Anyone want to talk me out of a Sony? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Unregister User
 
smurph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lake Villa, Il
Posts: 643
Location: Lake Villa, Il
Sportbike: 09 Buell 1125CR, 02 Yamaha Warrior
Years Riding: .
How you found us: Dumb luck!
           
Anyone want to talk me out of a Sony?

Been debating which camera to buy for a while now, had it narrowed down to the Nikon D5100 and the Canon T3i. Been doing the research online between the two and have handled both at the big box stores. It was tough to get a decent feeling for them being attatched to the counters. Based on others post on here recently, and wanting to deal with someone who could provide support as I am a newb to a dslr, the wife and I went to Wolf (Ritz) camera in Gurnee today. Handled both cameras and the Canon was taking the lead till they showed us the new Sony A57 and A65.

He (store manager) was a fan of the Sony and was pretty convincing about the features. I hadn't even considered the Sony line. Funny thing is about 6 months ago we were at BB looking and the wife stated how nice the Sony was then, I told here to put it down, we were not going to buy a Sony! Well we left Gurnee and I wanted another opinion, off to Wolf in Vernon Hills! Spoke with Bill there and only brought up the Canon and Nikon as options. He once again went through the cameras and had nothing but praise for the Sony in that group. He didn't dog any other brands ( he shoots Nikon) once again I left wanting to buy a Sony.

Thoughts, comments, concerns are welcome.

BTW we are waiting till Friday as Canon is releasing the T4i, looking to see if that will sway my opinion.

They will price match online, so if you know of any places to get a deal let me know. I have been on BH and Adorama.

Nesba #74 I
smurph is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 03:34 AM
Cuddlie as a koala
 
YZFRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Where its free.
Posts: 7,511
Location: Where its free.
Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.
           
Now go look at the prices of the lenses for Sony. And the LACK of decent selection of ANYTHING. Although it could be worse, you could want a Pentax.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
YZFRob is offline  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 06:10 AM
The Halo hides my Horns
 
Lonely Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 12,690
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google
           
I'm a lover of Underdogs, but when it comes to cameras, there is really only Nikon and Canon at our level. The rest are just wannabes.

Sony has some great ideas (original or borrowed), they just haven't put forth the effort to really take the market as they could have. Having a great idea and pulling it off half-assed so it looks good on paper helps no one in the long run. And besides, have you paid any attention to Sony in general lately? Their run by a bunch of old men who no longer want to be bold...that's why they are losing market shares in just about all categories. I couldn't count on Sony to be there in the long run for my camera.

Remember, when you're buying a D-SLR, you're marrying the lenses. The camera bodies will come and go (Assuming the company you are considering even keeps making cameras in the future). If you get a decent Nikon, you can use lenses they built all the way back to the 60's. In fact, my favorite Macro lens was the *first* computer designed consumer lens, made in 78 or 79...and to this day, very few lenses can touch it (it's still used in the medical field for accurate medical macros). So look at the lenses, and go grab a camera and feel it in your hand, while flipping through the menu system. That will probably tip your decision.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
Lonely Raven is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Slow Old Guy.
 
Wink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SS Barrington
Posts: 17,260
Location: SS Barrington
Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFRob View Post
Now go look at the prices of the lenses for Sony. And the LACK of decent selection of ANYTHING. Although it could be worse, you could want a Pentax.
Seriously?

I have two Konica-Minolta Maxxum 7D camera bodies. After Sony bought Konica-Minolta, these cameras were updated just a little bit and became the Sony a900, which was their top of the line DLSR. GREAT camera, GREAT reviews. However, this was before the full frame cameras started becoming readily available.

Enter Canon and Nikon. Nikon came out with the D3, which blew everything else on the planet away in ISO range, shot speed, and full frame quality. Quickly, Canon caught up, and they have been leap frogging each other since. Now Nikon D4 is available... etc...

Jumping back to my Maxxums. I have TWENTY plus lenses for the MAXXUMS, it is a WIDELY available mount and format, and is NOT limited in choice at all. (Same format lenses that are used for the Sony a-series) The beauty of Sony is that the Image Stabilization is BUILT IN. In the BODY. This means that ALL your lenses have stabilization, VR, VS or whatever your brand wants to call it. IN the Nikon and Canon world, you pay for stabilization in EVERY lens that you want it on instead of paying for it once.

FAR cheaper alternatives for lenses, and the major players make lenses for SONY as well as lenses from SONY directly. In regards to quality, you get up to 24.3megapixel images, WITH stabilization, and you can shoot faster than ANY other DLSR.

I must be missing out on what is wrong with this choice. As I mentioned, I have a WIDE variety of lenses, even zoom lenses that are F2.8 glass all the way through.

Now.. do I think that Nikon and Canon are better? Absolutely. But for the money, the Sony a77 for example, is the best bang for the buck IMHO.

And not that it matters, but I have Nikon, Pentax, Canon and Konica-Minolta cameras. I have also shot the Canon 1D and the Nikon D3 units.

FWIW - If I had unlimited funding, I'd replace all that I have with Nikon 4D and Nikon stabilized lenses.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
Wink is offline  
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Registered User
 
ajw85's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 781
Location: Lakeview
Sportbike: Monster
Years Riding: 1+
How you found us: googles
    
Just to stir the pot; Pentax also has in body stabilization.
ajw85 is offline  
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Slow Old Guy.
 
Wink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SS Barrington
Posts: 17,260
Location: SS Barrington
Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me
           
Yep, and I have 3 Pentax and a wide variety of lenses for them as well.

For old school stuff, I prefer to shoot my Pentax to be honest with you. I just have lower quality glass with that, so I use my Konica-Minolta mostly.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
Wink is offline  
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Old Squid on a Blade
 
Blade Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Carpentersville
Posts: 9,389
Location: Carpentersville
Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here
           
I have an original Alpha 100 and still love it. At least when I can get it away from the Ex...
I big sales point for me was that the anti shake is right in the camera body. It makes lens upgrades much cheaper than the others.
The features and quality seem to be just fine and comperable to the big boys.
I'm looking to get a newer model at some point to stop the camera wars.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
Blade Runner is offline  
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Unregister User
 
smurph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lake Villa, Il
Posts: 643
Location: Lake Villa, Il
Sportbike: 09 Buell 1125CR, 02 Yamaha Warrior
Years Riding: .
How you found us: Dumb luck!
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
I'm a lover of Underdogs, but when it comes to cameras, there is really only Nikon and Canon at our level. The rest are just wannabes.

Sony has some great ideas (original or borrowed), they just haven't put forth the effort to really take the market as they could have. Having a great idea and pulling it off half-assed so it looks good on paper helps no one in the long run. And besides, have you paid any attention to Sony in general lately? Their run by a bunch of old men who no longer want to be bold...that's why they are losing market shares in just about all categories. I couldn't count on Sony to be there in the long run for my camera.

Remember, when you're buying a D-SLR, you're marrying the lenses. The camera bodies will come and go (Assuming the company you are considering even keeps making cameras in the future). If you get a decent Nikon, you can use lenses they built all the way back to the 60's. In fact, my favorite Macro lens was the *first* computer designed consumer lens, made in 78 or 79...and to this day, very few lenses can touch it (it's still used in the medical field for accurate medical macros). So look at the lenses, and go grab a camera and feel it in your hand, while flipping through the menu system. That will probably tip your decision.
What camera do you shoot? I don't feel that Sony is making the same level cameras on the high end, the seem to be aimed at the entry to mid level photographer. I am certain I am not at your level, this will be my first D-SLR.

Yes it should be a concern whether the company will be in it for the long haul. Sony seems pretty aggressive in this market right now, and I feel we are about to round the corner where technology is hitting this market (see some of the features of the new Nikon D3200). Viewfinder capabilities through your phone and remote control capabilities. They seem to be a crude version so far, but gives us a peak as to what is to come.

As Wink pointed out the glass can cost less with the image stabilization in the body. I understand what you are saying as far as being married to a brand, exactly the point that Bill from Wolf pointed out. He said he is married to Nikon due to the fact he has about 25k worth of Nikon body's and lenses. Though the Nikon I was looking at doesn't have the AF motor in the body, it is in the lens, so the older lenses would need to be manually focused. I have considered the D7000 but do to the size of it (wife will be shooting it as well) and the fact it doesn't have the articulating screen it has fallen down the list of cameras. Playing with the Canon, Nikon, and Sony, the Nikon falls last for the feel and menu system for me. Canon and Sony felt and navigated much better with the Sony feeling the best in my hands. Sony was a little larger grip than the Canon, which felt better for me yet still small enough for my wife to like it still.

Like I stated before I am patiently waiting for the release of the T4i on Friday as I am still reluctant to jump on the Sony bandwagon, after all it is a Canon and Nikon world.

Nesba #74 I

Last edited by smurph; 06-05-2012 at 10:34 AM.
smurph is offline  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 AM
TMC
Registered User
 
TMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lockport, Ill
Posts: 473
Location: Lockport, Ill
Sportbike: Yamaha R6, YZ250f
Years Riding: 10+
How you found us: local riders
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
Seriously?

I have two Konica-Minolta Maxxum 7D camera bodies. After Sony bought Konica-Minolta, these cameras were updated just a little bit and became the Sony a900, which was their top of the line DLSR. GREAT camera, GREAT reviews. However, this was before the full frame cameras started becoming readily available.

Enter Canon and Nikon. Nikon came out with the D3, which blew everything else on the planet away in ISO range, shot speed, and full frame quality. Quickly, Canon caught up, and they have been leap frogging each other since. Now Nikon D4 is available... etc...

Jumping back to my Maxxums. I have TWENTY plus lenses for the MAXXUMS, it is a WIDELY available mount and format, and is NOT limited in choice at all. (Same format lenses that are used for the Sony a-series) The beauty of Sony is that the Image Stabilization is BUILT IN. In the BODY. This means that ALL your lenses have stabilization, VR, VS or whatever your brand wants to call it. IN the Nikon and Canon world, you pay for stabilization in EVERY lens that you want it on instead of paying for it once.

FAR cheaper alternatives for lenses, and the major players make lenses for SONY as well as lenses from SONY directly. In regards to quality, you get up to 24.3megapixel images, WITH stabilization, and you can shoot faster than ANY other DLSR.

I must be missing out on what is wrong with this choice. As I mentioned, I have a WIDE variety of lenses, even zoom lenses that are F2.8 glass all the way through.

Now.. do I think that Nikon and Canon are better? Absolutely. But for the money, the Sony a77 for example, is the best bang for the buck IMHO.

And not that it matters, but I have Nikon, Pentax, Canon and Konica-Minolta cameras. I have also shot the Canon 1D and the Nikon D3 units.

FWIW - If I had unlimited funding, I'd replace all that I have with Nikon 4D and Nikon stabilized lenses.
Let me state that the Max 7D is still my favorite camera ever. I had two of them, gripped with a bunch of minolta glass, flashes, etc. Awesome camera that I still miss.

I sold those when Sony bought KM and I would never go back to sony mounts. They are good cameras for sure but I've learned to love how easy it is to get anything Canon, anywhere, anytime.

Troy Carter
2006 R6
2006 YZ250f
I take pictures of people.
TMC is offline  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Unregister User
 
smurph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lake Villa, Il
Posts: 643
Location: Lake Villa, Il
Sportbike: 09 Buell 1125CR, 02 Yamaha Warrior
Years Riding: .
How you found us: Dumb luck!
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post

I sold those when Sony bought KM and I would never go back to sony mounts. They are good cameras for sure but I've learned to love how easy it is to get anything Canon, anywhere, anytime.
This is another valid point.

Nesba #74 I
smurph is offline  
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 12:14 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D
 
FiReBReTHa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 11,172
Location: Aurora, IL
Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins
           
Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
Most of the photogs on here own Nikons.

The rest are just weirdos.




jk lol

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
FiReBReTHa is offline  
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Slow Old Guy.
 
Wink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SS Barrington
Posts: 17,260
Location: SS Barrington
Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
Let me state that the Max 7D is still my favorite camera ever. I had two of them, gripped with a bunch of minolta glass, flashes, etc. Awesome camera that I still miss.

I sold those when Sony bought KM and I would never go back to sony mounts. They are good cameras for sure but I've learned to love how easy it is to get anything Canon, anywhere, anytime.
For pro-level, Nikon and Canon are hands down the top of the line, no doubt.

Either are great high-end choices.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
Wink is offline  
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 06:32 AM
Registered User
 
under200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: norridge, IL
Posts: 5,837
Location: norridge, IL
Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search
           
I have a T2i and love it.
Since you mentioned the T3 here is a deal I saw today at Buy.com, $450 for the kit after $50 rebate. Guessing no tax too as long as it ships from outside of IL. Pretty good deal. Free shipping
http://www.buy.com/prod/canon-eos-re...ngid=199590489

Under200
under200 is offline  
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:14 AM
TMC
Registered User
 
TMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lockport, Ill
Posts: 473
Location: Lockport, Ill
Sportbike: Yamaha R6, YZ250f
Years Riding: 10+
How you found us: local riders
  
I think that T2i is a nice deal. I've had/used the T1i/T2i/T3i and the T2i is the best bang for the buck.

Troy Carter
2006 R6
2006 YZ250f
I take pictures of people.
TMC is offline  
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Chief Apex Inspector
 
BLARNEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 10,598
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......
           
Interesting stuff.... Been thinking about a DSLR for a long while now.


Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
BLARNEY is offline  
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Chief Apex Inspector
 
BLARNEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 10,598
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......
           
Have to say the Nikon D5100 looks like a very nice piece....


Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
BLARNEY is offline  
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Unregister User
 
smurph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lake Villa, Il
Posts: 643
Location: Lake Villa, Il
Sportbike: 09 Buell 1125CR, 02 Yamaha Warrior
Years Riding: .
How you found us: Dumb luck!
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
I think that T2i is a nice deal. I've had/used the T1i/T2i/T3i and the T2i is the best bang for the buck.
The t2i doesn't have the articulating screen which is a deal breaker for us. I would have to go to the T3i. Yes I have a few friends that have the t1i and the t3i both nice cameras.

Nesba #74 I
smurph is offline  
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Unregister User
 
smurph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lake Villa, Il
Posts: 643
Location: Lake Villa, Il
Sportbike: 09 Buell 1125CR, 02 Yamaha Warrior
Years Riding: .
How you found us: Dumb luck!
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARNEY View Post
Have to say the Nikon D5100 looks like a very nice piece....


Tom
It is! Just didn't feel right in my hands.

Nesba #74 I
smurph is offline  
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 09:47 AM
TMC
Registered User
 
TMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lockport, Ill
Posts: 473
Location: Lockport, Ill
Sportbike: Yamaha R6, YZ250f
Years Riding: 10+
How you found us: local riders
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurph View Post
The t2i doesn't have the articulating screen which is a deal breaker for us. I would have to go to the T3i. Yes I have a few friends that have the t1i and the t3i both nice cameras.
meh...the screen is nice but after using both it's a very minor point to me. Kinda like bendy straws. Neat but not really something you need.

Troy Carter
2006 R6
2006 YZ250f
I take pictures of people.
TMC is offline  
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Registered User
 
under200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: norridge, IL
Posts: 5,837
Location: norridge, IL
Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurph View Post
The t2i doesn't have the articulating screen which is a deal breaker for us. I would have to go to the T3i. Yes I have a few friends that have the t1i and the t3i both nice cameras.
Unless your doing lots of self portraits the swing out screen is not very useful.

Under200
under200 is offline  
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Chief Apex Inspector
 
BLARNEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 10,598
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......
           
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...00_comparison/

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
BLARNEY is offline  
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Slow Old Guy.
 
Wink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SS Barrington
Posts: 17,260
Location: SS Barrington
Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me
           
I basically never use the screens on DSLR cameras other than menus and set-up.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
Wink is offline  
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Unregister User
 
smurph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lake Villa, Il
Posts: 643
Location: Lake Villa, Il
Sportbike: 09 Buell 1125CR, 02 Yamaha Warrior
Years Riding: .
How you found us: Dumb luck!
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
I basically never use the screens on DSLR cameras other than menus and set-up.
I feel the articulating screen will be useful for the video portion and low angle shots. Does this still apply to Sony being its a EVF vs OVF?

Nesba #74 I
smurph is offline  
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Slow Old Guy.
 
Wink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SS Barrington
Posts: 17,260
Location: SS Barrington
Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me
           
In the future, new Sony devices will not support OVF. MY DSLR devices all are OVF.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
Wink is offline  
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Unregister User
 
smurph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lake Villa, Il
Posts: 643
Location: Lake Villa, Il
Sportbike: 09 Buell 1125CR, 02 Yamaha Warrior
Years Riding: .
How you found us: Dumb luck!
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARNEY View Post
Yeah I have watched that video as well as the others on their sight. Actually one of the better comparisons. The colors on the video from the Nikon left much to be desire, the detail in the pics from the Nikon were great.

Nesba #74 I
smurph is offline  
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:48 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP
 
shadrach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: South Loop & Cary
Posts: 11,948
Location: South Loop & Cary
Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google
           
Go somewhere you can handle the devices other than BB. You need to hold and operate them, feel their weight, button location, etc. I was set on a Canon years ago until I picked up the D40. Over 30k exposures on that body and still snapping photos like a champ.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
shadrach is offline  
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Chief Apex Inspector
 
BLARNEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 10,598
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......
           
I have to say, I like the menu simplicity of the Canon.


Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
BLARNEY is offline  
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Unregister User
 
smurph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lake Villa, Il
Posts: 643
Location: Lake Villa, Il
Sportbike: 09 Buell 1125CR, 02 Yamaha Warrior
Years Riding: .
How you found us: Dumb luck!
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post
Go somewhere you can handle the devices other than BB. You need to hold and operate them, feel their weight, button location, etc. I was set on a Canon years ago until I picked up the D40. Over 30k exposures on that body and still snapping photos like a champ.
I did, I have been to three different ritz/wolf camera locations. Two of the three are the ones that suggest I look seriously at the Sony line. The third was completely unbiased and didn't give much imput at all. They really didn't show me any features of any of them at all.

Nesba #74 I

Last edited by smurph; 06-07-2012 at 02:11 PM.
smurph is offline  
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 02:25 PM
TMC
Registered User
 
TMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lockport, Ill
Posts: 473
Location: Lockport, Ill
Sportbike: Yamaha R6, YZ250f
Years Riding: 10+
How you found us: local riders
  
Most Ritz/Wolf stores didn't stock any canon for a long time for some reason so they became sony fanboys because they had them in stock.

Troy Carter
2006 R6
2006 YZ250f
I take pictures of people.
TMC is offline  
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Chief Apex Inspector
 
BLARNEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 10,598
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......
           
BB does a Nikon / Canon bundle that is interesting...

$950 - Nikon D5100 Black 16.2MP DSLR Camera Kit, Bag, 16GB Memory Card & 55-300mm Lens

or

$1200 - Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18.0MP DSLR Camera, Bag, 16GB Memory Card & 70-300mm Lens

$870 - Sony - Sony Alpha a35 16.2MP DSLR Camera Kit, 16GB Memory Card and Extra 75-300mm Lens


Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE

Last edited by BLARNEY; 06-07-2012 at 02:35 PM.
BLARNEY is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome