Ka-POW! Mladin: Ducati's Problem Is Not Their Bikes - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Ka-POW! Mladin: Ducati's Problem Is Not Their Bikes

'I believe if Troy Bayliss was here the results would be different.'

by dean adams
Tuesday, August 22, 2006

About a week ago, when it seemed pretty clear that Ducati was going to pull out of US Superbike for the 2007 season and beyond, I asked six-time US Superbike champion Mat Mladin a few questions about the situation. Mladin, as many recall, is a former Ducati factory rider (he rode for Fast by Ferracci in 1997) and has won races on both the Ducati and the Suzuki.

As the reigning Superbike champion, what are your feelings on Ducati's statements that they need WSBK-level equipment here in AMA in order to win?

Give them WSB equipment. I don't believe a crank and gearbox would make a lot of difference. After the traction control rule was introduced in AMA a few weeks ago the results have been the same.

You've read Hodgson's statements about his not winning in AMA because of the technical rules. Do you feel that's accurate, that Ducati riders here are being hindered simply by the rules?

I believe if Troy Bayliss was here the results would be different.

Ducati is said to be pulling out of US Superbike. Your general reaction is?

They had a rules advantage for years. It is the reason they won so many WSB titles. What about the races Eric won here last year? Does that mean the bike is only good at certain tracks and not others? Doubt it. I think Ducati are looking in the wrong place for results.

ENDS

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
You got the talkin' done

Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!

Niel's comments as referanced in the above post:

Hodgson in Superbike comeback
By Neil Johnson
NEIL Hodgson is on the verge of a dramatic return to the World Superbike Championship in 2007.

Hodgson, who races in the American series for Ducati, is wanted by his Italian employers to lead a second factory team.

And the Burnley rider, who has endured a barren two years in the US, is desperate to re-join the winners circle.

"It would be a dream to be back in the factory team," said the former British and WSB champion.

"I'm sick of battling for fourth places because of the technical rules. I race to win and get enjoyment for winning, and I haven't had that for two years.

"The prospect of doing the same thing next year doesn't appeal to me one bit, even if they paid me £20 million."

Hodgson is one of the riders currently being considered for Ducati's expected four-man, factory-backed attack on the World Superbike Championship next year.

The team already field two 999 machines in the series, and would use a 'satellite' team to run the extra pair, helped by Ducati technicians.

But Hodgson's special status with the team - he won both titles with Ducati - will put him in pole position for a seat.

"We will definitely run a factory team in WSB next year and we would like to have another team running the same specification bikes," said Ducati boss Paolo Ciabetti.

"We have been approached by several Ducati teams who have the budget and as a result, we hope to be able to offer Neil Hodgson something exciting soon."

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
Mladin is a tool box. I can't stand the guy. Wasn't he complaining a couple of years ago about the rules when he couldn't win.

Since he isn't winning the series now he's throwing mama jokes at Spies.

He is the biggest cry baby in the paddock

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Everyone makes excuses when they're not successful, Mladin is probably the last guy you would want commenting on success...or rather, lack thereof

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
You got the talkin' done

Eric Bostrom Rebuttal

Eric Bostrom: Ducati Is Right
by dean adams
Tuesday, August 22, 2006
Last week I spoke with Eric Bostrom about Ducati's (then) much-rumored pull-out of US Superbike racing. Here are his comments. Bostrom rode for Ducati in 2003 and 2004.

Q. It's all but official that Ducati's Paolo Ciabatti is coming to VIR to tell the Ducati team and riders that they are pulling out of racing at the end of the season because the bikes simply are not competitive. Your thoughts.

A. They're right. Ducati is right. Sure, Troy Bayliss is doing it for them in WSBK but he's like the lone competitive guy on a Ducati Superbike in the world. The rules made racing a twin fair for years but now the rules are not fair.

Q. What exactly is the problem?

A. You've seen it. You've written about it. The bike is tied to a pole at the middle of the corner. There's no acceleration. Using the old system (750 fours versus 1000 twins) there was power off the corner. Now ... Twins steer badly and have no power.

Q. How do you explain the fact that you won three races on a Ducati last year and set what will be seen as the last "real" Superbike pole at Daytona on a Ducati? Neil even won a race last year.

A. Well, we caught them with their pants down, really. At PPIR ... you know. Laguna Seca, Mat was sort of off his game and at Mid-Ohio, Yates helped us tremendously.

Q. Clearly you favor one set of rules for the world, then?

A. Absolutely. To think otherwise is crazy. It's too expensive for the Japanese and Italians to be making different bikes for different series. It's nonsense. Organizations should work together, make one set of rules and make the racing better.

Q. Any closing thoughts?

A. I'm sorry to see them go if that's what is going to happen. I think, you know, Ducati being who they are and such a little company in comparison, man even the Japanese teams can cheer when Ducati wins. Fans love cheering for Ducati. It's too bad.

ENDS

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Its a real simple solution for Ducati. If they cant keep up with a twin, build a I4. Only real diff between a WSBK Duc and AMA SBK Duc is the crank and gearbox.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 08:41 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Mladin is a dildo.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r
Mladin is a dildo.
but he wins races, lots of them.

Chris
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 08:57 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Just like dildos screw chicks, lots of em.

If he talked a lot less about other riders, everyone would love him.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode