Mopar's BHF race results 7/26-7/27 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Mopar's BHF race results 7/26-7/27

It was a roller coaster of a few weeks before this event just to get the bike back together from its destruction at Road America. And it didn't even stop when i left for the track. I arrived at BHF at around 8pm on Friday night knowing i had to remove the entire exhaust and extract a broken exhaust stud in the cylinder head before i could race. It wasn't too hard, but a lot of work and bug bites later, the bike was officially "ready to go". Before the weekend I had decided i wanted to switch to a 190 rear tire for the improved traction at lean angle.

Practice #1:

only did a quick few laps as it was still damp out, but the bike felt GOOD. I actually was rolling thru turn 5 and i looked down at the bike to make sure it was really mine and i didn't get on someones. LOL

Practice #2:

I was REALLY happy with the bike, it was feeling great in all the turns. Traffic was a little more than i had hoped so i decided to just roll at about 90-95% for practice. I came in and checked the lap times; a best of 1:15.0 I was very impressed, i have never run that fast in a practice, and i knew i wasn't even really pushing it.

GTU;

I was ready, the bike was feeling great, i was on the front row, i was ready to GO. green dropped and i was off. first into turn one, bike felt strong, fast, and on rails, kept the lead till Turn 7 when #272 came by. He is fast, i knew he would pass me, so i decided to just try and stay with him. I kept him in my sights for 5-6 laps and i just was getting burned out, i was getting tired fast. just as i thought this in my head, #291 came by me on the brakes in turn 1. DAMMIT! my mind switched back into pursuit mode. i started to chase him down, took me a lap or 2 to get on his rear again, but i was there, and staying with him, trying to stick my nose in a few spots i figured he knew i was on him. finally i saw we had started to catch lap traffic, i knew i was good thru traffic and this was my chance. So coming out of Turn 5 into 6, we were coming up on some guy. #291 got on the brakes just a little bit early and i went by them both on the inside of Turn 6, woo hoo! i held that throttle wide open to try and put a gap between us. 2 more laps and my arms are now on fire, i was begging for the white flag, but no. then with about 3 laps to go he went by me again in Turn 1. I was so beat down i just could not do it anymore, i just let him go, I was happy with staying in 3rd and my body just coun't take it, i was making mistakes, missing apexs and not getting my body off the bike like i should have to run that pace. white flag came out and i decided to push to see if i could catch him. i started to reel him back in, but it wasn't enough, 3rd place. I did however run consistent 1:14s with a best of 1:14.2

Middleweight GP;

I was once again, ready to rock and on the front row. green dropped and BAM! I pulled the hole shot again, but right as it started to top out first gear the front end came up quick, and high, i banged second gear and got the front down, still made it first into Turn 1. again going into Turn 7, #272 got in front of me, i tried to hang with him again and again i got beat out going into turn 1. I really need to learn my braking better. come around again and more people go by me in Turn 1. i ended up in 4th place and just stayed there the rest of the race. pretty uneventful and i was a bit disspointed.

Middleweight SuperSport;

After a great practice again on Sunday morning, i was ready to do battle again. i was still feeling really good about the bike. thru on another set of 190s and went out ready to fight. But the helmet gods were not having it. The 3rd call for this race and i was geared up and heading thru the pits to the track, pushed down my visor and POP! it came right off. As fast as i could i turned around and drove back over to my pit. thankfully people near me saw my problem and ran into my trailer to grab my backup helmet, thru it on my head and away i went. i had to get on track before they closed the grid, i was on the front row! i speed as fast as i could back to the track and i just made it onto the track for the warm-up lap, but everyone else was over half a lap ahead of me, so i had to push it hard, it was the fastest warm up lap ever. i am willing to bet i ran a solid 1:17 on that lap, LOL. As i came blazing around the last turn i could see everyone was already gridded and the 3 board was still up. i came blasting thru everyone heading for the front row before the 2 board came out. at about the 3rd row i started to brake and just had a nice stoppie all the way into my grid spot, dropped the rear end, bike already in first gear i was ready to go. everyone around me had this stunned looks, but i was laughing inside my helmet. Green dropped i got a great start and i was #1 going into turn 1. Erik #272 passed me on the first lap and I knew i had to keep on him so i could leave the rest of the pack in our dust and stay on him i did. I kept up with him thru the first and second laps, on lap 3 he started to pull away just a bit when as we came into Turn 4, BOOM, he lowsided right in front of me. It was minor and he just slide on his back so i knew he would be ok. At this point, i was the lead dog, i knew i had to push as hard as i could to stay in front cause it was only lap 3 and this was an 8 lap race. As i ran thru turn 5 i felt REALLY good, on the brakes for 6, felt great, leaned it in, felt great, right at the apex, i knew it was all over, i was on my side and the bike was sliding away from me, i had just lost the front tire and was headed for the gravel, as i was sliding i was so mad at myself for just crashing out of first place! the bike was damaged but repairable.

Middleweight SuperBike;

After getting the bike patched up and back ready to run my mind was shaken about the bike. i decided i'm gonna go out there and run it safe. i got a horrible start and was 5th going into turn 1, (again i was in the front row) i watched as everyone in front of me got smaller and smaller. 4 laps down i noticed i was starting to catch someone, so this bought back my need to hunt, i chased him down like he was a mouse and as we came into the bus stop i made my move to the inside and over took him. i was so happy that i at least made a pass. as we came down the main straight the white flag came out, i got on the brakes WAY too early and yelled at myself in my helmet at the exact time he went by me. i knew i had 6 more turns to catch him. i reeled him in by turn 3 and was gonna make my pass in turn 4, but it didn't work out, so one more shot in turn 6, as we came up to it, i was on the outside and he was at about mid track, i knew this would make his exit speed less so i slowed up to square off the turn and i figured i would be on his inside as we exited the turn. this all worked out but i started to get on the throttle hard and it was pushing the front on the exit. my front tire made contact with his rear tire before we had even completed the turn, so i grabbed front brakes and ran off the track, it didn't slow me down though, i got the bike slowed down enough i could get it turned and get back on track, i had a enough gap on the #6 place bike i was able to get back on track and stay in front of him as we rounded turn 7 and onto the checker... 5th place.

I have to give a HUGE thanks to everyone who helped me out this weekend; Jim, Greg, Rich, Jon, Andrew, Smiley plus others all you guys helped me out so much after the crash getting the bike ready for the last race, if i forgot anyone who helped me repair it i'm sorry, there was so many hands tearing apart my bike and getting it back together i didn't even have time to see you all. And of course thanks to Alison who was my helper for the weekend whos help was completely invaluable.

also a big thanks to Dustin from Cyclepath for getting my tires done in time, and even larger thanks to Fred from NESBA who without him i would have been still searching ebay for parts to get me to the track.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye

Last edited by MoparBoyy; 07-29-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 11:11 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Nice writeup Alex. Sounds like an eventful weekend! Let me know when you're ready to take me up on my offer to manage your racing and get you some funds and gear. My usual fees of 50% will of course apply.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 11:26 PM
El Burrito Volador

Sportbike: 05 GSXR600 / 04 GSXR600
Years Riding: I'm a rookie.
How you found us: NESBA

Great write up, Alex. It's almost like I was there

Keep up the good work, man. This season has been a blast racing with you

Erik
05 GSXR600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 11:39 PM
that punk kid

Sportbike: '05 ZX-6R (636)
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to AdrenalinJunkie Send a message via Skype™ to AdrenalinJunkie
u suck

how all is well mr. mopar

Adrenalin Junkie
- '05 Suzuki GSXR 1000
- ** retired ** '05 Kawasaki ZX-6R
- NESBA "A" #616
- Founder/President - Creatix, Inc.
- Founder - BartendChicago - BartendChicago.com

Wikipedia - Adrenaline Junkie - An adrenaline junkie is somebody who feels as if they are addicted to adrenaline. Adrenaline junkies may enjoy competing in extreme sports like skydiving, surfing, motorcycle racing, or anything else that gets their heart rate up. This sort of addiction is brought on by enjoying the (adrenaline) "rush" gained from these activities.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 06:06 AM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Good job man!!!!!!!

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 06:55 AM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
What the hell no thanks to the guy who got the spools on all your hoopty swingarms???? I see how it goes, next time I am welding brake levers to it.

Ian
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

o yeah thanks to Ian for welding up swingarms.. i have apperantly forgot a bunch of people.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 07:38 AM
I wok!

Sportbike: 2006 felt f65 and a 07 STI
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: wtf is this shit...

nice work! maybe put the finishing place next to the classes for easy cliff note reading?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 07:58 AM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Racing View Post
What the hell no thanks to the guy who got the spools on all your hoopty swingarms???? I see how it goes, next time I am welding brake levers to it.
Oh don't even start. Remembering me in that thing was an afterthought entitled "Last edited by MoparBoyy : Today at 12:17 AM."
It's atrocious. Next time he can race with the darm tire warmers ON, and upon his return he can warm have piss in place of ice-cold gatorade
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:02 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Excellent write-up Alex.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:05 AM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_ag View Post
Oh don't even start. Remembering me in that thing was an afterthought entitled "Last edited by MoparBoyy : Today at 12:17 AM."
It's atrocious. Next time he can race with the darm tire warmers ON, and upon his return he can warm have piss in place of ice-cold gatorade

BAHAHAHA. Got to do everything for him.

Ian
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:10 AM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Racing View Post
BAHAHAHA. Got to do everything for him.
"helper" makes it sound like "dumb annoying girl who doesn't know anything about bikes but sure can fetch bottled water"
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Back on 2 wheels

Sportbike: Bikes with pedals
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: sportbikes.net

Send a message via AIM to cruzr180 Send a message via Yahoo to cruzr180
Don't forget me. I was the one that broke your mopar chair. haha

Josh
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_ag View Post
"helper" makes it sound like "dumb annoying girl who doesn't know anything about bikes but sure can fetch bottled water"
you did more than that, and thank you

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Back on 2 wheels

Sportbike: Bikes with pedals
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: sportbikes.net

Send a message via AIM to cruzr180 Send a message via Yahoo to cruzr180
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparBoyy View Post
you did more than that, and thank you
pics?

Josh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode