Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

cold trackdays?

2K views 53 replies 14 participants last post by  Jim 
#1 ·
so I'm signed up for putnam this weekend but the forecast isn't looking good temp wise - highs in mid 40s and lows in mid 20s. I'm planning on running power races (med soft) with warmers. Will traction be an issue? Is it going to completely suck? what should I expect in general? any other advice for cold trackdays is appreciated

#2 ·
Yes... traction will be an issue, especially early.

Turn 4 at Putnam is a trap on a good day, on a cold day it's a crashfest.

Avoid the inside 2 1/2 feet on the entrance, it's real off-camber.

Wear a GoreTex Shell or other windblock over your leathers to help.

Wear a draft-Stop on your neck, that helps.

Take a heater of somekind if you can manage it.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun.

BEWARE TURN FOUR !

#3 ·
BTW.....
running warmers on a cold day .... your grip will be better on your first two laps
than at the end of the sessions, tires actually loose temp when it's really bad.

Listen to the tires.

Tom

#6 ·
for the number of days and tires in the budget this year, this one may not be worth it if the weather forecast doesn't significantly improve. Anyone want my A group spots at a deep discount lol?

#7 ·
What Blarney said +1 on both posts.
and... watch out for turn 4!
Did you get it yet?
Also watch out for Dead bear. The other left hander that goes up hill.

#8 ·
I've been there a couple times so I know and love the track, although the cold makes it all that more precarious. Just not thrilled about the timing of the swing in the weather. I think I'm going to sit it out

#9 ·
I feel for you. I have my first track day Saturday in Michigan. I'm really considering sitting this one out. Good thing it only cost me $30.

I may go and ride slow. Not sure yet. Too bad i don't have tire warmers.

#12 ·
Just come out and ride. I will be there both days. Don't even bother running warmers. Your tires will most likely cool off immediately when you take the warmers off anyway. Wear long johns and a thin face mask. Take your time and don't ride over your head. It will be a good experience. Find me and we will drink a beer after we are done riding.

#14 ·
If running warmers will make you feel better you can use mine.

If you can afford it, buy a set of PP cts. They are street tires and will be much better than a race tire in this weather.

Any day riding is better than not. Who knows, maybe it will warm up more than they are predicting.

#15 ·
I'm pretty apprehensive about the power races, I was thinking a street/track tire would be better so its nice to have that confirmed but the additional cost is an issue. GH, do you know if a tire vendor will be at putnam? Decisions decisions...

#20 ·
See now Tom, that is what winter time is for. You're supposed to be monitoring all the web forums for spare parts for your machine. The way my SV stock is set up at this point in time I could crash 10 times and it never costs me a dime.

#31 ·
So are you gus riding this weekend or what? I'm all packed up ready to go. I've been ice riding on the lakes up in Wisconsin all winter so a track day when its 40 degrees isn't too bad just as long as you dress for it. Thermal socks, long johns, hippo hands, and slightly lower tire pressure. Rock and Roll man.

#35 ·
I'd use the tire warmers as much as possible. And I'd probably put blankets over the tire warmers to keep from loosing heat while they are on.

Yeah, you're gonna go out and you're gonna loose tire heat. But you're never going to generate as much heat that you're gonna have at the end of a session after loosing tire warmer heat.

Much easier to try walking a dangerous road with help rather than over a pit with no net.

#38 ·
That's the way I was looking at it. During a session, even in the cold, you still end up with more heat than you start with. So there is at least some ability to increase the heat in tires even on the coldest day. Starting with more means you'll end up with more. You will drop tire temp during the session, but you will still end with the tires warmer than if you started with stone cold tires. You just have to know which direction your traction is going during the session, and ride accordingly.

#41 ·
Its a track day though, not a competition event. If I was competing for a pot of money or nice fancy trophy then I would for sure cook my tires and run the generator all day. I can't justify running the generator all day to run warmers at an open track day. At a race event you have one warm up lap. At a track day I can take 2 or more laps to warm my tires up. Cooking tires at a trackday is pointless in my opinion. But thats just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.