putnam, june 24th and 25th. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
putnam, june 24th and 25th.

okay.

I am going to have my first track day on june 24th at putnam raceways. I am going to be going for the first time. I am looking for some advice.

#1, camp or hotel, do people usually drive down friday night, or sat morning?

#2, I am thinking about signing up for the sunday after as well. I would like to ride the track both days, but being my first time is this a good idea? I heard that when you consider the cost of gas to get there there and back it makes more sense to do a two day event when possible.

#3, what should I bring? please remember that I am a track newb (and might I add, not much of a camper either) so I assume I should bring a cooler full of water/gatorade for during the day, along with some snacks, and then my favorite frosty beverage for the evening? what about gas for the bike, how much will i need for a one day event (SV650) how about a two day event? I have a rear stand, is that all I need for my bike?

#4my m1 on the back of my bike has about 3K miles on it, and is JUST starting to square off, there is still plent of tread on it but I am doing the F4t, should I have a spare tire with me and plan on having it mounted at the track?

as for gear, I have a set of gauntlet gloves, a two piece suit, a pair of street motorcycle boots, and a full face helmet, what else do i need?

I am very excited to try this...

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 02:45 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Chris,

I'm planning to go down for that weekend as well. We'll look for some other folks and try to get a room for the weekend. You can't camp at the track there, so you're better off hitting the hotel.

You'll be fine for the gear. Two days are nicer since it's a helluva drive, and a super fun track!

Bring a tire with you and the tools you might need to have it swapped trackside - super cheap, and Putnam eats tires so you're better off with some insurance!

Looking forward to it yo!

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 02:50 PM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

1) Chris, I would head down the night before if you can. It makes it easier to focus on the matter at hand if you're not rushing in the morning.
2) I could go either way here. You'll learn much more running both days but you'll be using some muscles you normally don't & might be sore/tired sunday.
3) Tools, spares, track map, lots of fluids, an easy up if you have one, lawn chairs, fuel, gear, and some extra fluids (distilled water, oil, chain lube, etc). I like to make a checklist just in case. I got to BHF without a helmet once...
4) I would get a spare rear. It might be thin by the end of the F4T. If you don't mount it for Putnam you will always use it later.
5) Take rain gear (you might need it). Take some good underlayers to wear beneath your leathers.

Above all, enjoy it man! Nothing else quite like it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 02:51 PM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
There is a camp site within 5 miles of the track. It is where Mopar, Wink, Ronhix, and I stayed last weekend.

Ian
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Chris,

I'm planning to go down for that weekend as well. We'll look for some other folks and try to get a room for the weekend. You can't camp at the track there, so you're better off hitting the hotel.

You'll be fine for the gear. Two days are nicer since it's a helluva drive, and a super fun track!

Bring a tire with you and the tools you might need to have it swapped trackside - super cheap, and Putnam eats tires so you're better off with some insurance!

Looking forward to it yo!
patrick,

how do you get your bike down there? this is another concern I have... I was thinking maybe renting a truck? I might be able to borrow an SUV for the weekend which has a hitch, but I gots no trailer and no promises that I would have the SUV to begin with.

<-- Chris

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

For me, "hanging out with the fellas" is a big portion of doing track days. That is why I would advise you to get plugged in with the guys that are track day regulars. Consider camping with them and find out where everyone is going to grab something to eat after the day is over and join everyone.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhix
For me, "hanging out with the fellas" is a big portion of doing track days. That is why I would advise you to get plugged in with the guys that are track day regulars. Consider camping with them and find out where everyone is going to grab something to eat after the day is over and join everyone.

ron,

do you usually camp down at putnam?

<-- Chris

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 03:39 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Hell I'd camp, but I'm low on supplies - and rooms are usually pretty reasonable down there. Chris, there's a campground right by the track that lots of people crash at. There's also a hotel that's full of bikes and trailers where I've stayed a few times.

Potato - Potatoe.

As for getting down there, I've learned that my trailer is um... barely roadworthy. I'm going to fix it up and see if that helps. If not, I'd be up for renting something with ya when the time comes.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

We camped at Cloverdale RV park. Great time was had with the gang.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 03:47 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhix
I liked Old Toppers! There are now about 4 hotel options in Cloverdale, and the RV park on the other side of the interstate. They run the gambit of 'damn, this is cheap' to 'not too bad'.

You should be okay either way, but if you don't have the gear for camping, I'd hit a hotel. A good night's sleep is vital to riding tough for two days. You can keep the bike, trailer, etc. at the track overnight.

-Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode