How to become a Track Junkie... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Still Premium.

Sportbike: 02 SV650s
Years Riding: not long enough.
How you found us: someone told me

How to become a Track Junkie...

So, I've been going way too fast on the street, and I've begun to become afraid that I will hurt myself... I made a promise about 12,000 miles ago when I first got my bike that when I got to 10,000 I would take my bike to the track. Well, it's overdue, and now I've become way too comfortable at 90 mph on the highway...

How do I get myself to the track the cheapest way possible!? I want to ride as hard and fast as I want, and I know that the street is NOT the place for that mentality AT ALL! But, I'm a poor schoolboy, only working part-time, so every corner that I can cut to get myself to the track, I will take!

Any suggestions?

What will I need, bare MINIMUM to get to the track in terms of gear, equipment, and bike setup? What about access to a truck and trailer (are there usually enough people going that I would probably be able to bum a ride from someone?) What about track fees?

Thanks!
-Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:55 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Sign up for free test ride at Nesba. It's only like 2 sessions, but at least you'll get a feel for it, and it'll get ya hooked enough where you'll due whatever it takes to find the money
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:42 PM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

Shop around and get good gear cheap! Don't skimp on gear. You need a helmet, leather jacket, leather pants (preferrably a 1 or 2 piece suit) gloves, and boots. Then a bike, but it seems that you already have that.

My last quick check when I leave for a trackday is, helmet, gloves, pants, jacket, boots, bike, ignition key. Everything else is extra. If I show up at the track with those items, I can ride.

Retailers that have been good to me:
newenough.com they have ebay auctions and clearance items.
sumofallparts.net

Be careful when purchasing on line. Read the fine print. Some places don't allow exchanges. Some charge restocking fees, and sometimes they are 25%regardless of the reason.

Check the nesba classifieds, and CLSB classifieds. There may be some used gear to help you get by on a budget.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 08:21 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Read up here:

http://www.nesba.com/info/intro.aspx

http://www.nesba.com/Info/FAQ.aspx

As far as minimum gear; the links above cover the REQUIRED gear, but to me it's however much you would want on your body if you end up sliding across the track on your ass.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 08:45 PM

I did actually have my first low side a few weeks ago. Buy good gear! My jacket is double stiched and glued at the seams. I have the Alpinestars track pants and love them! But the best part is the CE approved armour in my jacket. I'm sure I'd have a broken forearm or two. I hit pretty hard, and lightly bruised my forearms.

If your going to stick with track days, plan on a good spine protector as well. Someone asked me if they really needed one. My reply, "Do you want to take the chance that your laying in the hospital partially paralized, wondering why you didn't spend the $100-$200."

It's cheaper than a set of tires and could be a lesson you remember the rest of your life.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Lovin this Twin

Sportbike: 05 SV1000S, Wide Glide, DR350
Years Riding: 1/2 hour then it rained
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooligan
There is no cheap way to get onto the track....its not a cheap hobby.

I dont think this is a sport Id reccomend cutting corners on either.

Im not trying to talk you out of it, Do some homework on whats involved.

Your ass is on the line and your bike, neither of which is a cheap loss.

Do the intro with NESBA, its free and you need minimal gear and minimal prep to your bike.
After that make your decision .
Good luck!

This is gonna hurt!
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 09:14 PM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Get a dirtbike, it's cheaper, and just as much fun as track days if not more.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:11 PM

Sportbike: none...all gone
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: ken

Talking you must pay to play

I've done this stuff for a couple years with my son and it ain't cheap.
If you want to be safe, leave the attitude at home and do an intro day with Nesba.

CCS race official
sold the track bike
too slow to ride

"Repairs end December 31. 2011."

OK, it was a tough day.....back open again!!!
Bring me your broken down machines.

Butch @ 630-777-0273

Ytrap #819, forever in my prayers.
Arch, this Bud is for you..
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Like the others have said, intro day at nesba. Bring your checkbook, as you will want to finish the day. Its an absolute blast. One major problem you will experience though is the street will be ruined for you as its absolutely boring after that.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:26 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

I didnt detect any attitude

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Please pass the trackpipe

Sportbike: That one^^
Years Riding: ..
How you found us: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelpilot
I didnt detect any attitude
He wasn't necessarily commenting about Apollo's attitude. I think Butch meant he should come to the track with an open mind and a desire to learn.

Occassionally, we get a rider that comes out thinking they need to prove themselves. They'll ignore the rules and/or ride way over their head. They get their ass chewed for doing stupid shit and then think NESBA is a bunch of hard-asses for making safety a priority.

Chris
NESBA CR #51
'06 GSXR 600 / '05 CRF250X / '04 CRF 230 / '05 CRF 88
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 12:57 AM
El Burrito Volador

Sportbike: 05 GSXR600 / 04 GSXR600
Years Riding: I'm a rookie.
How you found us: NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo1777
But, I'm a poor schoolboy, only working part-time, so every corner that I can cut to get myself to the track, I will take!
Apollo, I'm in the same boat...I have been yearning to get to the track but cant make ends meet as a student. i basically cant afford the gear. dropping 1k for gear isnt exactly easy. i'm going to try to get putnam with my bike this weekend for the intro session on sunday, but if i cant afford the transport for my bike, i'm going to at least drive myself out there to get a taste for the track, even if it is from the "sidelines". i must admit that i've never been to the track, but i can tell you i'm already addicted. i eat, sleep, dream, and obsess about trackdays. good news is that i graduate in feb. and i expect to start making real cash after that. when that happens...i will spare no expense as long as i get my "fix".

<<<< future junkie

Erik
05 GSXR600
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchf
I've done this stuff for a couple years with my son and it ain't cheap.
If you want to be safe, leave the attitude at home and do an intro day with Nesba.

What????? Hold the [email protected]@##$$% Everyone and his monkey has been spreading the gospel of cheap track days How dare you try shatter the myth of cheap track days

...Props to Butch for telling it like it is

While track days are fun....they are hardly cheap and the worse thing...they are addictive....I think main lining heroin is cheaper and less addictive. But, with that all said....everyone should do at least a couple, just remember, what you learn there, rarely gets applied to the street, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

And remember, no matter what you read, here or other forums...you don't need tire warmers, pop up tent, race tires, race plastics, generators, enclosed trailers or $1000 paint jobs to do a track day.

Have fun, be safe....remember it's not a race...it's a track day

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 07:30 AM
Semper Fidellis

Sportbike: NADA
Years Riding: Since 1984
How you found us: Google

Send a message via Yahoo to Devil Dog
The track is like crack, and after your first taste you'll always want more. Sure it isn't cheap, and not everyone here has the latest and greatest (except Wink ). Believe it or not we all have "Other" responsibilities that come first as well.

If you look around on the "Wanted and for sale section" here on the board, you will most likely find gear that is suitable for a season for much less than retail. If you can't find anything, ask around someone will hook you up for a day or two.

Try the intro day and like Tony said "Bring your checkbook, as you will want to finish the day." You will never want to leave. NESBA has a great program with some outstanding people, and the greatest makeup of members - it's like a huge family.

Come play for a day, but be prepared to have your ego shattered. You will find out just how slow you really are, unless you are one of the very few exceptions.

I would start asking for gear for X-mas birthdays ect, and start saving money now. You will see that once the gear and such is paid for, the cost will mainly be what tracks and how many days (aside from the normal expenses: Transportation, Tires, Fuel, Brake Pads ect.)

Hope this helps, and I hope to see you on the track next year.

Craig

My VB Garage

"God loves Marines, because we kill everything we see." - R. Lee Ermey, Full Metal Jacket
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
One major problem you will experience though is the street will be ruined for you as its absolutely boring after that.
Sorry Tony, calling on that.....street riding....is not boring....it's terrifying especially in Chicagolalalaland Jay post link up for vid of us on Beartooth Pass, Lolo Pass, Rattlesnake Road...etc.....Street riding IS motorcycling, period. Track days are a very small part of motorcycling. Do one over the other exclusively, is curtailing the experience of what is motorcycling. Street riding has it's own mindset, accept that and you'll have a blast and have memories like this.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topoftheworld.jpg (69.1 KB, 1 views)

post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 07:51 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I think Tony means street riding around here. Most of us don't get outside of the area as often as we'd like.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 08:04 AM

Sportbike: FJR1300
Years Riding: greater than a decade.
How you found us: google

Send a message via AIM to NickIF
sell your soul to satan
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 08:46 AM
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

Hey Apollo,

The key word to doing track days on a budget is "USED". Go shopping and find out what size leather suit, gloves, boots, etc... you need in several brands (A*, Joe Rocket, Technic, etc.). Look through the forums on line and pick up used gear over the winter (CCS forum, WERA forum, NESBA forum, CLSB forum, Ebay, etc.)

Pick up a USED one piece race suit and don't buy it in perfect shape, the more cosmetic blemishes the better cause it will be cheaper (winthin reason, here). Then send them to Alexa at Spyderworks and have them cleaned and repaired. End result will be a great pair of leathers at an inexpensive price.

Tires are your other big expense. Run takeoffs. You need to be able to look at a set of tires and know if they are roasted or if they have some life left. Ask me, or someone else who lives at the track, the key things to look for in a set of takeoffs that will tell you if they are good or not.

The other big money saver is patience and humility. Both are free and both will save you from VERY expensive bike repairs and possible hospital bills.

Once you get past the initial cost (read Christmas present) of safety gear, you should be able to do a track day every month or so if you are frugile and avoid all the extras.

We all try to share rides to the track which helps cut down on travel costs and makes the trips more fun for everyone. We can also talk abou that if you would like.

HTH

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975

Last edited by ronhix; 10-13-2006 at 08:49 AM.
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Ron loves givin' rides.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
I think Tony means street riding around here. Most of us don't get outside of the area as often as we'd like.
Chris..I realize that But, if you guys weren't so hooked on track days....you could actually do a few of the shorter trips And discover what fun can be had on the back roads of America.

Maybe I'm reading it all wrong...but lately I feel if your not a track junkie....your not into motorcycles I get this wild eyed looks from track junkies, that read to me "What a maroon, he rides the streets!"

post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 09:03 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
How to become a Track Junkie...

Just go once....thats all it takes.

Quote:
Any suggestions?

What will I need, bare MINIMUM to get to the track in terms of gear, equipment, and bike setup? What about access to a truck and trailer (are there usually enough people going that I would probably be able to bum a ride from someone?) What about track fees?
What will I need, bare MINIMUM to get to the track in terms of gear,-Helmet,boots,leathers (1 or 2 piece with 360 degree zipper attachement) gauntlet style gloves.(Back protector suggested)

equipment, - spare gas can, foot pump for air, tape on lenses and disconnect wiring harness at headlight and taillight.

bike setup-stock is fine-make sure your tires have some life on them (see NESBA handbook at www.nesba.com for tech inpection parameters.

What about access to a truck and trailer (are there usually enough people going that I would probably be able to bum a ride from someone?-probably if youre diligent enough

What about track fees? Different for each track-Generally around $160.00 per day + once a year Nesba membership fee $50-$75 depending upon if they have a membership drive in the spring or not.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm a blessed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957
Maybe I'm reading it all wrong...but lately I feel if your not a track junkie....your not into motorcycles I get this wild eyed looks from track junkies, that read to me "What a maroon, he rides the streets!"
Sounds like you are in denial Rick. It's OK to come on out to the track. We track junkies will accept you and you'll fit right in. See ya at the track big guy.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 09:04 AM
King Nothing

Quote:
"What a maroon, he rides the streets!"

Psssssst.....it has nothing to do with you riding the streets.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Please pass the trackpipe

Sportbike: That one^^
Years Riding: ..
How you found us: ?

Quote:
And remember, no matter what you read, here or other forums...you don't need tire warmers, pop up tent, race tires, race plastics, generators, enclosed trailers or $1000 paint jobs to do a track day.
But, but...all the cool guys have that shit!

Chris
NESBA CR #51
'06 GSXR 600 / '05 CRF250X / '04 CRF 230 / '05 CRF 88
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 09:08 AM
I'm a blessed man

Quote:
How do I get myself to the track the cheapest way possible!?
Oh, you said the absolute CHEAPEST way possible....

Easy! Find a friend that has all the track day stuff and just mooch off them. Use their safety gear, ride their bikes, ride to the track with them, eat their food, etc...

Right Wink?

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhix
Oh, you said the absolute CHEAPEST way possible....

Easy! Find a friend that has all the track day stuff and just mooch off them. Use their safety gear, ride their bikes, ride to the track with them, eat their food, etc...

Right Wink?
I hear there are even some dorks that want to fit in so bad, they'll put gas in your bike, cook for you and even buy you some of your favorite beer! If you can find one of them, your set.

Though I have to say this isn't any more expensive than any other hobby I've had. It's just a matter of how much you want to put into it. If you just want to ride on the track and have fun, it's not bad. If you want to race or have a competitive spirit, then your screwed.

This being my first season, I figured I'd do 1-2 track days or events a month when I had money. Thats getting out on the track every other week! Thats plenty........ This weekend will be track days 18 & 19 I think. I've already upgraded bikes and had to do conversions to my garage to organize all my gear. To say it's addictive is an understatement.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 09:46 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrouch
But, but...all the cool guys have that shit!

not only that, but all the cool looking mother fuckers are in A

post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 09:48 AM
King Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys
not only that, but all the cool looking mother fuckers are in A
And I though it was based on riding skill all this time.

post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 09:54 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger
And I though it was based on riding skill all this time.

you are correct.

so once again, all the cool mother fucker are in A.

post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 09:55 AM

Sportbike: Track: 08 GSXR 1000; 08 GSXR 1000; 2005 R6 Dirt: 08 CRF 250 06 KLX 110
Years Riding: 15 years
How you found us: NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhix
Hey Apollo,

The key word to doing track days on a budget is "USED".
+1 on that...with 4 kids...all my shit is used

WWW.TRACKDAYSTORE.COM The only online store where you earn free track time when you make a purchase
WWW.NESBA.COM
Nesba Midwest CR #803
Hix Racing #803

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode