WTB Canon F/1.8 or F/2.8 lens - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 1992 Kawasaki Ninja ZX600D
Years Riding: 14 years
How you found us: through a friend

Send a message via AIM to 92Ninja Guy Send a message via MSN to 92Ninja Guy Send a message via Yahoo to 92Ninja Guy
WTB Canon F/1.8 or F/2.8 lens

I am looking for a reasonably priced F/1.8 or F/2.18 Lens. I was looking at the 50mm EF F/1.8 II but was reading bad reviews on the plastic mount to the camera rather than metal. I guess some people had issues with it getting stuck and breaking (the lens and/or camera)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 06:12 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

You using it on DX or FX?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to 92Ninja Guy Send a message via MSN to 92Ninja Guy Send a message via Yahoo to 92Ninja Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
You using it on DX or FX?
Not sure what you mean by DX or FX.

I am shooting on a Digital Rebel XT. I am just looking for a decent low-light lens because the lowest non-telephoto lens I have is the standard 15-55mm F/3.5-5.6 (which I also noticed is a plastic mount rather than metal like my 75-300 f/4-5.6). All the negative reviews on the lens above (50mm f/1.8) where people were having issues with the with it getting stuck and then either breaking the lens and/or camera I was a bit turned off.

I also noticed that there are weird looking ultra-slim lenses which could also work but not I don't know anyone that has tried them.

Last edited by 92Ninja Guy; 02-08-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 11:58 AM
YO MAMA

think you got a DX "crop sensor" buy a cheap lens for that.
1.8 youll like. dont like the build? buy a nikon to canon lens adapter and get the 50mm 1.8 i think it is. nothing but good reviews.

OR buy a nikon you want and that lens.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 06:19 PM

Sportbike: SV650, WR250X
Years Riding: 3 Years
How you found us: Google!

FX and DX are the two categories of DSLR's in Nikon's line-up which (as mentioned) determine whether or not the sensor/body is a full frame (35mm) or not. In the Nikon lineup, FX is full frame, DX is cropped. With Canon, though, they're either Full Frame or ASPC bodies. The difference between Full/not full is the angles, so if you choose the wrong sensor style lens, you won't get the true focal length (though you'll still be able to shoot just fine).

The Rebel XT is a APSC body (from what I have gathered) so any of Canon's EF-S lens will be "true to size". To my understanding you can run a full frame lens on it but as you start to get into the wide angles you'll have a longer effective focal length than normal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here!

I personally use a Nikon, so I can't speak on behalf of precisely what lens to look for, however it may be worth your while to search/keep an eye on Slickdeals.net, maybe look into Sigma prime lens or something like that. And typically I feel that reviews are pretty true when it comes to DSLR lenses.

Prime lenses are a ton of fun, they really narrow the ways you can take pictures so it strains more creativity. And a low f stop is nice for DOF.

Last edited by leed; 02-08-2013 at 06:22 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 PM
YO MAMA

In short.

You have a cropped sensor.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 08:26 PM

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

All bullshit. Buy a Sony and you'll be set!!!!

You better be nice to America or we will bring democracy to your country.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Another Polak

Sportbike: '05 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: Since '04
How you found us: Friend

Get it, you will like it and it's only 120$.
I have 5D and for a cheap lens this guy it's pretty good.
On your camera this lens will be 80mm not 50, but still pretty good for low light and portraits.
When I was buying my lens, guy at Calumet askd me how many I want lol.

" Never drive faster, than your guardian angel can fly."

My Garage

PSN: chamala2000

Peter
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2000 View Post
Get it, you will like it and it's only 120$.
I have 5D and for a cheap lens this guy it's pretty good.
On your camera this lens will be 80mm not 50, but still pretty good for low light and portraits.
When I was buying my lens, guy at Calumet askd me how many I want lol.
That is good to know that it will be 80mm and not 50mm. How do you determine that? I am wondering because I'd like to see if if the same goes for my 75-300 lens as well. I will have to see how far away that means I would have to be in order to get a full frame photo.

I was looking at my lenses over the weekend and only my 75-300mm has a metal mount. The 15-55mm that came with the camera has a plastic mount, so that alleviates a bit of the reservations I had with the 50mm plastic mount. This also mounts from the white dot while the 75-300mm mounts at the red dot. No clue what that means, just know that the lens fits

I am still a little concerned with the negative reviews that people got it stuck on their camera but I know there are always going to be people with bad horror stories and people that have absolutely no problems.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Another Polak

Sportbike: '05 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: Since '04
How you found us: Friend

Not full frame cameras has smaller sensor, so to cover that they have a multiplier.
If you take any Canon lens, you have and multiply the value by 1.6 (Nikon by 1.5)
So your 50mm x 1.6 = 80mm
Crop sensor cameras have advantage when shooting far away, because you will gain zoom. Your 300mm ends up being 480mm, but shooting with wide angle you will lose on the width.
Canons have white and red dot.
FF cameras can only use lenses with red dot, other canon cameras can use both. Lenses with white dot have longer back portion, and if I would put this lens with white dot on the FF camera, while hitting the shutter button, mirror would hit the back of the lens. Oops.
50mm has plastic mount, cheap lens and super light.

" Never drive faster, than your guardian angel can fly."

My Garage

PSN: chamala2000

Peter
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2000 View Post
Not full frame cameras has smaller sensor, so to cover that they have a multiplier.
If you take any Canon lens, you have and multiply the value by 1.6 (Nikon by 1.5)
So your 50mm x 1.6 = 80mm
Crop sensor cameras have advantage when shooting far away, because you will gain zoom. Your 300mm ends up being 480mm, but shooting with wide angle you will lose on the width.
Canons have white and red dot.
FF cameras can only use lenses with red dot, other canon cameras can use both. Lenses with white dot have longer back portion, and if I would put this lens with white dot on the FF camera, while hitting the shutter button, mirror would hit the back of the lens. Oops.
50mm has plastic mount, cheap lens and super light.
Thanks for the explanation there! Mine has both white and red dot. My 15-55 standard lens that came with the camera uses the white dot and 75-300 uses the red. I'll have to keep that magnification in mind when buying a lens. Don't want to have to stand 20-30ft away in order to get a decent picture or my subject in full frame. Especially with a fixed lens w/no zoom capabilities...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode