Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Help! Half my house has no power!

888 views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  Nick 600 F3 
#1 ·
Here's the story..

On Monday morning (damn early), my house had a power failure. Sometime in the day ( I was gone after that), the power came back on. Well, most of it. Two of the three bedrooms and the hallway (on one breaker) had no power. One part of the kitchen and the laundry room lights (also one circuit) didn't work. Since these both were on two circuit breakers, I figured somehow the breakers got fried, even though they both switched on/off via the lever.

I went to Sears and bought a multimeter (always good to have) and a couple circuit breakers (with correct amperage). I replaced them and *blam*, still no power. I took them back thinking I bought the wrong type (even though they physically fit into the spot). Talked to a guy there and he said it was because they were different brands, but this other (third brand) would work. :confused Why would the power care which brand it was?

Anyways, replaced them again and STILL no power. What could this be? Am I missing something? I checked for power with the multimeter, the line I tied into one of the circuit breakers has 120V, but the other for some reason doesn't.

1.) Is it the circuit breaker brand? Do all the breakers need to be the same brand?
2.) Where do these lines going into the circuit breaker go? Could these two somehow be disconnected from there?

I would just rather not pay an electrician to do this since I can probably handle it myself :rolleyes

Chris

See less See more
#29 ·
Hahahaha I think he's not calling Jim out of Spite now :D

Hey grover Thee thing about pulling the meter is correct. it should kill the power to the panal just make sure to test and re-test before you touch anythig without insulation.

Always thinl like current. Say toi youself "if I was current would I want to flow here", if the answer is yes then stop :D

Oh by the way call Jim

#32 ·
Bout damn time. :D :D

Hey Jim, never knew you were in that line of work. Any chance you can get a deal on a transfer switch so I can hook my generator into my house? How much does one of those go for?

#33 ·
JimGoFast said:
OK everyone rest easy!!!!!!!!! grover called, i will be ok now!! he's safe, maks is safe and i will save him money!!!! :cheers
Good now I can stop hitting the refresh button and get back to work.:laughing

#34 ·
GsxrTony said:
Bout damn time. :D :D

Hey Jim, never knew you were in that line of work. Any chance you can get a deal on a transfer switch so I can hook my generator into my house? How much does one of those go for?
Yeah i can get you a transfer switch. get me the specs (indoor/outdoor, voltage, phases, and amperage) and I will get you a price on it.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.