Post first supermoto race in Springfield - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 02:51 PM
G2G

Post first supermoto race in Springfield

Well got to the track around 3pm and it was about 98 degrees . The go carts were just finishing up so I went and set up my pit. Unloaded the ezup and bikes from the van and kept on hydrating throughout the day. Went up and payed my entry fee's and got in line for tech. Robbie one of the new oval rgulars was there he is a friend of NickIF. He helped me set up my pit and toss a overflow catchcan on my 50 for the pit bike races I entered also.

Practice
Well first practice was the pitbikes and got tto learn the track a little. I noticed not one person had a stock 50 out there so it kind of made it a boring class to sign up for since the track was not favoring smaller hp bikes which was cool no big deal.
Next was practice for the Amatuer open class whick I signed up for. Well I had the bike ready to go tire pressures set and off i went to pit in. One thing a couple of locals kept telling me was watch out for the first right hander after the dirt section it is pretty slick since it is not blacktop but a nice repoured smooth section of cement. Well after the first corner it the dirt section, a couple of jumps I kinda took it easy on and there was a woop section. Well I died the bike out and tried to restart it. Well let me tell you I am getting pretty good at starting this four stroke but in temps above 95 and in full leathers with my out of shape ass it was a project. I finally gave up and pushed it off the track and nearly passed out. I sat in the shade and and drank more water.
Practice 1 consisted of a 1/4 of a lap not even . Well I got prepared for the second 15 min. practice and told myself just be smooth and keep the bike running . Well I head for pit out get into the dirt and make it through with no problem and as I get through the dirt I see 2 other guys tring to kick start there bike I think to myself man I know how that feels well I make a left out of the dirt section and another left and get to the slick right hander and bam I am on my ass and I was not even going fast. I lowsided and was ok but after I got the bike picked up and out of the way I couldn't get it started as it was flooded. So 2 practice sessions and I have not even completed a 1/4 of a lap. FUUUUCK
So now I am in my pits dizzy as all hell and just trying to cool down. I do a once over and check out the damage and there is none. SO I am happy, at least there is one good thing about a motard it does crash very well.

1st Heat
OK next is the first heat race. I am a little nervous as I have not had one lap of practice and this is my first supermoto race. In roadracing I feel in control I can place pretty well and take home some type of wood (trophie) every race weekend. Well now I feel like a total newbie and about to get my ass handed to me. I grid up on the outside of like row 2. The green flag drops and I am off. One thing that I can at least do right is get a good start. I was like second going into the dirt section but stalled the bike as I went into the dirt when I was sliding the rear around to get the corner squarded up. Fuck again. Well after a minute I get the bike started and I am off. I got all 8 laps in and finished 7th. So my first laps are the heat race and I felt halfway decent in the dirt but still super slow.

Pitbike Race
Next was the pitbike race I opted to skip it as I had no energy. Robbie ran it on his well moddified 50 and it ended up being the best race of the night. He made it all the way to second place and was right behind the guy in first for like 4 laps. Well the last lap Robbie made the pass and the next corner the other guys crashed trying to repass. Robbie won a $54 purse The was the good excitement for the night.

Main
Well next I was up in my main. There were no young kids but the field was made up of alot of regulars and a couple of dirt trackers that came form the mile earlier in the day. I was gridded towrds the back in this one. Well I get my bike started and was waiting to get on the track when one of the guys is having a problem with his bike. I leave my bike idleing as I don't want to shut it off and not get it reastarted as I was wiped out already. Well we get out there and do our warm up lap and I get in my grid position. I look down and see a little smoke. I see a couple of drops of something on the ground and I think to myself what the hell is wrong. Well I pass it off as the bike getting to hot and shit coming out of my over flow. Wrong move Well the flag drops and I am banging bars with a couple of people but keep it up. I get about halfway through the race and I am doing so so no one passed me on the pavemnet but alot of guys passed me in the dirt.one thing was wrong though the bike is moving around, all over the place. Well like 4 laps in a row I almost highside myself in the slick right hander and the next lap my luck ran out. The rear broke loose and spun me around. It was a highside that never kicked me off but spun the back end all the way around. I hurry up and pick up the bike and go to restart it and I noticed my kick started was covered in oil. The I get off the bike and look at it and the whole swing arm is covered in oil. The tire was covered in oil and my whole back half of the bike was covered and dripping wet from oil. So I pushed my bike all the way back to the pits.

Moral
I haven't had a chance to clean it up as I will be doing that tonight but I think the oil is coming from the kickstarter seal/O-ring. The bike runs fine but I have to find the problem. I had a DNF in my first race and can only go up from here. I was pretty dissapointed in my results as this was the worse day ever in my racing career (not including hospital rides). So I loaded up and headed out at 11pm for my 3.5 hour ride home. Half way through my ride I got a blow out in my van so I pull over to change it and I find out the spare is the biggest POS tire int he world and I am praying it holds up for my ride home. Also there is no 4 way to get the lugs off and all I have is metric but I do end up getting it off with some creative thinking and cruise home at 55mph. Got home at 4am and did not even unload the van. Well I can only go up from here so fuck it.

vcook edited this because he was going blind trying to read it.

Last edited by Vcook; 05-30-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
if you weeped oil from the kickstart seal I'd double check how much oil you put in at the last change. could be too much crankcase pressure. do you have a breather on it?

Chris
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 03:04 PM
G2G

I did change the oil before I went to the race. I realized there was too much in there after the heat race so I drained some out. The breather shouldn't be kinked but after the first crash who knows. Like I sai I am ging to clean it all up tonight as there is no way to tell where it is coming from right now since it is a huge mess. Once it is clean I will take it for a short spin and recheck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 03:05 PM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

Hang in there Steve. It WILL get better. You might wanna hold off on the lottery ticks though.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2Go
The breather shouldn't be kinked but after the first crash who knows.
yeah, if your oil input is right then I'd check the breather tube first. like did you you zip tie it into a catch can? make sure they arent too tight!

Chris
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 03:10 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Im crossed eyed after reading that.

Good effort...BLNT.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 03:16 PM
G2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz
Im crossed eyed after reading that.

Good effort...BLNT.
I fixed it a little Sorry. Long winded
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 03:16 PM

Sportbike: 13 rmz 450 2012 Street Glide
Years Riding: Long time
How you found us: Baldor

When are we going dirt biking ill show you how to do the woops
lean back toes on the pegs most of the time 3rd gear keep steady throttle
youll be fine

John
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 03:17 PM
G2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook
yeah, if your oil input is right then I'd check the breather tube first. like did you you zip tie it into a catch can? make sure they arent too tight!

No there are no zip ties on the tubes but I will double check everything. Thanks homie
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
No there are no zip ties on the tubes but I will double check everything. Thanks homie
make sure it didnt kink right where it comes out. I'm still betting on crankcase pressure!

Chris
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 03:19 PM
G2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaz
When are we going dirt biking ill show you how to do the woops
lean back toes on the pegs most of the time 3rd gear keep steady throttle
youll be fine

John

I need to borrow a dirt bike then I can practice.

He Beaz can you call the Joliet track or shoot me the # I would like to ride my motard on there dirt oval track to practice sliding around a bit. See if I can get on there like 5:30 pm after work on the weekdays.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 03:19 PM
G2G

Quote:
make sure it didnt kink right where it comes out. I'm still betting on crankcase pressure!

Alright alright I will check it already

Last edited by G2G; 05-30-2006 at 03:30 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Alright alright I check it already
yeah, its either that or the rider is a retard. both are equally likely.

Chris
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 08:21 PM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

I guess the cart club will let us practice anytime we want down there for 25 bucks. They will let us run the dirt section as well. Good write up Steve! Saddle Time Saddle Time Saddle Time man! I have to do a few things to the CR125 and I'll be ready to go run out there. I have a beat up set of Flat Track Tires that I can destroy, so I'll go out there and play a little.

I'm thinking maybe the weekend after Elkhart we can try and set something up or we can set up something in a parking lot around here.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 08:56 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Quote:
yeah, its either that or the rider is a retard. both are equally likely.

+1

Sorry you're not very good Steve. When I have some time, I'll show you how to ride that pile. Have your people call my people and we'll set something up.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 09:02 PM
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

I wouldn't worry about how you did today, it was your first time out. I'm sure you learned a lot, plus the heat probably took too much out of you physically and mentally. We all know you don't have much to give in those 2 areas. J.K.

Mike

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 09:49 AM
G2G

Well instead of post whoring I will consolidate my responses to both Patrick and Mike..........................
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 10:35 PM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
good write up,
keep me posted on where you guys are going to go play .

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 08:40 AM
G2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohfugit
good write up,
keep me posted on where you guys are going to go play .

July 4th at Shawano. $25 to ride all day. Two wheel tuesday!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Great write up, Steve! Excellent detail.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode