Apex 2 Apex track day? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Talking Apex 2 Apex track day?

Ok, I guess I've caught the addiction. [edit:] Damn, this is going to get expensive!

Trying to get in one more track day before my schedule goes to crap for the fall with work, school and other commitments. Found an Apex2Apex day at Grattan on Monday the 25th that I might be able to make (take day off from work). I've done 3 track days with NESBA, but don't know much about the apex2apex organization. Anyone here ever attend their track days? Are they well run? Any safety concerns? Crowded or lightly attended? Good people? Comments, Opinions? Feel free to PM if you don't want to make public comments.

Thanks
Craig

Craig

Last edited by beac83; 08-12-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Defender of the Innocent

Sportbike: Simon and Garfunkel
Years Riding: over a decade
How you found us: YZFRob

I'd suggest to check out sportbiketracktime.com as well. they have a variety of track days in the area and an excellent novice instruction.

Tea Palella
Midwest Instructor

SportbikeTrackTime - SportbikeTrackGear - SportbikeTrackGirl

IMMIGracing
CCS #56 - Arlen Ness Racing, Hindle, Silkolene, Suomy, Woodcraft, Vortex, Sharkskinz, PopShadow, TrackdayMag.com, Cyclepath Racing
ChicagoLand Bikers.com
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

STT's site and posts about it here make it sound desirable. Alas, the schedules don't line up with what time I can manage.

I've looked at the schedules for STT, PTT, and NESBA for the rest of the season and right now the only date/location that seems possible for me before mid-October is Aug 25th. Lots of stuff needing my attention at work and home for the next several months.

Also planning on Putnam for Sunday, October 19th with NESBA. My Saturday class makes it impossible to do the whole weekend. Sure hope that is a warm day. October can get cold and wet in central Indiana.

And I am asking these questions because I'm very much a novice/beginner level track rider. Just trying to get a feel for the kind of group A2A is.

Craig

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beac83 View Post
STT's site and posts about it here make it sound desirable. Alas, the schedules don't line up with what time I can manage.

I've looked at the schedules for STT, PTT, and NESBA for the rest of the season and right now the only date/location that seems possible for me before mid-October is Aug 25th. Lots of stuff needing my attention at work and home for the next several months.

Also planning on Putnam for Sunday, October 19th with NESBA. My Saturday class makes it impossible to do the whole weekend. Sure hope that is a warm day. October can get cold and wet in central Indiana.

And I am asking these questions because I'm very much a novice/beginner level track rider. Just trying to get a feel for the kind of group A2A is.

I've ridden with them before. Can't say anything bad.

However, they don't really have the structure and instruction that an STT beginner group would. The B group with them is like a track 101 course. You don't really get that with the other orgs. NESBA or PTT if you ask for it, but much less structure. From what I recall, A2A doesn't offer any coaching, though they might have changed that.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Defender of the Innocent

Sportbike: Simon and Garfunkel
Years Riding: over a decade
How you found us: YZFRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I've ridden with them before. Can't say anything bad.

However, they don't really have the structure and instruction that an STT beginner group would. The B group with them is like a track 101 course. You don't really get that with the other orgs. NESBA or PTT if you ask for it, but much less structure. From what I recall, A2A doesn't offer any coaching, though they might have changed that.
they offer coaching for extra $.

i've done a2a this year and it was ok considering i've been thru some track days before. for a very novice rider though, i would recommend either of the above three organizations.
a2a was a bit chaotic, but as i said it didn't bother me.
they tried running novice like STT, but that didn't really work out well at all.

another thing to consider is, if you haven't been to grattan, i'd definitely search for org with lots of organization and instruction. from what i hear, grattan is extra technical and you'll need someone to show you around if you haven't been there before.

Tea Palella
Midwest Instructor

SportbikeTrackTime - SportbikeTrackGear - SportbikeTrackGirl

IMMIGracing
CCS #56 - Arlen Ness Racing, Hindle, Silkolene, Suomy, Woodcraft, Vortex, Sharkskinz, PopShadow, TrackdayMag.com, Cyclepath Racing
ChicagoLand Bikers.com
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergirl View Post
they offer coaching for extra $.

i've done a2a this year and it was ok considering i've been thru some track days before. for a very novice rider though, i would recommend either of the above three organizations.
a2a was a bit chaotic, but as i said it didn't bother me.
they tried running novice like STT, but that didn't really work out well at all.

another thing to consider is, if you haven't been to grattan, i'd definitely search for org with lots of organization and instruction. from what i hear, grattan is extra technical and you'll need someone to show you around if you haven't been there before.
Yeah, Grattan is......interesting.

A wise man once told me: "If you can go fast at Grattan, you can go fast anywhere"

It definitely throws a lot more at you than Blackhawk or Autobahn, for sure.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode