Tech inspection - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 08 R6 , CRF250R
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: chicagorussionriders

Tech inspection

Hi ,
I'm reading that bikes are going through the inspection before allowed on the track.
What are the major points techs are looking for ? Are the specific requirements for component wear or alignment (brakes , forks , chain , tires etc...) ? For ex. my clip on is bent so that it touches the gas tank slightly before the steering stop point. Is that a problem ? I'm not fixing it as it does not really bother me on the street.
Also , what about bodywork ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:54 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
i don't think you will have a problem with the clipon touching at steering lock. but make sure your bike is in proper working order

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 03:04 PM
I break everything!

Sportbike: SV650S, ZX6R, GSXR600
Years Riding: Since 04/2003
How you found us: Google

Brakes must be in good order. They will look down your calipers just to be sure there is some material left. Tires are OK as long as there is good tread and they are not torn up bad. Tires and brake pads are generally available at the track, but ask Matt Drucker at MD Racing to be sure (he is the tire and parts guy). Chain needs to have the right amount of slack in it. They will ask you to adjust it if it is way off. Forks cannot leak oil at all. The risk of oil getting into the brake pads is too high. Bike should not have leaks anywhere.

The clip-on is no problem but for the sake of your thumbs, at least try to get a big pipe and put it over the tube and bend it back.

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 08 R6 , CRF250R
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: chicagorussionriders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGu
Brakes must be in good order. They will look down your calipers just to be sure there is some material left. Tires are OK as long as there is good tread and they are not torn up bad. Tires and brake pads are generally available at the track, but ask Matt Drucker at MD Racing to be sure (he is the tire and parts guy). Chain needs to have the right amount of slack in it. They will ask you to adjust it if it is way off. Forks cannot leak oil at all. The risk of oil getting into the brake pads is too high. Bike should not have leaks anywhere.

The clip-on is no problem but for the sake of your thumbs, at least try to get a big pipe and put it over the tube and bend it back.
Thanks. I have not thought of the pipe solution

My brakes are alright for the street use. But I'm not at all sure how they'll do if coming from 150mph to 60. The lever does feel soft even though I changed the fluid recently.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Requirements vary based on the racing organization or organization running the track day. Check their individual websites/rulebooks for details.

At the very least, you're gonna wanna be fluid-tight with more than 50% of your brake pads/tires (that's just common sense).

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Older Slow Guy (OSG)

Sportbike: GSX-R 600 & 750 No. 270
Years Riding: never long enough
How you found us: MRr. Wink

Also, it would not hurt to bleed your brakes, if it has been more than a couple months, and use good stuff like Motul 600. Cheap insurance!!

I would also suggest making sure your bike is exceptionally clean and while cleaning check for loose hardware, leaks etc. Service your chain and sprockets. Whether required or not, it's a good idea to lockwire your oil drain and oil cap. These small things help the tech guys see that you are prepared.

You will breeze through.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode