Total Track noob, point me in the right direction - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Total Track noob, point me in the right direction

Total track noob, all my riding is on the street, and almost all of that is commuter (you know the flat spot in the middle of my rear tire) miles...

I am really looking forward to hitting the track for the first time next spring and would like to know what needs to be done between then and now to be ready for it...

I've read TotW by Code, is there better/more litrature that is worth reading?

Tech, what do I have to do to pass tech, yes my bike has an oil leak, doesn't every bike?... yes I have antifreeze in my radiator... yes I know how to lockwire stuff, what needs it??

Track procedures, ultimate, total, complete, utter NOOB. I don't want to be "that guy" my first few times out. I'm slow, I got chicken strips, I used a belt sander on my knee pucks to take the "brand new, spiffin, shine" off them. What to do to limit my 'hazzard to navigation' and meatballin' my azz.

I'm not rich, but I will spend the coin on the good stuff if need be...

give me the 411, teach me oh Obi-wan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Oh Wiiiiiink......

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 08:45 PM

Sportbike: ??<-COMING SOON
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: Some dude

This is from "WINK" his name is Brian, he is NESBA cr and has a great site check it out,
http://web.mac.com/brianwink/iWeb/Tr...TrackDays.html

forgot to add you can learn alot from this thread
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...ad.php?t=49522

by the way I am a noob to but everyone on here Like G2G know a hell of a lot more than me, just I had to do some of my own searching and this is what I have found

Last edited by Crazy Train; 09-20-2007 at 08:50 PM. Reason: forgot to add thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 08:45 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

First off no not everybike has an oil leak, get it fixed. You don't have to drain you antifreeze being a noob but it wont be a bad idea since you don't want to ruin everyones trackday if you have a coolant problem. Go to www.sportbiketracktime.com or Nesba.com those are the 2 big trackday orgs around. Either one will be fine. You will have people who pound there chest saying nesba is better than STT or visa versa. You will get great instruction out of either one.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Train View Post
This is from "WINK" his name is Brian, he is NESBA cr and has a great site check it out,
http://web.mac.com/brianwink/iWeb/Tr...TrackDays.html
+1 Wink has put a lot of good info in there.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Did someone call? My ears were ringing...

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Wink... you are DA MAN!!! that page is BEYOND informative passing into a Zen state of understanding...

hell I don't even need to go to the track now, I've already been there vicariously via Wink.

thanks man, I will get the oil leak fixed over the winter, change out the antifreeze for DIW and waterwetter... lockwire everything that doesn't rotate

and get me some track skins...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 02:12 PM

Sportbike: ??<-COMING SOON
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: Some dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
Wink... you are DA MAN!!! that page is BEYOND informative passing into a Zen state of understanding...

hell I don't even need to go to the track now, I've already been there vicariously via Wink.

thanks man, I will get the oil leak fixed over the winter, change out the antifreeze for DIW and waterwetter... lockwire everything that doesn't rotate

+1 I think they should make Wink president!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Heading home from Heartland (http://www.hpt.com) we just had an AWESOME weekend. Anyhow, glad that you found the pages helpful. As the season winds down, I'll be spending a lot of time over the winter finishing up the site and adding tons of stuff to it. Hopefully, it helps folks get the most out of their track days, racing or street riding.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post

If you think he's good there wait till you ride with him in B group your first day. He is the first CR I ever rode with and he taught me more in 3 sessions than I learned in 15 years on the street. and it only continued from there.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
If you think he's good there wait till you ride with him in B group your first day. He is the first CR I ever rode with and he taught me more in 3 sessions than I learned in 15 years on the street. and it only continued from there.
Not the first CR I rode with, but teh first CR that took me balls out in 'B' group to only comment afterwards, "Now we need to work on your passing." Only 10 minutes later slapped an 'I' sticker on my headlight saying "Let's go, B1tch!"

Wink is awesome. That was my first day at Blackhawk, my first day with NESBA, and only my third overall trackday. That session, I believe it was 2nd or 3rd after lunch, was the SMOOTHEST, most FLUID, and best session I had all day. He showed me how the track was at a faster pace with control, and how it could possibly be like with less traffic. But damnit, it felt good to ride behind someone with so much fluid confidence setting a rhythm hard to break.

Enough about Wink (Finally, he has a bike that can keep up in the corners ) The other CR's are just as awesome.

As far as tech goes, G2G has a point, not every bike leaks oil... They check the important functions in 'B' group so EVERYONE has a safe track day, not only the person riding the bike. There are tons of people to help you out if you need it at trackday. Hell, even a n00b like me has more tools than Moparboyy, a certified mechanic has.

Last edited by Mort82; 09-23-2007 at 08:08 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 08:53 AM
Mr.President-FTMFW!!!

Sportbike: 2006 750 GSXR Black & Yellow
Years Riding: 1 season (and then some)
How you found us: Wink

Send a message via AIM to Rated R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
Hell, even a n00b like me is more of a tool than Moparboyy,

Rhasheeda
2006 GSXR 750

"I never asked for nothing I don't demand of myself
Honesty, loyalty, friends and then wealth"
Jay-Z, Justify My Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowass View Post
...I know it's trashy. Hense, the Slowass Experience.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

well I have a shop full of tools so I've got no excuse for an oil leak other then busy... or lazy... The TL's have a continous problem with the seal around the clutch basket actuator shaft... it passes through the case, it's just forward of the primary out put shaft so it gets a ton of crap and road grit tossed on it and when the bike is on the side stand, the seal is under the level of the oil in the oil pan... three strikes... It's only 3 years old and has most likely been leaking for 2 of those three... I'll have it apart this winter and and see what can be done... Everything else is in the works

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 06:32 PM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

Those Apexjunkie.com guys rock! They're so knowledgeable and strikingly handsome!

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode