getting/building a track bike....help - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

getting/building a track bike....help

After fixing up my old gixxer I was afraid to do trackdays on it but I really missed the track last year so a 600cc track bike is being purchased for this Spring. I have many questions for the track riders.

1)Do I buy a streetbike and convert it to track or buy a track bike already done? I'm real nervous about a bike that has been wrecked several times already as most trackbikes have. I'm leaning toward doing the streetbike since it's only Jan. If all street equipment (bodywork, shock, headlight, taillight, clipons, rearsets, etc.) were sold how would the 2 ideas stack up dollar wise. I would be willing to pay a little extra to know stuff was new and a footpeg isn't going to break off at a bad time.

2)What's your suggestion for suspension/suspension tuner? How much will this cost?

3)What modifications would keep you from being eligible for racing classes? I don't know if I'll get fast enough to race but I don't want to be looking for stock parts to replace my aftermarket bling. (this question comes up because on the WERA board a lot of people are bitching about '04-'05 gixxer brakes and changing them makes a bike inelibible for superstock)

And I know a bunch of you will start saying SV650 but I've decided to go with a 600

Thanks for your thoughts and see ya' at the track

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Woo Woo

Sportbike: None for now
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to ZoomByU
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebusa60544 View Post
After fixing up my old gixxer I was afraid to do trackdays on it but I really missed the track last year so a 600cc track bike is being purchased for this Spring. I have many questions for the track riders.

1)Do I buy a streetbike and convert it to track or buy a track bike already done? I'm real nervous about a bike that has been wrecked several times already as most trackbikes have. I'm leaning toward doing the streetbike since it's only Jan. If all street equipment (bodywork, shock, headlight, taillight, clipons, rearsets, etc.) were sold how would the 2 ideas stack up dollar wise. I would be willing to pay a little extra to know stuff was new and a footpeg isn't going to break off at a bad time.

2)What's your suggestion for suspension/suspension tuner? How much will this cost?

3)What modifications would keep you from being eligible for racing classes? I don't know if I'll get fast enough to race but I don't want to be looking for stock parts to replace my aftermarket bling. (this question comes up because on the WERA board a lot of people are bitching about '04-'05 gixxer brakes and changing them makes a bike inelibible for superstock)

And I know a bunch of you will start saying SV650 but I've decided to go with a 600

Thanks for your thoughts and see ya' at the track
I would buy one already set up, then just tune it to the way you ride and how you like it to feel. Most likely it would be cheaper as well.

"There are no men more ignoble or more foolish, no men whose actions are fraught with greater possibility of mischief to their country and to mankind, than those who exalt unrighteous peace as better than righteous war." - Theodore Roosevelt
"I will bleed on the flag to keep the stripes red!"
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

It will cost you ton more dough to buy a street bike and convert it.

Buy a bike already set up for trackdays, sooo much cheaper AND the bike may also be "dialed in", which will save you lots of time and a lot more money down the road chasing a handling problem . The network here as well as on the Nesba site won't steer you to a bike that has been abused to the point of failure.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 07:26 PM

Sportbike: FJR1300
Years Riding: greater than a decade.
How you found us: google

Send a message via AIM to NickIF
Check out my signature! Especially if you want to get into racing. Stay out of the 600 class as a newbie from what I hear... Lightweight is perfect!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
A 600 is fine... you will be competitive running in MW and HW at 99% of the tracks. Look for a track bike that already has the suspension upgrades, then go see Ed Kwaterski at Trackside Engineering in Wauwatosa for rebuild/setup.

Don't worry about mods... unless you are making podium finishes. Otherwise, you'll be fine.

Have fun!

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 07:34 PM
rider for life

Sportbike: CBR1100XX
Years Riding: First let the clutch out in 1972
How you found us: no- you found me

I'll throw out my opinion on the first part only, based on my experiences.

Your instinct to start with a steet bike and convert it is smart, and was what worked out best for me and my friend. We've bought a bunch of 600's over the years for track use only, both ways. I can't tell you how many trashed, crashed, dumped, "low sided only at 20mph" junked 600's we wasted our time traveling to check out- and this was AFTER qualifying them on the phone and viewing pictures. I even had one guy who didn't think it was worth mentioning on the phone that his frame steering neck had been extensively damaged and welded up! Everyone's racebikes are claimed to "ride straight" no matter how hammered the steering stops are, how dented the frame and swingarm is and how clear the evidence is to the opposite. It's tempting to try to save money buying an already setup track bike- but most racer's sins of omission, outright lies, misrepresntations, etc., get extremely frustrating and are a big waste of time. We got fed up. If you are looking at a used 600 track bike, I recommend bringing along another pair of experienced eyes, a flashlight, some basic tools, a long straightedge and LOOK CLOSELY at everything you can no matter what's claimed about condition of the 600 in question.
Beware of sellers who only want to bench race and brag how well they did with the bike at Blackhawk, how many trophies the won, how low their times were on the bike they're selling, how much the pipe cost that's on it, that "confirm" how good the bike is.

Good luck to you.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 07:42 PM

Sportbike: FJR1300
Years Riding: greater than a decade.
How you found us: google

Send a message via AIM to NickIF
Hmmm I looked at one used bike and it was in great condition. My SV was lowslided once, if you're interested you can bring over whatever tools you want or even take it to someone... The 600 class is notorious as being the "meat grinder class".
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Buy a fully set up 600. There are always tons of them available and it is far cheaper and easier. As you learn, you can make determinations on where you want to spend your money. AFTER you've learned.

Rider skill is the single greatest contributor to your laptimes at the beginning.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 07:55 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
My current bike was a street bike that I have converted to a track only bike. Would I do it again that way, I don't think I would. It is much easier to buy a track prepped bike and go. It's not that the wrenching is the hard part, it's buying all the crap to put on it ( brakes, suspension, body work).

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 08:37 PM
6Teen Cycles

Sportbike: '61 Pan Shovel
Years Riding: Since before 600s were fast!
How you found us: I forgot

Send a message via AIM to geomoto Send a message via Yahoo to geomoto
I may be biased but if you are worried about cost build or buy a Supermoto bike.

“The shapes and beauty of the motor are very important to me. Older bikes have beauty. Modern bikes…I don’t have any favorite shapes.”
-Shinya Kimura

'73 BMW Blog
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 08:58 PM

Sportbike: 1983 Honda VFR750, 1992 Honda VFR400R NC30 (track bike)
Years Riding: 30
How you found us: Search Engine

Send a message via Skype™ to GrandpaNot
I bought my first bike all setup and have never had any issues. I have been very happy with the bike for the last couple of years.

My new project is a conversion from a street bike. I am spending the winter doing it (and also a lot of money). Somehow though it may not make financial sense it feels more like my creation. I think I was better prepared to deal with this having spent some time at the track on a well setup bike and know what I am getting into.

If you do not have a lot of experience setting up a bike and track riding on a bike that is well setup you are in for a steep learning curve and maybe some frustration. If you like a challenge though you may get something good out of doing the project.

Been dere done dat dis dere and de udder ting. OH and whatnot
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
Or find someone like the Sandman and buy theirs

Computrack is a helpful standard for straightness.

Almost always there will be things to fix, but I've often looked for project type vehicles that were at least partially done with the modifcations, and jumped in knowing that there would be things to do, but at least I didn't have to start at square 1.

The other stuff about omissions seems true in just about anything you buy
used, it seems especially true on ebay at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I'll throw out my opinion on the first part only, based on my experiences.

Your instinct to start with a steet bike and convert it is smart, and was what worked out best for me and my friend. We've bought a bunch of 600's over the years for track use only, both ways. I can't tell you how many trashed, crashed, dumped, "low sided only at 20mph" junked 600's we wasted our time traveling to check out- and this was AFTER qualifying them on the phone and viewing pictures. I even had one guy who didn't think it was worth mentioning on the phone that his frame steering neck had been extensively damaged and welded up! Everyone's racebikes are claimed to "ride straight" no matter how hammered the steering stops are, how dented the frame and swingarm is and how clear the evidence is to the opposite. It's tempting to try to save money buying an already setup track bike- but most racer's sins of omission, outright lies, misrepresntations, etc., get extremely frustrating and are a big waste of time. We got fed up. If you are looking at a used 600 track bike, I recommend bringing along another pair of experienced eyes, a flashlight, some basic tools, a long straightedge and LOOK CLOSELY at everything you can no matter what's claimed about condition of the 600 in question.
Beware of sellers who only want to bench race and brag how well they did with the bike at Blackhawk, how many trophies the won, how low their times were on the bike they're selling, how much the pipe cost that's on it, that "confirm" how good the bike is.
Good luck to you.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 09:42 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomoto View Post
I may be biased but if you are worried about cost build or buy a Supermoto bike.
More importantly if you're worried about cost, racing is probably not for you. Track days are expensive enough, but racing requires some deep pockets.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 10:46 AM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

+1 on the presetup track bike.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Please pass the trackpipe

Sportbike: That one^^
Years Riding: ..
How you found us: ?

I'm buying a year old race bike the next time. I've lost a ton by buying a new streetbike and converting it.

Chris
NESBA CR #51
'06 GSXR 600 / '05 CRF250X / '04 CRF 230 / '05 CRF 88
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

Everybody is telling you to buy a bike that is already built, they are right. The question is now, "how do you find the right one?"

Here's a trick. Research the CCS and WERA race results and look for the guys running consistently in the top 10 in the expert class. It normally takes a good rider and a good bike to do this consistently, plus the guys that have been doing it a while know from experience the things that need to be upgraded on a bike to make it faster at the track.

Now look for their bikes in the for sale section on the CCS and WERA forums. If necessary, contact them directly and ask them when they plan to upgrade to the newest bike. Give your contact info and tell them to call you when they get ready to sell.

If money is no issue, contact the AMA privateer teams and see if they have last years bikes for sale.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 02:48 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

speaking of good looking bikes roger, how she looking?

taking care of the paint i hope?

remember with black, lots of love, lots of carnuba wax after a deep glaze application.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 08:29 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrouch View Post
I'm buying a year old race bike the next time. I've lost a ton by buying a new streetbike and converting it.
That's what I did. Awesome deal. I think Garth might be selling his current bike this year too....

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Please pass the trackpipe

Sportbike: That one^^
Years Riding: ..
How you found us: ?

+1 on what Ron said. I should have been more detailed.

Chris
NESBA CR #51
'06 GSXR 600 / '05 CRF250X / '04 CRF 230 / '05 CRF 88
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 02:11 PM
rider for life

Sportbike: CBR1100XX
Years Riding: First let the clutch out in 1972
How you found us: no- you found me

Man, I could write a guide booklet at this point on how to look for a used racebike- between myself and helping a friend having looked at so many crashed out 600's in the midwest! I will leave you with this little advice however: take a front stand with you (to check out the front end, wheels and rotors for straightness), don't check out the bike in question at night in a cluttered, dimly lit garage, and don't take ANYTHING a seller tells you on faith or assume anything on stated condition. In all my years, I have yet to have a single private racebike seller back up any claims with any documentation proof, or reciepts. I'll also throw this one out: how are you going to tell if a steering head isn't "ovaled" from crash damage and has been disguised by cranking down tight the bearing preload? Seen that one. Novice 600 guys only seem to remember all the endless money they spent on their track bike, gear, trailer, track time, and travel and are usually in a state of denial on the present condition of the machine they're selling. Also, consider this down the road: the paperwork/title situation becomes real important when YOU have to end up selling the thing when you're done with it- don't accept excuses and promises from an anxious seller who'll tell you anything to get rid of his trashed racebike fast...

For what it's worth, the virgin SRAD GSXR600 street bike I purchased paid for 80% of it's used race parts buy selling the street plastics, headlight, tail lights and signals, upper fairing bracket, foot controls, bars, etc. It was in such good shape when I sold it that the buyer drove straight up from North Carolina to get it (no one on this board was interested), and he was very happy.
If I was buying a used race bike, I agree with Ron totally. For example, I'd have no hesitation buying any of last season's bikes (or older) from Mark Junge/Team Vesrah in Union Grove.

Be careful, look closely, and take your time! Over and out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my pictures_0383.jpg (82.8 KB, 10 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode