old pile/lightweight racer - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Let's boogie!

Sportbike: Proven Winner
Years Riding: Since you were on the teat..
How you found us: The Big Sur Merlot & Mescaline Tasting Tour

old pile/lightweight racer

Since this was the first weekend in a while where my balls didn't make little clinking sounds every time I went outside, I spent some time bolting new parts on the M to race CCS Amateur Lightweight. The first race isn't until the end of April, but I want this thing finished and ready to go by the end of March. I can't even believe how much more shit you gotta do to go racing vs. trackdays. Bike prep, registration, schedule planning, etc. I now have what I need on the bike to have 4&6 set up the suspension, so I'll take it in there this week. The week after that, I'll have the motor checked out and tuned up. Then, I can paint everything, because the most important thing is still looking good... I'm gonna fax my pre-entries tomorrow; then I can start saving again so I can buy all my tires. I also started working out again, but I need to amp that up more. All this and more, just for AMATEUR Lightweight, but if you're gonna do it, might as well give it your all, right? I just hope nothing happens with the bike during the season, because if it does, then it's back to trackdays on the Daytona. Anyway, can you spot the upgrades? Nothing like dropping lotsa bucks on a 13 year old bike, but screw it, I never sell anything anyway. Someday, I guess I'll be like Bert Munro with his Indian...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1919.jpg (79.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1920.jpg (93.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1921.jpg (97.0 KB, 33 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maoisn View Post
There will always be a better ride out there. It's not the bike that bends, it's the rider. There is no spoon.
CCS/ASRA #904

Sponsored by: TeamMCC.com

Yep, still.

Farmboys Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
It's a good looking bike. Here's A little pic I snapped of you at blackhawk last season.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jim.jpg (62.9 KB, 53 views)

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.

Last edited by HDTony; 01-27-2008 at 08:29 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 08:24 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
bad ass stuff

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Let's boogie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
It's a good looking bike. Here's A little pic I snapped of you at blackhawk last season.
Dude, sweet. I look like I'm going fast... the front end was so effed up on that thing this year; I had new fork seals installed and I think they had too much oil in the (non-adjustable) forks, causing too much rebound and topping them out - I couldn't get the bike to turn worth a shit. Or maybe I'm just too used to the Daytona? Anyway, I can't wait to get fast on the M again. I know I can do at least 17's on it at BHF...

Quote:
There will always be a better ride out there. It's not the bike that bends, it's the rider. There is no spoon.
CCS/ASRA #904

Yep, still.

Farmboys Garage
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

10 gigs of pic, and Tony gets one pic of a naked bike. Rep.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy69 View Post
Anyway, can you spot the upgrades?
forks, look like sbk forks. rims for sure. rear brake and lines too?

Chris
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:48 AM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

You are going to smoke everyone in Amatuer lightweight bro. Cool bike, what is it a 1000? Are you going to run full plastic? I think at the bare minimum you have to run a belly pan that holds a certain amount of oil. Run it naked with a belly pan. BLAP BLAP!

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
. Cool bike, what is it a 1000?
m900

Chris
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
m900
He should be able to get a solid 85 hp out of that thing with the rite mods.

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Let's boogie!

Ok, answer time. Yep, 996 Ti-Nitride forks and calipers - CycleCat made a conversion billet top triple which makes these a bolt-on mod. Funny thing is, you can get the superbike forks for roughly half of what a set of SP adjustable forks go for, and the superbike forks are way better. Of course, you then also need new a new axle and calipers, but the 65 mm calipers are way better also. So far, the front end conversion has cost roughly a Gee. I don't yet know if I need springs or not, but I won't need to revalve these as they're plenty good enuff for the M, especially compared to the stockers.

Obviously, the wheels are new, Marchesini forged magnesium 10 spokers. Ouch. Crazy shit for this pile, but it's only money, right? Besides, noone in the country had an aluminum set. In fact, I think these are the last set of magnesium rims that'll show up stateside any time soon, at least for this app. Also, like all my shit, someday these will be worth more than I paid for them, at least if I don't wad them up in a little ball first.

The pic of the rear was just to show the rotor, I had MCC drill the poop out of it. If anyone has a Duc SS/M rotor they want drilled, just drop it off - I already paid for the tooling. You can thank me later. I also already have a carbon belly pan, just not on the bike. I just wanted to get the thing together to have 4&6 shoot the suspension. I have the new wheels in the basement because I bought a new set of tires to have the bike measured, and I don't want to leave them in my unheated garage. Like I said, the logistics of this endeavor are a total pain in the ass.

The motor is already built - It's a 940 with higher comp. (11.5ish, I think), oversize valves, port/polish, flat slides, flywheel, clutch, etc. I figure it definitely makes right around 85hp, and it's pretty reliable, too. I'm not worried about power, I just need the bike to turn half as well as the Daytona and I'm in the hunt, and I'm pretty sure we can make it do so. Obviously, I can't run Supersport, and I'm one year shy of F40, so it's Superbike, Thundertwins, GTLights, and Lightweight GP. I was thinking about Supertwins, but I don't know if I can run with the 999s. Any thoughts? Did CCS run Supertwins @ RA last year? Because I know I can't keep up there; top speed on the M has to be only around 140 MPH, and that ain't gonna git her done. I'm still thinking about it, but 4 classes should be OK.

Grasshopper, your statement makes me happy, as I'm guessing you won't be racing in my class. I'm hoping to do well, but if anyone like yourself or Wink shows up and decides to play around on their SVs, than I'll be racing for a podium finish. But hey, that's racing, right? Still, stay away, dude. Oh, and I'm running her naked , for sure. Naked + old bike + old dude + itsaDucati + possible good finishes = thekindofchallengeIfindveryappeallingcauseI'manidi ot.

And Mopar, how many weekends you running, and what classes? You probably posted previously, but I'm not on so much.

Oh, and I'm totally stoked to ride the M since it'll be like a new bike. Hopefully, I'll ride it well enough to further illustrate the fact that the hardware isn't so important as the rider....(Big nod to the Grasshoppah and Wink, among others...)

Quote:
CCS/ASRA #904

Yep, still.

Farmboys Garage

Last edited by Farmboy69; 01-28-2008 at 02:48 PM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Forged Mags? NICE.

I might join you for a few of the races at BHF in LWSB, and supertwins on the KTM SMR and 749, respectively. I like running the former because of the "thekindofchallengeIfindveryappeallingcauseI'manidi ot" factor.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.

Last edited by Rob, Esq.; 01-28-2008 at 03:02 PM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Let's boogie!

Yesh. Over 11 pounds of weight lost over the stockers. Yippee.

Rob, any thoughts on the M in supertwins? Did they run that class at RA? I couldn't find any times from last year. The times I found from other tracks looked doable, though. And I thought you were gonna try out a 675...

Quote:
CCS/ASRA #904

Yep, still.

Farmboys Garage

Last edited by Farmboy69; 01-28-2008 at 02:58 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Failed rehab

Quote:
Rob, any thoughts on the M in supertwins? Did they run that class at RA? I couldn't find any times from last year. The times I found from other tracks looked doable, though. And I thought you were gonna try out a 675...
They did I think Dave Satermo won Supertwins at RA on his Mille. He was in the 2:35-36 range. Your monster might have a hard time since its such a HP/aeros tracks.

I'd like to try the 675, but I think john decided to keep it instead of the trade. I already have all kinds of spares for the 749, so it saves me from having to rebuild the program with all new stuff.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:03 PM

Supertwins you should be Ok at smaller tracks like Blackhawk, but you'll find yourself in trouble at RA. When you race that thing at RA you will want the biggest front and smallest rear sprockets your motor will pull because its just wide fucking open everywhere at that joint.

I'll pop my head into the CCS scene here and there this year. I'm still not sure what the year of 2008 will bring when it comes to track days for me. A lot is up in the air between work and other things. We'll see. I'm concentrating rite now on running some flat track. The SV Superbike is pretty much back together, but I'll be running expert, so the only way you'll catch me is if I crash my shit.

Good luck out there brother. You're a good rider and if you're pocket book can handle it I'm sure you'll be able to walk away with a couple amatuer championships this year. If you're first in points in the midwest head down to Daytona and run the race of champions at the end of the year. I'll be rooting for you.

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division

Last edited by Grasshopper; 01-28-2008 at 03:07 PM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Let's boogie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
.. and if you're pocket book can handle it..
I'm trying. Of course, the front caliper on my truck locked up while I was driving around today, so there's that. I just put all kindz of shiznit on Ebay, and I might have to raid savings, but I will not use the plastic to finance this effort. Shit, I might have to start doing side work, which in turn just might break this camel's back.

Quote:
CCS/ASRA #904

Yep, still.

Farmboys Garage
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Let's boogie!

Or, I could sell a bike. ARGHH>(thud)

Quote:
CCS/ASRA #904

Yep, still.

Farmboys Garage
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:22 PM

Jim, this past winter I have come to terms with myself. Yes, this is a very expensive sport. Yes it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on. But some people (believe it or not) don't have fun. They take it too seriously. If you go and chase that championship be prepared that it "WILL NOT" be fun the entire time. Ask Marshall all about it. We sat back and had about 10 beers talking about his championships at Grattan last year. It won't be as intense in Lightweight but there will be others out there chasing the same thing you are. There will be last second parts chasing, last minute tire mounting, last minute HOLY SHIT I have to put my bike back together or do this or do that. Collect all the spares you can rite now. Rear sets, controls, calipers, brake pads, wheels, chains, sprockets even a spare motor if you have one laying around. Try and go out and have fun, but be prepared for the worst. Don't lets some little bullshit thing like a chain or brake lever stop you from finishing a weekend and getting points.

If you're really going to chase a championship, this is all a reality.

Or you can do what I did my last year racing amatuer. Show up the last 2 CCS weekends and smoke everyone thats winning the points lead. Even though you don't have a chance and you're not going to affect their points chase, it's still fun to go out there and AND LET EM HAVE IT!!! LOL!!!

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division

Last edited by Grasshopper; 01-28-2008 at 03:24 PM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Let's boogie!

Um, I don't know if I totally agree with you. Didn't you ever boink a chick with just your fly open?

Seriously, though, believe me, I'm not taking this too seriously. Only as serious as track days, so, serious, but not dead serious. It's all for fun. I could crash, the bike could break, somebody can cherry pick, etc, etc. And I remember talking to Marshall after he won everything, and what did he do? He went back to track days, because at 39 years old, you will never have a career in racing. Still, I will try my best, because it is in my nature to do so. But I hear you, really. Dude, you know me at the track. Happy as a pig in shit, except for when I get asspacked...

Quote:
CCS/ASRA #904

Yep, still.

Farmboys Garage
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Failed rehab

Quote:
Um, I don't know if I totally agree with you. Didn't you ever boink a chick with just your fly open?

Seriously, though, believe me, I'm not taking this too seriously. Only as serious as track days, so, serious, but not dead serious. It's all for fun. I could crash, the bike could break, somebody can cherry pick, etc, etc. And I remember talking to Marshall after he won everything, and what did he do? He went back to track days, because at 39 years old, you will never have a career in racing. Still, I will try my best, because it is in my nature to do so. But I hear you, really. Dude, you know me at the track. Happy as a pig in shit, except for when I get asspacked...
Hahaha, you said "boink"

Grasshopper makes some good points. The environment is much more intense, and with that all the good and bad things that intensity brings.

Racing takes things to a different level. When everything works, I'm happier than a pig in shit for sure. When it doesn't, its abso-freakin-lutely maddening.
Getting ass packed at a trackday isn't nearly as bad as getting taken out of a race in my experience. I've had both happen. With a trackday, you lose some tracktime, maybe get injured. At a race, there are those conerns PLUS losing points, losing contigency, entry fees, and there isn't much track time to begin with.

And he's on point with the spares. I've got a decent spares kit, but I'm looking at buying a spare frame and perhaps even a motor, especially if I want to chase a championship. In fact, a "B" bike is almost essential because you can't afford to miss out on ANY points, and shit happens.

That all said, it can be ALOT of fun. Track days almost seem boring in comparison.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Let's boogie!

[QUOTE=Rob;1003063] In fact, a "B" bike is almost essential because you can't afford to miss out on ANY points, and shit happens.

QUOTE]

Yeah, I already have a "B" bike. And a "C" bike. Unfortunately, they belong in different classes. If something happens, then it's back to track days, and hopefully, I'll try again next year. No biggie. Life is uncertainty. Oh, and I love how you guys build me up and then tear me right back down again. Sadistic fuckers.

Quote:
CCS/ASRA #904

Yep, still.

Farmboys Garage
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Failed rehab

[QUOTE=Farmboy69;1003087]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
In fact, a "B" bike is almost essential because you can't afford to miss out on ANY points, and shit happens.

QUOTE]

Yeah, I already have a "B" bike. And a "C" bike. Unfortunately, they belong in different classes. If something happens, then it's back to track days, and hopefully, I'll try again next year. No biggie. Life is uncertainty. Oh, and I love how you guys build me up and then tear me right back down again. Sadistic fuckers.

You should be fine, LW isn't too rowdy, and you've got a pretty level head on track. Just offering some perspective.
Like G-hoppa was saying, be careful not to let it consume you to the point of not having fun with it. Chasing a championship seems to be what takes the fun out of it for alot of racers, and thats something to be aware of.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode