Anybody going to BHF this weekend? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Anybody going to BHF this weekend?

Its my first track day up there... or anywhere in the area since I just moved here. How long is the ride up from Chicago on a Friday evening? 1.5-2hrs?

Any inside tips from you vets about the area, track, etc...

thanks
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 10:20 PM
This show is 'Rated NC17'

Sportbike: Honda's & Yamaha's
Years Riding: Late 80's
How you found us: CLSB found me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Its my first track day up there... or anywhere in the area since I just moved here. How long is the ride up from Chicago on a Friday evening? 1.5-2hrs?

Any inside tips from you vets about the area, track, etc...

thanks
Dave
From Chicago on a Friday night, it's about two hours.

Um, it's a track. Bring a BBQ, firewood, music and a lot of booze! (Not for the pilot but the crew! ) Don't forget mosquito spray and your chick! Not in that order.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. ~ Buddha
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 10:30 PM
We ride tomorrow?

Sportbike: i like 04's
Years Riding: not enough
How you found us: NESBA.com

what org is putting these days on? what class are you riding in? The track is a workout so stay hydrated. Learn the track from somebody who knows it and then get out and have some fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Its a PTT event. I'm signed up in the novice group. I was going to do saturday but registered for sunday (sat is sold out). Its my first track session on a bike. I've been racing cars for many years though. So i am familiar with being at tracks in the middle of nowhere waiting in line for tech at ungodly hours of the morning with little to no sleep. I'm also riding the bike up...so I'll be leaving the bbq at home. Looks like I'll head up saturday during the day instead of friday.

dw
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 12:43 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

yeah here are my tips

1.next time try to go with the organization that supports and gives us A LOT of track days to give away to hopefully steer riders to advance there skills in the right place. LIKE NESBA there on our website.

2.you should trailer or rent a van for all your gear and your bike. if something happens your fucked getting back home and or injured, at least you can drive with a broken or sprang arm or leg.

3. take your time, ride within your OWN limits and ask there control riders for as much help as you can get them to work with you.

4. start studying the track lay out.

personally that track is so easy and so forgiving that its great for a beginner to the track. wide open and very easy to see where you are going around every corner.

good luck and have some fun.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Retired but still working

Sportbike: 1994 H/D Softail Custom
Years Riding: Long Enough
How you found us: search

Send a message via Yahoo to Dean
Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Its a PTT event. I'm signed up in the novice group. I was going to do saturday but registered for sunday (sat is sold out). Its my first track session on a bike. I've been racing cars for many years though. So i am familiar with being at tracks in the middle of nowhere waiting in line for tech at ungodly hours of the morning with little to no sleep. I'm also riding the bike up...so I'll be leaving the bbq at home. Looks like I'll head up saturday during the day instead of friday.

dw
Hey Dave, I'll be up there on Sunday. Look for a green conversion van with a black trailer. I'll be there at 7am. You are more than welcome to pit with me. I'll have plenty of room under the canopies.
Do a search on YouTube for Blackhawk Farms and NESBA. Some good videos by Blarney (member here and CR with NESBA) and GixxerDan (member) going around the track. You'll have a blast!

Dean

What do the internet and Channel 11 have in common? They are both a window to the world; put it out there and do not be surprised who will see it.

Last edited by Dean; 06-26-2007 at 08:49 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Seriously?

Sportbike: 06 Gsx-R 600
Years Riding: 4 years
How you found us: Your Mom!

Send a message via AIM to Hunny Send a message via Yahoo to Hunny
I think Biggy and I are going to be up there Sat only though.

Bikes can be replaced...people can't...ride safe!!
http://public.fotki.com/kemeiz/
Sex is like math... you add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs and pray you don't multiply!
<---- Kristin
UR MOM RACING
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks but I didn't really have a choice. I checkked the NESBA schedule for this weekend and Gingerman and Spokane weren't viable options. Next local NESBA event is mid to late July. I'll try and make that too if my schedule permits. I travel a lot for work.

I don't really have any gear to bring even if I had my truck here. I just moved here and everything (including all my tools) is still in my shop in Boston.

One reason for posting was to see if anybody else was going and to see if I could either catch a ride or borrow a wrench if something unexpected happens. I'm just out to have some fun and learn the track a bit...i'm not looking to break any lap records and push to my limits.

I didn't mean for this to be a "my 1st track day" thread...Ive been living at tracks for years and know all the basics and also know my humble place.
I was really just looking to draw on some local knowledge before I head out.

Thanks again
dave
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dean...I'll definitely come say hello. I have an orange zxr-636. I've been watching the onboards from the BHF site. I'll search youtube too...thanks.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
It's a fun track, I'll be there July 14th.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 12:11 PM
We ride tomorrow?

Sportbike: i like 04's
Years Riding: not enough
How you found us: NESBA.com

I would also advise against riding to the track #1 because of the reasons Odysseys already pointed out, and #2 because it is a physically demanding track, that coupled with the fact that this is going to be your first trackday on the bike I think your gonna be just wiped out at the end of the day and that 2 hour ride home might suck, a lot

just my
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 12:13 PM

watch out for the turns!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrueger View Post
that 2 hour ride home might suck, a lot
Especially if it rains, huh???

I'd gladly accept a ride if anybody has room...I riding out of necessity not choice. I know its not ideal but its better than staying home and driving around the city.

and yeah...I'll watch out for them there turns. Thanks.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 12:11 AM

I'll be there! Sometimes my schedule and NESBA's don't mesh up, and going to the track sure beats not going! Besides I need more practice so I can convince Wink that I'll deserve a bump sometime in the next 1-2 seasons! Unfortunately, I'm coming from Kenosha and will have a full truck, so I can't offer help with the ride.

Enjoy your 1st motorcycle day on a great track, and have some fun! regardless of how easy and open the experienced riders may think Blackhawk is, be aware it is still a technical track... No elevation changes, or corners that would be technically too difficult, but it does take some time to get the the flow and develop a comfort level with the track.

Go fast, turn right, left, right, push left, turn right, turn left (3X), turn right (4X) and go fast again!!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunn13 View Post
Besides I need more practice so I can convince Wink that I'll deserve a bump sometime in the next 1-2 seasons!

Go fast, turn right, left, right, push left, turn right, turn left (3X), turn right (4X) and go fast again!!
Tom,

You know you are right there ready for the bump. You were lookin' GREAT last week! Looking forward to riding with ya next time.

Looks like you at least know all the turns by heart now!

Brian

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 06:39 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Enjoy the ride....... come see us at a NESBA event !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzhXil2-3zk

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post

Looks like you at least know all the turns by heart now!

Brian
Yeah, and it only took me 2 full seasons!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode