I figured that there may be some people that haven't ever mounted "new" race bodywork before and could use this as an idea of what they may run into during the process. This is the first set that I have ever mounted, and have had a few problems along the way.
The problems that I've had are NOT all due to the manufacturer's design, but are actually due to my bike having aftermarket engine case covers, and an aftermarket Hindle exhaust system. I'm not bashing Armour Bodies here...just trying to show where you might have issues like I did. I contacted Armour Bodies and they said this was fairly common with race bikes.
I have added hi-lighting on the pictures with Photoshop to show the areas that had to be cut out. I used a dremmel tool with a cutoff wheel, and a sanding disc to shape the areas. I still need to hand sand and smooth them out prior to getting my paint done.
Click the thumbnails to enlage the pic. Opens a Putfile window.
The exhaust pipe wouldn't allow the lower fairing to come up to the rear mounting hole:
This shows how close it is, even after the cutting...
The steering damper pivot mount had some minor rubbing.
The coolant resevoir cap wouldn't let the upper fairing drop down in the back. Not bad, but enough to misalign it with the lower fairing.
This was the worst interferance. The stator case cover ouldn't allow the lower fairing to even come close to the upper. I transferred the cutout shape and location from my original Sharkskinz bodywork, so it didn't line up perfect, but it was pretty close.
Here, you can see just how far the case cover protrudes through the lower fairing. You can imagine the frustration when trying to do this for the first time. The thought of taking a dremmel tool to the fairings just about made me sick.
Here's an overview of the new bodywork. Rear view. The furniture by the door is finally leaving my garage tomorrow. Now I'll get some workspace back.
***Yes, I know there's a gas can/propane tank near the heater. Hindsight is 20/20
Here's the front view...I still need to mount the front fender.
This was a cutout for the starter gear cover. It didn't hit too bad, but I gave it some relief anyway.
Hope this helps someone down the road. Due to the many different manufacturers and designs of exhausts and case covers, the bodywork can't be designed to accomodate them all. Just be prepared to do some trimming and cussing while you mount your new bodywork.
Images hosted by Putfile.com Upload Video and Images - Putfile