Considering the track.. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Illegitimi non Carborundu

Sportbike: That Bike
Years Riding: That Long
How you found us: Google Search for "sexy."

Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
Considering the track..

For you track folks, any advice on starting out? My desire would be to get a bike to use strictly for the track and set it up to be the best tool to learn on - work my way up from there. Any advice on bikes and where I should go for training/practice?

I probably don't have any time this year to start, but I could at least get the bike and work on it over the winter. I need another hobby and I have been listening to my heart lead me in this direction for a couple of years now. Not really interested in going pro

Thanks all!

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
2013 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special Owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 08:02 AM
6Teen Cycles

Sportbike: '61 Pan Shovel
Years Riding: Since before 600s were fast!
How you found us: I forgot

Send a message via AIM to geomoto Send a message via Yahoo to geomoto
Supermoto
The most fun you can have on 2 wheels.

My bike is in Arlington Heights right now, if you are around tomorrow or friday you can check it out. PM me if your interested.

“The shapes and beauty of the motor are very important to me. Older bikes have beauty. Modern bikes…I don’t have any favorite shapes.”
-Shinya Kimura

'73 BMW Blog

Last edited by geomoto; 07-04-2007 at 08:04 AM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Best starter track bikes are older 600s or even better for learning is an SV650.

Come to the next Blackhawk Farms event with us on July 14th and learn about the track, attend the meetings for free and talk to us about how to get started.

Great group of people and a ton of fun on the track. Good luck with it!

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 09:19 AM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

You came to the right place then. You will find more help here than you will even want.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
Come to the next Blackhawk Farms event with us on July 14th
Thanks for the invite. I will see about heading out there. I am not up to anything that weekend, I would love to check it out.

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 07:08 AM
Mr.President-FTMFW!!!

Sportbike: 2006 750 GSXR Black & Yellow
Years Riding: 1 season (and then some)
How you found us: Wink

Send a message via AIM to Rated R
Quote:
Best starter track bikes are older 600s or even better for learning is an SV650.

Come to the next Blackhawk Farms event with us on July 14th and learn about the track, attend the meetings for free and talk to us about how to get started.

Great group of people and a ton of fun on the track. Good luck with it!
Hey I am planning on making it out to BHF on the 14th (finally). What time should I make it there? I too have been wanting to get to the track... So this will be my crawling before I walk to get introduced to it... I won't have my bike or anything being that I am not ready equipment wise or otherwise, but I did want to attend so that I can get familair with the entire set-up and see 1st hand how a track day is organized. I probably won't be ready to get on the track equipment and otherwise until next season. But I wanted to get started by at least showing my face.

Rhasheeda
2006 GSXR 750

"I never asked for nothing I don't demand of myself
Honesty, loyalty, friends and then wealth"
Jay-Z, Justify My Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowass View Post
...I know it's trashy. Hense, the Slowass Experience.

Last edited by Rated R; 07-05-2007 at 07:12 AM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 07:38 AM

Sportbike: KTM 690 SM
Years Riding: A little bit.
How you found us: I had the strangest dream.

Do a Nesba intro day (FREE!!!) first on your bike, see what you think before you spend a ton of money on something you've never done. Not saying you won't love it, which I and most do, but I was pretty awakened my first track day as to the reality and danger of what you are doing. You have to do it first hand to understand. With that being said, the track Rocks, but I can see it not being for everybody. Just my
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 07:39 AM

Sportbike: KTM 690 SM
Years Riding: A little bit.
How you found us: I had the strangest dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
Hey I am planning on making it out to BHF on the 14th (finally). What time should I make it there? I too have been wanting to get to the track... So this will be my crawling before I walk to get introduced to it... I won't have my bike or anything being that I am not ready equipment wise or otherwise, but I did want to attend so that I can get familair with the entire set-up and see 1st hand how a track day is organized. I probably won't be ready to get on the track equipment and otherwise until next season. But I wanted to get started by at least showing my face.
If you are just going to watch you could get there by 9:30 and not miss anybody riding, although the meetings start at 8 i think. There's all the info you need on www.nesba.com
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Pfft ...the 675 is where it is at. Lots of usable power, and outstanding performance. You will not get a better recommendation, nor any viable arguments against it!

Geo? Most fun on 2 wheels??

A this is a sportbike board
B It must be an acquired taste, I would not ride one if you paid me, or told me that it was the most fun on 2 wheels

Good luck!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcohenchicago View Post
Thanks for the invite. I will see about heading out there. I am not up to anything that weekend, I would love to check it out.
Tape up the VFR and do the novice sessions in the morning, good time to get out there and try it out and see how you like it. Plus they are free.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:27 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Tape up the VFR and do the novice sessions in the morning, good time to get out there and try it out and see how you like it. Plus they are free.
DO IT!

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Feel free to ride the free "Intro Sessions". (sing up early for these on the NESBA site, there are limited spots) You get two free sessions on track in the morning, and you can go as slow as you want (within reason). ZERO bike prep required, although you personally would need helmet, gauntlet gloves and leathers. Many of us have spare leathers we can loan out or you can rent leathers from NESBA if you'd rather do that.

As far as when to arrive?If you want the "full" experience, be there by 7:30 am. That'll give you a chance to park, see what registration is, then walk over to Tech to see how the bikes get checked over. It is invaluable understanding what is checked on the bikes, and how to verify that your own bike is ready to ride safely. Usually around 8:15, the General Rider's Meeting starts, and that is followed by the Beginners Meeting. If you haven't been to the track before, these are both very helpful meetings. (If you have been to the track many times, you could probably LEAD the meetings... LOL!).

Anyhow, feel free to pit with someone you know from the board, and ask all the questions you can all day. If it is BHF, stick around for the cook out afterwards and the drink.

All in all, a great time. Spyder84 came to Putnam just to watch his first time, and he is already in "A" group just a year later.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:40 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

wink, any advise for me?

i would also like to start doing track days, but all i own is a goldwing.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Forgot the starter bike part of the question. Although Brian recommended a 675, which is a great track bike. My recommendation for a 600 or a SV650 was more base on a cost effective way to get into a good used track ready bike. They are easy to find, cost $3-4k, and are excellent track tools.

You can find them on WERA, CCS, NESBA and this board on a regular basis.

Albeit a 675 is a nice bike, you will have a hard time finding one for the same price as a 600 or an SV, especially already all track prepped.

Even if you had the money to buy, prep and repair a new GSXR600, R-6 or 675, I'd still start with a used, track prepped bike.

FWIW - Nick Ienatsch, lead instructor at the Freddie Spencer School AND Freddie Spencer ride their VFRs in the class, teach from them as well as give two-up rides on them. And they can still out ride just about anyone from their VFRs. It is a VERY capable trackbike in its own right.

What ever you do, GET TO THE TRACK!

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
wink, any advise for me?

i would also like to start doing track days, but all i own is a goldwing.
Feel free to come out and ride one of my bikes anytime you want Ken. You know that!

And BTW, I have a friend who rode Pridmore's class on his Gold Wing, and the kicked him out of the intermediate group becuase he was passing all of the Ducati's on the outside, scraping hard parts and scaring them to death.

I know you have seen the video of that guy railing through the Dragon on his Gold Wing...

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:49 AM
YO MAMA

Quote:
Feel free to come out and ride one of my bikes anytime you want Ken. You know that!

And BTW, I have a friend who rode Pridmore's class on his Gold Wing, and the kicked him out of the intermediate group becuase he was passing all of the Ducati's on the outside, scraping hard parts and scaring them to death.

I know you have seen the video of that guy railing through the Dragon on his Gold Wing...
hahaha, you know i was joking right?

anyway, thanks for the offer, might take it up sometime.

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Slow Old Guy.

I know, I know... but it was just an opportunity to remind you that you have an open ride anytime you want. I miss ya! ;(

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:57 AM
YO MAMA

ill be at the next blackhawks to hang out. this time ill get plenty of rest before hand.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 10:04 AM
6Teen Cycles

Sportbike: '61 Pan Shovel
Years Riding: Since before 600s were fast!
How you found us: I forgot

Send a message via AIM to geomoto Send a message via Yahoo to geomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

Geo? Most fun on 2 wheels??

A this is a sportbike board
B It must be an acquired taste, I would not ride one if you paid me, or told me that it was the most fun on 2 wheels

Good luck!
Yeah I know its a sportbike board. It just looks like a lot of us have gotten into other aspects of motorcycling. All I know is that my non sportbike uses 17" Slicks.

Have you ridden a SM bike on the track? They are not a ton of fun on the highway and I wouldn't take one cross country but I also have a trackbike with almost no money invested that I built and can ride when I feel.

I really enjoy supermoto and I suggest all of you hardcore trackday guys to come out and give it a try. I'll even offer my bike up to let you take it for a spin.. The trackday only costs $25 bucks.

“The shapes and beauty of the motor are very important to me. Older bikes have beauty. Modern bikes…I don’t have any favorite shapes.”
-Shinya Kimura

'73 BMW Blog

Last edited by geomoto; 07-05-2007 at 10:07 AM.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Mr.President-FTMFW!!!

Sportbike: 2006 750 GSXR Black & Yellow
Years Riding: 1 season (and then some)
How you found us: Wink

Send a message via AIM to Rated R
What about the 7fiddy?

Rhasheeda
2006 GSXR 750

"I never asked for nothing I don't demand of myself
Honesty, loyalty, friends and then wealth"
Jay-Z, Justify My Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowass View Post
...I know it's trashy. Hense, the Slowass Experience.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 10:38 AM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
+1 on supermoto. After doing a number of tard trackdays this summer, I'm not sure I'll ever go back to the big tracks. motard trackdays are cheaper, safer (in terms of chance of high speed crash), and frankly more exciting.

the only thing missing at a tard trackday is blasting down a straight at 100+
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Slow Old Guy.

750 is an excellent all around track weapon. Probably the single best bike that someone can have. Starting out on one? That will require some patience and self-discipline on the throttle. The extra HP that it has above a 600 can get you places many times faster that you want to arrive. Translation: It accelerates faster and you will have to adjust for harder braking to counteract the acceleration, carry more speed, or freak out. Again, many people start on Liter bikes, and the 750 is certainly far more docile that a 1000. BUT... do NOT hit the gas at lean angle, and as you start out, don't go full throttle towards the next corner entry.

All it takes is discipline, and the 750 is an AWESOME bike. And that model you have, will out handle most bikes out there.

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Formerly Known as Justaguy

Sportbike: YZF
Years Riding: next question
How you found us: you found me

Send a message via MSN to Medwin Send a message via Skype™ to Medwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcohenchicago View Post
I will be there on Sunday the 15th, it's going to be my first one. If you decide to go there just look for the Asian guy on black R1 who have no idea what he's doing.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Just got back from a test ride of the SV650S. You were dead on with the "better yet" part. I've been on the older 600s and the SV felt better to me. I know haven't decided on the track as being a hobby, but I am going to err on the side that I will love it and plan accordingly.

What do you guys think of this:

Ebay Item number: 190128876270

I will make a determined effort to be at the track on the 14th - maybe even on the 15th as well to chat with JustAGuy if I can. If I get brave, I might tape up the VFR and try the noob runs. Not sure about that one yet. Being that this is my first sport bike (albeit leaned toward sport cruising), I am still getting used to the nuances compared to my dedicated cruisers I'm also not happy with the notchy shifting I am experiencing right now - from what I understand it's typical until the bike is driven about 1500-2k miles. Only has 500 miles and about to hit the first maintenance (600 miles I think). Getting a new seat and grips next week (or whenever they come in).

Thanks for all the advice folks. Your enthusiasm is contageous.
I'll ping you all for more information as my excitement builds

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Slow Old Guy.

First thing I'd consider is this: https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...ad.php?t=57805

Then the eBay item: 01 SV for $2k... it is not local, so it will cost you money to get it. However, as I mentioned in the earlier threads, you'd be best served getting a bike that has already been setup for the track. FAR cheaper than building a track bike yourself. Track plastics are a minimum, but rearsets, suspension, 520 kit etc... are things you will usually get on a track ready bike.

See ya at BHF!

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Id tell Moparboyy to make it $2500 including the rashed up rearsets. I can certify it runs, is starts better than the S4. Done and done, Wink is spot on with this one.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Slow Old Guy.

It carried Mopar well into the "I" ranks, and then he upgraded to the all-powerful F4i (which he bought from me) to earn his "A" bump.

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

How are the different ranks determined, by-the-way?

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Slow Old Guy.

For NESBA, this is a rough guideline:

Intro/Beginner Group is for folks new to the track regardless of riding experience. Passing is allowed anywhere except in corners.

Intermediate is for folks who have all the basics down. They have smooth, consistent and predictable lines. They have good and smooth braking and acceleration and they are able to make safe passing decisions, complete passes without braking the rules, and carry a significantly faster pace than the Beginner riders. Passing is allowed anywhere except on the inside of corners (outside corner passing ok).

Advanced riders are riders who have demonstrated a significant skill set, and a significant pace while maintaining predictability. This group is primarily composed of riders with significant track/racing experience ranging up to expert racers and AMA Pros. Passing allowed anywhere, anytime and is run much like open race practice. (no rough or stuff type passing allowed).

For other organizations other than NESBA, you can pretty much pick whatever group you wanna run in, and sign up for that group. NESBA group levels are earned.

Hope that helps clarify things for ya.

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
ill be at the next blackhawks to hang out. this time ill get plenty of rest before hand.
Cool, see ya there.

Track Junkie #79

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode