Post RA 7/5 - 7/8 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Post RA 7/5 - 7/8

Wow, what a weekend. I had alot of ups and downs. I showed up Wednesday night in Elkhart Lake and got a call from K3 saying he lost all of the belts on his van rite past Great America on 94. Since I was already 100 miles north, there was no way I would be able to help. He held tight until morning when he could get parts and made it up the following afternoon. I had a couple beers with Tom Mason and Edgar Dorn at Seibkins then headed to the track for some shut eye.

Thursday I rode with NESBA and got some decent laps in until I discovered my bike was boiling over. Come to find out with all the mods I've done to the motor I'm going to need a larger radiator. I was able to make a few mods so the motor would run cooler though. I ended up taking the thermostat out of the housing and blocking off the cut off hose from the water pump to the thermostat so the water flowing through the motor would constantly pass through the radiator. Come to find out it was too late. I blew both head gaskets. I was able to get a head gasket set from Ed Key and tore into the motor. I just replaced the front head gasket first hoping that’s all it was just in time to grid up for GTL on Friday but by the time I got around on the warm up lap to the grid she was still boiling over. So back to the pits to tear it apart again and tackle the rear cyclinder. I got done by about 10 or 10:30 Friday night and had the bike all back together.

During the course of putting my motor back together I was signed up to run the team challenge with Dave Vaughn and Montez Stewart. Tez failed to show. Dave wanted me to start the race so I agreed. We were using his 05 GSXR750. I was able to get a good amount of laps on the machine Thursday and Friday morning and felt pretty good on it. I road 65 miles until I decided to pit. I was really starting to get tired out there. You know you're tired when you're not looking through corners and thinking about other shit than racing. When I came in I almost couldn't find our crew I was so disorientated. Dave finished the second half of the race and we ended up finishing 7th in GTO and 14th overall. Pretty good finish for my first ever expert race. My fastest lap was a 2:35 during that race.

Come to find out my problem with the SV was because of the APE cylinder stud kit I have. The stud kit has a cap style nut that torques down to tighten the cylinder heads. Well, a couple of the caps bottomed out no the studs not allowing the cylinders to be tourqued flush causing cylinder compression to leak into the cooling system. So my temporary fix was to add washers shimming the cap nuts up. A couple of the studs were about 0.025 to 0.030 lower than they should be so I shimmed the caps up 0.070 to 0.075. Temporary fix until I can get some non cap style nuts.

I kept my fingers crossed Saturday morning in practice and the bike felt good and did not over heat on me. My first race was Lightweight Super bike and I was in Row 2B. I battled back and forth with a guy from Tampa on a Ducati 1000 the entire race. We must have drafted each other 5 times each. It's amazing how much the draft sling shots you past the person. I passed him twice into 5, he drafted me down the back straight and the front straight and I did the same to him. He ended up getting the draft on the last lap and passed me into 12 on the back straight and held me until the finish and I ended up with 5th place. Pretty good I guess for my first expert race on the SV.

CCS Thunderbike was delayed until Sunday morning. There was a grid of 26 with alot of national numbers mostly on Buells. Again I had a good grid position at 2C. I got a good start and was in 5th going into turn one. The Buells just have so much horsepower I was bit out gunned. Once they get stood up and pointed in a straight line they just out motor the SV. I battled back and forth for a couple laps with one guy but he ended up pulling away. The race was red flagged because of debris on the track and there was a complete restart. I again got a good start and was able to hold 12th place and ran my fastest lap of the weekend on the SV with a 2:40.

Good weekend overall. I'm still a bit tired and burnt out from the heat. The Pilot Power Race front 2C is magic, the thing has endless lean angle and stick. The rear Pilot Power Medium Soft has almost perfect tire wear, stick and barely ever spins or slips. It was alot of hard work rebuilding the motor, but it felt really good to be among good friends, be at the track and race my first Expert weekend. Good stuff.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com

Last edited by Grasshopper; 07-09-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

Good stuff Nick. How does someone not show up for an endurance race? Isn't that kinda lame???

Eric
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:07 AM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Good job Nick!

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Good stuff Nick. How does someone not show up for an endurance race? Isn't that kinda lame???
I don't know man. Whatever, we still did good and made it through the race. It is so much fun riding that Gixxer 750 at RA. More track time for Dave and I.

I also want to thank Rob for all his help and support this weekend.Brian Conley from Valley Racing for helping me get started on the head gasket removal and install and temporary fix. Ed Key for the parts, Guy Bartz for his advice and help. Brian Kwak (Reverend Rice) for all of his help and advice. The Moto ST Aprillia Team pitted next to us for letting us use a halogen light Friday night to get the motor back together. K3, thanks for letting me use some of your tools.

I also got to meet Jay Springsteen and Gary Nixon. Big time old school flat track racers. They are running a Moto-St Kawasaki team. I got both of their autographs, pretty sweet.

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:14 AM
PPF Installer

Sportbike: 01 GSXR 600
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: post on gixxer.com

good job man, kinda good for you of Montez not showing up, but still kinda strange he wouldn't show, didn't he ride for Jordan last year or was that the year before already?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
I also got to meet Jay Springsteen and Gary Nixon. Big time old school flat track racers. They are running a Moto-St Kawasaki team. I got both of their autographs, pretty sweet.
I read an article about Nixon a few months back. He seemed like a real hard edged, no BS, old school racer. Cool dude.

Eric
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:23 AM

Sportbike: 2006 R6 Raven
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: ChicagoIlivewithmymomriders.com

I'm proud of you!

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowass View Post
I'm proud of you!
Most importantly and this goes without saying.

Thank you for all of your support. It's the most important. Without Slowass Financing Grasshopper doesn't go racing.

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:36 AM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes

Get a room you two.

Glad it worked out ok Nick, you're fucking die hard man. You do closely resemble a farm animal though.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker View Post
Get a room you two.

Glad it worked out ok Nick, you're fucking die hard man. You do closely resemble a farm animal though.
Lets go dirtriding after work this week down in Hopkins you hillbilly turd.

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Lets go dirtriding after work this week down in Hopkins you hillbilly turd.
I should be able to get out of work early. What day is good for you?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Congrats nick

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:48 AM
the magician.....LOL

Sportbike: 02 R1
Years Riding: 3 yrs
How you found us: CHICAGORIDERS.COM

nice to hear you had a good weekend brother ....one of these days, i gotta get out to a track and run with ya.....last time i was much slower

NESBA "I" #46
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:50 AM

Sportbike: R6, SV1000s, rm250
Years Riding: since 2001 in socal
How you found us: team chicago

Very cool Nick, it was nice to meet you. I should have probably signed up for the trackday before hand to get up to speed on the track. Friday's GTO race I blew the turn after the carousel once, hit a false neutral another time, and slide the rear out coming out of the bend. GTU felt much better but unfortunately got red flagged. Finished in the top half or third in most of the races. I didn't get down to 2:39's until MWGP (last race on Sat), MWSS Sun day I stayed at 2:40.'s and 2:39, then finally stepped it up a little more in HWSS to run 2:40,2:37,2:39, and then 2:38 final lap, good enough for a 5th. What helped me was catching Rob after the bend in the first lap. I knew he was running a best time of 2:31 or 32 so far, so I figured if I could tail him for a bit, I may learn something too. I pushed my brake marker for T1 back to just after the gap in the dividing wall on the left side of the track, for T5 it stayed at 4 and by the end of the second lap, Rob gapped me enough to lose me. I believe he finished 2nd on his 750, still good times and hopefully,he can bring the 749R to race MW at BHF. It'll be game on then. It was a good weekend for suspension setup though. With the help of Ed and Dan Ortega, I was able to pinpoint a number of issues and get them corrected or at least make plans to.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:50 AM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
cool man!!!

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:55 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker View Post
Get a room you two.

Grasshopper and Slowass or Grasshopper and Maynard?

Good job Nick!

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerkMX View Post
Congrats nick
How are you doin man? You up to some drinkin yet?
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Congrats on a successful and safe weekend Nick. Sounds like you had your work cut out for you and you did well anyway. TONS of stress and you still performed. Great story, thanks for sharing it with us.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

Congrats Nick. Thanks for stopping by the RV and encouraging me!

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Ron Hix kicked some major ass out there this weekend. Hopefully he can post in here and let everyone know whats up.

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhix View Post
Congrats Nick. Thanks for stopping by the RV and encouraging me!
Hilarious, you posted that at the same time I was wondering about you.

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 01:18 PM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

Nick,
I saw your battle with the Duc from turn5! I had a good time Thursday night bro. 3 dorks looking up at the stars arguing about constellations and shit. Good times!
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Rice View Post
Nick,
I saw your battle with the Duc from turn5! I had a good time Thursday night bro. 3 dorks looking up at the stars arguing about constellations and shit. Good times!
Did you see me get that bastard on the brakes twice in LWSB!!!! That was so much fun man. Come off the draft down the straight rite out of turn 4 and go POOF! rite past him on the binders hard on the inside at turn 5. Damn Ducati had about 10 HP on me.

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 01:29 PM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

My entire race weekend was a disaster! I couldnt get the bike to work all weekend long. Bike wouldnt pull past 11k in 5th down the straight. I was getting eaten up by everthing and everyone on all the straights. I listened to someone else for some reason for jetting advice and completely made my bike unrideable for my race. Almost made me want to quit racing. Qualified in 19th and was a nervous wreck on Sunday for my race. I almost shit my pants waiting for the race as I knew it was an uphill battle. Got a decent enough of a start from the 5th row but due to the jetting and gearing problems I got passed by 8 or so bikes between turn 1 and turn 5. Then another came by in the backstraight and ended up battling the entire race with some fucker on an Aprilia RSV250 and finished 17th. It sucked and I wish I could do the weekend over. I suppose the highlight of the weekend was chillin with Nick and Rob and going to dinner with the Celtic racing boys and Jimmy Filice.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Congrats Nick. Great work.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

THey have several rooms.....bought a house I think !

Nice job Nick......sounds like good results considering.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode