Considering something - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
SNF

Sportbike: Nothing.
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Cookie Monster

Send a message via AIM to Gixxer6Dan
Considering something

I've been considering two options for the coming season, I can either

A. sell my bike and use the cash im saving to buy a nice bike, (Duc 998,GSXR750/1k, Something New) or

B. Sell my bike and buy a track prepped bike, I've actually considered asking Nick if he would want to work something out on his but I'm not positive of what I want to do yet..

I suppose I could also keep my bike and get it track prepped / keep it for the street but I don't want to deal with all that plus I want something new ! =D

Both leave me lacking in some form or another, if I go with A. I cant really do any track days due to having to prep the bike and all that jazz etc, plus I don't want to fear dropping a brand new bike

If I go with B I will be able to attend a decent amount of track days and obviously have a lot of fun, but I will have to install a hitch on my car (IS 300) I'm sure its possible and I'd be able to tow the bike and any necc. tools, but then I won't really have a bike to ride on the street, unless I can find one with all the stock parts, etc which wouldn't be hard but its all that work of putting it on!

Not really sure what to do here, I would love to go with option A and just track prep the bike so I could do maybe 3-5 track days this year but I'm not sure I'd be able to afford that

My main question is if I go with my second option and get a track bike, I've read SV650's are pretty good bikes, but what bike would be most forgivable on the track ? :\ I was hoping to get a little more power to the wheel then the 600, maybe a 750 or so, I'm fairly confident in my riding ability but I still wouldn't want to track a 1000 as a beginner.

How are the Duc 998/749's on the track as beginner bikes? If I buy slightly used or new it will most likely be a 749 Dark or 998 depending on how much money I have/payments.

NESBA - Seems to be missing, can someone direct me where to find it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 04:26 PM

I dont know what your goal is but, it takes me all of 15 minutes to get my bike from ready for the street to ready for the track. Ideally ...you would want different tires for the street and track, so maybe an additional 20 minutes to swap out the rims if you wanted.

Having the same bike to pull double duty is pretty common to start off with.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 04:33 PM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

Well, if money's an issue, forget about the Duc on tracks. Go for a Japanese bike and especially a popular one for track days (gsxr or sv) and that way your investment will be less than if you had a 'one off' bike that was hard to sell or maintain.

For street, get whatever floats your boat. Especially if you can afford something nice to ride around on.

There's lots of track bikes that can be purchased, and hopefully the trailer hitch on the IS300 isn't a deal breaker, but you're going to have to decide which is more important to you; nice car, track days, nice bike for the street. Its not impossible to have all three, but riding bikes on track days can be seriously addicting and the costs do add up. (going cheap on tires? plan on buying lots of bodywork! etc).

If you've never done a track day, go to a school where they supply you with a bike and see if that works for you. This way, if you're not keen on it, at least you're only out a few hundo, instead of a few grando.

Good luck.

(FWIW: I'm a two time attendee of California Superbike School and it was a BLAST, but it also taught me that I'll never be even any good as a "C" class rider! heh heh). So, I keep my stuff on the street and enjoy visiting friends at their track days, but without the hassle, worry, towing, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I dont know what your goal is but, it takes me all of 15 minutes to get my bike from ready for the street to ready for the track. Ideally ...you would want different tires for the street and track, so maybe an additional 20 minutes to swap out the rims if you wanted.

Having the same bike to pull double duty is pretty common to start off with.
Yup, my Duc pulls double duty. takes me about 20 minutes to swap it back and forth.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
SNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashomon View Post
Well, if money's an issue, forget about the Duc on tracks. Go for a Japanese bike and especially a popular one for track days (gsxr or sv) and that way your investment will be less than if you had a 'one off' bike that was hard to sell or maintain.

For street, get whatever floats your boat. Especially if you can afford something nice to ride around on.

There's lots of track bikes that can be purchased, and hopefully the trailer hitch on the IS300 isn't a deal breaker, but you're going to have to decide which is more important to you; nice car, track days, nice bike for the street. Its not impossible to have all three, but riding bikes on track days can be seriously addicting and the costs do add up. (going cheap on tires? plan on buying lots of bodywork! etc).

If you've never done a track day, go to a school where they supply you with a bike and see if that works for you. This way, if you're not keen on it, at least you're only out a few hundo, instead of a few grando.

Good luck.

(FWIW: I'm a two time attendee of California Superbike School and it was a BLAST, but it also taught me that I'll never be even any good as a "C" class rider! heh heh). So, I keep my stuff on the street and enjoy visiting friends at their track days, but without the hassle, worry, towing, etc.
I did a NESBA day last year thanks to CLSB Been wanting to get into it ever since then, the hitch isnt a deal breaker at all, but like you said everything will add up, I'll have to buy new gear, etc so on top of the bike I have to factor those in

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
SNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Yup, my Duc pulls double duty. takes me about 20 minutes to swap it back and forth.
I think on top of my list right now is maybe a slightly used Ducati 749 and just take out a loan about 2k over what I would need to buy the actual bike and just set her up for the track and get all that done.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 06:41 PM

Sportbike: MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR, KTM 525EXC w/540 big bore
Years Riding: 17
How you found us: at strats on wensday night

What's wrong with your GSXR? That is an ideal track bike! If it isn't fast enough for you, there are things you can do to it to boost the performance. As long as you aren't racing and just doing track days, preping your bike is as easy as changing your coolant and taping up your lights. Buy lots of masking tape, some good tires, and some gear and you are on the track. This is the cheapest of your options and will net you the most fun per $.
OR try the option I went with. Buy a busa for the street to pull double duty as street bike/touring bike/fast bike and then buy a tracked out GSXR 600 for cheap just for track days. That way when you crash, you still have a street bike until you get your track bike back together. Good luck with whatever you choose, just remember it will cost way more to go with any option other than to keep your 600 and use it for both.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 08:02 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

+1

That GSXR 600 is made for the track.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 08:58 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Step one: Go on eBay and buy some rashed up race glass for your gixxer.

Step two: Practice swapping your street plastics for the race glass until you can do it in the time it takes to drink 6 beers (or 4 if you're not a big drinker)

Step three: Spend your money on track time and beer for the people you bum rides with.

Step four: Do all this, and ask the same question this time next year.

Done.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
SNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Step one: Go on eBay and buy some rashed up race glass for your gixxer.

Step two: Practice swapping your street plastics for the race glass until you can do it in the time it takes to drink 6 beers (or 4 if you're not a big drinker)

Step three: Spend your money on track time and beer for the people you bum rides with.

Step four: Do all this, and ask the same question this time next year.

Done.

Swapping the plastics on my gixxer is hell, I mounted an HID right under the headlight and if I ever move that thing and it falls out it takes me a good 2 hours to make it stay there. Which is why I don't mess with my plastics once their in their damn place =P I'm at the point where if I dropped the bike, and if that fucking thing didn't fall out I'd just leave the trashed plastic =P

I've had this bike since 2004, just kinda want something new, im aware that the 600 is a great track bike, I've considered keeping it and just buying a new bike on top of it, but then would still be kinda short on track $$

Last edited by Gixxer6Dan; 01-27-2007 at 10:12 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 09:06 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Invest in a set of DZUS fasteners and watch how quick and easy it can be. As for the HID - my advice would be to remove it completely and put it back on your car where it belongs!

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
SNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Invest in a set of DZUS fasteners and watch how quick and easy it can be. As for the HID - my advice would be to remove it completely and put it back on your car where it belongs!
That would be tough considering its super glued in there

Plus it looks pretty

Looking around for DZUS Fasteners, what should I be looking for? Gonna see if I can find the size of the bolts in the fairing.

E: Gonna probably keep the 600 and just attend every track day this year within 200 miles

Last edited by Gixxer6Dan; 01-28-2007 at 02:31 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode