anyone use this suit? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 01 blue and white gsxr,07 electra glide
Years Riding: 10 years on and off
How you found us: word of mouth

anyone use this suit?

does anyone use this suit? good or bad? I plan on getting a separate back protector to use with it and what knee sliders should I get? I'm considering it for a first suit for beginner track days.
sorry I cant post links yet.Anyways its a teknic chicane 299 at motorcyclecloseouts.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 10:21 AM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

I haven't used this suit, but Teknic's are generally a good suit. From the description, it sounds like a good buy if it's in your size. Last year when I started doing track days I also picked up a closeout suit (Frank Thomas xti). It's served me well and held up when I needed it to.

EDIT: See posts below for opinions from more learned guys.

As for knee pucks, I'd order Klucky Pucks. They are inexpensive and tough, so they'll last.

Welcome to the addiction! Have you started planning your TD schedule yet?

Craig

Last edited by beac83; 01-10-2009 at 11:50 AM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Honestly, the Chicane suit is crap. Weak seams, one time crash construction. Best to buy a high quality used suit from somebody getting out of the hobby. You will get a lot more for your money.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 11:17 AM
We ride tomorrow?

Sportbike: i like 04's
Years Riding: not enough
How you found us: NESBA.com

the chicane is a one and done suit, look around for something else. the teknic violator is pretty good
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Most of the new suits in the $300-400 range are One Crash and throw them away type of suits. There are exceptions, but they are rare. You need double seams, good leather, and solid construction.

This is NOT the place to scrimp. Either buck up, get a good suit, or watch carefully for used suits on the market that are in good condition. What size do you wear?

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

www.newenough.com has Alpinestar suits for like $399 or 499 I forget.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice. It's not what I wanted to hear but I guess you get what you pay for.I went to a store and tried on a couple of alpinestars and I think I need a size 50 which they didn't have, the 48 fit but without the back and chest gear. I didn't really notice any difference in the $600-900 suits until the $1400 mark where they seemed much heftier. I'm not ignoring your advice but with other up front expenses like tires, boots, and other gear I'm gonna try this cheapo out and upgrade later if finances permit. I just want to get out there see if its for me before dumping 1500 on one item. I appreciate all your input and I'm going to try to get geared up and get out there at least a few times this season to check it out. Lots more questions coming too.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Jewrassic Park Runaway

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha FZ1 Sleeper
Years Riding: I quit smoking 6 years ago
How you found us: www.chicagorussianriders.com

The difference would be not in the quality of the material, but in construction, and that's less obvious to an untrained eye. You should look at the stiching - double or not, hidden or not, quality of the construction, location of stretch panels and other things, even if the difference is not obvious to you, it's there, and if you go down on a track, even mild lowside (very possible) the difference will cost you at least $300 in new suit, because it came apart, vs continuing wearing same suit despite some scuff marks
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Copied from http://www.apexjunkie.com

Leathers - 1 or 2 piece leathers acceptable, however two-piece leathers must have a 360 degree zipper around the waist. I STRONGLY recommend a one-piece suit. Should the zipper fail, you will lose a significant amount of skin, which will be lost to the asphalt. Cheap leathers start at $300, quality leathers usually start around $700 and go up to $2000. Anything above $1200 and you’re just paying for bling.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:43 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSidePat View Post
thanks for the advice. It's not what I wanted to hear but I guess you get what you pay for.I went to a store and tried on a couple of alpinestars and I think I need a size 50 which they didn't have, the 48 fit but without the back and chest gear. I didn't really notice any difference in the $600-900 suits until the $1400 mark where they seemed much heftier. I'm not ignoring your advice but with other up front expenses like tires, boots, and other gear I'm gonna try this cheapo out and upgrade later if finances permit. I just want to get out there see if its for me before dumping 1500 on one item. I appreciate all your input and I'm going to try to get geared up and get out there at least a few times this season to check it out. Lots more questions coming too.
If you go down and your suit comes apart a few hundred dollars saved wont matter much...

I had a Teknic Speedstar come partially apart on a highside at Autobahn.. I only ended up getting road rashed above the boot..
The fabric stretch panels were tore to shreds.. Mind you that was in a +/- 1k high end suit.. a 300$ suit would most likely have been tattered.. in my opinion the Teknic stuff is lower end budget stuff.. and I would have definately ponied up 300$ more not to have to go through "the brush"

to each their own.. but realize you came asking for advice.. and the one who was most in the know on here said "i wouldn't go for it" and you respectfully said "your gonna try the cheapo out" as you have other costs...

I have crashed Dainese, and Vanson equipment.. both times they had so little damage people would ask "what's that right there?" about the scrape...

You can find good deals if you keep an eye out.. Just try not to cost yourself 10 or 20 or 100k down the road trying to save a few hundred bucks now.. It just doesn't make sense... and speaking as someone who has spent years on crutches I can also tell you there are other "costs" that are as bad if not worse than money
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 04:24 PM
The Plumber

Sportbike: 05 SV650S
Years Riding: enough
How you found us: Another member on another board I visit

Send a message via AIM to Matoo
I had a custom suit made to my measurements and design. It cost me under $500. Has double stitching and is very well built. The guy that owns the place is constantly improving
the construction based on feed back from suit owners.
For me it was a matter of finding something that fit. I'm tall and very thin so nothing I could find off the rack fit even close to right.

"If you love your motorcycle let it go, if it comes back you've highsided"
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 06:26 PM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoo View Post
I had a custom suit made to my measurements and design. It cost me under $500. Has double stitching and is very well built. The guy that owns the place is constantly improving
the construction based on feed back from suit owners.
For me it was a matter of finding something that fit. I'm tall and very thin so nothing I could find off the rack fit even close to right.
So, where did you get this great suit made? Give the guy some props, and the rest of us hard to fit guys might give him some business.

Craig
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Eat a bag o' dix!

Sportbike: ratty one
Years Riding: a few days
How you found us: Uncle Bad Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by beac83 View Post
So, where did you get this great suit made? Give the guy some props, and the rest of us hard to fit guys might give him some business.

He doesnt want the guy to receive more business because his prices will rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
As long as their tits are bigger than their dicks, im in.

-"You will meet your destiny on the road of avoidance."

-"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

-"It's not considered premarital sex if you don't plan on getting married."
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 06:49 PM
The Plumber

Whoops, forgot the link.
http://www.tiltcustoms.com/

Here is the thread I started after it arrived. I used it for 4 track days this year and love it.
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...ad.php?t=72899

There is also a link in that thread to reviews of his suits.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 06:55 PM
We ride tomorrow?

Sportbike: i like 04's
Years Riding: not enough
How you found us: NESBA.com

for 300 bucks i would go with this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Komod...spagenameZWDVW

my experience shows that komodo runs about a 1/2 size larger than alpinestars and they are very well constructed. I have a Meso and love it, If i find someone getting out of racing who is selling one in my size I will be all over it. This looks like the Ceno suit which is their entry level suit, but this will be much better than a chicane.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

I just signed a sponsorship agreement with Spartan Leathers. These leathers are custom made and priced at only $475.

And as if that is not cheap enough, as part of the sponsorship agreement I can get CLSB members an extra 5% discount. PM me if you are interested.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

well now you guys got me all f'd up. I'm going to try to cancel my order and keep looking. I'm leaning more towards a Italian or American suit but I thought vanson leathers were more geared for drag racing. Anybody have the arlen ness? hows the fitment for these or dianese, or spidi etc. Is there any local shops that have a large variety to check out?
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 09:26 PM
The Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhix View Post
I just signed a sponsorship agreement with Spartan Leathers. These leathers are custom made and priced at only $475.

And as if that is not cheap enough, as part of the sponsorship agreement I can get CLSB members an extra 5% discount. PM me if you are interested.

Dave from Spartan is another good guy. He is very active on SVRider.com and actually got the idea to start his own when Daniel from Tilt Customs started posting on SVRider. Spartan wasn't up and running soon enough for me to order from him, but his stuff has gotten pretty go reviews.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

oh the tilt and spartan do look interestng
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoo View Post
Dave from Spartan is another good guy.
Agreed. Dave has been great.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 09:59 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Quote:
well now you guys got me all f'd up. I'm going to try to cancel my order and keep looking. I'm leaning more towards a Italian or American suit but I thought vanson leathers were more geared for drag racing. Anybody have the arlen ness? hows the fitment for these or dianese, or spidi etc. Is there any local shops that have a large variety to check out?
Vanson makes some great stuff.. but their prices are reflected...
Top of the line and made in America are going to cost you..

I hate to make things any more expensive or difficult than they have to be.. but from the looks of it (in your avatar) you have a little one.. and one thing you dont want to skimp on in this hobby is safety
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 07:45 PM

Sportbike: K7 GSXR600
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: Accident

Send a message via AIM to zstylem86
i see lots of the celtic suits from STG at the trackdays...the spartan leathers look pretty damn good for the price. i personally found a suit on ebay that retailed for $1,400 and picked it up for less than half that price. so keep looking till you find a good deal. you still have plenty of time.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 08:31 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Quote:
does anyone use this suit? good or bad? I plan on getting a separate back protector to use with it and what knee sliders should I get? I'm considering it for a first suit for beginner track days.
sorry I cant post links yet.Anyways its a teknic chicane 299 at motorcyclecloseouts.com
I have that suit. I has done me well and has been crash tested by myself three or fours times. It got retired last year as it was getting old.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 09:45 PM

Sportbike: RSV1000R, 07 ZX600R, 90 R100GS, Zuma, KLX250....
Years Riding: 30+ Years
How you found us: My Man Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstylem86 View Post
i see lots of the celtic suits from STG at the trackdays....
The Celtic suit is an awesome deal. We have sold over 1000 of them.

The reason that the price is so good is because that is our exclusive design and we have them made specificaly for us with KNOX armor. You are not paying a distributor mark up and we sponsor noone so you don't get stuck paying part os XYZ's freebies. We beleive that 1000 guys riding our suits speaks volumes. BTW, two RoadRacing World staffers ride our Celtic suits and they paid retail for them.

I myself wear full custom (I'm built like a T-Rex...!) and have suits by Z Custom and also full kangaroo suits made by GiaMoto (they do a lot of Moto GP stuff). The Roo suit is awsome, light as a feather and looks awsome (it's Italian so duh.....) BUT it is a one or two crash suit. I bought it knowing that and accept it. I'm not a crasher so I'm cool with that.

Bonnie and I have owned several (like 10) Z-custom suits over the last 12 years and they are bulletproof, shit make that bombproof. I can wear just about any suit I want for free and the fact is I gladly pay full retail for my custom Z suits, they are that good and Z's service is outstanding.

I like having two or three suits because it gives them the opportunity to dry and gives me a spare. I ride 60+ days a season and sweat alot in these puppies.

DON'T skimp on some unknown suit. There are some custom suits out there that "look" good. Wait until a few (like 20 or 30) hit the pavement and then see how good they are. Figuring out you own a POS in the EMS rig is a experience to be avoided and skin grafts suck. As an former downhill skateboarder I know.....

Remember.. ANY suit that does not fit properly will not offer proper protection. Most guys are riding around in suits that are too large and can catch and tear. If your suit feels good walking around it the pits, it does not fit you properly. Remember also sweat (actually the salts in it) are your leathers enemy. Send your leathers to Alexa or Bill annually for a washing and conditioning.

My .02 worth.

Monte
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

the celtic was one of the first I looked at but I don't see a size 50 us. I tried on a a* sp1 at the store and size 48 fit well without a back protector. They didn't have size 50 in stock. I also tried a dainese size 50 that felt the same in the chest/gut but loose in the legs. Someone has these arlen ness roo on sale but they also seem to cut off at 48 they seem nice for under a grand. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for deals.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 08:09 AM

Sportbike: RSV1000R, 07 ZX600R, 90 R100GS, Zuma, KLX250....
Years Riding: 30+ Years
How you found us: My Man Odyssey

Quote:
the celtic was one of the first I looked at but I don't see a size 50 us. I tried on a a* sp1 at the store and size 48 fit well without a back protector. They didn't have size 50 in stock. I also tried a dainese size 50 that felt the same in the chest/gut but loose in the legs. Someone has these arlen ness roo on sale but they also seem to cut off at 48 they seem nice for under a grand. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for deals.
Call the guys at STG..

We underestimated size 50 demand.. sorry.

Although I personally like Kangaroo I am in a different situation than you... I would not own one as my only suit, make sense? Flat out, they will not offer you the length of service if you fall (one or two crash suits) and they are harder to fix (ask Alexa aka Leather Goddess) Cowhide (and top-grain only!!!) are the best and most durable. As with anythng the Devil is in the details such as stitching, seam construction and zipper choices. These are all areas where makers cut cost via parts (quality zippers are $$$) and labor (to roll and stitch seams).

Call 888-STG-GEAR and talk to a product specialists... every guy there RIDES ON THE TRACK and uses what they sell so they can answer fit questions. We also have some great videos to educate you.

Monte
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrueger View Post
for 300 bucks i would go with this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Komod...spagenameZWDVW

my experience shows that komodo runs about a 1/2 size larger than alpinestars and they are very well constructed. I have a Meso and love it, If i find someone getting out of racing who is selling one in my size I will be all over it. This looks like the Ceno suit which is their entry level suit, but this will be much better than a chicane.
I have crash tested my Komodo ceno suit and it held up extremely well. It was in the very fast Turn 5 at Putnam. To top it off I was pinned under the bike as it slid across the width of the track. The leather, armor and seam stitches held together no problem. I walked away without a scratch except for a bruise where the frame slider landed on my inner thigh. I still wear it knowing that I'm protected if it happens again. The Ceno model has been discontinued due to the newer KX-P model but they can still be found at lowered prices around the internet. I think safety first has a few that they're trying to unload.

Track Junkie #79

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode