Confirmed: Kurtis Roberts To World Superbike - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Confirmed: Kurtis Roberts To World Superbike

ROAD RACING - Kurtis Roberts To World Superbike
By Henny Ray Abrams
From MotoGP to AMA to WSB 7/30/2006

Kurtis Roberts goes back to work this weekend aboard the Team Pedercini Ducati in the Brands Hatch round of the World Superbike Championship.

Roberts, whose career has been stalled for the better part of two years, takes the place of the recently released Max Neukirchner on the Italy-based teams Ducati 999RS. The German rider has only nine points this year and a number of crashes. He missed the most recent round of the championship, in Brno, because of injury.

The opportunity to ride for Team Pedercini was first discussed after Roberts visited the Misano round of the World Superbike Championship in late June. Originally, he said he was going to ride the bike of team owner Lucio Pedercini. Then the Neukirchner seat became available.

He added that there was a possibility he might have ridden for the team in the WSB round in Brno, the same weekend as the Red Bull U.S. GP, but that the team had hired Czech Pawel Szkopek as a one race replacement.

I knew about the thing before Laguna, Roberts said in a phone call from Modesto on Sunday evening. They were talking about doing Czecho, which was same weekend as Laguna, so I didnt know if I was going to Laguna or not. Then we kind of got it ironed out. Most likely well be on the thing the rest of the year. Its just as long as were all happy with the situation at Brands Hatch and everything else.

Five races remain in the World Superbike Championship with Roberts unfamiliar with most of the tracks, starting this coming weekend at Brands Hatch. Not only has he never ridden at the track southwest of London, hes never ridden a Ducati either, but hes confident he can adapt.

I know Ben [Bostrom] used Brands Hatch in reference to Barber [Motorsports Park] a few times, he said. So if Ben relates the place to Barber, I dont think its going to take me a long time to get used to used to it. It might take up until the race, but thats normally how I work anyway.

With Roberts leaving Tuesday for the race, theres no time to test.

As far as the level of factory support, Roberts wasnt certain.

Its a 999, he said, but it isnt an F06 or even and F05. I know Ducati is pretty excited Im going to be on the thing. I think its going to hopefully bring some technical assistance. Ducati and I, weve always had a good relationship. Its one of the couple of brands Ive wanted to ride for. I think the thing should be okay.

And if its not, what can you expect so much for Brands Hatch? Not too much. Its not so much a Brands Hatch thing, its more getting things lined up for the future.

And by the future, Roberts means from this point until I die, which hopefully is a long time. The last few rides Ive taken have not helped me whatsoever and if this thing looks anything like the last two have, Im not going to be there very long.

Roberts had a short stint with the Team M4 EMGO Suzuki team earlier this year, filling in for the injured Michael Barnes. In 2005, he had a less than successful return to the Erion Honda team for which hed won two titles in 2000.

If they let me pick and choose what I want and they work with me and they understand what Im saying, itll be a good situation.

The Suzuki stint gave him a hint of what to expect from the Pirelli control tires of World Superbike.

Im not really worried about the Pirelli thing, he said. Its not even a concern of mine, because everyone else is on them and I already know how they react and stuff. I dont know 110 percent of the tire, but I believe I know enough that thats not going to be a big issue.

The remaining races following Brands Hatch are the reconfigured Assen; the Lausitzring, in Germany; Imola, Italy; and the season finale at Magny-Cours in France. Roberts said he might take in the Brno round of the MotoGP World Championship during the break between Brands Hatch and Assen.

And if you think youve seen Roberts in the news lately, youre not alone. His resemblance to Floyd Landis, the embattled Tour de France winner, is uncanny. Though Landis is only now becoming a household name, hes been known to Roberts for some time.

You know whos always said that is Ryan Hughes, because he rides [bicycles] with him all the time, Roberts said.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 02:31 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Jeez...that guy needs to pick a venue and hold it for at least one season...good to see an American back in the mix nonetheless

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Hell ya good to see another one of ours over there. and on a Duc no less

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 04:34 PM
Grid Marshall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
Hell ya good to see another one of ours over there. and on a Duc no less
Hopefully it's a little better developed than the pig they put Bostrom on last year (a 1000RR)

Tom

Quote:
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
You got the talkin' done

Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerkMX
Hopefully it's a little better developed than the pig they put Bostrom on last year (a 1000RR)
Part of the problem was they were building that bike in the truck on the way to the races.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 04:45 PM
Grid Marshall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock
Part of the problem was they were building that bike in the truck on the way to the races.
Hence the "development" comment

Tom

Quote:
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
You got the talkin' done

The - just meant that's not a good idea.

I wasn't making a comment about your comment

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 04:56 PM
Grid Marshall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock
The - just meant that's not a good idea.

I wasn't making a comment about your comment
No worries...they basically through BBoz out there with a stock machine

Tom

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode