Shocks.. Is it worth it? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
SNF

Sportbike: Nothing.
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Cookie Monster

Send a message via AIM to Gixxer6Dan
Shocks.. Is it worth it?

I have the money set aside right now to Revalve and Respring both my rear shock and front forks..

However, I've been thinking of picking up a mid-range Ohlins or Penske rear shock along with re-valving and re-springing my front forks..

My question is, is it worth to spend the extra 600$ to get the shock? Will it make a night/day difference compared to revalving and resprining the stock shock?

The next question would be, if so which shock should I pick up? I want to stay under 1100~ or so for the total bill.. so I figure maybe 700-800 for the new shock if I pick one up....

NESBA - Seems to be missing, can someone direct me where to find it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 09:36 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
what will it be used for? Street or track? How big are you?

Track-use, it's worth it. Even my 160lb body noticed a difference when respringing the front end (albeit, an ultra cheap SV stock front.)

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
SNF

This is a purely track bike (Maybe a race bike if I ever get fast enough! ) .. I weigh about 225-230 right now.. I plan on being in the 200 range by summer.

I know for a fact I'll see a huge difference in respringing the front and back..

But will the actual shock make a huge difference?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:18 PM

Sportbike: MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR, KTM 525EXC w/540 big bore
Years Riding: 17
How you found us: at strats on wensday night

The shock makes the biggest difference in adjustment. I love my Ohlins shock/forks and like the feel of them. My track bike has a Fox tripple clicker and I like it too. The valving and springs is great for the frontend and an aftermarket shock for the rear would be best. Try scoring a used one from a racing board or Ebay and you can get them for half price.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:19 PM

Sportbike: MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR, KTM 525EXC w/540 big bore
Years Riding: 17
How you found us: at strats on wensday night

Oh yeah, the difference will not be huge between shocks, but more in the stiffer spring and ride height adjustment.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
SNF

Theres one on ebay right now but with a buyout of 800$, I pm'd the guy looking for what model # it is. It is for my bike however..

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 01:15 AM
G97
I heart NEG REP

Sportbike: Fast One
Years Riding: 32 years
How you found us: ?

For what it is worth I did 6 AMA nationals on a resprung, revalved OEM shock on a 97 GSXR 600.

With the being said a Penske shock does give you better adjustability. But for just doing track days I would look into getting the correct spring rate and then evaluate from there

GARTH
www.nesba.com
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 05:45 AM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Plus 1 on what everyone said so far.

Last year I run a re sprung stock rear shock, this year Ohlins. We will see how much better teh rear tire life is this time around. Should be huge difference.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 06:30 AM

Sportbike: XB12R, H1, TTR125
Years Riding: I still have some money left...
How you found us: old member

With most of the late model sport bikes, you can adjust the rear ride height of the rear of the bike by shimming the clevis. I think you're on the right track with just getting new springs. Then go after the geometry to get it all to cooperate by adjusting shock length and fork height.

Geometry and spring rate are very necessary. Dampening? Well, that's a nice bonus. At most of the local tracks, the OEM stuff certainly isn't going to be bad at all unless you hit some massive bumps, then in might skitter.

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
Super Dave's Race Against Childhood Cancer
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 07:28 AM
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

DON'T BUY USED!!! That's my suggestion I purchased an Ohlins rear shock for my SV a couple years back raced with it for an entire year before finding out it was completely the wrong shock. Get in touch with LP USA or Ed from trackside engineering and look into a Penske, I've put one of those on each of my SV's when I had them, and also have one now on the Mille, they are great shocks and decent price. That's my .02 it's too risky to buy used and hope that it's sprung the way they say it is, and also that it's internals are still in good shape.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 07:33 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

MIght be best to ride the stock shock cleaned up until you can tell US
what the PROBLEM with the stock shock is.... where it is having trouble
that you cannot adjust for.

Point is..... unless you are an suspension guru, it takes time to figure out how to use the extra adjustability of the high end shock.

Over time you will reach a point where you will need it...

How soon that is has to do with how well you ride now and how fast you learn.

If money wasn't an issue, I'd say buy a new shock now, buy a good one
and have your forks done by whoever you buy your shock from.

Penske rather than Ohlins for a trackbike.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
SNF

Was asking because I found a 46PRXLS that is for my bike, I checked the part #'s to match it off ohlins.com.

They retail for about 1200, I can probably pick this one up for 750-800..(Is said to have about 300 miles on it..) I can always change out the spring on it and have someone else set it up when I get my forks done.

Just wasn't sure if it was worth the extra 600$ over revalving the stock shock.

Last edited by Gixxer6Dan; 04-13-2007 at 09:01 AM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Wannabe racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer6Dan View Post
Was asking because I found a 46PRXLS that is for my bike, I checked the part #'s to match it off ohlins.com.

They retail for about 1200, I can probably pick this one up for 750-800..(Is said to have about 300 miles on it..) I can always change out the spring on it and have someone else set it up when I get my forks done.

Just wasn't sure if it was worth the extra 600$ over revalving the stock shock.
I would still price out a Penske too though, because they tend to be cheaper and they are great shocks. You can probably get a brand new Penske for the same price as what you will spend on a used Ohlins. Again keep in mind it's hard to tell what shape the internals are in with shocks, it would suck to buy the Ohlins, then find out you have to turn around and have it revalved, or the spring isn't rated for your weight. When you buy new, you pick which spring it's going to ship with, the internals are guarenteed to be perfect, and your set.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 09:10 AM

Sportbike: XB12R, H1, TTR125
Years Riding: I still have some money left...
How you found us: old member

Well, I'll tell a story...

Years ago, I got a new race bike and we put a shock on it. Bike worked great. I could drag the frame, etc.

A couple years later, new race bike. I raced it with the stock shock, and I did well on it. Put it way up front on an AMA grid, won a couple championships, etc. For the next year, I put a shock on it. Sucked. I survived, but it was work and just plain evil.

Moral of the story...

At the time, I didn't have the tools in my personal box to set up the shock, let alone set up a stocker, really.

A shock in an of itself will not necessarily magically make the bike work tons better. Sometimes, it can, often, it's just "ok". I've seen shocks come with the wrong spring, springs that have been mislabeled, etc.

If you don't get this shock, another one will probably come around.

Springs are the first place to start, period, and see how it works. Work that set up first. My opinion.

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
Super Dave's Race Against Childhood Cancer
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
SNF

From what I saw the lower end of Penske's are about 800$ and the higher end which I believe would be comparable to that Ohlins runs about 1150$

So I could pick up the double clicker Penske shock for about a similar price of what this one would be..

(I did email the guy and ask what the spring rate was on the spring to see if I would have to buy a new one.)

But chances are just simply due to money constraints I'm going to stick with the stock shock and probably have Ed set it all up for me.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Wannabe racer

That's a good option too, he reworked the rear shock and forks on my first race bike, and did an awesome job, never replaced the suspension on that bike. Just all depends on what you're looking for. One of the things I really like about Ed is he will be honest with you. Tell him what you're trying to accomplish and he will give you good feedback as to what your options are, and what's the best place to spend your money, even if the result means he doesn't sell a shock.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 10:31 AM

You should check out Elka, they make a nice shock as well. If you look on ebay you can get a brand new Elka triple clicker for ~$900. Who are you going to have do your forks? I have been looking into this as well. I was thinking Thermosman or gpsuspension for the revalve and respring.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 10:59 AM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

I tend to learn by doing. I can read stuff all day long but I understand it much better when I do it myself. If you mount the best suspension in the world and ride it to the edge, it may be wonderful and work great!

What did you gain from it? You didn't learn much. If it doesn't work well for you, it may just be because you don't know how to tune it. Someone can turn the knobs for you, but you need to know what they're doing and how it changes the bikes feel or operation. I plan on playing with settings a bit tomorrow.

Get the forks sprung with the right springs and fresh fluid. Maybe add the gold valves. Then play with the settings and see what works for you. Setup the geometry according to your suspension guys recommendations. Then ride it and learn.

I'd think most subtle changes aren't even noticeable until your pushing the suspension to work. Not a statement about you, but if your slow (like me) and the suspension is just not working through much range, will you feel any difference? If your loading the suspension and forcing it to do it's job and using it's range of travel, it may be a totally different feel.

You can spend a lot of money on suspension. But we all know there are really fast guys out there that can dust us on a stock bike. Work on the area that needs the most work. Build your skills up. As you find the bike won't do something right or it feels strange, then upgrade whats needed. Then you can feel difference and you've learned something.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 12:45 PM

Sportbike: rolling chassis
Years Riding: longer than before
How you found us: well, I was on the internet looking for ummm...pictures and....

I bought a perfect Ohlins triple for $600 shipped and re-did the forks myself.

I agree with Greg in that I have learned more about this stuff than most by doing ALL my own work. Shocks, however, should not be attempted by a lay person. There is a 200 psi nitrogen charge in there that will screw you and a lot of things up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode