Daytona Coverage Today. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Motorcycle Racing News. Forum specificly for racing news updates and standings.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Daytona Coverage Today.

SPEED is broadcasting the tape delayed Daytona 200 in just about a half hour (12:30 PM 3/17). It is also going to broadcast tape of the the Flat Track from Daytona at 5 PM.
More taped road racing coverage of the other classes at Daytona is scheduled for later in the evening.
Check listings and set you DVR's!
This could very well be the last road racing and flat track coverage ever on that channel.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 02:11 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Dan Ortega #966 running 23rd

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 07:56 PM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

Daytona Coverage Today.

Scott Ryan, another local, finished 12th

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 09:46 AM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

It was cool to see Elena and Melissa in the top 10. Go Ladies!

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 01:02 PM
sv corners faster than r6

Sportbike: 09R6/13KTM 250xc race,SV1K,g1 sv proj.
Years Riding: >30 yrs
How you found us: Under a rock

I was hoping Scotty could catch up to the ladies and pass them. But then again, that shaggy beard has got to slow you down... LOL. Melissa must have ridden the wheels off her Honda to stay up after the ride through penalty.

Another couple of locals - Ricardo Valdez and Shawn Hill rode both sportbike races. Ricky got a 12th...

SV88/SVR6/Steve sv23
CCS MW 88 AMA Enduro B 631

Last edited by fastsv650; 03-18-2013 at 01:04 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 01:07 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Where did Shawn Hill finish?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 06:20 PM
sv corners faster than r6

Sportbike: 09R6/13KTM 250xc race,SV1K,g1 sv proj.
Years Riding: >30 yrs
How you found us: Under a rock

He finished at the back of the pack in race one and did 2-3 laps the second race. Since he started, he obviously qualified. Probably mechanical issues.

SV88/SVR6/Steve sv23
CCS MW 88 AMA Enduro B 631
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:11 PM

Sportbike: Suzuki SV650
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Crystal Ball

I thought Ricky got 15th on Saturday and 18th on Sunday

www.MidwestTrackDay.com
www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday
www.speedmob.com

Please remember the Roadracing World Action Fund in the upcoming holiday season
https://secure.echoalley.com/actionfund/
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:57 PM

Sportbike: All kinds.....
Years Riding: motorcycles are dangerous
How you found us: as

Ricky, Scotty, and myself traveled together down there. We tested at Roebling Road the weekend before. Ricky entered a bunch of races..did really good! Won the ASRA race and some of the sprints.

My original plan was to just practice on Friday same with Scotty. Well I drove all night and didn’t get the RRR until 11 ish on Friday so I decided I would enter a couple of races to shake off the cobwebs instead of trying to ride a trackday after driving 18 hours and no sleep. (Scotty had trailer problems so he didn’t get there until Saturday morning)I entered GTU, MWSS, and ASRA Sportbike…Thinking I would get some laps in. I’ve never been to RRR..it’s a cool flowing track. The weekend was pretty much a melee. Tons of crashes and red flags. (we had 2 chopper rides out of MWSS). On Saturday I had GTU which got red flagged and called on lap 5…so that race was kinda lame…but at least I knew how the track went.

The ASRA Race actually ran complete without any red flags. Scotty finished a couple of spots ahead of me. I got into the 15s there. Looking back, I wish I would of entered a few more races and put on new tires cuz I know I could of gone a couple of seconds faster to run up front so Ricky and I could of given the East Coast boys nightmares.

I did that a couple of years ago at Summit Point. Scotty and traveled out there. By the end of the weekend I won a couple of races and was in the lead pack…I love showing up to new places and going good!

Daytona was well Daytona..it was kind of cold. The Dunlop spec (Daytona) tires are lets say…not even hockey pucks…more like bowling balls. No grip and rocks.
All of us crashed in practice/qualifying at some point. Scotty crashed in the Chicane twice (just like everyone else did, I think there were 38 crashes in the Chicane). Ricky crashed in the Horseshoe. I crashed in T2. We all got our stuff together.

Ricky did pretty good in SS. Started to figure things out. I think he took 15th and 18th. Not bad for his first time at Daytona!

Scotty kicked ASS! Took 12th. Finally a great result from him. He’s had lots of bad luck there over the years. He stopped “popping” motors! You know why? He finally has Matt Drucker (MD Racing) building his motors! Now he has fast motors that don’t blow up…just like me! Matt is also now building Ricky’s motors! MD is the man!

My 200 was ok I guess…I crashed in the first qualifying on Friday. It was cold out and I just high sided myself to the moon in T2 (I took out the Speed TV camera in the process). My Dianese Trickster leather saved my butt. (the suit is awesome btw) I dinged my wrist and shoulder tho.

We got it back together in time for the 2nd qualifying. Ended up qualifying 27th. (I was off about 3 seconds off my times I ran that last October). 5 seconds off my time there in 08 for the ROC. (it’s really really annoying to show up to a national and not run the pace I’ve run at a place…the Spec tire and spec fuel really make it a different ball game)

The race we got a good start and a great first pit stop. It was like 15 seconds. We were running up around 14 or 15 th place for a bit. Probably would/should of finished 15th or 16th...but... On about lap 34 my oil light came on. As you might or might not know on Yamahas it’s an oil level not oil pressure so I rode it back to the pits. That impromptu pit stop took us about 8 mins or so. It put us back 2 laps. Ended up finishing 20th even having to pit on the white flag lap for a splash and go (FUEL). That stop on lap 34 totally messed up our fuel mileage and we ended up doing the entire race on just 2 rear tires. Talk about riding a sketchy tire for 40 some laps. I kept it rubber side down and finished. I guess I should be a bit more happy about the result but I really wanted to get top 15 if not higher. (at least we finished in the money) It took me about half way through the race to figure out how to ride that Spec tire….(they are terrible by the way!). I have to get the bike totally sideways to get it through a corner…almost like ice racing…LOL It’s one of these would of could of…I’m really annoyed that I didn’t get back down to the 53/54 range but it is what it is.

All in all a great weekend from all of us! It was good fun!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 06:10 PM

Sportbike: All kinds.....
Years Riding: motorcycles are dangerous
How you found us: as

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
Where did Shawn Hill finish?
37th in SS Race 1 and 48th in SS race 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode