Whats the deal with membership? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Whats the deal with membership?

I understand that you need to be a member to register for events, but whats up with the $75 fee? Thats huge if you're not sure you are going to do alot of events with Nesba. STT is only $30 for their membership. Is there some huge benefit to Nesba membership that Im missing? Its alot of money to pay for the right to register at one or two trackdays a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 07:01 PM
I break everything!

Sportbike: SV650S, ZX6R, GSXR600
Years Riding: Since 04/2003
How you found us: Google

Huge benefit if you are a regular customer... if you only do a couple events then it is steep, however, I've used their benefits many times. Crash insurance, mechanical insurance, rain insurance... I've taken advantage of all of them, and that's just in a year. Over $500 worth of credits.

For example, I go to track on Saturday and crash in the morning. I get 1/2 of Saturday credited back, and all of Sunday credited back as well to use next time. With STT, you would just have to hope someone comes by to buy your spot on Sunday. Hell, Garth even gave me a $75 credit once because I missed the afternoon due to me neglecting to replace the chain on my bike until the last minute.

If you are only planning to do 1 or 2 days a year, just do STT, their Novice group is a lot more structured anyways with a lot more instruction. I love NESBA, but I always recommend STT for a first time track rider.

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 08:07 PM

There are many more benefits with NESBA membership. Like Jon said, crash, rain, and mechanical insurance are just a few. Plus don't forget that STT charges you and guests $5 at the gate each day. It doesn't take long for those fees to add up, esp. if you bring several people with you. There is never a gate fee for you or your guests. NESBA has a membership drive early in the season that can save you some money too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 09:26 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

+1 Jon. Well put.

It was explained to me this way once a few years ago.

"If you can't affort to throw $75 into a membership...perhaps you're not ready to be riding the track just yet."

Sounds harsh but it's true. Hell I spent $350 yesterday getting ready for BHF and I'm not even close to done! I like Chris' bank robbery idea...

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 09:53 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
+1 Jon. Well put.

"If you can't affort to throw $75 into a membership...perhaps you're not ready to be riding the track just yet."

Sounds harsh but it's true. Hell I spent $350 yesterday getting ready for BHF and I'm not even close to done! I like Chris' bank robbery idea...

+100

75? i spend that in race fuel per day!

post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 10:07 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
You get a steep discount if you preregister, and an additional $15 off after the first day if you buy a weekend (or three day if they have it).

If you preregister and do one entire weekend, the $75 is made up. After that you are saving money. That's not counting the extra insurance and credits, etc. that the director can give.

It's a bit pricier, but given the tendency for rain around here, it's not too bad.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 10:07 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Not to mention tires, gas for the truck .....oh and BEER BUDGET !

That BEER BUDGET will f&*k you up bad !

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Nicely put! Support the sport.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 10:51 AM
I break everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARNEY
Not to mention tires, gas for the truck .....oh and BEER!

That BEER will f&*k you up bad !

Tom
Corrected, for what you really meant to say

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Its not that I cant afford it guys. Its that its kind of a rip off compared to what Im used to. Ive done several track days with my vette, so Im well aware of all the usual costs involved. Tires, hotels, gas, brakes, etc, etc. I spent over a grand prepping for Road America when I went threre. I have a cage in the car too.

Just no track event I have ever been to with my car has required you to join a club to run. None of them have special fees for non-members, and the cost for the day is the same or cheaper than NESBA or STT.

Just one of those things that seems like an excessive fee for no real benefit. If non-members cant run, why not just roll the fee into the cost of the events? Or is the purpose of the fee to actively drive away people who only want to do a couple events a year?
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 11:50 AM
YO MAMA

i suggest calling up Bob at nesba or talk to one of his employees at there office.

its already been explained, so you do your homework if STT or whom ever gives the types of benifits that nesba does.

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 12:12 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

I'm totally reaching here.-------

Maybe it's more than the car stuff because the insurance costs more for the bikes?

I don't really have a problem paying it, while I would rather ride the track for free, I don't see that happening.

I"ve never done STT track days, but I have a blast when I do the NESBA stuff, and every time I've gone I have seen a generous, fun, honest group of people. I've seen people really go out of their way to help a guy pass tech or get a guy on his way after a get off.

They's good people
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker
I'm totally reaching here.-------

Maybe it's more than the car stuff because the insurance costs more for the bikes?
Oh, Im sure the insurance is probably more. But I guess my point is more of why its not part of the track fees. Why do you pay for an entire year of insurance up front if you're doing only 1-2 events.

Only thing I can come up with is 1) So the are sure to recoup more of the "free trial" costs out of the n00bs. 2) They want to make their event fees look the same as other orgs while maintaining more benefits. or 3) They want to make sure their membership is primarily composed of regulars.

Anyhow, I sent them an email about the whole thing. I doubt anything will come of it though.

Curious though. Do many people actually do the free intro at Nesba and not sign up for the rest of the day?
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 12:40 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls14evar
Oh, Im sure the insurance is probably more. But I guess my point is more of why its not part of the track fees. Why do you pay for an entire year of insurance up front if you're doing only 1-2 events.

it's the same as motorcycling... i pay insurance on my bike for the ability to ride it all summer long. Now if I only ride it on weekends, I still pay the insurance the whole time. Some people put 20K miles a year on there bike, others 400... they pay the same basic rates in insurance. same concept.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
it's the same as motorcycling... i pay insurance on my bike for the ability to ride it all summer long. Now if I only ride it on weekends, I still pay the insurance the whole time. Some people put 20K miles a year on there bike, others 400... they pay the same basic rates in insurance. same concept.
Except that I expect that they're paying for the number of events x number of riders are the event. Or that's how trackday insurance for autos works anyways. But that's insuring the car, not general liability.

Anyhow I guess its a silly discussion. Either I come or I wont. Most likely will end up doing STT this year though since I cant get in on the discount membership winter rate and I will likely only be able to make a couple events anyways. Besides Jon said its better for n00bs anyways.

Thanks guys.
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 04:28 PM
YO MAMA

wow, your coming off as in need of a tapon, or kotex even.

CALL them, if not stick with whom ever.

this almost sounds like bashing to me.

post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 04:51 PM
YO MAMA

i just went over to see what they are offering this year, and there list of benifits compared to nesba is not even close.

if you like i can put you in contact with Garth or Carrol.

right away to talk to you and explain this over the phone.

dont get me wrong, both clubs are both clubs, but i feel stronger about nesba!

thats why they endorse CLSB and i endorse them!

if your just looking to rip it up out on the track with a bike and your a expert racer or A group track day rider, then start looking for people putting on personal track days, for the ultra cheap experance.

just watch your ass cause most of them dont care other then getting your money.

post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Nah, I dont have a hard on for either org. Just having a discussion.
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Not a regular at SOW!

Sportbike: Honda CBR600 F4I
Years Riding: been riding since 90
How you found us: surfing the web

Send a message via AIM to crash11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGu
rain insurance... .
what's rain insurance for 'rust'?

post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 05:08 PM
I break everything!

When you go to an event and it gets rained out badly enough that no one gets on the track all day, they will send you home and give you full credit for the day so you can come back another day.

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 05:37 PM

Sportbike: smokey one
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: stumbled onto you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls14evar
Just no track event I have ever been to with my car has required you to join a club to run. None of them have special fees for non-members, and the cost for the day is the same or cheaper than NESBA or STT.

Just looking at my local PCA publication.
Autobahn full May 1 06
PCA member 1st driver $180
Family member = 2nd driver same car $90
Non PCA member in member car (same car non member 2nd driver) $180
Non PCA member 1st driver (their car) $220

Not a cheap day by any means but for many PCA'ers means are not a big issue. Sad to say I am not one of those wealthy wankers

I will say I like the "feel" I get from NESBA if that makes any sense.

WERA 917 EX
NESBA 917 A
CWIRA 917

Aprilia
RS250 dsb
Kaw 6r ss
ice
KX500 open C
post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 09:59 PM

PTT has no membership fees, and rates are the same or cheaper than nesba ... oh ... and you get to ride more too.
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Ptt? what is that?
post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 12:53 AM
YO MAMA

hey if this is gonna turn out into a total fucken spam thread in the NESBA forum, lets move it.

and remember DONT hyper link shit.

post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys
hey if this is gonna turn out into a total fucken spam thread in the NESBA forum, lets move it.

and remember DONT hyper link shit.
Hope this ain't breakin the rules, but Nesba vs PTT is not a very equal comparison. Nesba is Nesba...there's a whole lotta benefits for that $75. PTT is grea too...a buddy of mine runs it and he does a pretty good job. But they are pretty different.

PTT at this time is more for the occassional track guy or for regulars to have a filler day in the middle of the week. Most of Privatetracktime's track days are during the week. Where as for the same price with Nesba you're going on a weekend. Also PTT is much more limited in terms of days of course. And since Nesba is a sponsor here that's where I'll cut me-self off If I didn't have a bunch of free days with STT I might sign up for Nesba...so prolly next year.
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 11:58 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Also, not mentioned yet, is that some places offer discounts to NESBA members for purchase of tires and such, am I wrong on this?

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Nesba sell tires on their site IIRC.
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 12:36 PM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

Although I have not done any days with STT or PTT I can tell you that I have nothing but good things to say about NESBA.

Both the track days and the season are very well run & organized. The focus on safety is strong & consistant. The people running the show are competent and they care. The benefits are worth a few extra bones.

Perhaps someone with more experience can shed more light on this but it's possible NESBA spends more coin on safety personnel, corner workers, medical staff, etc. and the membership dues cover some or all of that.
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

I agree that Nesba does have some really cool benefits guys. Better than the other orgs Ive researched for sure. My bone with it isnt the level of benefits, or really even that it is more money. Rather that its the entire more money all at once.

Ill probably look into joining Nesba next winter during the membership drive if my trackdays go well this year.
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 02:28 PM
YO MAMA

the whole point of this thread was why is nesbas membership 75 bucks a year.

well you guys figured it out huh?

they blow the competition away with there benifits and the amount of services they offer, the safer higher end tracks, there benifits for rain, crashing break downs, there parts and gear that they can get etc.

there is no org like them that offers as much as they do OFF the track and ON IT!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode