Aprilla 125 fans - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Go ahead, I'll catch up

Sportbike: 2013 RM-Z 250
Years Riding: Don't know anymore
How you found us: Saw a sticker on a bike

Aprilla 125 fans

Here is some news on the Aprilla 125 track bike.

http://www.roadracerx.com/quickrelea...isplay_id=7551

Take care and ride safe,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 02:44 PM
i need a new bike, this one is trashed

Sportbike: Yammies
Years Riding: A few
How you found us: fellow rider

time to start loosing weight....I am getting one for the 2010 track season.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 03:33 PM

Sportbike: nada
Years Riding: 18
How you found us: No idea

Send a message via AIM to Nexus
Always been a fan of watching 125s since the Dark Horse Racing guys were at the track...

On a bike like this Aprilia how much maintenance would you be looking at? Let's say you bought the bike only for trackdays...not racing. What type of regular maintenance would you be doing. For the same price a SV could be bought with zero maintenance but the 125s are "cooler" :P

Last edited by Nexus; 10-16-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 03:39 PM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
Always been a fan of watching 125s since the Dark Horse Racing guys were at the track...

On a bike like this Aprilia how much maintenance would you be looking at? Let's say you bought the bike only for trackdays...not racing. What type of regular maintenance would you be doing. For the same price a SV could be bought with zero maintenance but the 125s are "cooler" :P

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=163252

think of it as a 125 version of the Aprilia cup bike. Almost no maintenance unless you start fucking with it. Maybe a top end every year and a crank every other?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
think of it as a 125 version of the Aprilia cup bike. Almost no maintenance unless you start fucking with it. Maybe a top end every year and a crank every other?
Hey what's up 250 guy :P

So if you just left the tuning alone and only rode trackdays you really just looking at tires, fuel, brake pads? I've never owned a 2-stroke so I have no idea what a topend/crank even runs.

They seem like fun bikes for the $$.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 06:44 PM

Sportbike: Half an SV 650
Years Riding: '07
How you found us: CLSB found me

sweet! i thought they were only offering these bikes in the US to jr. club racers

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 06:56 PM
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbizx View Post
sweet! i thought they were only offering these bikes in the US to jr. club racers
Nope, anyone can buy one. Their just not street legal.

Mike

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:38 AM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
Hey what's up 250 guy :P

So if you just left the tuning alone and only rode trackdays you really just looking at tires, fuel, brake pads? I've never owned a 2-stroke so I have no idea what a topend/crank even runs.

They seem like fun bikes for the $$.
In my opinion its not a bike you would want for track days without prior 2 stroke knowledge. If you go out at a typical track day and try and play the point and shoot, corner camper game that 90% of people do you will not be happy. To ride that bike correctly it's all about keeping your momentum going and carrying more corner speed than you can imagine. The bike will make absolutely no torque AT ALL and will not go very fast in a straight line either. The little 125s and even the 250s shine in the corners and I'm talking about crazy corner speed. Do you really want to learn how to ride a 2 stroke at a track day with people on 600s and 1000s that can camp out in the corners, throw out the boat anchor and still go way faster? If you can keep your ego in check and not care about everyone passing you regardless of ability you will be ok. But unless if you have a friend to play with who has the same type of bike you will more than likely get discouraged because there won't be anyone to play with.

Yes it is a very cool machine. But it has it's purpose and has to be used correctly to go fast on. The only way to know is ride one yourself. But I can tell you this, if you don't ride it correctly you will have trouble. If you ride it at too low of an RPM you will load the plug up, if you scream it too much you will blow the top end. I can tell you all this shit but the only way you will know is if you buy one yourself. I've owned several 2 stroke dirtbikes and understand how they work and make power. I've riden a few different GP 2 stroke bikes at the track and they are a total different animal than a typical inline 4 or twin 4 stroke. The power curve on a 2 stroke is way shorter and defined than a 4 stroke. You have to carry stupid corner speed to ride that thing half way fast. Stupid corner speed.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com

Last edited by Grasshopper; 10-21-2008 at 11:41 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:50 AM
i need a new bike, this one is trashed

Sportbike: Yammies
Years Riding: A few
How you found us: fellow rider

You won't know if it's for you or not unless you try it. Either you'll love it or really hate it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwingop View Post
You won't know if it's for you or not unless you try it. Either you'll love it or really hate it.
More like you either know how to ride it correctly or you don't. If you can ride it correctly you will love it. If you can't ride it you will hate it.

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:40 PM

Sportbike: Honda RS 125
Years Riding: just starting to learn
How you found us: accidentally

Next season will be my first on a two stroke. I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.

-Jaime

RIP Ashwin 788
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 12:29 AM
1 piece at a time

Sportbike: Ninja ZX-6'DinoSaki'
Years Riding: Since I joined!
How you found us: teh intarwebz

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
I'd love to get one of those!

I'm just wondering, are they pre-packaged to run on the track? I'm assuming since it's 2-stroke, like dirtbikes would require work on the engine at every ? hour interval?

- Steve
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 06:01 AM

This is a good data sheet to keep tabs on your machine during every track day / race day.
Attached Files
File Type: doc TuningAndLapChart.doc (165.0 KB, 9 views)

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
In my opinion its not a bike you would want for track days without prior 2 stroke knowledge. If you go out at a typical track day and try and play the point and shoot, corner camper game that 90% of people do you will not be happy. To ride that bike correctly it's all about keeping your momentum going and carrying more corner speed than you can imagine. The bike will make absolutely no torque AT ALL and will not go very fast in a straight line either. The little 125s and even the 250s shine in the corners and I'm talking about crazy corner speed. Do you really want to learn how to ride a 2 stroke at a track day with people on 600s and 1000s that can camp out in the corners, throw out the boat anchor and still go way faster? If you can keep your ego in check and not care about everyone passing you regardless of ability you will be ok. But unless if you have a friend to play with who has the same type of bike you will more than likely get discouraged because there won't be anyone to play with.

Yes it is a very cool machine. But it has it's purpose and has to be used correctly to go fast on. The only way to know is ride one yourself. But I can tell you this, if you don't ride it correctly you will have trouble. If you ride it at too low of an RPM you will load the plug up, if you scream it too much you will blow the top end. I can tell you all this shit but the only way you will know is if you buy one yourself. I've owned several 2 stroke dirtbikes and understand how they work and make power. I've riden a few different GP 2 stroke bikes at the track and they are a total different animal than a typical inline 4 or twin 4 stroke. The power curve on a 2 stroke is way shorter and defined than a 4 stroke. You have to carry stupid corner speed to ride that thing half way fast. Stupid corner speed.
Nice write up.

I'm sure I would have a blast riding it regardless of the "big bikes". But I think I'm too lazy and don't have enough free time to really maintain a 2-stroke bike. If I could ride this on trackdays and never have to worry about it then I might be all over something like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode