Who is still going to the Team Chicago Race School? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Doc

Sportbike: 2006 Lemond Zurich
Years Riding: since the age of 4
How you found us: SBN...back in the day!

Send a message via AIM to Doc
Who is still going to the Team Chicago Race School?

Who is still going to the school?

As long as it is above 45, I will be there on Saturday. However, Sunday is iffy for me...it's got to be nice out.

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

"A man who dares to waste an hour of life has not discovered the value of life."-Darwin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Doc

Okay, the rumors are not true. I won't be doing the Learning Curves class. However, the way it looks, I might not be doing the free Team Chicago school either.

Basically, it comes down to a couple of factors.
[list=1][*]The weather say it will be a high of 49 and windy...which equates to a cold day at the track[*]A cold day at the track means less traction and/or cold tearing of new $325 race tires[*]If I don't go, I can get a set of billet aluminum case covers [*]If I get my race glass in, that will give me all weekend to sand and paint.[/list=1]

If I see the forecast change, that could change my mind.

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

"A man who dares to waste an hour of life has not discovered the value of life."-Darwin
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 09:22 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Pussy sorry....had to say it.....

Why don't you come on up to BHF? Call me at owrk tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Doc

If I don't go, I will try and make it up there on Sunday. I want my case covers.

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 07:23 AM

Case covers aren't going to do you any good when your bike isn't on the track man

R6's with frame sliders are pretty good about not tearing the case covers up too bad anyhow.

If its above 45 and partly sunny the track conditions will be okay. You would be suprized at how much of a difference the sun makes on the pavement.

But that said its still way early. Ive had my eye on the weather for a week now and every day it changes. Some days it is worse than I like, others its very nice. So with that said, things are still 4-5 days away and a lot can change. I plan to start really looking hard at the weather thursday evening.

If its dry im there! (Sunday that is)
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 07:43 AM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
I'm still planning on going. As long as it's over 45 and sunny it's a go for us. Just means I won't be going nuts on the track. Which is probably a good thing since it's the first day of the season.

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 07:49 AM

I'll check the weather Friday afternoon. I might still scrape myself out of bed at 3AM and hit the road if it looks liek it will be sunny and might hit 50 in the afternoon.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Doc

Quote:
Originally posted by WERA276
Case covers aren't going to do you any good when your bike isn't on the track man
I'm already doing 4 trackdays at Grattan, so I'm not hard up for track time there...even though the track is sweet. I've "tested" my frame sliders 2x and each time it ground through the case cover. For the money, I really can't pass them up.

If I do go, I'm driving up and back the same day. I won't be staying for Sunday. I'll make my decision on Friday.

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 07:18 PM

Well I will be there likely spending the night at a hotel with two buddies Saturday night.

We plan to likely come down and just get some laps in for $25 Saturday being we are already racers,.....i guess that is okay..or so it seems.
Then sunday do some tuning and turn some laps.

So.........if anyone is staying Saturday night and wants to shack up in a hotel give me a ring. We can pack some guys in and make it a real cheap night in a hotel.

Bob Miller WERA 276
989-793-3836

My buddy Paul WERA 178 will also be going
And Scott....Doesn't race just does track days on a beat to shit superhawk.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Doc

Bob- So you know, it's $60 to ride the track on Sunday. I didn't want you to ride up thinking it's $25. $25 is the fee for people with their race license already that plan on doing the school.

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 07:48 PM
long distance

Sportbike: Many
Years Riding: since 81
How you found us: LiLbirdy

Well .... I'm out , just found out I have to work the weekend ... not a bad thing though .... over time & double time , and the bike still needs some last minute stuff
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 08:02 PM

Doc
Yes im aware that its $60 for Sunday and $25 for current racers for Saturday. Saturday all I really want to do is tune my carbs if they need it and adjust my forks. So if I get 10 laps in for $25 thats cool with me.

Next sunday the 13th (Sunday) Grattan is hosting the same open track for $60. I will also be attending that day.

Im working on 23's this year on a slow ass bike so I need lots and lots and lots of laps. I plan to kill a set of new Super Corsas between this Saturday, Sunday and next Sunday.

If any of you you guys plan to ride Sunday, I can show you a few spots you can pick up some speed or drop some time at Grattan. That track has so many places that you learn to shave time, only after lots and lots of laps or having someone show you. For starters, the jump after turn 4....both tires in the air! Crazy but fun.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Doc

Bob- Well, the forecast for Sat. and Sun. is looking even worse for me. If this keeps up, I'm not going to make it. I would like to do next Sunday's (the 13th), but I won't have my race license in order to get in on the $60 day.

Wish I could do the May 15th day too, but that's a bad week for me. I hope the weather warms and I hope to see you Sat.

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 09:49 PM

Doc
You do NOT need a race license to do the track day on the Sundays at Grattan or any Friday pre race event. I don't know who told you this, but its not true. I have 5 friends who did almost every Friday practice last year and do not have a race license or school completed. They do have experience on the track, thats all.

Nobody at Grattan checks, or cares. You just ride with the novice riders. And trust me some of them are SLOOOOOOW. As in, ive seen you ride and you ride WAAAY faster. Some novice riders on 1988 EX500's who have only been on the track one time, but do have a licence turn lap times of like 2 minutes........You on your R6 can do that in 6th gear all the way around with one eye shut and a pepsi in your hand.

But, yea the weather does look touch and go. But its still early. maybe the cold front will push through early. The other plus is, the weather channel has said, cold and rain for my city for the past two days, and its been partly sunny and pretty warm, upper 40's, low 50's.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Doc

Damn, that's good to know. I think I just assumed since the Friday practices at Blackhawk, you have to have a race license. Well, I am still holding out on the weather. I have yet to mount my race tires and everything else is a go.

Oh, the only thing I do have to do is remove the side stand. What did you do to keep the circuit closed?

Thanks for all the info. thus far,

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 10:31 PM

Doc-
I'm going from memory here so i could be wrong, but I don't think I did anything for the side stand switch. I think I just unbolted it and tied it up out of the way

ccs #282
SM-USA #88
R6
Yz 426
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Doc

Quote:
Originally posted by Ducman
Doc-
I'm going from memory here so i could be wrong, but I don't think I did anything for the side stand switch. I think I just unbolted it and tied it up out of the way
Okay, I'll try it and see if it needs any further modification.

Thanks Mike,

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 09:36 AM

When the sidestand is in the "up" position it pushes the tab on the switch. So if you just unbolt it that won't work. Just unplug the switch and run a jumper across the two wires that will take care of it. Or you may be able to run a strand or two of safety wire around it to pull the switch tab in, then cover it in a load of duc tape just to keep things nice and tight.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Doc

Quote:
Originally posted by WERA276
When the sidestand is in the "up" position it pushes the tab on the switch. So if you just unbolt it that won't work. Just unplug the switch and run a jumper across the two wires that will take care of it. Or you may be able to run a strand or two of safety wire around it to pull the switch tab in, then cover it in a load of duc tape just to keep things nice and tight.
I'm electrically inept. What does it mean to run a jumper across the 2 wires?

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc
I'm electrically inept. What does it mean to run a jumper across the 2 wires?

Doc
SO your saying basically that the circuit is normally open and the switch identifies the stand as up by closing the circuit.

2 options.... cut the wire and twist the end together or do what he says and jam a paper clip in there and put electrical tape over the whole thing.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 11:56 AM
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

I cut and twisted mine, I wouldn't chance the paperclip deal. I mean think about it, what if you are leaned over in a turn, all of a sudden a bump causes the paperclip to lose connection. The engine is going to immediately stop cause the rear wheel to buck, and more than likely you are going down.

Cut it far enough back from the connector so that you can re-attach it later if you need to. That's my .02 worth.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 11:57 AM

Make sure you cut it leaving enough wire to reattach if you ever want to put the kickstand back on.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 12:03 PM

beat me to the punch....
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 12:10 PM

I just took a quick look at my R6. I couldn't find the kickstand switch. I think I unplugged the whole unit. But I also thought that when the kickstand was up the plunger was out so all you had to do was tack the kickstand of in the up position. If you tke it off in the down position it cuts the curcuit and the bike won't start. Once again I could be wrong

ccs #282
SM-USA #88
R6
Yz 426
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Doc

Okay, like I told you guys, I'm not very electrically inclined. Because this is a track & street bike, can you think of an easy way to attach and reattach the side stand? Is there a type of connector I could splice onto the wires and then get an adapter to complete the circuit when the side stand if off the bike. Like something with a female/male end? I might have to make a trip to radio shack to see what they have.

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 02:35 PM

Just get yourelf one of these and carry it around with you...

hmmmmm....
if you get a new female/male connector you could make it work so switching back and forth will be quick and easy.

Here's my idea....buy and extra male connector and loop the wire; this will be the same as twisitng the wires together for track use. Plug it in and go race.

The second male connector will be attached to your kickstand wiring.

No charge for that advice.....
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Doc

Quote:
Originally posted by Kruz
Just get yourelf one of these and carry it around with you...

No charge for that advice.....
1. They don't make a bike rack large enough or a rear stand small enough.

2. In general, wasn't that my idea?

Now to just make it work. I suck at electrical shit.

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 06:20 PM

Ive used the "paper clip" method on my race bike for 3 years with no problems. Just jam a little clip or metal tab in and tape over it, it will be fine.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 08:22 AM

the weather keeps getting worse. I'm 100% out. I really wanted to go, but this is just silly MI weather. 35 for a high??? yikes!!!

I' cold just thinking about it. Even the 13th isn;t looking too hot. They're predicting rain for that day.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Doc

Yeah, I'm 100% out for this too. I had a bitch of a time changing out the front tire last night. The pin pitbull says fits an R6 isn't what fits, so I lifted the front and had someone put jack stands under the forks. Now to change the rear and get my GD plastics!!!

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode