Post Putnam Park - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
NickIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Westminster, Colorado
Posts: 3,260
Location: Westminster, Colorado
Sportbike: FJR1300
Years Riding: greater than a decade.
How you found us: google
           
Send a message via AIM to NickIF
Post Putnam Park

All I can say is WOW. That's the most fun I've ever had at a trackday. This was my 2nd time there and my previous best was a 1:24. The whole day I spent taking turn 1 faster which would give me more speed to flow through 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. By the end of the day I was consistently knocking out 1:19's and a new personal best of 1:18:47 which was my 3rd to last lap of the day. I can't wait to go back again. Right after I ran the 1:18 I think I had a 1:17 in me but didn't get a good enough drive out of the final corner. See you guys at autobahn this weekend
NickIF is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Registered User
 
Slowass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 2,872
Location: Rockford, IL
Sportbike: 2006 R6 Raven
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: ChicagoIlivewithmymomriders.com
           
Excellent!

That's a lot of people's favorite track...every time I wanna do it I've got some stupid baby shower or something.

_____________________________________________
The CLSB Bitch Wrecking Crew

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
Slowass is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:28 PM
G2G
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Nick you where rollin. Carlos and Matt where also movin pretty good. I am headed to WI in a couple of hours to drop off the KTM to find out what the probolem is. I was nice to to ride with you. I see a new bike in my future. Maybe a new R1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:34 PM
yo quiero su taco
 
whiteSeatEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Woodridge
Posts: 12,745
Location: Woodridge
Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickIF
All I can say is WOW. That's the most fun I've ever had at a trackday. This was my 2nd time there and my previous best was a 1:24. The whole day I spent taking turn 1 faster which would give me more speed to flow through 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. By the end of the day I was consistently knocking out 1:19's and a new personal best of 1:18:47 which was my 3rd to last lap of the day. I can't wait to go back again. Right after I ran the 1:18 I think I had a 1:17 in me but didn't get a good enough drive out of the final corner. See you guys at autobahn this weekend
Man, that sounds like a good time

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
whiteSeatEnvy is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Failed rehab
 
Rob, Esq.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 14,908
Location: Indy
Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML
           
Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
It was fun coupla sessions. I didn't like the group structure, though. I signed up in Intermediate II and way too many of the riders would've been rolling chicanes in NESBA B. I got black flagged for "passing too many people"
I brought the KTM and the 999, and both broke on me before lunch
Somewhere at the track I managed to pick up a tack in the front tire of the KTM. The 999 had some electrical glitch.

Regardless of the gremlins, it was still fun to get a few sessions in. Finally got to meet Good2Go in person, who is a font of motard knowledge.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
Rob, Esq. is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Slow Old Guy.
 
Wink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SS Barrington
Posts: 17,258
Location: SS Barrington
Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me
           
We'll (NESBA) be there Sept 9-10, and I agree with everyone, it is one of my favorite tracks!

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
Wink is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:54 PM
G2G
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5367
It was fun coupla sessions. I didn't like the group structure, though. I signed up in Intermediate II and way too many of the riders would've been rolling chicanes in NESBA B. I got black flagged for "passing too many people"
I brought the KTM and the 999, and both broke on me before lunch
Somewhere at the track I managed to pick up a tack in the front tire of the KTM. The 999 had some electrical glitch.

Regardless of the gremlins, it was still fun to get a few sessions in. Finally got to meet Good2Go in person, who is a font of motard knowledge.

Hey Rob I talked to my KTM mechanic and he has no idea whats up. So I am driving up to Waukasha WI in a coule of hours to drop off the bike. It was good to meet you. We will hook up again a a trackday probably New Castle.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Failed rehab
 
Rob, Esq.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 14,908
Location: Indy
Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML
           
Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2Go
Hey Rob I talked to my KTM mechanic and he has no idea whats up. So I am driving up to Waukasha WI in a coule of hours to drop off the bike. It was good to meet you. We will hook up again a a trackday probably New Castle.
Hopefully its nothing major. I'm definitely down for a New Castle day. The shop that did my tire fixed it this morning, in and out in less than a half hour. The parts manager/Metzeler rep is a really cool guy and handled it himself, only charged me for a new inner tube
I think I fixed the clutch slippage too. next time out, I'd like you to take the 525 out and see what ya think.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
Rob, Esq. is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Registered User
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PF
Posts: 12,490
Location: PF
Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5367
Hopefully its nothing major. I'm definitely down for a New Castle day. The shop that did my tire fixed it this morning, in and out in less than a half hour. The parts manager/Metzeler rep is a really cool guy and handled it himself, only charged me for a new inner tube
I think I fixed the clutch slippage too. next time out, I'd like you to take the 525 out and see what ya think.
Just drop it off whenever you get a chance Rob. I'll make sure it works like it should

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Grasshopper is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Failed rehab
 
Rob, Esq.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 14,908
Location: Indy
Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML
           
Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Just drop it off whenever you get a chance Rob. I'll make sure it works like it should
Dude, you know damn well you're welcome to take it out. You coming to Autobahn this weekend?

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
Rob, Esq. is offline  
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Registered User
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PF
Posts: 12,490
Location: PF
Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5367
Dude, you know damn well you're welcome to take it out. You coming to Autobahn this weekend?
Nope, I'm doing a Hare Scramble this weekend. Narrow single track dirt trails, with trees buzzing past the end of my handle bars at 60mph, dirt and mudd in my eyes, ears, and mouth, dropping my bike ten times, getting whipped in the face with tree branches, crashing again, spinning the tire on a muddy rocky slope unable to get enough traction to make it up a hill, flooding the bike while it's laying on its side and gas is pooring out, kicking it ten times, fouling a plug, burning my fingers trying to change the plug, racking my nuts from misjudging a woop or jump, water in the airbox from crossing the creek, and monkey butt. YUP! Thats what I'm doing this weekend.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Grasshopper is offline  
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Failed rehab
 
Rob, Esq.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 14,908
Location: Indy
Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML
           
Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Nope, I'm doing a Hare Scramble this weekend. Narrow single track dirt trails, with trees buzzing past the end of my handle bars at 60mph, dirt and mudd in my eyes, ears, and mouth, dropping my bike ten times, getting whipped in the face with tree branches, crashing again, spinning the tire on a muddy rocky slope unable to get enough traction to make it up a hill, flooding the bike while it's laying on its side and gas is pooring out, kicking it ten times, fouling a plug, burning my fingers trying to change the plug, racking my nuts from misjudging a woop or jump, water in the airbox from crossing the creek, and monkey butt. YUP! Thats what I'm doing this weekend.
That sounds like an awesome weekend! I need a dirtbike!

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
Rob, Esq. is offline  
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Registered User
 
Slowass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 2,872
Location: Rockford, IL
Sportbike: 2006 R6 Raven
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: ChicagoIlivewithmymomriders.com
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5367
I didn't like the group structure, though. I signed up in Intermediate II and way too many of the riders would've been rolling chicanes in NESBA B. I got black flagged for "passing too many people"
HUH?

Explain more about how they structure the groups. Sounds retarded.

_____________________________________________
The CLSB Bitch Wrecking Crew

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
Slowass is offline  
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Failed rehab
 
Rob, Esq.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 14,908
Location: Indy
Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML
           
Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowass
HUH?

Explain more about how they structure the groups. Sounds retarded.
They had intermediate 1, intermediate 2, and advanced. they let people sign up for whichever they want, and there weren't any control riders. So, there were people with egos that exceeded their skill level. They didn't seem anxious to demote anyone either.
I could be mistaken, because within whatever group I'm riding, the guys that are faster are sandbagging, and the one who are slower belong in the lower group

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
Rob, Esq. is offline  
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Registered User
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PF
Posts: 12,490
Location: PF
Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowass
HUH?

Explain more about how they structure the groups. Sounds retarded.
I agree, explain more.

Oh and Rob, for the price of that 999. You could by 5 dirtbikes.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Grasshopper is offline  
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Registered User
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PF
Posts: 12,490
Location: PF
Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5367
They had intermediate 1, intermediate 2, and advanced. they let people sign up for whichever they want, and there weren't any control riders. So, there were people with egos that exceeded their skill level. They didn't seem anxious to demote anyone either.
I could be mistaken, because within whatever group I'm riding, the guys that are faster are sandbagging, and the one who are slower belong in the lower group
So let me get this straight. They have 2 intermediate groups so that they don't have to call a group Novice or Beginner?

Fuck it though, its track time.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Grasshopper is offline  
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Failed rehab
 
Rob, Esq.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 14,908
Location: Indy
Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML
           
Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
I agree, explain more.

Oh and Rob, for the price of that 999. You could by 5 dirtbikes.
I've put out some feelers to sell it. Don't really want to, but I can't afford to insure the fugger anymore.

5 dirtbikes, but how many SV's?????

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.

Last edited by Rob, Esq.; 08-07-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Rob, Esq. is offline  
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Registered User
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PF
Posts: 12,490
Location: PF
Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5367
I've put out some feelers to sell it. Don't really want to, but I can't afford to insure the fugger anymore.
What will happen to your garage if you get a jap bike? Will it explode?

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Grasshopper is offline  
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Registered User
 
Slowass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 2,872
Location: Rockford, IL
Sportbike: 2006 R6 Raven
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: ChicagoIlivewithmymomriders.com
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5367
They had intermediate 1, intermediate 2, and advanced. they let people sign up for whichever they want, and there weren't any control riders. So, there were people with egos that exceeded their skill level. They didn't seem anxious to demote anyone either.
I could be mistaken, because within whatever group I'm riding, the guys that are faster are sandbagging, and the one who are slower belong in the lower group
Yeah, Slowass will not be signing up for one of their track days anytime soon...or later. How did you not get TOTALLY FRUSTRATED?

_____________________________________________
The CLSB Bitch Wrecking Crew

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
Slowass is offline  
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Failed rehab
 
Rob, Esq.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 14,908
Location: Indy
Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML
           
Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowass
Yeah, Slowass will not be signing up for one of their track days anytime soon...or later. How did you not get TOTALLY FRUSTRATED?
It was actually kinda fun to just pass them. made me feel like I was fast or something! there nothing like passing an R1/GSXR 1k on a 525 single cylinder on the ouside

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
Rob, Esq. is offline  
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Failed rehab
 
Rob, Esq.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 14,908
Location: Indy
Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML
           
Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
What will happen to your garage if you get a jap bike? Will it explode?
I hope not! I'm looking into moving in that direction in the near future once I sell the 999. I'm just partial to Twins. The japanese offering in that category are slim, though. There's the SV and the RCfatty1.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
Rob, Esq. is offline  
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Registered User
 
Slowass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 2,872
Location: Rockford, IL
Sportbike: 2006 R6 Raven
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: ChicagoIlivewithmymomriders.com
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5367
I hope not! I'm looking into moving in that direction in the near future once I sell the 999. I'm just partial to Twins. The japanese offering in that category are slim, though. There's the SV and the RCfatty1.
Cuz twins got BALLZ!

_____________________________________________
The CLSB Bitch Wrecking Crew

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
Slowass is offline  
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Failed rehab
 
Rob, Esq.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 14,908
Location: Indy
Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML
           
Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowass
Cuz twins got BALLZ!


BALLZ!!!

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
Rob, Esq. is offline  
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Registered User
 
Slowass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 2,872
Location: Rockford, IL
Sportbike: 2006 R6 Raven
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: ChicagoIlivewithmymomriders.com
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5367


BALLZ!!!
DRAG 'EM BALLZ ON THE PAVEMENT!!!

_____________________________________________
The CLSB Bitch Wrecking Crew

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
Slowass is offline  
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
NickIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Westminster, Colorado
Posts: 3,260
Location: Westminster, Colorado
Sportbike: FJR1300
Years Riding: greater than a decade.
How you found us: google
           
Send a message via AIM to NickIF
I too don't know why the don't call beginner, BEGINNER. lol... I enjoyed the day in advanced though. There were 4 or 5 guys that had to be running consistent 1:18's because I couldn't catch them. There were a few slower people but no actual hazards. A few lowslides caused some red flags. The ego was definitely there but I find that with any organization. Track time is track time to me
NickIF is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome