Straight Dope on Leathers - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Straight Dope on Leathers

Courtesy of Alexa Krueger at www.spyderleatherworks.com:

I've been getting many questions about which suit to purchase, what is considered correct fit, etc.

Brands that I unequivocally endorse:

Off the shelf:
Komodo
RS Taichi
Vanson
Rev'It

I do not necessarily have biz connections with all of these companies, I just feel they are exceptional.

As far as customs, most rock, from Vanson , Barnacle Bill, NJK, Komodo, you will most likely be satisfied.

All other suits will work, provided they fit properly, some are not on the list because I consider them to be too expensive and/or over engineered, some are not on there because they are not a value. I've omitted "Value suits", because these will get you through a crash or 2 and require regular repair.

Cowhide vs Roo:

Roo is thinner and lighter than cowhide, and offers superior abrasion resistance. A roo suit will be more comfortable in hotter climates and conditions. Once it is breached, it can tear easily. Pricing on Roo runs the gamut, and it can be repaired, and you may have to repair more often if you happen to crash on abrasive tracks or run into particularly sharp kitty litter.

Cowhide is tough, but abrades more readily. It can be cut thinner, to save on some weight, but that is at the cost of durablilty. Vanson, BB and other customs tend to use thicker leather, and can last years, Thinner leather will still offer adequate protection, but may have a shorter usage window.

Fit is the most important aspect of your gear! If you have an ill fitting suit, you and the suit will get damaged. We can repair the suit, but scars are forever, broken bones take longer to fix than the hole in your sleeve. If your armor is not in the correct position, it cannot protect you properly. If your suit is loose and the armor moves out of position easily, it cannot protect you. Flapping leather in the thighs and biceps can cause "snake bites" that essentially tear your skin requiring stitches, sometimes internal as well as external.

However, if you spend $1600 on the meanest, baddest suit, and it just doesn't fit, you are doing yourself no favors, and injury is likely.

Most suits will generally do their job at least once, and sometimes, you get what you pay for. If you paid $500 for a suit, and it got tore up, but you didn't, it did it's job. Send it out for repair, if need be. If you pay $1000 for a suit, and that same result happens, you can be a little miffed you paid a bit much, but ultimately, it did it's job.

Something to remember about this sport: It's dangerous, and the reason we wear protective gear is to reduce risk of injury. No gear can guarantee to prevent injury, just to lessen it's potential. Do your homework, buy the best you can afford. As always, ride smart.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode