 08:47 AM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Any track you run off at speed is moderatly unfriendly..... so don't.

Use your brain, connect it directly to the throttle, control your speed and have a great time !

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

Autobahn North is a great track, although turn-2 can catch you by surprise if you're not paying attention. I can't honestly think of any reason not to go to Autobahn.

Blackhawk is nice track also like Ron said. Not too bad to learn, and generally a more pituresque riding experience.

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:27 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Either one is a great intro to track riding. I personally prefer AB North over BHF...mostly because of the track layout itself and the lack of trees. You picked a great organization to start with though...be sure to ask a lot of question with the Nesba coaches/control riders, they will treat you well.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Slow Poke

Sportbike: BMW Dakar
Years Riding: since '00
How you found us: member

Either track will be good to learn on. Nesba runs a tight ship, so I wouldn't let the trees scare you. I prefer BFR to ABN.

Do both, you'll thank me later.

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are the legislators."

www.allenskillicorn.com

Follow my views on Life (snarkiness), Liberty (politics), and Pursuit of Happiness (motorsports) on twitter. http://twitter.com/allenskillicorn
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudes13
Do both, you'll thank me later.
Have I thanked you yet for telling me about this forum?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Just go, you'll be fine

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 11:12 AM
CLSB Pimpologist

Sportbike: K5 Gixxer 750
Years Riding: 9 years but not that many miles....
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to HEESH
Me and the wife might be there for the first time as well on that date.

------------------------------------------------
-Heesh

I can't wait for the summer...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 03:16 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

Ive done both a lot, and youíll be fine on either one, thinking about crashing isnít good. But AB is better for crashing if youíre going to think that way "the only reason you should think of something like that is if youíre in high I group or A group and youíre HAULING ASS!"

on the flip note, BHF is very EASY to see the lay out as your riding, each corner is VERY visible, and you can navigate much easy on that track then AB north course cause there is a few corners that you must memorize turn in spots "which you should be doing regardless" but anyway there course isnt very easy to see which way its turning and just how much "for your newbie mind, BHF is very easy to ride and very easy to focus on 1 thing. Improving your riding.

Mind you this is a very small synopsis about getting you started, but itís pretty much what you are asking for at the moment.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 03:53 PM
kc6
I'm mad bro

Sportbike: butter churn
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

BHF was my first track last year, easy to learn and like Ron said you can't beat the track environment. Screw school, the track is far more important. AB north is ok, more run off but not as much fun (to me anyway). Putnam is my favorite thus far, tons of run off everywhere except the last corner, easy to learn and SO MUCH FUN! Nesba has dates at Putnam in may, I highly recommend you take a look. Good luck!

Kevin

Ask me how to get a free kick in the teeth!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stkr
Autobahn North is a great track, although turn-2 can catch you by surprise if you're not paying attention. I can't honestly think of any reason not to go to Autobahn.

Blackhawk is nice track also like Ron said. Not too bad to learn, and generally a more pituresque riding experience.
+1

I ended up in the grass on that one myself but I remained upright!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 06:27 PM

ABN is nice and smooth but too short, I prefer ABS. BHF is good, but watch out for the outside of turn 5. The dirt on the outside brought me down before.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 07:04 PM

Either track is fine for your first trackday. The control riders will take care of you, and provide as much help as you need or want. Blackhawk is great for being able to see the whole track, since the paddock is in the infield. ABN is my favorite. See ya out there
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys
Ive done both a lot, and youíll be fine on either one, thinking about crashing isnít good. But AB is better for crashing if youíre going to think that way "the only reason you should think of something like that is if youíre in high I group or A group and youíre HAULING ASS!"
That's really the only reason I've ever been told that BHF might not be the best n00b track, just that some parts of the course lack substantial run-off.

I'm never in the mindset that I'm going to crash but you know how the saying goes... "hope for the best prepare for the worst."

Glad to hear that BHF isn't exactly the man-eater that I thought it was, although I was never planning on NOT going this year in the first place... I was supposed to do a track day in my car out there a year or two ago and that got shot down at the last minute, been itching to go back ever since.

Come to think of it, I realized at the time I was getting my car prepped (mainly brakes) I was getting a lot of advice from a local shop owner that just went on and on about how the course was going to be hell on my car, there's no run-off, it's going to be hell on my brakes and tires, etc. I guess that's where most of my misunderstanding came from.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 08:23 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
I'd suggest skipping Blackhawk Farms..for now. The ONLY reason I say that is you have finals the week following. If your mind is thinking about that, it won't be thinking about the track, which is at least not as fun, and can be dangerous. Wait until a summer day, then go. People crash at Blackhawk becuase most of us are familar with it and push pretty hard there. Also, it tends to be VERY crowded there. Beginner group is always sold out, and intermediate is usually close. There's a few more passing opportunities at other tracks. Autobahn south has several safe passing spots, if you are comfortable hitting the brakes while in bumps.

But I suggest skipping the first Blackhawk day, you need to put your head into finals, so you can get good grades, land an awesome job and then be able to afford lots of trackdays

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
But I suggest skipping the first Blackhawk day, you need to put your head into finals, so you can get good grades, land an awesome job and then be able to afford lots of trackdays
We're on the same page my friend.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
I'd suggest skipping Blackhawk Farms..for now. The ONLY reason I say that is you have finals the week following. If your mind is thinking about that, it won't be thinking about the track, which is at least not as fun, and can be dangerous. Wait until a summer day, then go. People crash at Blackhawk becuase most of us are familar with it and push pretty hard there. Also, it tends to be VERY crowded there. Beginner group is always sold out, and intermediate is usually close. There's a few more passing opportunities at other tracks. Autobahn south has several safe passing spots, if you are comfortable hitting the brakes while in bumps.

Might be a good idea, depending on what finals you have coming. If its a standard rubber stamp credentialing process-type classes, I'd say fugit, hit the track.
If we're talking organic chem or something similiar, studying may be the best choice.
Then again, they say it's bad to cram before a big test.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 07:23 PM

I never thought I'd be able to say this on a motorcycle board: "Go ahead and eat that peach, Mr. Prufrock!"

Seriously, I'd wait for ABNorth - for what Grover said more than anything. North is also not nearly as bumpy as south, just a couple of spots.

Although I wonder if we'll start getting bigger crouds there. Hmmm. Errrr, No! DUUDE, Autobahn is WAYYYY too bumpy!
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 07:30 PM

If there is really concern for what track to hit as your first, perhaps a school might be your first step to track riding. There are a few organizations out there, and I am sure the other guys on the thread can rattle them off. I did sportbike 101 @ blackhawk with privatetracktime. There was a lot of hands on instruction, and some rudimentary track time, learning how to take a turn etc. That is just one option of many.

In the end, the track does not matter as long as you ride within your limits, at least for the first few track outings, and then, by all means, test the limits
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Lots of time to read between sessions..... :shrug

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 09:04 PM
I break everything!

Sportbike: SV650S, ZX6R, GSXR600
Years Riding: Since 04/2003
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARNEY
Lots of time to read between sessions..... :shrug
Haha, I've studied at a track day before...

If I were you, I'd do 4/8 and 4/9 at Putnam Park with STT. You will get a classroom environment which is a bit easier to handle than NESBA's beginner class. Plus, the early April date is far away from your finals so as to not affect it too much. Then do NESBA at Autobahn North. As a side benefit, the Autobahn North is right after your finals, but since you already did one track day, you know what to expect and won't be freaking out worrying about it during finals.

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 03:52 AM

Sportbike: All kinds.....
Years Riding: motorcycles are dangerous
How you found us: as

Just go you'll be fine
both tracks are near by

I've crashed at both
it's all good you'll be fine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode