First set of leathers.... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

First set of leathers....

I tried on a buddies set of AGV Podium One Piece leathers and they fit pretty good. I am a big guy, 6'5" 280lbs. His were a size 52 and they zipped up and fit decent. I thought maybe they were a bit tight although they did fit ok. So I found a super deal on a set of the same exact leathers that were brand new in size 54 so I thought they should fit PERFECT.....

I was so happy!!!

Well today the UPS guy comes with my awesome brand new set of leathers....I am even more happy because this is my first set of leathers and the reality of being out on the track is starting to take shape....

Well I went ahead and just got done prying myself into them.....legs barely want to get into them....I pull them down so I can get them zipped on the legs so my calf isnt cut with the zipper....ok no big deal they should stretch...

pull them up and the thighs are mighty tight...very tight compared to my buddies 52.....no big whoop as those might stretch too....

crotch is VERY tight but ass is ok so I can live with my nutz getting crushed I guess for a little while until I hunch over the bike....and it might stretch some there too.....the size 52 still had more room...

now for the fun part....right arm in after contorting my body....stand hunched for a minute because it wont let me straighten out.....try the left arm and its a no go!! I am starting to think I made a horrible purchase....

drop to my knees to kinda stretch out what I have in it so far hoping that the stitching holds....it does as this is a pretty quality suit I guess....try the left arm again and it gets half on...enough so that I am contorted like Houdini breaking out of a straight jacket....off it comes, cant get it all the way on....

Ok, lets try a different approach.....left arm first, stretch it out good....now right arm.....hey, maybe my right arm can bend more or something because it went in pretty easy comparitively....ok, so I cant stand up....ah no big deal...you are bent over a bike anyway....

so now the bad part and the worst part of all.....IT WILL NOT ZIP...NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! Got about 4-5 inches at least before the zipper will touch!!!!

This is the absolute worst feeling....why would a size 52 fit when this 54 wont?? I know the 52 was broken in but 5 inches of stretch....are you kidding me??

I hope there is a way to make this stretch a lot or I am out money as this was on closeout and cant be returned....

Can anyone please give me an idea on how to get this to stretch....oh and in case anyone wants to say, "Lose weight and it will fit."........I already know that!

Thanks for listening and ANY help you may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 10:50 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

From what I hear they stretch also was advised to use baby powder in them to loosen the leather. thats what i did with my leather pants

I am sure the other will chime in with more knowledge

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

...This is the absolute worst feeling....why would a size 52 fit when this 54 wont?? I know the 52 was broken in but 5 inches of stretch....are you kidding me??...

There are US and UK sizes, they vary by about 10, so a 54 may actually be a 44.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 11:40 PM
I break everything!

Sportbike: SV650S, ZX6R, GSXR600
Years Riding: Since 04/2003
How you found us: Google

+1, you probably got a size 54 European suit which is like sz 44 US. You need a size 64Euro/54US suit.

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 12:05 AM

Sportbike: Track: 08 GSXR 1000; 08 GSXR 1000; 2005 R6 Dirt: 08 CRF 250 06 KLX 110
Years Riding: 15 years
How you found us: NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGu View Post
+1, you probably got a size 54 European suit which is like sz 44 US. You need a size 64Euro/54US suit.
I agree...you bought a 54 European. Check the tag

WWW.TRACKDAYSTORE.COM The only online store where you earn free track time when you make a purchase
WWW.NESBA.COM
Nesba Midwest CR #803
Hix Racing #803
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:34 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

They wont stretch that much, at least not in torso direction. I agree with the others about euro vs. US sizing. That sucks for U. Put em on ebay or try to sell in the for sale forum here.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRECAT View Post
I agree...you bought a 54 European. Check the tag

It didnt state Euro on anything when I bought it. Got it from Kneedraggers. Here is the listing from my reciept...

1 AGVSport Podium One Piece Leather Suit - Black/Red/Gunmetal - 54
(CO1754) - CLEARANCE

the tag on the suit itself just says 54....would there be any other markings to show as a Euro? I dont think its a 44 or anything really that much smaller as the length of the suit for the legs and the arms are just right....its just super tight! Oh and that little problem without being round enough...
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:44 AM

This might help in finding your correct size:

http://www.agvsport.com/www/jacketssizing.asp

Usually the tag indicates US or EU - if not, maybe that will help you with the return policy.

2011 Suzuki GSXR750
2001 Suzuki GSXR600
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Pretty sure AGV being a European company everything would be labeled for the European market.

Quote:
Q: How do I decide what my size is?
A: Each product has a different sizing chart located when you select the product. You can use the measurements on it to decide the correct size you may need. If you have any questions please contact us at 301-663-4550, or email us at [email protected] to top

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

I have looked around at kneedraggers and I think they only sell US sizes....I plan to call them when they open at 11am to see if they can confirm if it was a US size. I also sent an email to agv to see what they say on the sizing issue..

I gotta believe it is a US size....the 54 Euro is for a guy 5'6-6'0......This suit is way taller than that. That is one aspect it seems taller than the 52 of my buddies.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:12 AM

Sportbike: Track: 08 GSXR 1000; 08 GSXR 1000; 2005 R6 Dirt: 08 CRF 250 06 KLX 110

keep us updated...good luck my man

WWW.TRACKDAYSTORE.COM The only online store where you earn free track time when you make a purchase
WWW.NESBA.COM
Nesba Midwest CR #803
Hix Racing #803
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Chili Champ

Sportbike: yamaha r6
Years Riding: I used to ride...

Send a message via AIM to stive403
Man, I would think a 54 would be plenty big as well. I wear an AGV suit and during this last season I was 6'3" 245 lbs and I had a size 48 suit. It was just about the perfect length in the legs and arms and about right in the torso, but flapped in the wind in my legs and arms. I can't imagine a 54 not fitting... that sucks.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:19 AM

Sportbike: XB12R, H1, TTR125
Years Riding: I still have some money left...
How you found us: old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump1979man View Post
I tried on a buddies set of AGV Podium One Piece leathers and they fit pretty good. I am a big guy, 6'5" 280lbs.
Yeah, you need a 54 US suit easy, if not a little bigger.

I've heard some guys that had leathers custom done by AGV that were way too small. Never too big, but definitely too small.

Stretching them? Um, no. Send 'em back. Start over. They aren't right.

Personally, I use [http://www.vansonleathers.com]Vanson[/url]. You're gonna pay, but at the end of years of service, I still have something to keep as a spare or two, repair, or sell. Look for some used ones. A 54 US.

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
Super Dave's Race Against Childhood Cancer
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I tried on a buddies set of AGV Podium One Piece leathers and they fit pretty good. I am a big guy, 6'5" 280lbs.
Yeah, you need a 54 US suit easy, if not a little bigger.

I've heard some guys that had leathers custom done by AGV that were way too small. Never too big, but definitely too small.

Stretching them? Um, no. Send 'em back. Start over. They aren't right.

Personally, I use Vanson. You're gonna pay, but at the end of years of service, I still have something to keep as a spare or two, repair, or sell. Look for some used ones. A 54 US.

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

called kneedraggers and they said it is a US size......now I am even stumped further as to why the 52 fit and this 54 wont.....

maybe I was just having a fat day.....I will try them on again sometime to see if I lost any "water" weight since.....maybe I'll go hit the sauna then put them on and hope they zip.....then just not take them off.....FOREVER! This truly sucks!

Last edited by Jump1979man; 01-18-2008 at 11:36 AM.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

I'm wondering if since it came off a UPS truck and was really cold out if the leather shrunk up quite a bit.....maybe if I heat the leather it will stretch??? Not like roast it on a fire but just set it next to the furnace vent? I did wait about 3-4 hours of the suit being in my house before I tried it on due to it being cold but maybe that wasnt enough....
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:49 AM

Labeling issues depending upon the market destination?

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
called kneedraggers and they said it is a US size
don't believe everything they tell you...I still think they sent you the wrong size.

WWW.NESBA.COM
Nesba Midwest CR #803
Hix Racing #803
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering if since it came off a UPS truck and was really cold out if the leather shrunk up quite a bit.
If the leather is shrinking as much as what you're portraying, you probably shouldn't be wearing that set of leathers for protection.

Bottomline, you don't have the right size suit.

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRECAT View Post
don't believe everything they tell you...I still think they sent you the wrong size.

I dont think they sell Euro sizes.....I checked their site and all the other suits are labeled as just one size....not two different for US and Euro....I would hope that they are selling all US sizes instead of all Euro sizes.

The thing is, is that the length is definately the right size or close....and the arms are right...just not in the gut. The suit itself seems bigger in length than the 52 of my buddies and the arms seem to be just as long as the 52 too.....

I am going to warm up the suit and then give it another try on tomorrow or something...
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 01:40 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
The thing is, is that the length is definately the right size or close....and the arms are right...just not in the gut. The suit itself seems bigger in length than the 52 of my buddies and the arms seem to be just as long as the 52 too.....
You said in the first post you couldnt even stand up- that would indicate not long enough in the torso (regardless of your gut girth).................

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
You said in the first post you couldnt even stand up- that would indicate not long enough in the torso (regardless of your gut girth).................

No I can stand up in them, just when first trying them on they were tight and I kinda hunched over, like the hunchback of notre dame.....after being in them for a minute or two I was able to stand up......
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 08:16 PM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

If you could get into them and they were tight, I'd say you could stretch them. If you can't get into them, your not even in the ballpark. They will stretch, especially if you ride in the rain.

It's like shopping for pants. Every style, manufacturer and design has it's own cut. I've tried on a 48 and it was fine, but it was for someone taller. I've squeezed into another 48 but couldn't get a spine protector on. My leathers are a 52.

Boots aren't any better. I bought a set of Gaerne boots. Couldn't even start the zipper to go over my calves. Got a pair of Sidi. They zipper, but are a bit loose in the foot area.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 08:46 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Bah lay on the floor and have someone stand on the gut while you zip them up

problem solved

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by code2medic View Post
Bah lay on the floor and have someone stand on the gut while you zip them up

problem solved

That might work....tried them on again today and took some pics to better visualize what the problem is...

I am sitting right now with them on trying to maybe somehow stretch them out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4010203.JPG (69.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg P4010202.JPG (68.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg P4010204.JPG (66.3 KB, 33 views)
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 10:30 AM

Remember that you will probably want to wear a back protector inside there as well.

My vote: give up trying to stretch them and send them back for a different size.

2011 Suzuki GSXR750
2001 Suzuki GSXR600
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc_rr View Post
Remember that you will probably want to wear a back protector inside there as well.

My vote: give up trying to stretch them and send them back for a different size.

Yeah a back protector....was already thinking about that added problem too...

Your probably right....I should just give up on these. Problem is now, I dont even know where or how to begin with finding a size that might fit. Since my friends 52 in this exact same brand and model suit fit, getting the 54 was a no brainer.....at least in my mind. There arent any shops around here that stock these things so its always a mail order type of thing, and the guess work of wondering if they will fit. I dont want to have this same problem again...

Would a leather shop be able to do anything to help you think?
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 11:04 AM

I would get on the phone with customer support before you tried altering them. Have them make sure they are not mislabeled - maybe take some measurements. You paid them, part of that price is customer support - they do this all the time, you can't be the first person to have a suit that doesn't fit. Let them help you. And even if you have to pay to send them back it will still probably be cheaper than having them customized.

2011 Suzuki GSXR750
2001 Suzuki GSXR600
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc_rr View Post
I would get on the phone with customer support before you tried altering them. Have them make sure they are not mislabeled - maybe take some measurements. You paid them, part of that price is customer support - they do this all the time, you can't be the first person to have a suit that doesn't fit. Let them help you. And even if you have to pay to send them back it will still probably be cheaper than having them customized.
I wish I could return them or at the very least exchange them but, Kneedraggers wont take them back....it is there policy to not return or exchange clearance items. When I called them to inquire about the size being US or Euro the guy who answered acted like he didnt really want to help me. He did however seem like he looked it up and asked someone else when he put me on hold to find out that they are US sizing. The girl who was working their live chat session the other day did however help me out and said they would send me the right shoulder CE Armor it was missing when I got the suit. So for that I am happy. So at least whoever ends up with this suit will have everything with it that should come with a brand new suit. I havent got it in the mail yet but hopefully it will arrive.

I was planning on dropping a few pounds this year and this might just be the incentive I needed....who knows, maybe you will see them in the For Sale section soon...

Last edited by Jump1979man; 01-20-2008 at 11:21 AM.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 04:33 PM

Send it back. It looks short. You'll be in better shape with a back protector, and that will make everything worse. It's not going to stretch. This ain't cycle racin' like Lance Armstrong.

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode