I signed up for my 1st track day. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Got Wood?

Sportbike: Honda CBR600rr
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: yahoo

I signed up for my 1st track day.

Unfortunately it is not Nesba but PTT. Nesba does'nt seem to have any track days during the week, but PTT does. It's easier for me to get days off during the week than the weekends.

Anyways my track day is scheduled for June 22. I'll be taking the SportRiding 101 class. Hope to meet people on this forum going to this. May need a way to haul my bike there, or I may ride it there, or even rent a uhaul van.

Is PTT a decent organization, or am I getting myself into a bad situation??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Great guys......

Have a good time, then come to a NESBA event. NESBA ROCKS !

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 01:50 PM
I break everything!

Sportbike: SV650S, ZX6R, GSXR600
Years Riding: Since 04/2003
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflor001
Unfortunately it is not Nesba but PTT. Nesba does'nt seem to have any track days during the week, but PTT does. It's easier for me to get days off during the week than the weekends.

Anyways my track day is scheduled for June 22. I'll be taking the SportRiding 101 class. Hope to meet people on this forum going to this. May need a way to haul my bike there, or I may ride it there, or even rent a uhaul van.

I'm in Streamwood, and you can borrow my motorcycle trailer if you have a hitch on your car. It's tiny so you can tow it with anything.

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Got Wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGu
I'm in Streamwood, and you can borrow my motorcycle trailer if you have a hitch on your car. It's tiny so you can tow it with anything.
I'll think about it, I have a Kia Rio and no hitch. I'm not sure a Kia Rio can haul that much weight even if I put a hitch on it. Funny, I just realized my CBR600rr has more horses/torque than my Kia, maybe Ill haul my Kia with my bike.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 01:55 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Leon (runs PTT) is a good guy. I've pitted with him a couple times at races, rides a XB9R. He goes through a lot of work to make sure you have a good time. From what I've heard, Sportriding 101 class covers basics much like an STT novice day.

I've done a couple of his days and might do one or two this summer. He's pretty much the 'go to' guy that dealers and organizations use to take care of track days. They buy 'X' number of seats, he takes care of the logistics with the track.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Quote:

Check out the Road America dates, they are usually during the week. Next time around it is on a Monday-Tuesday for NESBA.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 11:12 PM

Sportbike: none...all gone
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: ken

Talking

Quote:

I rode with them last year and had a real good experience. Leon is a stand-up guy running the show. Good thing is they limit the track density for every event to 20 riders per session. Also, you can pass in more places.
I'm thinking about the same date and have an enclosed trailer we can use. Let me know by pm and we'll work it out.

BTW...I too, sport a CBR600RR

CCS race official
sold the track bike
too slow to ride

"Repairs end December 31. 2011."

OK, it was a tough day.....back open again!!!
Bring me your broken down machines.

Butch @ 630-777-0273

Ytrap #819, forever in my prayers.
Arch, this Bud is for you..
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 11:13 PM

Don't worry you'll be fine. It's nice to pay a bit less for the PTT trackdays for weekdays Not to mention I highly suggest the PTT day when they do the full Autobahn course. That day is sponsored by Buell, it's only $100, and they put you through some courses as well as give you your photos at the end of the day.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 11:47 PM

Quote:
I went to one of the 101's last year, and I liked it. We were put in groups of 4 or so per control rider, and the CRs will give you feedback on what you can improve. It might not be very useful for everyone, but if you have some self-thought bad habits, they will sort it out for you. It had a little too much of a MSF feel to it, with some pretty lame exercises and stating-the-bloddy-obvious class lessons, but after the first two sessions it was free-for-all and a lot of track time. And you don't need to do anything with your bike except tape up the glass (make sure nothing is leaking and that it's in good condition, or you will not be allowed out), and you can ride in jeans. Being on a track is really cool, you get to expand your limits and learn a lot without much risk. Everyone that was new to track riding had a blast. The crew was super friendly and very helpful.

Only bad things about this setup:
1) It's not a racing school, it's a newbie one-size-fits-all class. If you know your way around a track, this course doesn't offer much over an open track.
2) My course was pretty crowded, a bit more people than advertised and the track was a bit congested, mainly because everyone except a handful rode slow as fuck (and most of them gunned it on the straight)

I also thought some of the instructors passed too close and fast, I check my mirrors all time in traffic, and I never quite got used to the shock of a tuned-up literbike with open exhaust fly by within 6-10 feet at twice my speed.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 12:14 AM

Sportbike: none...all gone
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: ken

Talking

I've riden both Nesba and PTT. Mostly because I wanted to ride and the opportunity for a mid-week day worked. I enjoyed PTT but there is no comparison. I question an organization that would allow such unsafe conditions as described "you can ride in jeans" and "only tape up the glass".
I signed up for their novice group. I was shocked when the track coaches could barely keep up to my slow pace. I'm a Nesba beginner. Superior skills are learned from superior riders in most cases. Not all for sure, but I'm finding out that in most cases the superior riders have far more ability to offer those needed tips for improvement. I won't slam PTT. I liked my experience there but I was somewhat educated as to the dangers I subjected myself.
The dangers of the track or risks that we subject each other to are real. No one knows this better than the experienced organization like Nesba.
my.02 no offense intended.

CCS race official
sold the track bike
too slow to ride

"Repairs end December 31. 2011."

OK, it was a tough day.....back open again!!!
Bring me your broken down machines.

Butch @ 630-777-0273

Ytrap #819, forever in my prayers.
Arch, this Bud is for you..

Last edited by butchf; 05-11-2006 at 12:28 AM.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchf
I question an organization that would allow such unsafe conditions as described "you can ride in jeans" and "only tape up the glass".
Just of curiosity, what is wrong with this? I was probably a lot safer riding on the track than I was riding to and from it on public streets in traffic. How far should this safety obsession go, maybe build the track inside a giant marshmellow and only allow one rider out at the time, electronically limited to 20 mph? They're a small time enthusiast-driven tracktime organization, not an institutional substitute for a hysterical mum. Well, just my opinion.

Also, without claiming to be anything close to an expert on this, I thought leathers mainly prevented roadrash. It's usually the rolling the breaks limbs, and the impact that causes serious injuries?
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 05:47 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Leathers, Gauntlet Gloves, Riding Boots, Full Helmet.

A "get off" on the track might potentially be at SIGNIFICANTLY higher speeds than normal compared to the street. Depending on your level of aggression when riding on the track, it also might be more likely that you crash on the track.

Leathers are definitely to assist with road rash, but they are also significantly reinforced in all impact areas. These can also help minimize internal breakage, although not stop it entirely. You can still get road rash in a cheap or poorly fitting suit (leathers). Make sure that the leathers fit tightly, and that they are of high construction quality to avoid seams that burst upon impact.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:34 AM
I break everything!

Sportbike: SV650S, ZX6R, GSXR600
Years Riding: Since 04/2003
How you found us: Google

The track is "safer" in the sense that you don't have to worry about a car T-boning you, and in most cases there is run-off instead of guardrail if you do crash. Also the environment is controlled and there are corner workers to inform you of debris on the ground, downed bikes, and such.

This doesn't mean you will crash less though... because it is a safer environment, track riders feel more confident about pushing their limits and occassionally crossing those limits. You can ride for 10,000 miles on the street without ever crashing once, but I've never heard of someone ride that many miles on the track without a couple of spills.

In short, it is safer to crash on the race track, more crashes do happen on the race track, and if you are well protected, most of the time you will be OK.

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:53 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

cfig, your statement scares me a little. err... a lot.

I won't get all preachy, but be sure to post up about your first "kneedragging in Levis" experience. I'm sure it will be one to remember!

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 09:12 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog

I won't get all preachy, but be sure to post up about your first "kneedragging in Levis" experience. I'm sure it will be one to remember!
does looping Jay's 50 at the oval and then forgetting to let go of the handle bars and being pulled several feet by the bike count as my first knee dragging experience in levi's?

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Got Wood?

Just to let you guys know, I will have the protection part covered. I just bought a Moto GP kangaroo suit, Sidi Boots, A* GP tech gloves, and a back protector from Velocity Gear is in the works.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:

For me, based on my riding style, the track was relatively low-risk compared to public roads. Sure greater chance of crashing on the track (assuming you ride hard, which btw most didn't do on the 101 course I attended), but most likely it will not cause significant injuries, and that is what matters (to me). It's a different set of dice to roll on a street crash. Jeans vs. leather doesn't usually change that to the extent that for example helmets will, so it is (in my perhaps uninformed opinion) the wrong target for all the attention here. If people are willing to accept the risk (most likely road-rash), that should be their business, and while I understand the different natures of track and street, I'm not entirely buying into how jeans are usually acceptable for one but a cardinal sin for the other. I'm not trying to make a stance against protective gear, I just find it refreshing that it's possible to get on a controlled track environment without being required to get rather expensive, impractical and arguably not strictly necessary gear before you even had a little go at it.

For what it's worth, I wasn't in jeans and any kneedragging from this guy isn't likely to occur before falling off the bike. I however specialize in scraping my boots, I find that an excellent way of disrupting and adding some excitement to what would otherwise be a wasted uneventful smooth turn..
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 12:43 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Well put Chris. To each their own.

From a trackday perspective, I would argue that road rash, though your choice, is going to slow your ability to get off the track I'm paying to ride.

Example: Simple lowside.

Leathers - You slide along, get up, dustoff, collect the bike and go to the pits or head back out and keep riding.

Jeans - You lay there in agony with rocks stuck in your hip. The session stops while they send the cart or medics out to collect you and your bike. You consume the time and energy of the med staff while they patch you and your rash up.

So yeah, you tie up my time and shared resources to some extent by not wearing the extra gear (on the track)

As for scraping pegs - some might suggest that you should be paying more attention to body position lessons during your track time. I'm not an insufferable prick though, so I won't bring it up.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
As for scraping pegs - some might suggest that you should be paying more attention to body position lessons during your track time. I'm not an insufferable prick though, so I won't bring it up.
Yep, that was one of the things I learned on the track.. uh started to learn about is more accurate. I have pretty big feet and need to pay attention to accurately cram the boots in just right, or else they might scrape when leaning over hard. It's usually not a big deal, but once when a little tired and jerking/forcing the bike to lean (instead of the smoothness which is so crucial), I hit my boot hard and instinctively jumped up twitching my bike... Thanks for not bringing this sore subject up..

Speaking of body position on such, one thing I never really figured out or even got a good theoretical answer to is weight distribution. Rule of thumb, when leaned over, what should be the body-weight on the four major touch points of the bike: inside peg, ass, handlebars and outside peg. I found my riding to go a lot better the more weight I put on the inside peg (shifting from the ass), but one of instructors claimed it should only be about 10-15 lbs... (but she rode really smooth, to bring out an old cliche, she was one with her bike, like she was glued to the damn thing, lying in the bike more than sitting on it)
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Quote:
Well put Chris. To each their own.

From a trackday perspective, I would argue that road rash, though your choice, is going to slow your ability to get off the track I'm paying to ride.

Example: Simple lowside.

Leathers - You slide along, get up, dustoff, collect the bike and go to the pits or head back out and keep riding.

Jeans - You lay there in agony with rocks stuck in your hip. The session stops while they send the cart or medics out to collect you and your bike. You consume the time and energy of the med staff while they patch you and your rash up.

So yeah, you tie up my time and shared resources to some extent by not wearing the extra gear (on the track)

Man, gotta watch out for that Underdog dude. He really values his on track time.

j/k Patrick

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I just find it refreshing that it's possible to get on a controlled track environment without being required to get rather expensive, impractical and arguably not strictly necessary gear before you even had a little go at it.
Rather expensive?..... ambulance ride, emerg room costs, skin grafts

Impractical?..... lost wages, nasty scarring, explaining how you cheaped out
and got busted

not strictly necessary?.... if I'm really careful, I won't crash, guess a helmet isn't
strictly necessary either

Used 1 piece leathers can be had for $200. Leather pants w/armor can be had for $100.

I guess it's the riders choice, and that's fine. It just makes me feel good that there's someone out there dumber than me

And it's funny how.... in my experience.... the guys who complain about how much leathers cost, often are sporting an absolutely useless $1000 full exhaust system.

Last edited by barryd; 05-11-2006 at 07:50 PM.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 07:54 PM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd
Rather expensive?..... ambulance ride, emerg room costs, skin grafts

Impractical?..... lost wages, nasty scarring, explaining how you cheaped out
and got busted

not strictly necessary?.... if I'm really careful, I won't crash, guess a helmet isn't
strictly necessary either

Used 1 piece leathers can be had for $200. Leather pants w/armor can be had for $100.

I guess it's the riders choice, and that's fine. It just makes me feel good that there's someone out there dumber than me

And it's funny how.... in my experience.... the guys who complain about how much leathers cost, often are sporting an absolutely useless $1000 full exhaust system.
rep points, very well said my friend. VERY WELL SAID!

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:13 PM

I would really hate to see someone on the track in denim. It really doesn't cost that much to buy a set of riding pants and it really can save your ass. (literally!)
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:28 PM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls14evar
I would really hate to see someone on the track in denim. It really doesn't cost that much to buy a set of riding pants and it really can save your ass. (literally!)
I wore holes in the knees of my leather chaps and jeans underneath at Deals Gap Yes I was wearing jeans underneath my chaps

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 09:08 PM

Sportbike: Honda RS 125
Years Riding: just starting to learn
How you found us: accidentally

Does anybody have more info on this SportRiding 101 class on June 22. I looked at their website and I couldn't find anything for that day. I would like to go on a weekday as well, but need more info. Thanks guys.

-Jaime

RIP Ashwin 788
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Got Wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeguy
Does anybody have more info on this SportRiding 101 class on June 22. I looked at their website and I couldn't find anything for that day. I would like to go on a weekday as well, but need more info. Thanks guys.

If you click the menu bar on the left hand side that says, "Adv. Street Rider Training" it's under that link. You also have to register with the site. And then you can actually register for the event. Last time I looked at it, it said it was open. Maybe Ill see you there.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 12:01 AM

Cool, thanks man. I'll try to PM you a week or two before if I decide to go that day. Right now I'm looking for a set of boots and some leather pants.

-Jaime

RIP Ashwin 788
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:23 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
For more details, just email Leon. He's pretty quick to respond.

I may have Joe Rocket leather pants for sale in the next couple weeks. But you have to be SKINNY to fit into them, I barely make it now. (30 waist, about 30 inseam).

-Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
If you click the menu bar on the left hand side that says, "Adv. Street Rider Training" it's under that link. You also have to register with the site. And then you can actually register for the event. Last time I looked at it, it said it was open. Maybe Ill see you there.
For some reason, I can't find this link on their website. I see the menu bar on the left side but nothing says adv. street rider training. Maybe it's something with my computer. I also checked the june trackdays and saw nothing about the sportbike101 class. I think the June dates are all sold out but I'm just trying to sign up for the next one. Can someone post a link to this advanced street rider training section. Thanks guys.

-Jaime

RIP Ashwin 788
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Got Wood?

Ask and you shall recieve.

http://www.privatetracktime.com/asrt/101.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeguy
For some reason, I can't find this link on their website. I see the menu bar on the left side but nothing says adv. street rider training. Maybe it's something with my computer. I also checked the june trackdays and saw nothing about the sportbike101 class. I think the June dates are all sold out but I'm just trying to sign up for the next one. Can someone post a link to this advanced street rider training section. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode