Mopar's BHF race results 8/23-24 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Mopar's BHF race results 8/23-24

the short;

2nd place - Middleweight GP
3rd place - GTU
2nd place - Middleweight SuperSport
3rd place - Middleweight SuperBike

the long;

Woke up Saturday morning to just horrible weather. it was overcast and the clouds were not looking happy. just as practice was looking to start, it started to rain. i was skipping practice. the rain came on and off for the next few hours, hoping that the skys would clear. finally around noon, they did, the sun started to poke out and the track was drying out.

GP - Starting from the pole, getting zero practice, the rain and being on old tires i was not feeling great about this race. i wasn't too concerned cause i was just gonna use it as practice before the GTU anyways. the track was decent but still felt 'green' on the warm up lap. green flag drops and i almost killed the bike, i got a horrible start and was 5th going into turn one. I quickly made it past #4 guy to get up behind #276, i stayed back for a lap just feeling everything out, bike felt good, and the 3 bikes in front of me were not checking out. i knew i could do this. So into turn 6, i passed Jon Gu on the inside, and took off after the next two bikes. I saw that #291 was in front followed by #405, the #405 bike was looking frustrated he tried to make a few passes and they were just not sticking, i felt like this was all slowing me down and i knew i could get them both. So again, on the inside of turn 6, i made my move on #405. next lap around i closed in on #291, we came into the bus stop and i moved to the inside and got him as we dove in. came out and i was feeling great, nothing but clear track in front of me and i could see #272 out in the distance. turned onto the main straight and the white flag, sweet, i'm gonna take second. as i get on the brakes way too early into turn one. #291 comes right by me on the inside. i couldn't believe i just let that happen. So I quick thought i could get him in 6 or bus stop again. i had to try. going into the bus stop i figured he would run the defensive line but nope, i dove on the inside at the last second and took my #2 spot back. as we rounded going into the last turn i knew he was on me. so i checked up just a little going into the turn, and went in, hoping that would kill his drive on me. it was a drag race down the straight away and my little F4i was able to stay in front. 2nd place

GTU - This race is one of my favorites its a short endurance of 25 mins and it gives you more time than a sprint but not exhausting like a 75 lap race. At BHF it ends up being 18 laps. I was starting from the pole yet again and new i could not pooch the start. green drops and i get the whole shot once again. i'm off and feeling good about the way the bike is handling. I led all of the first lap till #272 came by into turn 1. I knew Turn #1 was my weakness so i ran a defensive line going in every time trying to hold off #291 about 4 laps in, i didn't run the line cause i thought i had gapped him, and he goes by me into turn 1. we complete one more lap and as we are coming into the bus stop there is a red flag, Jon Gu had crashed. he was up and ok. we had to restart the race. i restarted from #3 spot. When ever there is a restarted race i never seem to get my head back in the game. but this was my chance to get back in front of #291. Green drops again and i get the hole shot one more time. #272 comes by me going into turn 2. i try and stick behind him and make a lead away from #291. its not happening, my head/body just could not get the bike to turn. it just didn't' feel right. I'm not sure when it happened by #291 came by me, i was now in 3rd. i started pushing after him but still was not feeling great about the bike. i checked back going down the main straight and there was not a bike in site. so i decided to back down, and finish the race in 3rd.

Sunday -

SuperSport - i did not practice in the morning cause it was early and i was tired. i was starting this race from the #2 spot. when the green dropped i again got the hole shot. i led for almost 2 whole laps till #272 came by me going into the last turn. I was still in 2nd, i decided to just push and keep the people behind me. about half way thru the race i checked back and saw i had a decent lead on #291 behind me. i might have mentally backed down a little bit but still tried to push my hardest. on the very last lap going into turn 6, i could hear his engine behind me. i knew he was gonna try for the drag race down the straight as his bike is more powerful than mine. So i pushed hard. As I approached turn 7 (final turn) i got on the brakes in my normal spot, down shifted twice like i always do and BOOM! I felt something hit me from behind, half a second later BOOM again this time WAY worse and it was just pushing me forward off the track. i checked back quickly and noticed that #291 bike was jammed in the rear of mine!!! i was still upright and down shifted the rest of the gears, i looked and saw the 4th place bike coming down into turn 7, so i decided i was gonna try and finish with this bike on me. I took off down the straight with my bike, and the fairing of the #291 bike jammed between my tire and sub frame. I looked up and saw the checkered flag and the black flag at the same time, i checked back and noticed i was POURING smoke from my rear tire, i knew it wasn't oil so i just stayed in the throttle, crossed the finish line then pulled off the track. i still claimed 2nd place.

SuperBike - the rear tire, tail and exhaust got damaged from the last race and i didn't want to burn a new set of tires on just one race, so i decided to go out anyways. I was starting from the #1 spot. Green dropped and the hole shot was mine again. I led about half the first lap when #272 came by me again. i was not feeling happy about my bike under me. i ran what felt comfortable but it wasn't fast. on the last lap i was still in 2nd place when #405 came by me going into turn 6, i wasn't happy, it was a great pass by him and i knew i was faster but i just wasn't in it. i finished the race in 3rd.

it was all and all a great weekend, it was the first time i finished with all 4 podiums but i wasn't that thrilled, i had some highs and lows, but didn't feel i ran the best races i could. i know what i need to work on skills wise and will be heading back to Blackhawk this weekend to sort them out.

next race is Sept 7th which i will be missing, but i will be at BHF for the final race of the series on Sept 27-28th.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

Nice work getting back out there and on to the podium!

Track Junkie #79
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 09:31 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Dude! Tell me there are pics of you crossing the stripe with someone else's nose in your wheel.

Great write up - good results!

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
awesome!!!

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:03 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Kick ass write up, Alex. I cant believe the guy's fairing was stuck in your bike. Did you ever give it back to him?

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Congrats Alex.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:50 AM
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

Sounds like a very good weekend for you. Congrats!

Mike

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 11:03 AM
El Burrito Volador

Sportbike: 05 GSXR600 / 04 GSXR600
Years Riding: I'm a rookie.
How you found us: NESBA

Great racing, Alex! Way to finish the weekend strong despite the close call.

Erik
05 GSXR600
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Dude! Tell me there are pics of you crossing the stripe with someone else's nose in your wheel.

Great write up - good results!
i saw a guy with a CCS shirt on and a video camera up on the tower.. hopefully he has it.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:16 PM
El Burrito Volador

Sportbike: 05 GSXR600 / 04 GSXR600
Years Riding: I'm a rookie.
How you found us: NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparBoyy View Post
i saw a guy with a CCS shirt on and a video camera up on the tower.. hopefully he has it.
I believe it's only used during race starts.

Erik
05 GSXR600
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:27 PM

Sportbike: N/A
Years Riding: N/A
How you found us: N/A

I didn't have a camera, but was standing at the finish line when he flew by blowing smoke. This was my first time at a actual track period, and I can say, I defintely want to get into it and become more than just a spectator.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Frost View Post
I didn't have a camera, but was standing at the finish line when he flew by blowing smoke. This was my first time at a actual track period, and I can say, I defintely want to get into it and become more than just a spectator.
no kidding?!!?!?!?!

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 09:58 AM

Yeah, you flew by so damned fast I couldn't see the plastic, but clearly saw the trail of thick smoke and the track officials were all freaking out pointing at you pulling over I think after you crossed the finish line. Some people standing around the finish line probably thought like the officials and thought it was something mechanical, and people were like, "Wow, he was determined to finish even if it cost him a motor!"

Last edited by Big Frost; 08-28-2008 at 10:00 AM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

at first i thought the motor was blown.. i didn't care. i was finishing that race in second. i figured if it was broke, it was gonna be broke when i crossed the line anyways.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 09:47 PM

Ha ha, dedication, thats awesome!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 12:31 PM

Congrats!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode